Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2011.02.12, 11:31 AM   #6541
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I thought the new single started off very well, then went downhill.

I didn't like initially Gaga because it's hard to like someone when they're surrounded by so much unwarrented hyperbole.

The last album was good and I was starting to warm to her, but this song was unremarkable and the fact that she has the nerve to think she can write an anthem for minorities (and in such a shameless, crude way like this) has put me off her tremendously.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.12, 11:31 AM   #6542
sylfi

sylfi is headed in the right direction

Her fashion sense is a rip off of Grace Jones and Roisin Murphy, her Alejandro video was her taking bits and pieces from Madonna videos (e.g. Human Nature, Like A Prayer, Vogue, etc.), her Born This Way cover looks very similar to Kylie Minogue's "2 Hearts" cover, and other things I can't think of off the top of my head.

Also Scribble, I totally agree with you about her thinking she can write an "anthem" for minorities. A rich, white, private-school educated girl writing an anthem for minorites? Riiiight.
sylfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.13, 06:55 PM   #6543
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

I got the Alejandro Express Yourself/Vogue rip too. She seems to love Madonna, with a logical connection -- stylistically rebellious, natural brunette, Italian-rooted. They would be BFFs if it were the Madonna of 20 years ago.
But the other things seem just like stylistics. Those people aren't completely original either. They get inspiration from somewhere.

Born This Way could've been more upfront about the people she seems to be aiming it at, which is disappointing. The Kinks' Lola seems more supportive anyone going against social norms, they should just play that song lots.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.13, 09:32 PM   #6544
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Taeko Ohnuki & Ryuichi Sakamoto - Bibo no Aozora

Never heard this version, and will probably become my favorite. It's just... delightful.

Edit: proceeding to download the whole album.

Last edited by Carlx : 2011.02.13 at 09:39 PM.
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.13, 11:25 PM   #6545
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

SNSD hit tune

I'd be very interested to hear a SNSDxTOKiMONSTA mash-up.

TOKi
Old 2011.02.14, 08:01 AM   #6546
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

http://www.thekingoflimbs.com/

There be a new Radiohead album for everyone this weekend!
Old 2011.02.14, 08:31 AM   #6547
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

^
I wonder if it will be at least as good as In Rainbows.

Andikki recently got me hooked on Eksperimentoj, which is basically the Radiohead of Japan (that title carries a LOT more credibility than Shiina Ringo being "the Bjork of the East").
Old 2011.02.14, 09:22 AM   #6548
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
http://www.thekingoflimbs.com/

There be a new Radiohead album for everyone this weekend!
There are also PJ Harvey and Asobi Seksu albums that come out this week. Of course, both have already leaked. The Asobi album is good. They'll never come close to Citrus, but I'm liking this one much better than the last effort. Fluorescence has some great songs like Trails, Trance Out, and Perfectly Crystal. I can't even remember half the song names from Hush.

I haven't listened to PJ Harvey's Let England Shake album yet, but I liked the song.
Old 2011.02.14, 11:00 AM   #6549
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
both have already leaked. The Asobi album is good. They'll never come close to Citrus, but I'm liking this one much better than the last effort.
Man I had no idea and it leaked quite a while ago too. I like the single, glad to hear the album is a step-up from Hush.

As far Lady Gaga, I found the outrage over the songs apparent similarity to Express Yourself quite odd, as if modern pop is known for it's ground breaking originality. I recognise melodies from other songs when listening to the radio almost every day. The vocal melody in the new Britney song reminds me of Rihanna's Unfaithful, Katy Perry's Firework reminds me of Erasures 'Always' and California Girls is practically the same song as Tik Tok. I'm not a big fan of Born This Way either, but not at all because it sounds like something else. Besides, I think melodically it sounds much closer to David Guetta - When Love Takes Over.

£30 Radiohead album has been purchased. It's quite exciting and unfortunately rare to be going into a new album completely blind, and given that it's Radiohead I have no idea what it's going to sound like.
Old 2011.02.14, 01:13 PM   #6550
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
Lolzzz. Love it.

Soo pumped about Radiohead. I didn't listen to In Rainbows as intently as I should have. I know I'll love it because everyone says it's awesome and I looooove everything OK Computer on. I doubt they can do much wrong, if any.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote