Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Main Forum (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Okay Then, SR B-Sides vs. TJ B-Sides (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=1276)

Tokyo Jihad 2009.07.15 01:00 PM

Jihen B-sides are always songs that "didn't make the cut."

SR B-sides often feel like they weren't even intended to be on the album, and were recorded because she wanted to.

Saying that TJ b-sides more frequently are better than album cuts, where SR b-sides barly ever should replace songs on respective albums is not a sign that TJ b-sides > SR. It shows how much stronger SR albums are than TJ's.

frecklegirl 2009.07.15 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo (Post 60173)
Aisaika no Choshoku/Suberdai/Aozora >>>>>>>>> her other B-Sides >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jihen B-Sides

Simple really. :)

definitely!!

Cosmo! 2009.07.15 02:34 PM

Aozora, Memai, Suberidai, Aisaika no Choushoku, Ichijiku no Hana, Toki ga Bousou Suru, Sakuran and Ringo Catalogue (although it's a given) are some of the best songs Ringo has ever recorded, and they're all B-sides. others not mentioned (17, Remote Controller, Sigma, Tokyo no Onna, Fukou Jiman, La Salle de Bain) are good songs in their own right, with one true stinker (that cover of Can't Take My Eyes Off of You).

three Tokyo Jihen B-sides are covers of some obscure/old song, with Dynamite being great, The Lady is a Tramp being cool because the band irreverently tears it to shit and Get it Up for Love having great lyrics and a cool, funky vibe going for it. Rakujitsu is a beautiful ballad, Kao is pretty bottom-of-the-barrel and Kokoro is another one of my favorite all-time Ringo songs. there's also the issue of Killer Tune's B-sides being two giant turds and OSCA's B-sides being better than quite a few songs on the single's respective album.

so...all in all, I think TJ B-sides are a mixed bag of hit-or-miss while we can expect some level of quality from Ringo on her own. I think SR B-sides have it.

ShadyNook 2009.07.15 03:04 PM

Rinne Highlight is pretty awful too.

Ringo completely Richard Cheese'd the Suzanna Hoffs song. so cheesy.

huerta 2009.07.15 07:33 PM

I think Aisaika no Choshoku it's my favorite, there is any live of this song?

Tokyo Jihad 2009.07.15 07:54 PM

There isn't.

Kao > Rakujitsu. Don't let JCHI fool you, on the single, the song isn't nearly as good.

Osiris12345 2009.07.15 08:36 PM

I feel the exact opposite. The live performance of Rakujitsu isn't THAT much better than the single. Kao is pretty good but not particularly amazing. Dynamite Out made Kao much better than the single did.

MBF 2009.07.20 10:24 AM

Her solo stuff wins for me... thanks to Tokyo no Onna and Sakuran ONKIO Ver. (which is clearly the BEST b-side track eve... to me)

kuro_neko 2009.07.20 08:24 PM

Jihen for the win. As much as I love solo Ringo, Jihen's b-sides are above and beyond. Ringo's b-sides are playful and experimental, so some work really well, and some not so much. Jihen, on the other hand, almost always has b-sides that on level, if not above and beyond (Variety???) album material. The only exception I have for Jihen would be Kao, which still tends to make a lovely piano ballad, ala Just Can't Help It.

Also, Ringo's last two solo singles, KYNK and AT have both had kind of iffy b-sides. SG ~Superficial Gossip~ was exciting and great on first listen, but there is just something about it that doesn't make me actually want to listen to it as a legit single track, probably all the hype about it serving as a preview for the album, makes it seem more like a preview than an actual song able to stand on its own.

madpawn 2009.07.20 11:54 PM

Jihen, certainly. I consider Rakujitsu and Kokoro as two of the best songs she's ever written, probably in my top 10. The only SR B-side on that level for me would be Ichijiku no Hana, though Aozora and Remote Controller and Memai are all wonderful.