Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.12.02, 01:16 AM   #1
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Default Can anyone recommend a book on music theory?

It's annoying that I find it difficult to articulate my thoughts on music. I want to be able to do it at least at a basic level.

Any recommendations?
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.04, 08:06 AM   #2
D.K.Liu

D.K.Liu is an asset to this community

Hi Scribble R, I don't know if I can help you since my knowledge of music theory is also quite lacking. I say this in the following context: in most areas of human endeavours, knowledge/skill levels are probably better measured in logarithmic scale, e.g. the skill of someone at level 3 is a hundred time that of level 1. While I might seem knowledgeable to someone at level 1, I'm easily dwarfed by many others.

I do have an interest in music theory however: I read stuff here and there on the internet, and I try to do aural training by learning to sing/recognize intervals, chord progressions, transcribe melodies (usually just in the head: melody -> do, re, mi).

What kinds of "thoughts on music" do you want to express? Do you want to write down music you are composing/hearing in your head? Do you want to talk about song structure? Do you want to talk about the psychological aspect of music (e.g. the effects of certain patterns, pitch combination)?

In any case, the internet is our friend. Maybe try out Google scholar. I found the following article/documents, which I haven't read yet but seems interesting. This document is from the course outline of some high school, it's got information on the textbook they are using. Here are some (1, 2) academic article on the social and pscyhological aspect of music.
D.K.Liu is offline   Reply With Quote