Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2008.01.01, 11:17 PM   #1
Joe-Chan

Joe-Chan pleased at least somebody
Default Lives vs. Albums

I'm just wondering something. SR's concerts, be it during her solo work or TJ, may introduce new interpretations of songs or slight changes. Covers, too, are also performed often. What are some of your favorite songs' performances? How well do they compare to the Album version? Which one do you prefer? Why?

For me, I love Bokoku Jousho and Jusui Negai from Dynamite Out. The way Shiina holds certain notes on the Album version of Bokoku Jousho doesn't quite compare to the sudden stops of the live, while Jusui Negai seems to have so much more emotion than seen on Kyoiku. Also, from Bokura no Ongaku, there's Shuraba and Marunouchi Sadistic. The intro to Shuraba is almost haunting while Marunouchi Sadistic is much more laid back than Muzai Moratorium's version, but more polished than during JCHI. Tsumi to Batsu at the Otakara Show is another one of my favorites~ Music-wise, it matches up pretty well to the one on SS, but I prefer the orchestral interpretation instead of the version on the album, partially because I'm a sucker for the outfit she wears while performing there xD
Joe-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.01, 11:48 PM   #2
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

For Gekukjyo Xstasy, I prefer studio versions over most of the performances, except Izonshou.

For Baishou Ecstasy, I think Okonomi de is very cool, but still doesn't quite beat out the KSK version, and the rest of KSK definitely wins too.

For Electric Mole, I prefer everything within it over the studio versions, except Tsumi to Batsu, which is equally good but in a different way, and Ringo no Uta (with or without being shortened).

For Dynamite Out!, there's no competition.

For Just Can't Help It, I prefer studio versions for most of the songs, especially Shoujo Robot. Honnou and Rakujitsu were awesome in concert though. The Himitsu in Just Can't Help It wasn't as good as the Himitsu in Domestic Virgin Line though. Kabuki was awesome in Domestic Virgin Line (equal or better than the album), while the Just Can't Help It version was average.

For Ringohan, it feels mostly like Baishou Ecstasy II, though Dynamite and Sid to Hakuchuumu deserve some credit, as does some of Hasegawa Kiyoshi's playing.

Tokyo Jihen was assembled from the very beginning to be a live band, and some amateur technicians handled the Phase 1 studio recordings, so of course Dynamite Out! wins. Phase 2 became more of a studio band, and I think that's how some people categorize Adult as being in the same league as KSK.
Old 2008.01.02, 12:47 AM   #3
natsume

natsume is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
Phase 2 became more of a studio band, and I think that's how some people categorize Adult as being in the same league as KSK.
We'll see if my memory of the Spa and Treatment show is correct, but I think that if we get a proper live recording of this tour, those who are not loving everything from Variety may find some of the live versions of the Variety songs far preferable to the studio versions. The arrangements were not remarkably different, but I think many songs came off much better live than they do in their studio versions. For me, in particular, Shiseikatsu, Sake to geko, and Pinocchio were amazing live. Even Metro turned out to be a better song live, for me. And the phase 2 version of Kokoro was awesome.

As this was my first Shiina show, I was very happy that it was this tour in particular that I saw, of the 3 TJ2 tours so far, as I think they are peaking as a live band.
natsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.02, 02:00 AM   #4
alleon86

alleon86 is headed in the right direction

live >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> album

/thread
alleon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.02, 02:19 AM   #5
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by alleon86 View Post
live >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> album

/thread
agreed!
much more emotion
*.*

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.02, 04:03 AM   #6
Kasanagi

Kasanagi has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I think the album version of tsumi to batsu beats all her live renditions, with the orchesrated version coming close; theres just something about the first note in the album version that Ringo can't seem to repeat live.

Dynamite Out! pwns Kyouiku easily. Unforunately I haven't heard most of her solo era concerts in any format better than mp3, so I can't really comment
Old 2008.01.02, 05:02 AM   #7
F999

F999 pleased at least somebody

I tend not to compare studio with live versions, since they serve so different purposes. I have more of a list of "favourite performances" than "favourite live versions". But of course, there's always those who sticks more in your head.

Originally Posted by Joe-Chan View Post
Jusui Negai from Dynamite Out.
That's my favourite. It's so wacky, and still so elegant.

I also love the final instrumental part in Ekimae. Sounded a lot like the effect post-rock bands like Mogwai achieve with their full instrumental attacks.

And so there's Service, which is so crazy and funny. Sure to attract the attention even from no-fans.

From Virgin Line, I like Souretsu.

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
and some amateur technicians handled the Phase 1 studio recordings, so of course Dynamite Out! wins.
But I think even a very lapidated mix and mastering would not survive the level of interpretation/expressiveness exposed by the lead singer plus the band's charge in that DVD.
Old 2008.01.02, 07:29 AM   #8
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Dynamite Out is the definitive version of Kyoiku.
Old 2008.01.02, 01:36 PM   #9
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Dynamite Out is the definitive version of Kyoiku.
I don't like DO at all... I love Kyoiku, though.
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.02, 08:06 PM   #10
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

The best thing about being an SR/TJ fan is that there are always new arrangements of familiar songs to look forward to, lot of which actually are radically different from the original versions.

My one definitive favourite song (among many) is Kurumaya-san. It's not a TJ original, but their interpretation of it is pure gold. (Do you even realise it's one of the rare SR/TJ songs that's actually... groovy?) Plus, Shiina making love to the pianica... need I say more .