Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2013.07.18, 07:40 PM   #8521
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer
Default Grupo Niche - Eres Tu

What I've heard of the new Grupo Niche album (which is most of it) tells me it is the best new salsa album I've heard for several years. I'm wondering if some or all of these songs are remakes, however. I don't recognize the songs, but what I can make out of the Spanish language comments on youtube makes gives me the idea there might be some remakes. Plus the quality is unusually consistent from song to song. (I love Grupo Niche, but I don't think I've ever heard an album of theirs that was really very consistent.)
Grupo Niche - Eres Tu
Not very Ringoesque, but at least it's not Pitchfork hipster bait, and I think Ringo would approve of some Latin music showing up on a forum devoted to her.

This old Cesar (Pupy) Pedroso song just popped up on youtube. I'm not much of a fan of contemporary Cuban music (and timba in particular) at all, but this is the shit, especially when the bass-heavy coro kicks in. Ugh, can't really hear how heavy that bass is on this rip, but trust me:

Pupy y Los Que Son Son - Pupy El Buenagente

Last edited by Superficial Fan : 2013.07.19 at 06:10 PM.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.22, 07:02 PM   #8522
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

So instead of getting a new Tool album this year, we get Danny Carrey's project "Volto!"... which basically is (IMO and if you can admit the truth) a Tool cocktease. Sounds like a (fucking LONG) compilation of all the little ditties and intermissions that you get at a Tool show to me, with some 'jazz fusion' parts to make it sound even closer to King Crimson than Tool already do...

It's interesting though, because out of all the solo projects of any of the Tool members, this is really the closest sounding to Tool, and kinda shows who's most likely got the strongest input into the band.

Not bad (technically its played very tight/solid) but I can't imagine reaching for it very often.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.07.22 at 07:06 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.23, 08:12 PM   #8523
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer
Default Marc Anthony - Dime Si No es Verdad

Marc Anthony - Dime Si No es Verdad
Liking the new Marc Anthony album. Not loving it but there's always plenty to be ambivalent about in his music. Still, fantastic voice. I actually love the campy chorus at the end of this, a fairly typical Sergio George/Marc Anthony move (SG is the producer). If you think you don't want to hear this, you probably don't!
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.26, 05:28 AM   #8524
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Maximum the Hormone- 予襲復讐

My fears that Maximum the Hormone were just a one joke band have been put to rest... talk about taking the bands basic concept and elevating it to new, exciting levels!

Also The new Goldfrapp is an amazing album. It's gonna take time to fully explore what's on offer here, but my god, what a return to form. The Goldfrapp album I've been waiting for since Seventh Tree blew my mind. I'd find it difficult to take seriously if anyone serious about their music didn't enjoy this one, regardless of whether or not you liked Goldfrapp before.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.07.26 at 05:33 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.26, 07:44 AM   #8525
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

This thread needs more of this.

awesome motion graphics
Old 2013.07.27, 06:15 PM   #8526
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
My fears that Maximum the Hormone were just a one joke band have been put to rest... talk about taking the bands basic concept and elevating it to new, exciting levels!
Was the joke seamlessly blending half a dozen different genres that have no business associating with one another and somehow not sounding like a joke in the process? 'Cause I don't feel like they've evolved that much over the years.

More than anything, that makes me want to listen to the best thing Merry ever did. Shame the PV's not on the 'tubes, it's worth a watch.
Merry - Gekisei

Also, this is my jam right now.
Tracy Chapman - Fast Car (Live)
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.30, 04:14 PM   #8527
thefro

thefro raises the standards of what a community can offer

The Beach Boys - California Feelin'

Another minor masterpiece from the Beach Boys vault (coming out on their box set in a month).
thefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.30, 04:34 PM   #8528
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Those cheeseball harmony are hard to swallow...

f(x) - Step
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.30, 09:07 PM   #8529
deadgrandma

^ well, it is f(x) -what were you expecting?
Old 2013.07.31, 10:42 AM   #8530
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I was referring to that Beach Boys song. I like the new f(x) song.

Hobo with a shotgun

Last edited by Inseu : 2013.07.31 at 11:19 AM.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote