Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Product Reviews & Information (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   [SR] 2002.05.27 - Utaite Myouri ~Sono Ichi~ (CD) [Album] (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=22)

Osiris12345 2009.05.12 10:25 AM

I've always enjoyed this one particularly because I love Ringo's takes on all the different covers. It isn't essential but I think it's a nice treat. It's really neat hearing all of her influences in her own personal style.

Beltshumeltz 2009.07.12 03:29 AM

I never understood what the deal was with this album. I did not recognize the songs so I figured they were original compositions until I read this thread. So they are covers?

This is I think my least favorite album, because I only liked the first song of one of the CDs, the one where she signs with the Spitz singer.

I was always very grateful for this album however since it helped me discover Spitz itself! If you do not know that band, I highly recommend them. The voice will either be intriguing or off-putting at first but all songs have a catchy, beautiful melody and grow on you. You can guess how you'll like Spitz's singer from his voice in the Utaite Miyouri song. But his songs and his voice grow on you so much!

Also Spitz is very prolific so you will have about 10 to 15 albums to listen to. I've listened to about 10 many many times and I really love them.

With that said, perhaps I will give this album another chance. I always have trouble when she sings in English or French though... and I remember there were many such songs here. Anyway I will give this a couple more listenings.

Tokyo Jihad 2009.07.12 09:24 AM

Momen no Handkerchief is the best pop song Shiina has recorded

Cosmo! 2009.07.12 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad (Post 60018)
Momen no Handkerchief is the best pop song Shiina has recorded

damn right. Shiroi Kobato is up there for me too.

Orenji 2009.07.12 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmo! (Post 60019)
damn right. Shiroi Kobato is up there for me too.

Shiroi Kobato is gorgeous.

I love this double album for some reason. It's better than -guess what?- Variety, IMO.

Scribble R 2009.07.12 11:18 AM

Momen no Handkerchief is dreamy and bubbly and airy

Cosmo! 2009.07.12 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orenji (Post 60020)
I love this double album for some reason. It's better than -guess what?- Variety, IMO.

I love this album, too. it's much better than Variety, if you ask me. the way she reimagines these classics is great. turning More into a futuristic cabaret and shredding the shit out of Yer Blues? fuck yes. even when she spits out German over a metallic marching beat or does her best Marilyn Monroe impression she makes it work.

the second disc loses steam, though: Kimi wo Aisu is a boring opener, the two duets are pretty cringe-worthy (especially the one with her brother) and I don't think I can quite get behind her cover of (Just Like) Starting Over. I love Kareha, Kuroi Orufe and Komori Uta, though.

kuro_neko 2009.07.12 04:17 PM

why are we comparing this to Variety? this is a double-album of covers and Variety is a Jihen album of original music...

Tokyo Jihad 2009.07.12 04:35 PM

because EMF is obsessed with that album =p

Cosmo! 2009.07.12 04:49 PM

you're right. we really shouldn't be comparing them because this album is good and Variety is...um...well...Variety.

EDIT: I'll get in trouble if I just leave it at that. the two albums are classified completely differently but a. Variety is like the red-headed frecklefaced stepchild who gets no love in this community and is easy to pick on and b. my point was that I'd rather listen to an uneven album of covers than Variety, which is an uneven album of original songs that are either great, terrible or belong on reruns of Match Game '75.