Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.02.04, 04:17 AM   #1
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Question Favourite/Least Liked Shiina Ringo/TJ ballad?

I don't really like Shiina Ringo's ballads/'slow' songs.

Onaji Yoru (MM edition, although I prefer her vocals on DO!) is my favourite because it sounds a bit like a traditional Japanese song. And the way she sings is kind of grating, whic

I don't HATE it, per se, but Karada annoys me because it feels like it's trying too hard to be cool. It's interesting seeing TJ doing a 'rare groove' kind of track, but it's one song which I can't listen to without cringing because

A. It doesn't feel like a 'genuine' song. It feels like an imitation, "I don't want blah blah just sweet sensations'...it feels cliche, like those Japanese RnB artists who seem to base their songwriting on a 'How to write RnB' book.

B. Her engrish. I think some people give SR way too much flack for her English, which is a HUNDRED times better than many other Japanese artists. I love Genjitsu no Warau. I love La Salle de Bian. But this song makes me cringe. It sounds like she's singing "I've got a time to..." =/

There's tons of others I dislike because they sound boring. Odajini is saved because of the 'interference' in the background.

I don't know if Gips counts, but I roll my eyes every time I get to that song and skip immediately (What's funny is that so many people adore it. I once posted a thread on SR on another forum and that seemed to be everyone's favourite song. That song sounds like a generic J-Pop ballad on ultra mode)
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.04, 04:35 AM   #2
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
I don't know if Gips counts, but I roll my eyes every time I get to that song and skip immediately (What's funny is that so many people adore it. I once posted a thread on SR on another forum and that seemed to be everyone's favourite song. That song sounds like a generic J-Pop ballad on ultra mode)
Exactly, it's one of my least favorite songs on SS. Honestly it IS a nice song, and I like the lyrics, but it always was one of my least favorite ones, and yeah, it sounds like SR had a shot at a J-Pop ballad and succeeded, but it's still a J-Pop ballad and I usually don't like those. Actually ballads in general.
That said, Odaiji ni is just beautiful, and probably my favorite SR ballad, even taking TJ into consideration.
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.04, 08:29 AM   #3
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

What an unusual twist! I love Gibs, but can't stand the studio version of Odaijini. My favorite ballads:

SR - Shuukyo
TJ - Yume no Ato
Old 2009.02.04, 08:33 AM   #4
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by merman View Post
Exactly, it's one of my least favorite songs on SS. Honestly it IS a nice song, and I like the lyrics, but it always was one of my least favorite ones, and yeah, it sounds like SR had a shot at a J-Pop ballad and succeeded, but it's still a J-Pop ballad and I usually don't like those. Actually ballads in general.
And the "I wanna be with you!" =/

Oh, if Shuukyou counts, then Shuukyou no question. Arguably the best SR song. But maybe we shouldn't count it because it'd win =P
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.04, 08:37 AM   #5
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Is Rakujitsu a ballad? if so it's my favorite in that category! and the worst? that's Superstar.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.05, 12:00 AM   #6
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Haven't posted in a while and it's nice to see some new threads!

Least faves:
Shiina Ringo - Tsuki ni Makeinu
This song is just dullsville. I can't believe anybody can listen to this and think it's one of her best (Ukigumo, shame on you). And I consider it a ballad because it sounds just like all the other "alternative rock" ballad songs out there. So that's my logic and I'm sticking to it! But yeah, there really isn't anything interesting about this song in my eyes. It doesn't even sound like something she'd write. The melody doesn't have that usual Ringo flare.
Tokyo Jihen - Superstar
Do I really have to explain this one? Even the Dynamite Out performance of this wasn't mindblowing. And if it don't sound good there, it don't sound good ANYWHERE. 'Nuff said.

Faves:

Shiina Ringo - Odaiji ni
The KSK version of this is especially nice. The piano is, of course, nice but it's the subtle nuances that make it great. I love the heart monitor guitar in the background and how raspy her vocal gets near the end. I always picture somebody laying in a hospital bed looking out the window and hoping to get better and that day never coming. It's very sad and incredibly evocative. The raw emotion of this song just gets me every time.
Tokyo Jihen - Rakujitsu
It's a tough decision between this one and Yume no Ato but I have to say that this one is great because it can always bring my spirits up. And every single version of it has been good. It's just an unbreakable song! You have the original recording, the JCHI performance (which got almost everything else wrong so that's pretty impressive in my eyes), Ringohan's fantastic acoustic rendition, and nicosamurai's version on YouTube that are all great! It really does showcase Shiina Ringo's ability to write an amazingly soothing melody. It's easily one of my favorite Jihen songs, not just ballads.
Old 2009.02.05, 12:15 AM   #7
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Tsuki ni Makeinu a ballad?
That makes mostly every other Ringo song a balld D:
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.05, 01:16 AM   #8
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

With those rules being applied, Byoushou Public is my favorite ballad.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.05, 03:46 AM   #9
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Tegami is a ballad, no?
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.05, 04:13 AM   #10
Yappabass

Yappabass pleased at least somebody

Does that Zazen Ecstasy version of Nihon ni Umarete count?
Yappabass is offline   Reply With Quote