Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.04.07, 10:40 AM   #1
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer
Thumbs up Design the Shiina Ringo: Best of album

Because I made an allusion to such an album yesterday, I thought it'd be gay-old time if we all gave our 2 cents at compiling the tracklist of such a "best of" album.

Now for da rules:

1) Interpret "best" meaning "songs most likely to win over new fans." You don't necessarily "have" to stick to singles -- however, generally they got air play for a reason. You can just pull your fav songs, I guess, and none would be the wiser. Also, remember this is supposed to be an encapsulation of her career. So try to represent each era a little bit.

2) 15 tracks max. Don't give me a triple-cd collection. I appreciate how "hard" it is to choose one song over another -- and that's the fun of it. Now, sure, I'm pulling 15 out of thin air, but cds these days generally run short. Best of's usually run longer than actual new releases, so I guess 15 is the new "long." 15, no more guys. And not even a "here are my 2 fav songs I left off...!" footnote. Howevva, you CAN walk us through your selections whilst slyly dropping some of your regretted omissions.

3) Lets make anything legal. (Solo AND Jihen) Official releases, plus live recordings and demos. If you think something 1337 belongs there, go ahead. I like Best Of's with something on there to draw the existing fans, so why not. Obviously tho, it has to be an actual recording.

So now, lets get bizz-ay! Heres what the Best of would be if I were in charge. I have agonized overt this for the past 40 minutes, and I'm calling it "done" cuz I'm gonna bust a brain cell if I keep auditioning every song. I even worked out the right track order.Who says I skim over the details?

1. Honnou
2. Sounan
3. Meisai
4. Identity
5. Gips
6. Stem (Casshern ver.)
7. Okonomide
8. Mayonaka wa Junketsu (live EM ver.)

9. Souretsu
10. Tsumi to Batsu
11. Shuraba (single ver.)
12. Koko de Kiss Shite
13. Ichijiku no Hana
14. Gunjo Byori
15. Keikoku

The part I feel bad about is having two rockers to close the album, preceeded by the lightest track on the album. But Gunjo kept getting ousted earlier in the track list by better fitting songs. But after hearing it, I'm very happy about it.

So now, I know some might have some serious problems like "Why the hell is Keikoku/Okonomide/Shuraba on a best of? " and some might point out obvious omissions (Kabuki-cho no Jou *gasp* and to a lesser extent Tsumiki and Himitsu."

I knew I didn't want *every* single/pv represented, and early on I cut Kabuki-cho out, not that its not one of her best songs, but you gotta make some sacrifices, and it was actually one of the easier drops for me. Ithink its a better song the more you are a "fan." --and best of's are about converting non-fans. I als really really considered dropping one of Gips or Identity, but I couldnt find a song better to replace either. Plus these songs re even underrated these days for whatever reason.

Keikokus such an underrated song, and it's not a "mindess distorted guitars song" either - its actually REALLY smart. Really take a listen, I think it's one of the best songs Shiina and Kameda produced. It coulda been just simple and there, but they spent some time and effort on it. Also it'd end the album with Shiina gasping, which is the bidness.

Shurabas underrated too, I opted for the single version because...i dunno, I just like it better. It's tighter (composition wise) than the album version and has better guitar/piano solos. I didn't want Mayonaka and I wasn't going to put on a live track at first, but then I remembered how kick-ass Electric Mole's Mayonaka was. I chose the Cashern/vinyl ver of Stem just for 1337ness' sake essentially. It ioulda been the straight album version, but once I played the Casshern ver on the radio, and my dad heard it and said he actually liked it. So I'll give it the nod. I really, really, really wanted Kokoro, and So Cold on, and I did me best to squeeze em in (thought about taking Okonomide off) but by then I had the track list fitted together so nicely, and Okonomides greatly underrated ad bridges Stem and Mayonaka so well. Also tried to get Kurumaya-san, Toumei Ningen (Dynamite), and Momen no Handkerchief on, but they just didn't make my cut plan and simple. Just to show: Superstar and Mellow are two of my fav Shiina songs, and neither made the cut, either.

So stat wise: 12 solo songs, just 3 Jihen songs (i was aiming for more, Mayonakas a bit gray tho.) 2 MM songs, 4 SS songs, 6 KZK songs (counting Mayonaka and Ichijiku, waay more than I anticipated.) 2 Kyoiku, 1 Adult, 0 HF. I guess this does slightly reflect KZK being my fav album.

Anyway, now you don't necessarily have to put so much thought into yours as I did mine (though it might mean a better product ) So go at it, I'm curious to see where you all else would take a Best of Shiina cd!

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2007.04.07 at 10:50 AM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.07, 01:03 PM   #2
Loire
Founder

Loire pleased at least somebody

01.la salle de bain
02.警告 (Keikoku)
03.歌舞伎町の女王 (Kabukicho no Joou)
04.とりこし苦労 (Torikoshi kurou)
05.真夜中は純潔 (Mayonaka wa Junketsu)
06.迷彩 (Meisai)
07.Love is blind
08.月に負け犬 (Tsuki ni Makeinu)
09. シドと白昼夢 (SID to Hakuchumu)
10.茎 (Kuki, album version)
11.福論 悦楽編 (Koufukuron Etsurakuhen)
12.遭難 (Sounan)
13.闇に降る雨 (Yami ni Furu Ame)
14.宗教 (Shuukyou)
15. 葬列 (Souretsu)

14 solo songs, 1 TJ song.
5 KZK songs, 1 UM song, 2 SS songs, 4 MM songs, 2 songs from singles, 1 Kyouiku song
Old 2007.04.07, 03:15 PM   #3
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

I win.

1. Identity
2. Can't take my eyes off of you
3. Meisai
4. Honnou
5. Kabukichou nou joou
6. Yattsuke Shigoto
7. Koufukuron
8. Gips
9. Mayonaka wa junketsu
10. Yami ni furu ame
11. Sigma Scratch that, let's make it Remote controller
12. Memai Okay it's Sounan
13. Ringo catalogue
14. Haiiro no hitomi
15. Izonshou

It has to end with Izonshou. It's such an ender. And I would really always listen to Ichijiku no hana myself, but I don't think it's a good song for catching new people into the Ringo thing.

Last edited by Jonny : 2007.04.07 at 04:37 PM.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.07, 03:22 PM   #4
Jonny

1 Keikoku
2 Tadashii machi
3 歌舞伎町の女王
4 丸の内サディスティック
5 Onaji yoru
6 Morphine
7 ギブス
8 ここでキスして。
9 Tsumiki asobi
10 本能
11 Akane Sasu Kiro Terasaredo
12 正しい街
13 Honnou
14 シドと白昼夢
15 Meisai

Just, this would be the top-15 according to what Last.fm people mostly listen to.

Ugh. I like Keikoku but I would never put it on a best of.
Old 2007.04.07, 04:29 PM   #5
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Ok, someone needs to fill me in, is Tsumi to Batsu not considered one of the best songs she ever made all of a sudden? At first I was going to point out Jonny's distinct lack of advertised "win" by omitting it, but then I noticed Loire and last.fm both lacked it as well.

Now granted, I like ballsy moves (like saying Ichijiku and Keikoku aren't best of material, and then listing Memai ) but it seems to be some weird trend I'm not hip to. I was certain to see people lacking other SS singles, but thought Tsumi was consensuses.

So, someone's got some 'splainin' ta doo.
Old 2007.04.07, 04:37 PM   #6
Jonny

I still have some problems with Tsumi to batsu. If the mood is right, it's a killer but sometimes I just can't stand it. *evades some poisoned daggers coming from SOME people*

I can admit that Memai probably is in the same notonabestof-vein like Ichijiku. I like it more than anyone but hmm well, I could just replace it with Sounan, to have at least one Jihen song in there. Happy?
Old 2007.04.07, 04:41 PM   #7
Tokyo Jihad

I like Memai a lot actually, and I think you're reason for putting it on your list is the very same as my reason for putting on Ichijiku. And that is, to show her variety. So I do 'get' it, I just thought it was funny you called me on Ichijiku

See, i think you're better off lifting Remote Control for Sounan (Or Ringo Catalogue.) Course not that you necessairily even need it. Don't listen to me
Old 2007.04.07, 04:51 PM   #8
Jonny

Ringo Catalogue would be the variation for you, as well as Remote controller. And Meisai. Of course Ringo has more variation in her bag than that (think more KSK), but I figured it would be risky to put anymore variations in this Ringo-ensnaring case.
It took me a lot of listens to begin appreciate Ichijiku, so that's my reason for not putting it in there.
Old 2007.04.07, 05:15 PM   #9
Chiugai

Chiugai pleased at least somebody

This is going to be tough, but here goes:

1. Honnou
2. Gamble
3. Himitsu
4. Sounan
5. Akane Sasu Kiro Terasedo
6. Tsumiki Asobi
7. Kuki (Stem)
8. Tsumi to Batsu
9. Gomatsurisawagi
10. Shuraba (single ver.)
11. Yamini Furu Ame
12. Meisai
13. Kabukicho No Jyou
14. Marunouchi Sadistic (Live from Bokura no Ongaku :cool
15. Rakujitsu

2 from MM, 4 from SS, 2 from KSK, 1 from HF, 2 from Kyouiku, 1 from Adult, 2 from TJ Singles, 1 Live.

15 songs is so constricting...Shiina Ringo has so many different styles it's hard to fit everything in.
Chiugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.07, 06:11 PM   #10
kourai

kourai is headed in the right direction

1 Kabukicho No Joou
2 Tsumi to Batsu (it's my favorite ever, actually)
3 Honnou
4 Meisai
5 La salle de bain
6 Sakana
8 Gibusu
9 Okonomide

10 Mayonaka wa jyunketsu
11 Sounan
12 Souretsu
13 Sid to Hakuchuumu
14 Remote controller
15 Kenka Joutou