Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.07.07, 02:11 PM   #51
clakaz

clakaz is an asset to this community

first week
69 (position)  2,676 (sales)  toridori  tomosaka rie
clakaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.07, 02:47 PM   #52
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Those sales are dismal by ANY standard guess the Ringo association did nothing for her.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.08, 02:32 AM   #53
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
Zutto sounds like Murasaki? Fuuuck, I might have to get the rest of Murasaki now...
Given the Murasaki songs on the Best+3 compilation and the previews on iTunes, I've gathered that Murasaki must be a really good pop album. Too bad it's so hard to get a hold of. I love that fluffy adult-contemporary "idol" sound. my secret love is Hello! Project
Anyway, does anyone have any idea if any overseas editions will come out? I really want this album, but have a hard time justifying spending $30 for only 10 songs that I might not be in absolute love with.
P.S. Frecklegirl, have you considered giving Tomosaka her own section yet? Even her non-SR stuff is pretty swell.

Last edited by Entry№1 : 2009.07.08 at 02:35 AM.
Entry№1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.08, 08:21 AM   #54
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by clakaz View Post
first week
69 (position)  2,676 (sales)  toridori  tomosaka rie
eeek
and you just know a large chunk of people who did buy it are really just Ringo collectors or fans of other people who worked on this album.

any numbers for best of+3?
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.08, 08:32 AM   #55
merman

merman is an asset to this community

If that's according to Oricon charts it shouldn't be the real figure (just as SG should've sold more than those 120000+ copies)... it's still a flop, just sayin'
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.08, 10:34 AM   #56
clakaz

clakaz is an asset to this community

best + 3 doesn`t even appear on charts and the 100 position sold 1494 copies, so you figure...
It's Oricon data but I don't know how it works.
clakaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.08, 11:50 AM   #57
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
P.S. Frecklegirl, have you considered giving Tomosaka her own section yet? Even her non-SR stuff is pretty swell.
Mm, nah. I would only consider expanding for an artist I TRULY love. And I have some candidates in mind and Tomosaka is not one of them. XD Sorry.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.11, 02:59 AM   #58
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

someone uploaded Mezame (Uki's collab) and Tarinsu (Izawa's collab) to youtube.

It's nothing special imo

edit: but her voice has definitely improved.

Last edited by a_grumble_cake : 2009.07.11 at 03:02 AM.
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.20, 12:06 PM   #59
NipponRock

NipponRock is headed in the right direction

I guess I'm late to the party on this, but I finally got a copy of Toridori and wrote up a review for my site. I think there are a few weak spots on the album, but overall I really like it - especially both of Ringo's contributions. Bummer to see the low first-week sales listed above, but maybe not so surprising.

I also posted a couple of mp3 streams, so if you haven't heard any of the album yet there are now a couple of songs at http://www.nipponrock.net/2009/08/19...saka-toridori/

Here's the text of my review:

I have to open this with a quote from Rie Tomosaka’s wikipedia entry:
Rie Tomosaka (ともさか りえ Tomosaka Rie?) is a Japanese actress and pop star from Mitaka-shi, Tokyo, born on October 12, 1979 in Nagano-shi, Nagano. She belongs to Ito Company.
All I want to point out with that is that she’s not a starving artist with a unique vision. She’s very much a part of the Japanese entertainment industry establishment, and is a model/actress before a musician (none of the songs on Toridori are written by her).

That aside, Toridori is a really fantastic album, the songs are great, the arrangements are great and Tomosaka’s vocals are great. I’ll admit that I’ve turned up my nose at plenty of albums for being too ‘manufactured’ but Toridori is an exception.

Certainly, it doesn’t hurt that Tomosaka’s good friend Shiina Ringo contributes two songs, and Shiina’s bandmates Izawa Ichiyou and Ukigumo contribute also contribute songs to the album.

‘Curtain Fall’ opens the album, which is an unusual decision given both its title and its tone. Its a slow-building ballad and would have been an adequate conclusion to the album, it works well as an opener though, slowly introducing the album and easing listeners in.

Shiina Ringo’s first contribution, ‘Tokai no Manner’, is Toridori’s first single, and its best song. Its quirky rock foundation with jazz overtones is straight out of Shiina Ringo’s best work. This song knows when to be noisy, when to tone it down, and when to put melody first. The musical performances are fantastic and Rie’s vocals fit the tone of the song perfectly.

In many ways, this album is all over the place from this point on. ‘Mezame’ is an R&B ballad, ‘Tarinsu’ is a surf-influenced bouncy pop tune, ‘Zutto’ and ‘Good Day Good Bye’ are more conventional pop ballads, Shiina Ringo’s second contribution, ‘Kodomo no Jyoukei’, is a Debussy influenced piano ballad and album closer ‘Mother Goose’ is a post-rock song with reverb drenched guitars, a triumphant melody and a slow climactic buildup.

This album was released on the same day as Shiina Ringo’s Superficial Gossip and is a good companion to that album. Shiina Ringo’s influence is strong and extends beyond her direct contributions. I’m sure this album will be neglected by many (too mainstream for indie fans, not commercial enough for mainstream fans) and there are a few songs you might find yourself skipping, but the best parts of this album are exceptional, and I give it my recommendation.

Last edited by NipponRock : 2009.08.22 at 08:18 AM.
NipponRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.22, 08:02 AM   #60
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

I love your review and totally agree with it... but omg, please learn the difference between "it's" and "its" XD Sorry, I don't mean to sound super nitpicky, just you used that a lot and it started to stand out and bug me XD
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote