Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.08.26, 12:06 PM   #11
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by ROCKET View Post
By the way, pretty nice to lose your virginity listening to Shiina Ringo, uh? My soundtrack for that was Aerosmith, as far as I remember.
I lost mine to the sound of traffic.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.26, 03:38 PM   #12
s3r3nity

s3r3nity is an asset to this community

I really like the idea of this thread.

Hmmm...
Sex-wise, since that's what seems to be the topic right now, my boyfriend and I got pretty close to sex during Shun, but for some reason had to stop. That's okay though, I can't do anything like that with Ringo playing in the background, because I just think about her, and I get totally out of the moment. >//<' If I had to chose a Ringo song to have sex to though, it would definitely be Shun. Yum.

I was at the park with my boyfriend and his two baby cousins. I was on the swings and he was playing with his cousins. At that point, I'd been listening to Ringo's cover of "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" a lot, and when I saw him being so sweet and cute with them, all I could think of was that song and how much I love him. (sorry for the mushy-ness)

There are probably more, but maybe later.
Old 2009.08.26, 04:42 PM   #13
ROCKET

ROCKET pleased at least somebody

Your story was really cute, s3r3nity. And about Shun, I agree, it is a sexy song, but I think that Karada would be a perfect fit for a sexual moment.

Well, I just remembered another memory:

Himitsu: Back in 2006, when Adult just got released, I found about Tokyo Jihen and got totally into the band just in the beginning of the album. Himitsu was fuckin' cool. I only listened to rock music basically at that time, and was getting bored of it, so came this band with a totally crazy blend of jazz and rock... and that guitar solo, OMG! (I know you guys hate Ukigumo, but I love his style) What about those vocals, so sexy, so smooth, at the same time so rough... wait, her voice sounds like Shiina Ringo. (I already knew like 3 songs of her solo work, but it didn't catch me at the time, though I knew she had a cult status among japanese fans) Wait², it IS Shiina Ringo. How fucking insane is this band!?

So, I started listening to it the whole time, and downloaded all the albums and stuff... My best friend came to spend a couple of weeks in my house (he lives in another city) and so I was still playing SR/TJ songs the whole time. Himitsu was my favorite song back then, and it was the theme song of this nice vacation. We even recorded a video while driving around on a rainy night, listening to the song, just for randomness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNEDX92FzR4

Yeah, this song still rocks.

www.myspace.com/maximauze
ROCKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.27, 04:20 AM   #14
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

LOL
I already watched this video, it was posted here or in the old forums XDDDDDDDD
and the friend that got me into hide and x-japan some years ago is from floripa O_O but nowadays he lives here cause he does admin on udesc
he looooooooves hide and x-japan the most

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.27, 07:08 AM   #15
ROCKET

ROCKET pleased at least somebody

Really? That I would call coincidence. Though I was not yet living in Floripa when I invented this nickname. =)

www.myspace.com/maximauze
ROCKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.29, 08:22 PM   #16
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

fucking time machine

edit: no, seriously: I've been really reluctant to share this in full because I hate being all obsessed-fan like but Shiina Ringo (more specifically KZK) was the spark that started me learning Japanese which eventually led me to Japan where I am currently.

I was really pissed off about the Live Aid Live 8 thing being so US/UK centered in its choice of artists. Stevie Wonder and Pink Floyd, Cool but I mean come on, over half of the bands in any country were English speaking and from the US or UK. Really wanted to watch the Japan performance to see Bjork. AOL which claimed to have every minute from all 8 concerts did not even have a link for Japan.

This sent me on a rampaging search for international music and got me thinking about studying a foreign language as I was begining to understand how filtered my view of the world was. As a tribute to the Japan concert which wasn't available most places online and because I knew Japan had one of the largest music industries (and pop cultures) in the world, I entered a Japanese music chat room and skimmed through piles of BS that sounded like what I already knew of Japan (basically TM revolution and Ayumi Hamasaki).
Finally this guy with decent taste sent me the first 3 tracks of Kyoiku which came out that month I beleive. I was really into it and wanted more. Saw that the girl was originally solo and checked out KZK.

By the bridge of Shuukyou I was so floored that I thought 'I have to learn Japanese. I don't know if I learn it first or after I learn another language, but I have to understand this'. After about a week of struggling over which language to choose, Japanese came out on top (not only because of Ringo, I thought kanji were bad-ass and it was the easiest language to self teach due to eaaaaasy pronunciation, the best food in the world that isnt unhealthy, and if I went to live in Japan I'd be a minority! Also religiously very different from most countries which I really wanted to see) and so that album, aside from being my favorite album in the world and in my opinion the greatest pop album of all time, AND feeling like the melodies fit me so well that they must have been stolen out of my brain, it also brings back all my memories and experience struggling and enjoying Japanese language and culture.

My close attachment is mostly to this album and also to a few other songs (mostly SS, Kyoiku and B-side songs) and not to the artist herself which is why I'm one of those cynical fans whose always waiting for something.

I actually have not listened to KZK intending to understand it because I'm afraid of how I will feel about it after I do, kind of like how you accomplish something huge and dont know what to do with yourself next.

That was just about the most personal thing I've ever shared with strangers. So now you know why I'm such a fan even though I hate the idea of being a real fan (collecting interviews, having every song, talking about albums and songs obsessively). Please dont use it against me.

Last edited by lazer85 : 2009.10.29 at 08:43 PM. Reason: THE TRUTH
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.30, 12:45 AM   #17
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

That's a really interesting story, man -- how one album motivated you to do all of that. Inspiring, even. Especially when you consider how nowadays, a lot of the time it's people sitting at home, over-indulging in anime/pocky and stewing in fantasy Bizzaro-Japan. After all of that, I wonder how you'll react when you finally understand KZK, and whether it'll be a good or bad reaction.

Also, I can definitely emphasise with the 'hating the idea of being a typical fan' but being unable to resist that because the music struck a chord with you.

Also, I wonder if there's a Japanese kid here in the UK because of Kid A or something. Or a British kid in Iceland because of Homogenic.

Thanks for sharing...
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.30, 01:23 AM   #18
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

I was introduced to Ringo by two girls who were heavily into Dir en Grey and the overtly sexual nature of Ringo's image at the time, constantly watching Honnou video and talking about what a lesbian she was (these girls were, you guessed it, lesbians). I stole one of their mix cds which had Identity on it and the rest is history. This was perhaps 7 months before KZK came out, so the only images of Ringo readily available online were those from magazines in the SS era, a lot of which were heavily sexual and quite polarizing. as a misfit catholic high school dropout teenager, it was JUST what the doctor ordered. I had a lot going on in my life and the weird thing is Ringo has always reflected the changes in my life. I got into her when I was having a lot of problems, struggling with sexuality and adolescence and maturity, and as I kind of grew up, so did she. It sounds drastic, the change from SS to KZK, but it really wasn't overnight. I remember receiving STEM in the mail and being shocked by the new sound, then when KZK it was like all hell broke loose, the fans were pissed, and I was so confused. my friends hated it right away, it wasn't loud enough, but I grew to love it. and when you see the ringo in those magazines and interviews, she seems drastically different in some ways, but she was still much closer to the Ringo of SS and MM era than the Ringo we have now. so much as I matured and grew up, Ringo did so with her music. So when I watch videos like Yuuhatsu Orgasm I almost want to look away because it reminds me so much of my similar train-wreck attention-starved youth phase. I don't have any particular one moment in time to pick out, but Ringo has been the soundtrack to my life since I was about 16 (I'm 24 now), 8 years in a time of great transition for someone, so I've really been on a journey with her, we have both changed so much over the course of that time and I find it all reflected in her music. so in a lot of ways when I visit the earlier work I find myself visiting specific times and instances in my life. It was like a bizarre moment out of a dream that day I stood in front of the gates to Kabuki-chou for the first time, listening to Kabuki-chou no Joou on my iPod. Listening to an artist who is just so physically far away, singing about a place I could only imagine and dream of...and suddenly I'm there. It was one of those "I've made it" moments in your life where you realize both how random and beautiful it is how the little pieces in your life fit together to create massive influences which induce important change, and also how great it feels to reach a once distant goal or dream. it sounds silly, and when I look back at other certain experiences, such as actually being in the same room as Ringo and making eye-contact and feeling that energy shiver down my spine, it almost seems surprising that I think back and remember that moment in front of Kabuki-chou first and foremost.

as I get older I find that it starts to blend together more and while I have specific memories associated with Jihen releases, there isn't the same impact. I love Ringo's music and it plays a great role in my life, but I'm not the emotional roller coaster wreck of a youth I used to be and as I've matured, music has come to take on different meanings and aspects in my life. I still connect to Ringo's music, but I've since moved on a bit, expanded to encompass multiple artists and genres, all culminating together to create what I consider my sonic identity. ringo, competing with tori amos, are probably the top two in the group of mostly women who comprise my musical identity.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.10.30 at 01:27 AM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.31, 10:55 PM   #19
s3r3nity

s3r3nity is an asset to this community

Kuro, maybe I'm about to get my period or something, but your post brought tears to my eyes. I think it's great to have Ringo as such a big link in your life, but not just because it's Ringo. I just think it's really interesting and beautiful that your life can have such a connection with music. Any specific stories you can think of and want to share, I'd love to read.
Old 2009.11.01, 08:43 PM   #20
Cinders

Cinders is headed in the right direction

I don't have any big moments. I've only been a fan for like 4 years. Just the other week though, I was really depressed. My car was broken, and the dealership wanted $5k to fix it. They said it was undriveable. I had almost no money and was reflecting on what to do with my life. On the way back home, (in my mom's car) I had the Zune hooked up to the aux port, and just shuffling through everything, and Koufukuron came on. It got me thinking to how young and innocent she was back then, and how happy she sounded. The song just brightened up my day, and made me feel all better, like everything was going to be ok.

Tsumi to Batsu is another one that stands out to me. I love it for it's sheer emotion. I heard somewhere she wrote it when she was depressed. It's such a strong song, and I love it when she screams. (that sounds kinda wrong lol) Anyways, after realizing the title translated to Crime and Punishment I thought how fitting that was. I've always been interested in crime and criminals. I want to be in law enforcement someday. I also decided to read the Dostoevsky book. It's now one of my all time favorites. I found it amazing how much I found I had in common with Raskolnikov. Luckily I didn't kill anyone and I had better opportunities lol. But I messed my life up pretty bad a few years ago during college. So whether Shiina even knows about the book or not, it still means something to me. I'll always love that song.

The third song that always gets me all emotional is Tokyo Jihen's Toumei Ningen. It's such a wonderful song. There are times I almost feel like crying when I hear it cuz it just makes me so happy. I wish I knew why it looked like she started crying after singing it in Dynamite Out, I think it was mentioned somewhere on here but I don't know if anyone ever explained. I wish someone would. Anyways, those are my feelings. ._.
Cinders is offline   Reply With Quote