Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.03.05, 10:30 AM   #1
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Red face The 'Bathroom' series is great in all its incarnations!

Yokushitsu is one of the few SR songs that is awesome in all its forms. I rank them from favourite to least favourite:

1. Yokushitsu SS (I didn't like it when I first listened to it, because the opening reminded me of camp dance music, and the chorus annoyed me. But now it's on of my favourite tracks)
2. La Salle De Bain Phase 0 (That Fuji Rock Festival one. I love this performance based on how intense Shiina Ringo is, she performs like she's trying to squeeze the song out ("It's my EvERyTHING!"), which I think is very appropriate considering the title of the song. That Hirama opening is great too)
3. Yokushitsu HF (Epic. But the transition from Yokushitsu to La Salle Du Bian does annoy me sometimes because it's so shrill. The best part of the song is that underwater voice filter part)
4. Yokushitsu Zazen Ecstasy (I have a few problems with her vocals in this, but the intro is great)
5. La Salle Du Bain Ringohan (The arrangement is kind of happy, but eerie.)
6. La Salle Du Bain (Interesting song based on the novelty that it's Shiina Ringo doing Disney)

What do you think? I don't know if she's done any more versions (And if they were bad or not), but yah

Last edited by Scribble R : 2009.03.05 at 11:06 AM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.05, 10:55 AM   #2
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I haven't heard the Fuji Rock Festival performance, but on the otherhand you haven't heard the HF Yokushitu instrumental.

It took awhile for the Shouso Strip version to grow on me. I was annoyed with it for years until late one night when I was half-awake and imagining a Koufukuron-looking Ringo (outfit and all) in a recording studio with the lights out on her side of the glass, and with the soundboard side barely lit. Somehow the song really clicked me with at that point, and I've had nothing but love for it since.

The Engrish on La Salle de Bain annoys me even more than SS Yokushitsu as a whole has ever annoyed me. I don't even pay attention to the meaning of entire passages, because it's not in my nature to do so even with native English speaking vocalists - but it's just that the phonetics flow so awkwardly. I haven't warmed up to it yet, and the Engrish (or lack thereof) is a major reason why I like the HF instrumental so much. It's very cool just being able to hear the symphony and techno do their thing together without the distraction of vocals, like a Rob Dougan song.

Just for a sidenote, I seem to have most of my Shiina Ringo music-listening epiphanies while listening to her material in the middle of the night, with most/all of the lights out at home. The Koko de Kiss Shite demo (found as a bonus feature on Baishou Ecstasy) and the Electric Mole performance of Kuki (as audio-only) have similarly hit me in the face in the middle of the night.
Old 2009.03.05, 11:05 AM   #3
waxringo

waxringo has had more than 15 seconds of fame

i think the HF version is wonderful
meshing 2 awesome and very dift approaches to a song
i really enjoyed that
and it took a more surreal feel
the fuji rock version is beautiful, too.
I love how she sounds, like she's tugging each word out...it's so eerie and deep...and the rain falling. *swoon*
i've always liked every version i've heard the first time i heard it.
and the engrish...i LOVE the lyrics
I quote them a lot, actually
Old 2009.03.05, 11:05 AM   #4
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

La Salle de Bain, sorry. Excuse my Flench.

Shiina Ringo's Engrish, as a whole, doesn't bother me. She seems to not make the same mistakes as many of other J-Pop singers. She even uses it well a few times (Genjitsu except pro-stitute, which I don't think is as bad as people make it out to be. Shady nuke, too =P)

I shall listen to the HF instrumental.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.06, 02:52 PM   #5
MBF

MBF has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Well... my absolute favourite would be the Fuji Rock-version... it's just incredibly intense... still gives me goose-bumps.

(My #2 is HF-version.)
MBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.06, 11:31 PM   #6
Controversy

Controversy has had more than 15 seconds of fame

The HF version is epic. I introduced it to a friend who's into TJ to get her into SR's solo works. She loved it.

Just watched the Fuji Rock version. One word: Intense. For once, I'm okay with her engrish and yes, I can't stand La Salle de Bain. Oh, and I like the intro with the whole long hair and the tone of his guitar. <3
Controversy is offline   Reply With Quote