Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2008.10.16, 10:57 AM   #1
teattum

teattum has had more than 15 seconds of fame
Default How to do KZK by Tokyo Jihen songs?

Hello people!

I'm not kind of guy who post a lot - because I'm rather afraid of my own english...*

Ok, I create this topic because I just finished a compilation of Tokyo Jihen's songs.
I love sooo much KZK, and I wanted to create a playlist with TJ's pieces to have an album which could be called KZK V 2.0. Another way to say this, A lot of song, which put together, can give a tracklist with the (high) level of KZK.

This idea has came to me because, actually, Ringo doesn't seem to prepare any new album (a B side collection is rather cool, but I waited more with Ringo)

There is the track list

01 Yukiguni
02 Sake to Geko
03 Jusui Negai
04 Killer Tune
05 Rakujitsu
06 Tasogare naki (for mother)
07 Genjitsu no Warau
08 Senko Shoujo
09 Sounan
10 Shuraba (single vers.)
11 Yume no Ato

I ask you all to think about this tracklist, how do another? I make a call to your imagination!

*I hope not to make any mistakes, and at least, to be undestood.
teattum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.16, 01:50 PM   #2
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Let's just say it's not possible to make another KSK - especially not with Jihen material. They just never made complex, layered and cerebral music... they're much more straightforward than KSK would ever be.
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.16, 03:14 PM   #3
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

See, this sorta things right up my ally

I see what you're going for, and I think it's easy to just say "oh it can't be done for this and this this." So I applaud you for attempting something thats not easy and not conventional (given Jihen's repertoire and KZK's aesthetic work against each other.)

That said I like this thread alot and will listen to your playlist since I've asked the same a couple time before (tho your idea is an easier sell than my stuff because you're not aiming to "out do" the band which makes some of you jerks all hot flustered =p)

Any talk of KZK and TJ almost instantly ellicits Yukiguni, so I think its appropriate to put it right at the start. I see what you're getting at with Sake to Geko, so I'll just look over the fact that the song doesn't work "as a song." I think you have a really hard sell billing Senko Shoujo or even Killer Tune as in the vein of KZK. SS is just soo turbo pop and Killer Tune, well...
You definitely picked the right version of Tasogare Naki. Rakujitsu too, tho I can't even remember what the studio ver sounds like anymore after "committing" to the JCHI rendition.

I don't think this is soo much of a stretch as merman or others I'm sure might knee-jerk react. Espescially with the Adult material and the less guitar-ey Kyouiku songs. Of course the debate then is "is it worth a listen?" which is debateable.
Old 2008.10.17, 04:55 AM   #4
teattum

teattum has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Whoa I didn't think anybody to answer a response as searched a you - so, thank you

I admit I maked this track list in a few time, I did'nt want to make a link between KZK songs and TJ. I wanted something who remembers KZK. Of course the first (ukiguni) and last song (souretsu) can be saw as a comparison with shukyou and souretsu, but It's not the same thing for the other tracks.

I wanted the songs follows between them to let a continuity, for avoid that the following of two songs are not relevant.
Also, the choice of the song is indeed wanted. The difficulty was especially to make the "line"... To make the impression, the songs put one after one, gives a kind of officiality.
teattum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.18, 08:08 AM   #5
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I don't think any Jihen material can match up to KZK.
The closest they ever came, was in the Electric Mole DVD.
Tokyo Jihen Phase 0, doing KZK live.

I like.
Old 2008.10.18, 10:55 AM   #6
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

My choices would be:

Ringo No Uta (original version)
Keshou Naoshi
Ekimae
Nyuusui Negai
Karisome Otome
Yukiguni
Bokoku Joucho
Hatsukoi Shoujo
Yume no Ato
Sakuran
Tasogare Naki

I think these songs have the feeling of KSK. They'd have to be composed and arranged in a way to sound cohesive though.

Last edited by ShadyNook : 2008.10.18 at 10:59 AM.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.19, 09:49 AM   #7
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
I don't think any Jihen material can match up to KZK.
The closest they ever came, was in the Electric Mole DVD.
Tokyo Jihen Phase 0, doing KZK live.

I like.
That's something along the lines I was meaning in my above post... it's also because I feel KSK is not only very different from Jihen's repertoire, but Ringo's solo work as well. It's like a venture to different territories musically, not that she simply "won't ever manage to do anything even remotely that good" or, God forbid, something like "not possible because TJ sucks" because that's not what I meant at all.
I'll be curious enough though to check on how TJ tracks allude KSK to others, because that's always an interesting thing
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.20, 08:48 AM   #8
monad

monad is an asset to this community

WRT KZK and Jihen: despite the large amounts of suck over the past year and a half, the non-Shiina portion of Jihen had boatloads of great ideas (however half-formed many of them were) on Variety, the Variety b-sides, and the new songs on HF.

I've said it before, but again: I'd love to see TJ lock themselves in a house together for 6 months, bounce every crazy-ass idea each of them ever had off of the others, and get totally anal-compulsive about perfection to the point of hating each other for the next 20 years. They really could make a monster of an album -- something beyond even KZK, something truly new, like Music from Big Pink, or Pet Sounds, or that first David Grisman Quintet Album -- if they were deadly serious about it.
monad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.20, 08:54 AM   #9
bebio

bebio is an asset to this community

I agree. Tokyo Jihen could make some amazing music together... if only they didn't have to make one release per year for Toshiba-EMI :p

They rush things too much. In the west people take their time to make a proper album.
Old 2008.10.20, 09:03 AM   #10
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by bebio View Post
I agree. Tokyo Jihen could make some amazing music together... if only they didn't have to make one release per year for Toshiba-EMI :p

They rush things too much. In the west people take their time to make a proper album.
Well, 2008 has been pretty much TJ-less.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote