Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.12.25, 10:52 AM   #11
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by thespidereggs View Post
I mean, different strokes. Everyone will respond to Ringo's music and to their own internal emotional state differently, but just because you respond differently it doesn't mean you can't empathize with other people. Music, like other forms of art (in a broad sense) is a form of self-expression, but can also be intended to provoke an emotional/intellectual response in the listener. If someone is moved by a piece of music I think that's a testament to the power of art. It can be therapeutic, and it's not anything to ridicule. Obviously this doesn't apply to all music.
I'm not making fun of anyone being moved by music. By saying music can be therapeutic, you are suggesting op in this thread needs therapy, which I won't dispute. All I'm saying is that it is very bizarre!
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.25, 01:13 PM   #12
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

My attitude: people can feel however the fuck they want about the music they listen to, and don't need random strangers on the internet who don't know a fig about music telling them how they should live.

That being said, Irohanihoheto came out during the worst period of my life... I'm trying to develop better associations with that song because I really like its composition, but it reminds me of very dark times. I find myself listening to "It Was You" (how could Bacharach NOT have written this about his daughter after she died?) and "Carnation" when I'm most depressed.
Old 2014.12.25, 02:59 PM   #13
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

@Inseu: Music therapy IS a legit thing: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_therapy
Old 2014.12.25, 07:26 PM   #14
thespidereggs

thespidereggs is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
MI find myself listening to "It Was You" (how could Bacharach NOT have written this about his daughter after she died?) and "Carnation" when I'm most depressed.
Gah is that true? That changes everything I felt about that song - at first it just seemed like a sappy ballad but now it just seems brutal.

Also Ichijiku no Hana is a song I listen to when I'm depressed. So beautiful.
thespidereggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.29, 02:17 PM   #15
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

SR's music encapsulates the idea of mixed emotional states to me. So Tsuki ni Makeinu could be hopeful while Mittei Monogatari might be bleak.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.29, 04:55 PM   #16
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
As for KZK, that's my least favourite Ringo album, I don't find it special. I don't need to lock myself in dark room, turn out the lights, close my eyes and give the album full attention to enjoy it.

Ouch.

From what kind of music you always post in the "Currently Listening To..." thread, I'm surprised you enjoy Ringo's music at all. Let alone enough to be an active member of this forum. People enjoy music in different ways. I personally just can't listen to thoughtless dance pop.
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.29, 05:31 PM   #17
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

WAITING FOR INSEU'S RESPONSE
Old 2014.12.29, 05:41 PM   #18
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by kalmia View Post
Ouch.

From what kind of music you always post in the "Currently Listening To..." thread, I'm surprised you enjoy Ringo's music at all. Let alone enough to be an active member of this forum. People enjoy music in different ways. I personally just can't listen to thoughtless dance pop.
People who enjoy Ringo's music tend to have broad musical taste rather than narrow musical taste? Ringo isn't for hipsters, she has dance-pop songs such as sa_i_ta and Netsuai Hakkauchuu too.

I posted hundreds of songs in CLT, "the kind of music I always post" you are referring to is probably k-pop. A lot of it is actually melodic pop music not dissimilar to what Ringo songs offer. It is definitely not thoughtless but in reality smooth, carefully crafted music, and listening to Ringo doesn't necessarily evoke more thoughts or makes one more intelligent.

Last edited by Inseu : 2014.12.29 at 05:49 PM.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.29, 09:54 PM   #19
s3r3nity

s3r3nity is an asset to this community

Suberidai and Rakujitsu are my faaaavorite songs to listen to when I'm going through relationship troubles, and are some of the few Ringo songs I'll frequently crave to listen to specifically by themselves, not in the context of an album or anything.

Tadashii Machi has been helpful to me whenever I go to study abroad and have to leave my friends and family and boyfriend behind, and Tegami is good for scary life transitions.

And OSCA, Killer Tune, and Gunjou Biyori are good if I'm feeling spunky or if I need to hype myself up for something.

Sigma and Kenka Joutou are nice when I'm pissed.

I definitely frequently turn to music when I'm in a bad mood, and having SR and TJ's music here for me (spoiler: to get drunk to and sing along with) during hard times has really helped me.
Old 2014.12.30, 01:48 AM   #20
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
People who enjoy Ringo's music tend to have broad musical taste rather than narrow musical taste? Ringo isn't for hipsters, she has dance-pop songs such as sa_i_ta and Netsuai Hakkauchuu too.

I posted hundreds of songs in CLT, "the kind of music I always post" you are referring to is probably k-pop. A lot of it is actually melodic pop music not dissimilar to what Ringo songs offer. It is definitely not thoughtless but in reality smooth, carefully crafted music, and listening to Ringo doesn't necessarily evoke more thoughts or makes one more intelligent.
I completely, completely, agree with this comment.

Intelligent things can be said for any sort of music if one tries hard enough. Like nursery rhymes. By that same token, there are a lot of people who thoughtlessly listen to 'high culture' (a piss-awful arbitrary label anyway) things all the time.

I have to say for all the backlash Inseu's comments tend to evoke I agree with the general sentiment of what he's said. It's become increasingly difficult to move me with music (the more you listen, the less you are surprised/delighted, etc). Which is why things like a good pair of earphones (to uncover nuances in songs I didn't use to notice) and a good live show (the emotional significance of seeing an artist in flesh, also the general atmosphere), have become the predominant ways in which I experience Strong Visceral Pleasure from songs.

Which is to say, 80-90% of the time, barring the first couple of times I listen to something new and try to really CHEW on the new stuff, I'm really just listening to things on the subway, with a good groove to move my day along.

Last edited by gekokujyo : 2014.12.30 at 01:54 AM.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote