Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2011.07.15, 04:15 AM   #161
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by karateexplosion View Post
Haha, how amusing. I rarely watch TV and just got into Doctor Who recently, so I figured I'd pop in and mention it. Lo and behold, peeps already talking it up on this page. Anyway, David Tennant rules.
I really want to start watching Doctor Who. This is the unfortunate reason I can't: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArchivePanic

It's a real problem
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.15, 01:41 PM   #162
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Start from Series 1 of the revival. You really DON'T need to know anything before the revival (Even though Tom Baker is awesome).

ALSO you can start with Series 5 of the revival. This is the first series with Matt Smith. The current series is Series 6. I would actually suggest this first.

If you decide to start watching with Series 5, I would advice to watch 3 episodes from the earlier series: Series 3 Episode 10 (Blink), Series 4 Episodes 9 and 10 (Silence in the Library, Forest of the Damned). They provide backround info on some events in Series 5 and 6, and are written by the main scriptwriter and producer of Series 5 onwards.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.18, 02:16 PM   #163
Andikki

Andikki is an asset to this community

Don't miss the one with gas masks, it's the scariest thing! (revival Season 1, eps 9-10) I think it was the turning point from "hmm... strange series" to "we absolutely love it!!!" in my household.

I started on initial Doctor. It's unbelievably horrible on almost every account, but I'm not stopping. Most of all I wish the granddaughter dead and forgotten.
Andikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.18, 02:28 PM   #164
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by karateexplosion View Post
Haha, how amusing. I rarely watch TV and just got into Doctor Who recently, so I figured I'd pop in and mention it. Lo and behold, peeps already talking it up on this page. Anyway, David Tennant rules.

yes he does

Although my biggst surprise in TV shows happened earlier this year when I watched Veronica Mars in 2 weeks. While working 10 hours a day.

And for watching Dr Who:

Read some of the stuff here, and the start watching Season 1 of the reboot in 2005. Just ENDURE season 1. There's a nice 2 parter and some background info + the introduction of the best companion, Rose. Then you can go fully prepared into season 2-4 which are the most awesome thing on television yet. Season 5-6 are decent, but not as good as the Tennant stuff.

MyAnimelist

Last edited by golem09 : 2011.07.18 at 02:33 PM.
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.18, 04:22 PM   #165
TurtleFu

I disagree completely. Only a tiny bit of the Tennant stuff is even necessary for the current Series (and I'm enjoying Series 6 about as much as Series 4. Series 3 was TERRIBLE). Watch the Series 1-4 episodes written by Steven Moffat (S01E09, S01E10, S02E04, S03E10, S04E9, S04E10), and you'll be well adjusted to Series 5's style.

Also:
Sarah Jane Smith > Donna Noble > Amy Pond > Rose Tyler > Martha Jones
Matt Smith => David Tennant > Chris Eccleston
Old 2011.07.18, 06:38 PM   #166
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

TOP GEAR IS BACK!!!!!
well. already 4 episodes in and mann....... i love this show.
Old 2011.07.19, 09:31 AM   #167
golem09

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
I disagree completely. Only a tiny bit of the Tennant stuff is even necessary for the current Series (and I'm enjoying Series 6 about as much as Series 4. Series 3 was TERRIBLE). Watch the Series 1-4 episodes written by Steven Moffat (S01E09, S01E10, S02E04, S03E10, S04E9, S04E10), and you'll be well adjusted to Series 5's style.

Also:
Sarah Jane Smith > Donna Noble > Amy Pond > Rose Tyler > Martha Jones
Matt Smith => David Tennant > Chris Eccleston
For Me:

Rose > Amy Pond > Martha Jones > Donna Noble
and
David Tennant > Matt Smith > Chris

I liked season 1-4 a LOT more that 5+6. Also the last movie with Tennant that ends season 4 is the saddest piece of film I've ever seen. And John Simm as The Master is BRILLIANT. TWICE!. The only Scene in seasons 5-6 that really moved me was at the end of the episode where we met Van Gogh.

MyAnimelist
Old 2011.07.19, 12:11 PM   #168
TurtleFu

The problem with 10 for me, was that Tennant was such a huge fan of the show, so 10 ended up being really manic and all over the place, because Tennant wanted to channel all of the previous Doctors into 10. So he ended up just being a jumble-up of the previous doctors (but mostly 5 6 and 7).
Smith's Doctor seems more focused as a character (but borrows heavily from 6)

Series 3 was terrible, when I was marathoning it I just wanted it to be over. Marth had promise in her introduction episode, but she never really lived up to it. I thought the finale was just awful, and the rest of the season boring, except for Blink and the Human Nature 2-parter.

I love Donna because she was genuinely hilarious (Catherine Tate! The Unicorn and the Wasp!), and her relationship with the Doctor was interesting. Also, she broke the spell of "being in the love with the Doctor".

(That's one thing I DON'T like about Moffat-era. Stop teasing us by going back and forth whether or not Amy loves the Doctor. She doesn't, she loves Rory, now stop saying "Oh, but does she reeeeeeeeeeaally?")

For Moffat-era, I really love Rory and the relationship between him and Amy.
Old 2011.07.19, 12:12 PM   #169
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Kylie Minogue > All
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.19, 12:34 PM   #170
golem09

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
For Moffat-era, I really love Rory and the relationship between him and Amy.
Yeah, Rory is definitely the best thing about the moffat era.

But what I miss most about the past S5 Doctor Who is the bold cheesiness that entertained me so well when it was just a low budget UK show.

MyAnimelist