Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.05.06, 02:18 AM   #11
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I hardly ever listen to the demos but they're a valued part of the treasure trove that is SR's discography in that the unreleased tracks can be fully appreciated just as they are. The demo-ness of say, Juuwaki no Naka or How Are You have more of the tender quality that, I dunno, Tasogare Naki or Shun have. I wish I could hear Nippon ni Umarete in demo form actually -- I'd probably prefer that to the Zazen Ecstasy version.

Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
The only demo I preferred over the final would be 17. There was a certain charm to the lo-fi recording. These demos also make me curious about her personal beliefs. She has 2 songs with Jesus in the title. What's the history there?
This is funny. There's Jesus stuff in the Dai-Hakken era. In one pre-Discovery show she wore a crown of thorns. I imagined that Ringo was just a spiritual person in general.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.06, 05:12 PM   #12
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

It has been my experience that Japanese people like using the religion of Christianity and its many symbols in artistic ways. It's really no different from when American artists try to be cool by referencing Greek gods or implementing random Chinese characters to artwork. These things are foreign concepts so they seem interesting, but the real meanings are lost and people don't even care to care. I've known Japanese people that thought the symbol of the cross was cool, without treating it was if it represented anything in particular. People are often fascinated and excited by cultures that are very different from their own -- even if they don't particularly agree with them. I'm uncertain of Ringo's religious beliefs, but the truth of the matter is that most of Japan isn't Christian. Many artists just use the mythology and stories to fuel their creativity. Ringo has made other references to other religions in her career but none of that is indicative of the actual woman. Hmm... Maybe there is an interview somewhere I don't know about.
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.06, 07:45 PM   #13
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

My summer at Doshisha was interesting partly because here's this Christian university right in the middle of Kyoto and all the students seemed fairly typical and not at all caught up in Christian ideology or mythos, even though traces of it were all over the campus.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.22, 03:05 PM   #14
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

By the way, can anyone track down Hari no Nai Tokei by Terasaka Tomohiro? Negative is supposedly a cover of that and I really like that track.
Old 2014.05.22, 03:18 PM   #15
anonlurker

I don't think that's ever going to surface unless you were in the crowd at one of his live shows a million years ago. Searches give me nothing but his dead website, some old 2ch pages, live schedules and little else. I don't think the guy ever put a CD out either.
Old 2014.05.22, 03:33 PM   #16
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

Thanks, anonlurker. I was hoping someone who speaks Japanese would have better luck than I did finding anything from this guy.