Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2013.07.12, 08:24 AM   #8511
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Kyary Pamyu Pamyu is J-Pop designed for pretentious music critics: it's not actually any good, and they think the visceral color explosion and random imagery is a marker of depth. They are reading it as a parody of J-Pop when it really is just normal J-Pop.
I wouldnt call the Needledrop pretentious, while he may seem pretty inline with Pitchfork and other sites that TELL YOU WHAT TO LIKE, at least he actually explains why he has that opinion and seems genuine about it, rather than seemingly choosing stuff that has a bit of net hype but not too popular.

Kyary's album pretty much sucks, there's no doubt about it, it's nowhere near as good as Perfume either, there's no depth (that's not to say that recent Perfume or Nakata is any better- he is in a current dry spell it seems). But it is (undeniably) damn catchy and it is damn colorful. Still, he should now review more Jpop to further explain why he thinks Kyary is worthy of mentioning above any other Jpop/idol artist. This is something that would interest me.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.07.12 at 08:28 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.12, 10:32 AM   #8512
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I don't get why Kyary Pamyu Pamyu is what has emmerged in the post-Gangnam world we live. Like why not literally every other jpop act that sounds like that? I guess its the blog thing.

mainstream-indie, y u no Oomori Seiko?
Old 2013.07.12, 11:10 AM   #8513
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

That "Suki Suki Daisuki" a couple pages back is good for one watch, but I think that's enough.

I heard one Kyary Pamyu Pamyu that I liked. Sounded Okinawan to me. Well here:

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - Noriko to Norio
I think that's pretty non-ironically enjoyable (or maybe the irony has just burrowed so deeply I don't notice it in my aesthetic sometimes). Anyway, no big surprise something like that would have American indie appeal. I guess now that I think about it, it probably would only be worth five listens. I'm up to two or three.

Last edited by Superficial Fan : 2013.07.12 at 11:21 AM.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.12, 02:11 PM   #8514
s3r3nity

s3r3nity is an asset to this community

I haven't listened to Kyary since Pon Pon Pon, but I feel like at least back then she was being kind of ironic, with so much nonsense and cheery stuff that it was almost to the point of being grotesque. It's possible it wasn't on purpose, but it felt that way to me. But I'd imagine that if that was in fact her main 'statement' to be made, she'd quickly end up becoming exactly what she was trying to parody.
Again though, not a Kyary expert at all!

Anyway I love Strawberry Switchblade and I wish I knew why this song was only released on the Japanese version of the CD!
Ecstasy (Apple of My Eye) - Strawberry Switchbalde
Old 2013.07.12, 06:52 PM   #8515
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Superficial Fan View Post
That "Suki Suki Daisuki" a couple pages back is good for one watch, but I think that's enough.
Pretty much... I'll leave it to the master (Togawa) to sing it.
Old 2013.07.13, 10:08 AM   #8516
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

No opinion about Kyaru Pom Pom thing, but checked it out due to the hype. It's more hypnotic than anything.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.13, 02:58 PM   #8517
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

@DG
Who do you think the typical Togawa Jun fan is? I figured it would be music nerds, but I was surprised that she has many, many teenage girl fans, people who buy into the "Kawaii-Guro" subculture thing. However, I think seeing Togawa as something that is both cute and grotesque is severely underselling her. There is much more depth beyond that. In the same way, Kyary is grotesquely cute, but she lacks such depth. I find Perfume to be far more subversive.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.13, 05:46 PM   #8518
deadgrandma

Hmm I dunno, but from the concert videos of latest, those teen girls are now in their 40s. Togawa has far too many facets to her personality to really say what her real fanbase would be. All ill say is that there should be more fans, she has one of the most solid discographys that I've ever come across- that spans three decades.

Also, late response but @Jihad: Trans Europe Express is an essential for sure. Metal on Metal is essential party anthem.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.07.13 at 05:54 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.15, 06:55 PM   #8519
deadgrandma

Sa Dingding - Ami Walking

So I finally got my CD (and subtitled DVD!!!) set of the new version of the Coming Ones. Not only has muddiness of the digital version disappeared, the 'bonus track' that it comes with is also the BEST FUCKING SONG ON HERE. The hell, why is it a BONUS TRACK???

Ahhh that heart melting style that only Dingding can bring... can never get tired of it.
Old 2013.07.17, 07:12 PM   #8520
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

自由發揮

Ringo should appear in workout videos like this.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote