Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2008.04.08, 02:42 AM   #1
HappySlyme

HappySlyme pleased at least somebody
Default Shiina's musical inspirations

listening to some of shiina/TJ's (non-cover) songs, and as with any song it seems that motifs, themes, riffs etc are borrowed from other musicians.

example:

Ukigumo's rhythm guitar is inspired by gal costa's aquele frevo ax

and i also heard something about '17' being inspired by a specific beatles song.

i thought it'd be interesting to see where shiina's ideas may have sprung from. anyone think of some more?
HappySlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.08, 03:20 AM   #2
digdad

digdad has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Actually, although the Beatles did have a song that was originally titled "17" ("I Saw Her Standing There"), the direct inspiration for Shiina's "17" was the song "At Seventeen" by Janis Ian. Janis Ian's lyrics tell a story of a girl on the outside dealing with a popular crowd she's not a part of, which is much like Shiina's song. (The Beatles song by comparison is more like "check out that 17-year-old girl over there, she's pretty hot".)

As far as other songs with identifiable inspiration, let's see.... I have been listening to a lot of Shibuya-kei recently and have been noticing a bit of that influence in some of her songs. For example, "Aozora" has strong Shibuya-kei elements throughout--you can definitely hear the influence of people like Konishi Yasuharu and Cornelius in that one. I'd even consider the KSK version of Yattsuke Shigoto to be a Shibuya-kei remake of the song.

Last edited by digdad : 2008.04.08 at 03:30 AM.
digdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.08, 05:57 AM   #3
Cosmo!

Cosmo! is an asset to this community

17 (besides the obvious Janis Ian inspiration) always reminded me of a '70s piano ballad someone like Carole King or Carly Simon would sing. Very cool.

Most of Ringo's influences (at least the ones she's fessed up to) are jazz or classical musicians. MM and SS have that heavy rock veneer that was profitable at the time, so you can hear more of this influence in albums like KZK, HF, Education, Adult and UM's Mori-pact disc (which just totally let the cat out of the bag). I think she's done a lot to try and shake off that tough rocker chick persona.

Last edited by Cosmo! : 2008.04.08 at 06:04 AM.
Cosmo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.11, 09:10 AM   #4
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Talking about Shibuya-kei, "Blackout" always reminds me of that musical genre, especially of Pizzicato Five's "A Perfect World" (whose PV I couldn't find) and "Message Song" songs. It's like one of those songs, but with a rock feeling in it (IMO, of course).

Message Song

Last edited by Orenji : 2008.04.11 at 10:05 AM.
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.11, 11:48 AM   #5
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

^ I think Blackout shares the same drumming pattern as Message Song. I can hear the similarities between the two songs especially towards the end of the song.

I like Message Song better though.
Old 2008.04.11, 11:51 AM   #6
Orenji

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
^ I think Blackout shares the same drumming pattern as Message Song. I can hear the similarities between the two songs especially towards the end of the song.
Good! I'm not the only one XD.

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
I like Message Song better though.
Me too *___*, I have like 3 versions of the songs and I love them!
Old 2008.04.11, 12:12 PM   #7
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
Me too *___*, I have like 3 versions of the songs and I love them!
Puoi mandarne a me, per favore?

Originally Posted by digdad View Post
For example, "Aozora" has strong Shibuya-kei elements throughout--you can definitely hear the influence of people like Konishi Yasuharu and Cornelius in that one.
I usually associate Shibuya-kei with Serge Gainsbourg-esque French influences (on top of the bossa flavour of course), so I would argue that Aozora is simply a bossa nova inspired pop song. Then again... Aozora was released during the period when SR was doing the whole "Shinjuku-kei" thing, which didn't quite take off. So I wouldn't disagree with Shibuya-kei influences in Aozora.

Ringo no Uta is another song that has the bossa nova influence, as well as sprinklings of the French musette with the accordion.

More bossa nova going on in Keshou Naoshi too, but it's so uninteresting.
Old 2008.04.11, 12:18 PM   #8
Orenji

Another Shibuya-kei-like song is "SSAW", isn't it? It reminds me of KareKano & Chobits' OSTs .

KareKano ending: "Yume no Naka e"

Last edited by Orenji : 2008.04.11 at 12:21 PM.
Old 2008.04.11, 12:23 PM   #9
digdad

digdad has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I never really thought of Blackout as Shibuya-kei, but it definitely does have the same frantic drum beat as Perfect World, and the keyboards in the bridge and at the end have that Shibuya-kei quality also.

Another thing about Blackout is the power chords in the break in the middle of the song always reminded me of Oye Como Va by Santana.
Old 2008.04.11, 12:41 PM   #10
Orenji

Originally Posted by digdad View Post
Another thing about Blackout is the power chords in the break in the middle of the song always reminded me of Oye Como Va by Santana.
TRUE!!! Curiously, I used to play that song with my school orquestra, haha!