Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.03.27, 09:04 PM   #51
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

The ensemble for this concert would be perfect for a KSK revival. Midorin was rocking his fro and drum kit really great. He has great restraint and control in his playing.

her outfits also make her apples look really plump in this too.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.04.02, 04:47 AM   #52
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I really like the new English lyrics for some old songs. Nice twist.

Her phrasing in this concert was really good. Her singing was on point overall.

Not a fan of the autotune though. I kind of wish they kept it acoustic.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.04.27, 09:24 PM   #53
TurtleFu

<p>why yes I did just buy the limited edition blu ray for 1600 yen / brag </p>
Old 2014.04.28, 11:16 AM   #54
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Does the BR come with lyric sheets? I'm pretty intrigued by the English lyrics to the new songs and self-covers. Wish there was an official source somewhere... Or perhaps someone with a good ear would be so kind to transcribe? =p
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.04.28, 04:26 PM   #55
TurtleFu

Unfortunately it does not. The booklet is not great, it just has some brief profiles of the band as well as tracklisting and concert credits. That's it.
Old 2014.04.29, 07:57 AM   #56
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
Does the BR come with lyric sheets? I'm pretty intrigued by the English lyrics to the new songs and self-covers. Wish there was an official source somewhere... Or perhaps someone with a good ear would be so kind to transcribe? =p
Ditto. I would especially like to know the lyrics to 'Ima'. This is what I can make out:

I'm so afraid it's true
You weren't so quick
The whole world fits inside of you (and future --)
This is not why you're not here

Night and day
no-one can catch
the one who runs away

Oh I'm so ashamed it's true
Alone I sit in silence
wrapped in all that's through

The past I am -- and always gone
though
Night and day
No-one can catch
the one who can't go on

The moment you
and I extend
Our hands and clutch then
the time is
Here and now
is magical
It's something like us forever

Night and day
No-one can catch
the one who can't go on

You are the one
They all run to
You sit so far
So much to want
You must have so much to do
But if our hands unclench nothing can be real

It's only you that pulls me up
The moment's not old or new
It's here and now
It's magical
It's something like us forever
It's only me [POW!] who got too FAST
It's neither there nor far -- it is
here and now it's right not wrong
so if it's hands [hearts?] still touch everything is reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaughh

Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.22, 04:50 PM   #57
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I looked at this again. Never did a full-on review, but this time I think I know what to say about it.

Baishou Xstasy II: No Guitars Allowed Redux....is way better than the original. And Ringo seemed much more genuine, even in her Coco Chanel red-carpet I-don't-give-a-fuck promenade outfit.

I think this is the first time I've seen one of her shows where the audience is just about absent---yes, they are there applauding, but no, we can't see them. I like that, and I thanked heaven for it when Ringo whipped out her flag for "New Way to Fly" and tried to get a crowd-wave going. They were probably waving, and I was grateful to be spared the imagery.

Starting with Iroha ni, I love it. Before that, she kept her voice pretty much on the same high-pitched, lilting tone that frankly was putting me to sleep. Like with Baishou Xstasy I, this is a show where, if I sat in the front row center, at the end of it my ears would not be ringing. They'd be a bit buzzed, pleasantly so, but they'd recover by the time I stepped out of the lobby.

But once she gets going, she starts to modulate her tones a little wider, and she flexes some more muscles on the stage, and it's a just a great Shiina Ringo show. Hardly a sign of Jihen influence or legacy. In a way, that makes me sad. It's like she's saying she's so done with Jihen that it could almost be seen as wasted time. (Unless there are legal issues keeping her from doing Jihen songs herself.)
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.05.30, 11:18 PM   #58
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Man, this was a breath of fresh air. I almost hit point-of-no-return levels of jadedness after Saihate ga Mitai.

I watched the Tsugou no Ii Karada intro and started thinking, "what if this were someone's first exposure to Shiina?" Like, remove all baggage associated with her career, and just imagine it's some nobody J-pop singer parading on-stage in that birthday queen getup, the biggest and most genuine smile possible on her face, singing her vocal cords out while piano arpeggios and accordion chords duel feverishly in 6/8. My first thoughts would be "who is this, who does she think she is, how does she get away with it...and above all how does it all work so well?"

I dunno, it feels like I and fans years older than I are holding up metal rods praying for lightning to strike again, but it's the novel little gems like this that make Shiina worth following in 2015 (or 2014, since I'm a year late )

Stray thoughts:

- Sound mix is beautiful across the spectrum (and I'm fairly certain I have a much worse setup than grandma and Glath). But wow, that did no favors for these ADK mics. Way too much air in the mix on the first set. I've never heard Shiina's plosives like that before.
- Favorite version of My Foolish Heart. God, maybe the sexiest I've ever heard Shiina.
- I'm with Inseu on Yokushitsu, definitely in the bottom tier of Yokushitsu/La Salle de Bains. I think Expo 08 was the only way to make this song work with heavy strings.
- I like Netsuai Hakkakuchu better as a Nakata song. The original struck me as something I'd rather see Capsule doing than Shiina.
- I could watch Shiina and Midorin do nothing but pop smiles at each other for at least 15 minutes without getting bored.
- Man, Onna no Ko is actually a good song beneath all the bombast. Never would've guessed.
- This...doesn't feel like a Saito Neko show? I'm somewhere in the middle camp of liking BX and not liking the first Ringohan set, and this blows both out of the water. The instrumentation seems like it was planned on a song-by-song basis rather than the kitchen sink being thrown at random Shiina classics.
- Accordion is no substitute for flute on Mittei Monogatari, though.
- MM into Assassin's Assassin is more enjoyable here than in Expo 14.
- I'm finally sold on that Youko Maki song. Neither of the studio versions did it for me.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.06.01, 08:26 AM   #59
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by The Most Curious Thing View Post
- This...doesn't feel like a Saito Neko show? I'm somewhere in the middle camp of liking BX and not liking the first Ringohan set, and this blows both out of the water. The instrumentation seems like it was planned on a song-by-song basis rather than the kitchen sink being thrown at random Shiina classics.
Yeah. In that way the show reminds me of KZK more than anything else she's done since then.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote