Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.01.09, 03:43 AM   #211
Oiran

Oiran has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Wow, thanks for the translation!
I didn't realised the letters in the background can have a meaning XD They are very integrated with the drawing so I thought there were here only for decoration (maybe it is, but it has meaning anyways).

Yesterday I watched this DVD Definitely stunning in all senses
Old 2009.04.14, 05:18 PM   #212
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Nippon ni Umarete is the greatest anything ever. The piano is so depressing and wonderful.
Old 2009.04.15, 05:51 AM   #213
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Along with Morphine, 17 and Suberidai, Nippon is one of those songs that ooze Shiina Ringo IMO
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.15, 01:50 PM   #214
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Nippon ni Umarete is probably the only SR ballad I like.
Old 2009.04.19, 02:57 PM   #215
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

have we determined if there are any first press/regular press details in content for this release? I'm so bummed, I noticed on my disc that there are two center to rim light scratches, and then a slight skid. I played the disc today and there wasn't any problems, as far as I could tell it didn't have any issues reading or skipping, but considering the thing was played TWICE (including today's play), I'm kind of pissed off and annoyed at how it was scratched. It must have been damaged in the move or being lifted from the tray. It seems to play through its entire length without any hitches, although I wasn't watching the entire disc, I had the audio turned up so I could hear if it skipped while I was doing stuff around the apartment. I probably won't buy another copy unless I notice it doesn't play without error, but I was wondering if the bonus feature at the end (last part on the meu) and all the contents are the same.

My Ringo stuff always gets damaged. My solo singles/albums are kind of scuffed from carrying them in a cd case before I was an avid collector/fan/audiophile, I think about those days now and am horrified. Fortunately nothing was damaged, they just aren't what you would call "mint" anymore. Ever since KZK and the formation of Jihen I've pretty much hoarded my collection and never played anything more than was necessary (to watch/listen/rip).

and if glanth see this, what can you teach me, oh master, about dvd scratches? They seem to be very light, unless I tilt the DVD in the proper way to notice them the entire bottom of the DVD is completely shiny and new looking. I think the scratch is larger in my head than it is on the disc. It just pisses me off that it was this disc and not, oh, utada hikaru or something I don't care about that got scratched. I hate when something new gets scuffed. ESPECIALLY when it is Epic Ringo.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.04.19 at 03:01 PM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.19, 05:36 PM   #216
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
have we determined if there are any first press/regular press details in content for this release?
First-press comes with outer slipcase, in addition to the jewelcase that both pressings have. It's the same kind of deal with Gekokujyo Xstasy, Hatsuiku Status, and Watashi no Hatsuden. GX is just the only extraordinarily special out of all the slipcases, with the glow-in-the-dark feature.

I was wondering if the bonus feature at the end (last part on the meu) and all the contents are the same.
In my collecting experiences with concert DVDs from the artists I closely follow, it's only the limited editions with separate catalog numbers which have more content - if they even have anything beyond a packaging difference. I would bet money the first-press and second-press discs of Zazen Ecstasy have the same content, but I don't know it for an absolute fact - I'm just speaking from precedent here. It's when you get into the actual limiteds like Electric Mole (which should never be confused as a first-press) where you should start worrying about what you might be missing.

My Ringo stuff always gets damaged. My solo singles/albums are kind of scuffed from carrying them in a cd case before I was an avid collector/fan/audiophile, I think about those days now and am horrified. Fortunately nothing was damaged, they just aren't what you would call "mint" anymore. Ever since KZK and the formation of Jihen I've pretty much hoarded my collection and never played anything more than was necessary (to watch/listen/rip).

and if glanth see this, what can you teach me, oh master, about dvd scratches? They seem to be very light, unless I tilt the DVD in the proper way to notice them the entire bottom of the DVD is completely shiny and new looking. I think the scratch is larger in my head than it is on the disc. It just pisses me off that it was this disc and not, oh, utada hikaru or something I don't care about that got scratched. I hate when something new gets scuffed. ESPECIALLY when it is Epic Ringo.
I almost never play DVDs in a DVD player for few reasons:
1.) I don't believe DVD players are very good about dealing with any scratches that may already be there.
2.) I'm paranoid about creating new scratches.
3.) I don't like the initialization delays on disc-swapping (with the human and mechanical elements involved with that), and "DVD changers" aren't any better about this.
4.) I've never liked transporting my original discs from one household to another.

This is why ISOs are the best option. I won't even try watching a rental DVD until it's already on my hard drive, not because I intend to keep a copy of it for months or years, but because the ripping process will take all the time it needs to come to a firm conclusion about what kind of data is near the scratches. I may have to wait 10 minutes before something is fully ripped, but then I never have to wait for it again, and no scratches will ever stutter the playback.

Your next best transport option is cakeboxes - the kind you'd get with like 50 blank CD-Rs or DVD-Rs. Use one of those for transporting your original discs instead of keeping them in their original cases (you could separately bring the original cases along if you absolutely want to have them on-hand).

As for dealing with already-existing scratches, aside from ripping (and possible burning) the disc, NIMH Rat recommends putting the disc in hot water. I've tried Disc Doctor with some (but not great) success, like maybe Disc Doctor tipped the scale on whether or not a ripping process could recover everything, but it didn't necessarily make the disc smoothly playable within a DVD player again.
Old 2009.04.19, 08:39 PM   #217
kuro_neko

well, these are more vanity scratches. there is no problem with the reading of the disc or playback, it just pisses me off. actually fucking with the disc further, like immersing it in anything or using any machine on it, is past that point I want to go considering there is no real damage other than superficial at this point. I cleaned up the disc with a good cleaning solution and anti-static computer monitor cloth I have, so I'm fine with it as it is. the thing I don't like with disc doctors and other treatments is the way they buff out scratches is by taking off more plastic usually, which is in itself damaging the disc when you think about it. I just wanted to make sure that if I bought another copy at a later date I wouldn't be missing anything content wise.

and I never knew first press Gekokujyo had glow in the dark markings, that is badass.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.04.19 at 09:15 PM.
Old 2009.04.19, 09:53 PM   #218
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Removing a tiny fraction of the plastic from the clear side of a disc will not damage it. The protective polycarbonate plastic layer is quite thick. Small scratches on the label side can cause much more damage. The reflective aluminum substrate lies directly beneath the thin label.

I recommend Mikrosmooth and Optrix. Novus is less expensive than Mikrosmooth and probably works just as well.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.19, 11:00 PM   #219
kuro_neko

is all that in the item description true? I mean, I suppose it makes sense that over time you get blemishes/scratches/dirt/oil on the cd, and it can affect the sound, but if you take a brand new cd out of the wrapper and polish it with that stuff, would it actually do what it says? I mean, I'm not like crazy obsessed about music quality, I like to take good care of my stuff, and as long as there isn't any negative side affects from the blemish I can notice I usually am okay. thanks for the links!
Old 2009.04.20, 01:58 AM   #220
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

I am skeptical by nature and would not believe all of (Mapleshade's) Pierre Sprey's claims if I had not mastered some of his recordings in the late '80's. He is a bit obsessive, but his recordings sound great, and he is an exceptionally intelligent man. He helped design the F-16 and the A-10 before he devoted his life to recording acoustic Jazz.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote