Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.04.07, 11:30 PM   #1
alleon86

alleon86 is headed in the right direction
Default and so, tj intruementals do exist?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQQVOvKoGmY

and so i watched this vid, and what fascinates me is the tomei ningen intrumental playing in the background.

It sounds like the original too and not some simple midi karaoke version. And they do exist, does anyone know where i could get my hands on them?

Last edited by alleon86 : 2009.04.08 at 12:38 AM. Reason: link added
alleon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.08, 12:23 AM   #2
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

what video?

the only instrumentals we have seen commercially available are from e-onko, and right there aren't any instrumentals up. it is possible that depending on who produced they video that the company requested the instrumentals specifically for use. if it is a fan video chances are there either was an unofficial instrumental going around or it was sold through some obscure website at some point. other than e-onkyo, I can't think of any other sites who sold instrumental Ringo music.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.08, 02:37 AM   #3
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I don't think this karaoke track is entirely official. Something about the electric guitar really doesn't sound right, and I'm not entirely going to blame it on the karaoke speakers, the camera's microphone, or YouTube.. Someone probably ran a filter through the Dynamite Out recording to remove the voice. The problem is you can never effectively remove just the voice. If the voice overlaps into the frequencies of anything else (like electric guitar), you end up sucking the life out of those instruments when you remove the voice.

If there are official instrumental tracks beyond just Heisei Fuuzoku, I guarantee you they are in a proprietary karaoke system designed to prevent redistribution - especially via internet. While some nonproprietary karaoke systems do exist, in Japanese bars I believe the 'open' or FairUse-friendly systems are more a thing of the past.

I also suspect there is this whole Japanese underworld of jury-rigged karaoke tracks circulating through a chain of ordinary people who do not have any connections to the record label. Some Japanese people might spend just as much time filtering out the vocals, as the amount of time some gaijins spend on creating fansubs for anime - like it's another prevalent subculture.

Officially there's only HF. To believe in anything beyond that, you have to overestimate the public-access legitimacy, plus you probably have to overestimate the sound quality even more. I've been checking e-Onkyo and even when Senkou Shoujo was later made available there, they didn't offer any instrumentals for it. HF was an isolated incident among official releases because it's sorta kinda a soundtrack for a movie and you're not always hearing vocals in the movie, plus on the HF DVD there is a 16-minute credits segment of condensed/crossfaded instrumentals for the entire tracklist. If they were ever going to release a full-length instrumental version of just one Shiina Ringo or Tokyo Jihen album - HF was primed to be it. Nothing else has been in that kind of position where it would be believable to find a legitimate instrumental release for consumers.

In the earliest of the Phase 2 appearances in Bokura no Ongaku, you could hear piano solos playing in the background of the interview portion. I remember Gunjou Biyori, Shuraba and Marunouchi Sadistic at the very least. I think those recordings/arrangements are officially unique to those interviews, sort of as a courtesy from the band.

Shiina Ringo isn't Gackt or Utada Hikaru. If she wanted you to be singing along, she would be releasing karaoke tracks in the form of B-sides, as per the more cashcow/manufactured protocols of the industry. HF instrumentals aren't even as legitimate as B-sides because according to the DRM - you aren't supposed to be able play the instrumental tracks outside of Windows Media Player on the same computer the tracks were purchased from. So technically there is no such thing as officially nonproprietary instrumentals that you are supposed to be free to do whatever you want with.

I hear that many karaoke bars in Japan have Shiina Ringo tracks, but if they are truly from EMI and not just filters or MIDIs - the tracks are even more proprietary than the e-Onkyo system.
Old 2009.04.08, 03:47 AM   #4
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Such a cute cover <3
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.08, 10:07 AM   #5
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Just a couple of thoughts about this. This version very well may be neither the original nor a midi karaoke version. Those two are sort of polar extremes, one being perfect and the other being the the worst possible re-creation. Other musicians could have been hired by a karaoke company to emulate the original song. But I also see no reason why there wouldn't be instrumental versions of these songs. Making an instrumental mix is the simplest thing in the world to do. You just mute the vocal tracks and hit play.

I highly doubt that any sort of filter is used when attempting to remove vocals from a song after the fact. You would have to notch out entire octaves of sound. It is inconceivable to me that filters could ever be used to eliminate vocals. Phase inversion and cancellation does work, by eliminating any information that is common to both the left and right tracks.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.08, 10:17 AM   #6
pariscombo

pariscombo deserves a fucking medal

I remember I watched two karaoke version, both of Dynamite Out version and Adult version even if I can't remeber now which site, even not able to rememeber it was korean or japanese site.

And about 'filtering out voices' some korean fans do it as well and it works well in some songs.
Old 2009.04.08, 10:45 AM   #7
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Izotopes Ozone has a pretty good vocal filter preset. It's hit and miss, but when it hits it can work almost perfectly.
Old 2009.04.08, 10:55 AM   #8
pariscombo

pariscombo deserves a fucking medal

Here I uploaded the filtered version of Toumei Ningen. I don't have any right to this, so I uploaded only some part of it to show some expamle. It's not perfect but very good anyway.

EDIT :
Ah, youtube video was dynamite out version. I uploaded adult version. kk
Anyway I found karaoke dynamite out version preview of Toumei Ningen.

Site
https://www.clubdam.com/app/leaf/son...entsId=3594814

I compared it to youtube video. I think it's vocal filter, if another karaoke also sound like this I linked.

Last edited by pariscombo : 2009.04.08 at 11:43 AM.
pariscombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.08, 06:01 PM   #9
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

I wonder just what processes are actually employed by DSP "filters". Probably some sort of dynamic, frequency selective combination of phase inversion and notch filtering of (L+R) - (L-R) information.The filters I was referring to are true analog filters. I suppose these days you can call anything a filter. My background in professional audio leads me to have a much narrower definition of the word filter than most people. My bad. Whatever.

Last edited by TeslaGuy : 2009.04.08 at 07:03 PM.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.10, 10:39 AM   #10
JimmyKoria

JimmyKoria is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
Such a cute cover <3
Agreed except her neck looks all kinked when she's standing there at the start XD
JimmyKoria is offline   Reply With Quote