Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.07.01, 08:34 AM   #1
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer
Default Your favorite 2009 releases so far

I'm sorry if this seems like an overly generic topic, but I can assure you I am actually interested and not just starting a thread for the sake of doing so. I'm not hearing a whole lot of anything from this year that I really like. (Sanmon Gossip is I guess my favorite album from this year so far, and I'm not even that enthusiastic about it.)

It's always (at least a little bit) interesting to see what the rest of you listen to and like, because people on this site seem to arrive at Shiina Ringo fandom from many angles.

If people want to mention singles and tracks instead of--or in addition to--albums, that's fine.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.01, 09:07 AM   #2
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

The thing you have to caution against on threads like this, is that people are inclined to list out:
"Artists you generally like, who happened to release something in 2009"

For example, I could say that detroit7's Black & White is one of my "favorite releases of 2009", but being as that I am a fanboy, I'm predetermined to say that unless the album turns out to be crap. Nevermind that detroit7 has come out with better albums several years ago. All I can tell you is an artist I have liked enough to follow for year(s), has released something this year, and it isn't crap.

I also think it's far too early for you to be starting this thread, because I have yet to find out what ACIDMAN's new album is going to sound like, or Asai Kenichi's new single (which could be followed up by a not-yet-announced album in late 2009). Oh yes, and many of us are bracing ourselves for the Beatles remasters of 2009.09.09, which some people might declare to be their favorite release(s) because they are Beatles fans, rather than because the remasters live up to the hype.

You might as well just try to find out who peoples' favorite artists are, which we have thread(s) for already. Otherwise if you want to prevent bias, you might want to ask for "Artists you were not a fan of before 2009, who became among your favorite artists based on something you heard of theirs from 2009". In that regard, I cannot contribute anything to this thread, and I don't think anyone else can either.
Old 2009.07.01, 09:19 AM   #3
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

(as of June 2009, in no especifical order)

- Albums

.- Shiina Ringo - Sanmon Gossip
.- Utada - This Is The One
.- St. Vincent - Actor
.- BoA - BoA
.- Jolin Tsai - Butterfly Jolin
.- Tommy heavenly6 - I KILL MY HEART
.- The Gossip - Music For Men
.- Tomosaka Rie - Toridori.

- Singles

.- Shiina Ringo - Ariamaru Tomi
.- Namie Amuro - WILD/Dr.
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.01, 09:25 AM   #4
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
You might as well just try to find out who peoples' favorite artists are, which we have thread(s) for already. Otherwise if you want to prevent bias, you might want to ask for "Artists you were not a fan of before 2009, who became among your favorite artists based on something you heard of theirs from 2009". In that regard, I cannot contribute anything to this thread, and I don't think anyone else can either.
I don't understand this logic. You have some sort of artist-centric bias, but it's perfectly possible to like x releases by y artist without embracing them as one of your favorites. Maybe you don't consider individual singles, or even albums, important enough to discuss apart from an artist's total oeuvre. I don't share that opinion.

On other boards, this sort of question doesn't seem to discombobulate anyone. (Of course, I understand that this is a terribly serious board, so perhaps comparisons are inappropriate.) No, the year is not over and things remain to be heard, but believe it or not some people have already heard a number of 2009 albums they are interested in drawing attention to.

If I recall correctly, I first discovered Shiina Ringo/Tokyo Jihen on a thread such as this, earlier in that particular year.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.01, 09:34 AM   #5
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

If you rephrase the question to:
"Releases from 2009, that you can see yourself replaying a significant amount of times beyond 2009, compared to other recent releases from the same artist", I have to say that Ariamaru Tomi has been the only stellar release for me so far this year.

I didn't mean to threadcrap here. I'm just wary of the value of easy answers that aren't based on many conditions.
Old 2009.07.01, 09:34 AM   #6
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Superficial Fan View Post
terribly serious
this phrase reminded me of alice in wonderland .
i'll post my favourites thus far when i get back from work trabajo.
i do think this was a bit early, but i guess we can just pile them on for the rest of the year.
maybe as feelings change, too.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.01, 01:03 PM   #7
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

This year has brought some releases from some of my favorite artists. Franz Ferdinand and Metric both put out new albums -- but neither of them really have had some really good playback time.

Son Dam Bi put out her first "album", which was just rehashes from her last 2 singles. But the lead single and 2 more songs were actually pretty good so I'm happy with that release. Though it's nothing like "Michesso," which I'm not quite sure she can really top.

SNSD's Gee is perfect perfect. Listen to it and understand it's perfection.

Shiina Ringo is really the only one who put out something solid that has really had some playback worth. I've been playing the whole of both SG and AT since their release. Though few songs have really stuck out enough for me to repeat them in my head save for AT and Shun. It's just a good album to listen to as a whole, not so much track by track.

I'm really looking forward to Perfume's new album. NIGHT FLIGHT is awesome. Shakira's Loba is really giving me some hope for her new album. And I can't wait for Little Boots' album to come out in the US next month.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.01, 02:03 PM   #8
chibijelly

chibijelly has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by mizer_unmei View Post
SNSD's Gee is perfect perfect. Listen to it and understand it's perfection.
I have nothing to contribute to this thread yet.

Other than.

GEE GEE GEE GEE BABY BABY BABY!!
chibijelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.01, 02:49 PM   #9
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by mizer_unmei View Post
I'm really looking forward to Perfume's new album. NIGHT FLIGHT is awesome. Shakira's Loba is really giving me some hope for her new album. And I can't wait for Little Boots' album to come out in the US next month.
have you heard the drama about that album? one of the girls is complaining that nakata is turning them into his own "capsule 2" with less vocals and a more techno sound. i think i might actually like that album because of that, but they sure don't. should be interesting.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.01, 04:34 PM   #10
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
have you heard the drama about that album? one of the girls is complaining that nakata is turning them into his own "capsule 2" with less vocals and a more techno sound. i think i might actually like that album because of that, but they sure don't. should be interesting.
this is what I hate about pop groups. once they become successful they want to start to control their own image and the entire sum of their success is due to talented people behind the scenes pulling the right strings and pressing the right buttons. I don't get the appeal of Perfume, I've seen some clips and they look like exactly the type of jpop group that Ringo was the antithesis of in her prime (although she is probably ready to enlist in one by now).

shakira gave an interview recently and she said that the new album will be out in october and have 10 tracks, 3 in spanish and 7 in english. then in first quarter 2010 she will release a spanish album (same as she did with OF, except backwards). she said the new album is very 80's electronic pop fantasy, kind of disco. she also says she really wants a child and plans to do it without getting married since she is a modern woman. go shaki!
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote