Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.12.11, 09:36 AM   #41
darkdisco

darkdisco pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
It was like a bizarre moment out of a dream that day I stood in front of the gates to Kabuki-chou for the first time, listening to Kabuki-chou no Joou on my iPod. Listening to an artist who is just so physically far away, singing about a place I could only imagine and dream of...and suddenly I'm there. It was one of those "I've made it" moments in your life where you realize both how random and beautiful it is how the little pieces in your life fit together to create massive influences which induce important change, and also how great it feels to reach a once distant goal or dream.
I've never been to Japan, so I've not had an experience like that with SR's music, but that reminds me of sitting in a hotel room in downtown Reykjavik with the window open and hearing Bjork/The Sugarcubes coming from one of the dance clubs.

I know what you mean; it's so surreal it's almost like it never happened.
darkdisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.17, 08:49 PM   #42
chii

chii is headed in the right direction

This is how Komoriuta makes me feel. It isn't true, more of a short story on what it makes me feel, or visualize.

My mother would listen to and old Japanese lullaby on rainy days. It made me feel like I was living in an old movie. I practically was. The days were always grey. White, black, and grey. I felt lonely, but glamorous, listening to that song. I can hear the wind chimes so clearly. The sorrowful piano, the deep cello. The crackling of the record player. It was sad but majestic. I wish I was that little girl again. I wish I could daydream the rainy days away.

Last edited by chii : 2010.03.18 at 08:49 AM.
chii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.18, 07:25 AM   #43
Mr Sands

Mr Sands is headed in the right direction

Love some of the tags on last.fm for song of her songs. For example, Toki ga bousou suru has "suffragettes with flowing skirts and umbrellas", "its like a big band was dropped into a moshpit with a flock of hummingbirds" and "spiralling off-kilter alt rock"

Awesome
Mr Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.13, 08:18 PM   #44
KronKyrios

KronKyrios pleased at least somebody

When I watched Ringo Expo for the first time, It took me three days to finish it. Partly, that was because I was short on time, and the other part was because I found myself wanting to savor it. I'd listen to a song or two and bask in it for a while before listening to the next.

I don't normally appreciate live music. It's typically lower quality than the studio recordings, and it lacks the polish I am accustomed to, among other reasons. Ringo has long been the biggest exception to that prejudice. A number of her live performances have thoroughly impressed me, but none like this masterpiece.

Every song was perfectly arranged and executed, a faithful, yet creative tribute to the original. The orchestra worked perfectly in unison with her. Of course, any real retrospective of her career would have to include an expert orchestra due to the nature of her music, but I just can't say enough about how well they did. The stage show and lighting was just... wonderful. Her emotions came through so clearly it felt as though she were speaking directly to my heart. This performance breathed new life into all these old favorites.

I got so emotionally involved in this, I shed tears four times, and gasped many more. For example, near the end of Tadashii Machi, in the encore, I realized what song had not been played. Koufukuron, of course. ...and she picked up the megaphone as the guitar kicked in... and I cried as she belted out yet another prefect rendition.

I might have posted this in the Expo 08 specific review forum, but when I get into reviewing something I get so long winded I am afraid people won't read it.

Unrelated to my recounting my feelings about Expo 08, I have had my breath taken away by such little things as finding Utada Hikaru's 11 second cover of Tsumi to Batsu. I know she was just playing around when she did that, but what stood out to me was how clear it was that, in seriousness she truly respects Ringo.

Image Courtesy of MBF
KronKyrios is offline   Reply With Quote