Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2009.12.06, 11:51 PM   #121
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

I'm just excited to talk about it cuz most of my SH friends aren't around anymore, so I feel like I'm sitting on it all by myself. Survival horror is only truly fun when your playing in pairs, I can't do it myself or the atmosphere gets too heavy. On a related note, watching Silent Hill transform into the Nightmare/Otherworld as ice grows and expands the entire world is truly breathtaking, I actually was like "Wow..." when I first saw it I haven't said that since I got the gameboy color for christmas back in the day. truly amazing programming.

I'm looking forward to picking up Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks this week as well. I paid for it on full the other day when I was refunded my Silent Hill pre-order. Pretty much the only two franchises to get my money these days are Silent Hill and Zelda. I'll pay for first party big Nintendo releases (Zelda, Mario RPG games, like Bowser's Inside Story, and full fledged Pokemon updates, like Diamond Pearl, I'm not too into the double dipped rereleases, although I might have to play HeartGold and SoulSilver or whatever they are called, I loved Gold and Silver).

as for survival horror, I didn't play RE5 but what I read about it really made my shake my head. I think SH:SM is partly a reaction to what is going on in the gaming industry. Survival Horror is just that, survival games with a horror element, so I don't want to bust into a room with a small country's arsenal and blow up deformed oddities, I'd much rather creep around in the dark and try to not get murdered by fucked up psychological abnormalities. Fatal Frame was always great like that, you never really "fought" your adversaries, you exorcised them with a camera. Such a shame Nintendo never realised FF4: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse in the states (and Wii is region protected). It is supposed to be amazing (nonetheless by the two songs Amano Tsukiko wrote for it, both of which are two of my favorites). I feel comfortable enough playing it through in Japanese (I played Fatal Frame II in Japanese) but its only Wii and Wii's region coding is so tough I'd have to import a Japanese Wii just to play it...not going to happen.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.12.06 at 11:56 PM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.06, 11:58 PM   #122
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

How would you compare it to Silent Hill 1 & 2, is it genuinely up there in the scare stakes and does it still feel like a Silent Hill Game?
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.07, 12:27 AM   #123
kuro_neko

Its definitely in the spirit of the series but it shakes things up so much that its hard to say what other people will feel. it takes the spirit and transfuses into a completely different build. the helpless and desolate feeling is still strong, but the lack of constant danger is replaced by relative comfort of exploring the silent hill world (which is still intensely creepy) and then the intensely scary Nightmare segments which you are forced to do nothing but flee for your life. rather than have an even sense of danger throughout it polarizes the danger, so that is different. the game also plays linear in a similar way as 3 and 4 did. You can run around the town to your heart's desire as in 1 and 2, but it manages to guide you down a linear path, interspersed with the Nightmare sequences. I can't even BEAT the first one, if that gives you an indication of how much of learning curve the game has in some senses. Also, did you play Origins? SH:SM was developed by the same team which created Origins, which was generally liked. Homecoming was considered a huge misstep for the series, and it was developed by a different US time (The Collective). Its not similar to Origins in gameplay or design, but I think in feel it plays similarly, you can tell it was the same team.

if your going to get this game definitely get the Wii build, I heard the PS2 version is a port from the PSP build (to minimize cost and time, supposedly the pushed back release dates were because the ports were taking too much work, while the Wii version has been done for a while), and then the Wii flashlight and controls are clearly the way the game was designed and not some gimmick.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.12.07 at 12:30 AM.
Old 2009.12.07, 12:53 AM   #124
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I'll give the Wii version a shot in the New Year then (the sales ).
Using the controller like a flashlight sounds fun! probably makes you feel like your in the game.
Old 2009.12.07, 12:34 PM   #125
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo View Post
I'll give the Wii version a shot in the New Year then (the sales ).
Using the controller like a flashlight sounds fun! probably makes you feel like your in the game.
it kinda gave me a headache, makes for some motion sickness, but overall it works out well.
Old 2009.12.07, 12:40 PM   #126
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
where do you live?
I live in the east Cleveland suburbs. I'm going to pick it up after my first final tomorrow morning. I know I shouldn't play it since I have two very difficult finals on Wednesday, but I'm sure I'll pop it in when I get bored of studying.

I'll agree that Homecoming was a misstep in the series mainly because it was trying to be too much like the movie and SH2. However, the Hell Descent was one of the best areas in the entire series. I wish the whole game was like that.
Old 2009.12.07, 01:45 PM   #127
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I live in the east Cleveland suburbs. I'm going to pick it up after my first final tomorrow morning. I know I shouldn't play it since I have two very difficult finals on Wednesday, but I'm sure I'll pop it in when I get bored of studying.

I'll agree that Homecoming was a misstep in the series mainly because it was trying to be too much like the movie and SH2. However, the Hell Descent was one of the best areas in the entire series. I wish the whole game was like that.
yeah, I knew the game would be iffy when I saw developer interviews talking about how influenced they were by Silent Hill 2. The problem with the series, even in Shattered Memories, is that since than every Western developer has turned to the concept in 2, where Silent Hill is a physical manifestion of psychological traumas. I really wish they would make another game in the vein of 3 or even 4, which were developed at the same time. One to continue the series history and the other to take it an in unexplored and non-traditional direction. I think the problem is that since Team Silent doesn't really exist anymore and the Western developers are running the show none of them feel confident enough to step up and actually expand the universe. I mean the plot of Homecoming was essentially a subplot to the series. Origins was much better IMO. I wasn't able to play SM last night because I was helping my bf in his office (and I am restricted to playing with him around, ;;wwhppshhh cracks the whip; so I can't say anymore about it really. So far it has gotten positive reviews with the negative comments being the game's length being too short and lack of monster variety. Considering the game has numerous endings and variations of designs based on your profile, I think the short playthrough was probably designed to up the replay factor. Even so I think its about an 8 hour straight through, not counting running around in circles during Nightmare segments lol.
Old 2009.12.07, 10:14 PM   #128
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Fuck off! seems like we in the UK don't get Silent Hill until February I was planning to get it on Wednesday and had the Wii all dusted off and set up

May as well finish the Final Fantasy marathon then :/ (Already re-done 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,9,10,12,Tactics & Mystic Quest recently in succession).
Old 2009.12.07, 10:28 PM   #129
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo View Post
Fuck off! seems like we in the UK don't get Silent Hill until February I was planning to get it on Wednesday and had the Wii all dusted off and set up

May as well finish the Final Fantasy marathon then :/ (Already re-done 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,9,10,12,Tactics & Mystic Quest recently in succession).
that sucks. it doesn't even have a release date in japan yet, so your still ahead of the curve. do you have a ds? they aren't region coded so you could import a legend of zelda spirit tracks and play that to tide you over!
Old 2009.12.07, 10:38 PM   #130
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Yeah, I've got a DS. I'll give the game a look and see if it interests me!