Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.05.01, 02:17 PM   #1
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts
Default Songs You've Changed Your Opinion On

Hey d00ds and d00dettes. I know the thread title isn't proper English, but it sounded less awkward than "Songs for Which Your Opinion has Changed."

Anyway, I'm kinda wishy-washy when it comes to some music, and I assume that most other people are too. There are some songs that I may love at first but begin to really loathe, or vice-versa, after listening to them a lot. This has happened with a few Shiina Ringo / Tokyo Jihen songs (though I actually do like all of their songs; some may have simply decreased in enjoyment ranking). Does anyone have any examples of this?

Now, I don't mean stuff like "Hey, the Dynamite Out version of Toumei Ningen was so much better than Adult's! Now I HATE that jawn!" I'm talking about changing your opinion about one version of a song.

Here are mine:

1) I used to think Blackout was pretty ghetto because it sounded too much like Kyouiku stuff, but after listening to it more, I really enjoy it immensely.

2) I used to love blasting Crawl while driving, but the other day while I was screaming along with it (using random nonsensical words as I do not understand Japanese), I hit a bunny. Immediately afterwards, I turned Kyouiku off, rolled up the windows, and drove in silence for about 15 minutes. I haven't been able to listen to it since. That's probably not a good example, but I don't like the song as much anymore.

3) I used to think Kyougenshou was a lame album starter until I fell in love with Shouso Strip as a whole a couple summers ago. I realized that I had never actually listened to the song closely. I always kinda zoned out while I had it playing.

4) I thought about a third of the songs on KZK were pretty bland until I put them in order on my playlist. They were previously mixed in with the rest of my Shiina Ringo mp3s, and I wasn't even aware of what song came from which album. As soon as I listened to it straight through, I felt compelled to order it on cdJapan.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.01, 02:38 PM   #2
badtzmaru

badtzmaru has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Ooh, another great topic!! Is the topic title really bad English? (I can't tell... T_T)

To tell the truth, I didn't like "Tsumi to Batsu" at first. I think it was because it was one of the first Ringo songs I heard, and I still wasn't used to her raw voice then. But, I really love her voice there now--I think it's one of my favorite songs for her voice. I don't know why, but I was a little annoyed when Utada Hikaru tried to imitate her with that song. o_o;;

I can't think of anymore, though... I love Ringo so much now that it's hard to not like any of her songs when I first listen to it. (That might be a bad thing, but I can't help it... >_<)

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
2) I used to love blasting Crawl while driving, but the other day while I was screaming along with it (using random nonsensical words as I do not understand Japanese), I hit a bunny. Immediately afterwards, I turned Kyouiku off, rolled up the windows, and drove in silence for about 15 minutes. I haven't been able to listen to it since. That's probably not a good example, but I don't like the song as much anymore.
OMG, I don't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for the bunny and you. T_T;; What a horrible experience with a Ringo song; I can understand why you don't like the song anymore... *pats sympathetically*

Why did you roll up the windows, though?
Old 2007.05.01, 02:41 PM   #3
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

I really changed my mind on Rakujitsu after I heard the version On the Dai ikkai DVD, I used to think the song was boring, but the version on the DVD is indescribable in its beauty, the mood and quiet accompaniment from the band was perfect
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.01, 03:05 PM   #4
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

I used to really love "Sigma" and now when I listen to it it's like "wtf, what was so great about this?" I can't get over the absolutely unintelligible English.

Oh yeah, same for "Tsumiki Asobi," not as huge a fan of it anymore.

Can't think of anything I used to hate and now love, though. Just things I overlooked--like the B-sides of the Sounan single (Dynamite and Kokoro), they're both reallly good songs!
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.01, 04:30 PM   #5
CatchFiveBats

CatchFiveBats has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I used to really dislike "Rinne Highlight". Something about the way she sang it just sounded really cheesy and weird to me, but now it's not too bad.

I can't really think of any others right now, but I'm sure I'll add some later.
Old 2007.05.01, 04:36 PM   #6
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
I used to really love "Sigma" and now when I listen to it it's like "wtf, what was so great about this?" I can't get over the absolutely unintelligible English.
Goddamn, I've always hated that song, its the one shiina song that I can't stand, the OnLy one!
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.01, 04:47 PM   #7
freshevryday

freshevryday pleased at least somebody

The first song I heard was Shuraba, I used to thing the voice was so annoying. The name and everything were in Japanese too so I didn't know who made it. I listened to it like 30 times before I found out it was from Tokyo Jihen. Then I researched 'em and stuff. I saw that on one site Shiina Ringo was the lead singer and she did her own stuff too.
freshevryday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.01, 04:50 PM   #8
freshevryday

freshevryday pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by cjhobbies00 View Post
Goddamn, I've always hated that song, its the one shiina song that I can't stand, the OnLy one!
sigma is cool just cuz shiina made it. i think it shows that she does whatever she wants.
freshevryday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.01, 05:22 PM   #9
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I hated Gunjo Biyori when it came out, but I like it now.
I think Tsuki ni Makeinu was a terrible song, but it's really just the intro that gets on my nerves.
Same for Sakana, that 20sec intro is too damn annoying.

One song I'll never change my opinion on though, is Toumei Ningen adult ver. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Old 2007.05.01, 10:10 PM   #10
Jer

Jer is headed in the right direction

How could you hate Gunjyou Biyori ;~;
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote