Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Product Reviews & Information (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   [TJ] 2007.09.26 - Variety (CD) [Album] (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=629)

frecklegirl 2007.09.15 08:56 AM

[TJ] 2007.09.26 - Variety (CD) [Album]

娯楽(バラエティ) (Variety)

01. ランプ (Ramp)
02. ミラーボール (Mirror Ball)
03. 金魚の箱 (Kingyo no Hako)
04. 私生活 (Shiseikatsu)
05. OSCA
06. 黒猫道 (Kronekodow)
07. 復讐 (Fukushuu)
08. 某都民 (Boutomin)
09. SSAW
10. 月極姫 (Tsukigime-hime)
11. 酒と下戸 (Sake to Geko)
12. キラーチューン (Killer Tune)
13. メトロ (Metro)
Total Playtime: 49:45

Second-Press Availability: Amazon.co.jp, CD Japan, HMV Japan, YesAsia

Op2 2007.09.23 07:12 PM

The Variety show.
Ramp = Opening Credits
Metro = Closing Theme

And, I am not afraid to say everything in between is pure sex in my ears.
Tokyo Jihen, you guys created an amazing album that justified every cent I paid for the CD. You created new music unlike anything else in the industry, yet drawing elements from the entire scene. This is what every artist should aim to achieve.

I am going to type out a full review later, but my first impressions are that this album is beyond exceptional. Modernizing and inspiring from older music, such as founding pop and rock songs from the 70s to Hi-NRG and eurodance, this album is a feast. The drum-and-snare insanely catchy Mirrorball, the power ballad Shiseikatsu that brings instant nostalgia to anyone, the throaty bittersweet "strapped to a guitar" Fukushuu, the beautifully crafted multi-faceted technotronic Tsukigime-hime, and oh so much more, and ahhh I am in love again with Tokyo Jihen.

I secretly had my doubts how this concept would work, but damn it, they pulled it off flawlessly.

Tokyo Jihad 2007.09.23 07:29 PM

Cursory notes: Shiseikatsu is a watered down Superstar. Fukushuu is Shiina does A Perfect Circle. Not sure that makes either good in their own right, but at least worth the listen.

Mirrorball: JCHI > Variety.

Tsukigime-hime isnt horrendous. Yet Uki still cant just "end" a song.

Killer Tune is horrendous.

Boutomin nor Ssaw should not have been allowed to exist with a song like Pinnochio around. or Kaban for that matter.

I didnt sign up for J-pop, guys.

justriiingo 2007.09.23 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Migoto (Post 16834)
Sorry to ask this if it was already explained, but why is that that everyone is calling the first track "Ramp"... It could also be "Lamp", couldn't it?

Er. Cuz HMV romanised it as Ramp? Also because it's something about a car... Er. Doesn't quite make sense. Anyway, Ramp it is.

kuro_neko 2007.09.23 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Op2 (Post 16836)
The Variety show.
Ramp = Opening Credits
Metro = Closing Theme

And, I am not afraid to say everything in between is pure sex in my ears.
Tokyo Jihen, you guys created an amazing album that justified every cent I paid for the CD. You created new music unlike anything else in the industry, yet drawing elements from the entire scene. This is what every artist should aim to achieve.

I am going to type out a full review later, but my first impressions are that this album is beyond exceptional. Modernizing and inspiring from older music, such as founding pop and rock songs from the 70s to Hi-NRG and eurodance, this album is a feast. The drum-and-snare insanely catchy Mirrorball, the power ballad Shiseikatsu that brings instant nostalgia to anyone, the throaty bittersweet "strapped to a guitar" Fukushuu, the beautifully crafted multi-faceted technotronic Tsukigime-hime, and oh so much more, and ahhh I am in love again with Tokyo Jihen.

I secretly had my doubts how this concept would work, but damn it, they pulled it off flawlessly.

yaaaay, I was already excited for this album anyways, the jewel in my week most definitely, and reading your positive review makes me just that much more excited, woo hoooooooo. I can't wait to hear Mirrorball again, XD

oh, how was Izawa on SSAW? I read that is a duet. XDXD

Glathannus 2007.09.23 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Op2 (Post 16829)

I'm going to wait for the CD this time.
Or maybe I should wait for the vinyl...

In any case, the advantage for me here (aside from the 'inaudible' details preserved by lossless) is that if I end up not liking the music, I'll have SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS and Yoko Kanno in the same shipment to keep me happy.

I'll look forward to seeing full reviews in the meantime, though.

zarya 2007.09.23 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glathannus (Post 16842)
I'm going to wait for the CD this time.
Or maybe I should wait for the vinyl...

In any case, the advantage for me here (aside from the 'inaudible' details preserved by lossless) is that if I end up not liking the music, I'll have SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS and Yoko Kanno in the same shipment to keep me happy.

I'll look forward to seeing full reviews in the meantime, though.

I'm doing the opposite, this time, I'm not waiting for my CD. I'm not gonna receive it until next week anyways.

HappySlyme 2007.09.23 09:37 PM

i just downed it from jpopsuki.

man oh man! those sample clips from whatever site it was didn't do variety any justice at all and lowered my expectations to what i was expecting to be the demise of tj and shiina career, but putting this on my verdict is:

VARIETY IS FUCKIN ACES

every genre cross they do, every vocal flare, the unexpected heaviness of Fukushuu (although we got a taste of it in JCHI's Kenka Joutou) was brilliant and the punk moodiness/glam of Tsukigime-hime, very neat. and they weren't even the highlights!

congrats to tokyo jihen, how did i doubt you?

* i'll almost mention its orgasmic when they flick the time signature to 3/4 for that haunting quality in Sake to Geko (ala Yume no Ato).

Cinders 2007.09.23 09:43 PM

I absolutely loved it. It seems everything Tokyo Jihen does is crack for my ears.

Kasanagi 2007.09.23 10:12 PM

...Must resist leakage... this is the first time I've actually sat down, read the forums, and waited for a TJ album to be release, every other album were YouTube'd, Mp3'ed, long before I got my hands on the actual CD...

Argh what the hell am I talking about? *click link

zarya 2007.09.23 10:46 PM

The end of Boukamin put a smile on my face, loved the kabuki reference.

Kronekodow: I was scared that this song would be so-so, since the title is the name of SR's trademark symbol. I instant-loved it.

My other big coup de coeur goes out to Tsukigime-hime <3

The other songs apart from Osca and KT will have to grow on me a bit more I guess, but overall I'm satisfied. I was afraid the no-Ringo-composed-tracks was gonna be some kind of a let down. It's not the same thing, but it's good to my ears.

Verdict: very much like.

justriiingo 2007.09.23 11:22 PM

Okay I don't hate this album.
I guess that says something.

NCORE 2007.09.24 01:10 AM

I'm a bit dissapointed, didn't like the new version of mirrorball, Kingyo no haka got me pumped and excited, thinking this album might actually be great, then the rest of the songs I felt were uninteresting and boring
Shiseikatsu felt dissapointing the first few times :(
Also it's sad that one of the better parts of this album is a line copied out of kabuki :P
(please don't hit me :P)
Kronekodow sounds like drunk russians making japanese music (it had a ninja sound to it right? Reminds me of the Russian Ninja Burgler in Italy :D)

OSCA and Killer tune felt like a liberation when they came along, I mean I liked these more than most others... so maybe the rest will sound better in a week or so ^^
Tsukigime hime was a really good song imo :D

Jesse 2007.09.24 03:28 AM

Well I'm not disappointed... it's what I was expecting. Not many bad songs... but not too many great songs either.

Kingyo no Hako is alright up until the My Chemical Romance guitar solo... I've never had the urge to actually cut a part out of an mp3 until now...

Mirrorball is better than the JCHI version (which I never liked), but it's still meh. Shiseikatsu is a very crappy version of Superstar.

And I don't really remember anything else... I'm only half way through my second listen.

Oh and I've decided I really don't like Killer Tune... not that I ever really liked it, I've just come to the realization I just can't deal with the chorus anymore.

OSCA > All.

golem09 2007.09.24 03:37 AM

Decent album.

What a surprise, Killer Tune was the best song on the album...
Well, I liked Ramp, SSAW and Metro. Kingyo no Hako, Shiseikatsu and Sake to Geko were really good.
But the rest? Shit.
Kronekodow sounds like this albums Ekimae, Mirrorball, Tsukigime-hime and Boutomin are just crap, and what the hell is up with Fukushuu? That song sounds like any other rock-/metal wannabe on MTV.
Maybe Boutomin could have been good if it was only sung by Shiina. Maybe.
Somehow I hate Uki even more after this album, don't ask me why.

I hope this will be phase 4:

All this is just my opinion, I can't say anything about how good or bad the songs really "are"

Migoto 2007.09.24 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justriiingo (Post 16839)
Er. Cuz HMV romanised it as Ramp? Also because it's something about a car... Er. Doesn't quite make sense. Anyway, Ramp it is.

Sorry, but where on HMV it says "Ramp"? Couldn't find it...

Oh, and I think it's a great album, by the way! :)
I hope my CD doesn't take too long to arrive.

justriiingo 2007.09.24 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Migoto (Post 16858)
Sorry, but where on HMV it says "Ramp"? Couldn't find it...

It says so on the English version of hmv.co.jp.

bam 2007.09.24 07:49 AM

Fukushuu is just so non-TJish...

madpawn 2007.09.24 08:12 AM

Initial impressions:

LOVE
Ramp
OSCA
Kuronekodo
Bo Tomin
SSAW
Tsukigime Hime

Kingyo no Hako
Shiseikatsu
Fukushu
Sake to Geko
Metro

MEH
Mirrorball

We'll see where this goes, but overall I'm VERY happy.

Migoto 2007.09.24 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justriiingo (Post 16863)
It says so on the English version of hmv.co.jp.

Oh, there it is! Thanks! :)

Tsuchiya 2007.09.24 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madpawn (Post 16866)
Initial impressions:

LOVE
Ramp
OSCA
Kuronekodo
Bo Tomin
SSAW
Tsukigime Hime

Kingyo no Hako
Shiseikatsu
Fukushu
Sake to Geko
Metro

MEH
Mirrorball

We'll see where this goes, but overall I'm VERY happy.

LOVE
Ramp
OSCA
Kuronekodo
Bo Tomin
SSAW
Tsukigime Hime
Kingyo no Hako
Shiseikatsu
Sake to Geko
Killer Tune
Metro

MEH (though I like how they got rid of the '60s psych feel)
Mirrorball

DISLIKE
Fukushu

Will report later with more in-depth thoughts.

Tokyo Jihad 2007.09.24 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsuchiya (Post 16869)
DISLIKE
Fukushu

Surprise surprise

Op2 2007.09.24 10:43 AM

Izawa's vocals are awesome on Boutomin; I am really loving the vocal threesome there. Sake to Geko's piano is overly dramatic - it's such a gimmick - and I fall for it everytime. Kameda's track, Shiseikatsu, is so pretty, almost girl pop (Ai Otsuka-like) that only a 40 year old closeted gay man could produce. Tsukigime-hime will end up being a fan favorite, I think. Now, instead of shouting "TSUKIMAKE!" at concerts, the crowd might end up yelling "TSUKIHIME!"

There is so much to explore and dive into with this album. I couldn't congratulate Tokyo Jihen enough. Every track has something respectable about it, however, I have yet to find something in SSAW... We shall see.

Oh, and the last minute of Kronekodow + the ending segment is glorious.
It sounds like gypsy catching music. My new life goal is to sacrifice an animal to that track.

Tokyo Jihad 2007.09.24 11:24 AM

So there are times when one is conflicted. There’s the fan, and there’s the critic; for me at least. The fan in me wants to bury the songs in the recycle bin and just forget there was a “third album” (just as I did with the Spice Girls back when.) Because the critic I me didn’t even find the prospect of a review of this album fun anymore, I was consigned to just remain mum. Howevva, I think there’s some interesting/strange thoughts I wasn’t expecting (apart from the “EVERYTHING IS LOOOVE” kinda stuff from the usual suspects.) So I dunno, maybe I should throw my thoughts out there anyway. Even if “shit-flipping” will ensue as usual.

Lets start with generalities: good choruses: they don’t exist here. A “horrible” album: it’s not – but as I say that, I have to address from the fan in me. This album, is not anything I want to listen to. If this were some other band, I would not have even given two thoughts about it’s existence. But because I thought greatness would ensue one upon a time, I feel obligated. I think this is a pseudo-intellectual wannabe pop album with no melodies per se or even “hooks” necessarily. It’s a shame Jihen seems to pretend they make more than “just fuckin’ music.” Shiina solo used to carry herself off like she was just making songs, and hopefully trying to make some good ones here and there. But now it’s like “oh, lets pretend we can raise IQs by music” or lets make pop classy! Or whatever – but of course, whats worse is when people actually buy into it. It should just be fuckin music, you cant go out actively trying to do anything intra-personal with it. If its good enough, it will have a mind of it’s own.

Now before I get into the music lemme continue to address the other sticking point of the album: Izawa and Uki wrote it. It was a stupid idea. There are some decent-good tracks here. Theres also some shit. Maybe they coulda taken the novel approach and only done the good ones, and maybe wait for some input from their front-woman with the proven track record. Just having more than one song each on the album would validate them as “song-writing members” – thrusting out a full album of their stuff is silly, and not a good idea (if “real” critics, or “real” fans, dislike it and and heat – who is going to feel it but the newbs?)

Anyway, applying the idea that I gave earlier that there are no good choruses here, lets sift through the album right quick. Mirrorball I think “works” – but I actually think sounded better in JCHI. This version sounds “shoe horned” to the new take, whereas it sounded more natural before. Kingyo and Ramp are largely inoffensive, tho not particularly noteworthy in the realm of pop. Shiseikatsu is Superstar watered down, as I said earlier. The bridge solo into the last chorus is a straight copy-paste from Superstar.

I love Fukushuu. Well, if it were on Kyoiku (or ZCS) it would have been love, here it seems like that one “hard rock” sounding song that Puffy puts on every other album (which, I still tend to like.) But it’s hard to take it so seriously. Whats great about Fukushuu: there’s no shoe-horned keyboard! It didn’t belong, and its not there. Big fucking ups to the band. It always bugged me how they always forced all 4 instruments in every song when they may not have always been applicable. Also, it somewhat goes back on my pseudo-intellectual rant earlier. This song sounds like it totally has no aim other than to just be a song, and that rawks. “Fukushuu is just so non-TJish...” – that’s a very welcome change. I also love the change in presence around 3:30, I think its really cool, sounds Radiohead-ish (Just or Electioneering? Cant think of the exact song.) I know it’s the “dumb rock song” and predictable that Jihad comes in to defend it. But what can I do? =P

Of course the “welcome” change doesn’t last because we plunge head first into two of the stupidest songs ever: Boutomin and SSAW (Kuronekodow is included in this league too.)
Howevva, Tsukigime-hime, despite my calling it “the most obvious Uki song” I think its actually kinda good. However I hate the stupid “kazoo backing vocals” here (as in Kingyo too I think it was.) But it’s a pretty decent song…even if Izawa tries to sabotage it with some Addam’s Family sounding keys. And afterwhich, the album isn’t very stand out. Someone should get jail time for Shiina’s singing in Killer Tune. I can’t possibly say it enough. Horrendous. Sake I think is too long and choppy, but it’s not a sin to like. Meh-tro?

Now I think I’m totally stuck. I’m sure I said some things above that are likely to get some hip-hopping perturbed. Its not music I choose to listen to, but a band I do/did. I dunno, imagine 50 cent releasing a country album or a folk album. It would be hard I think to review coming from his background. Now its not like theres not a discrepancy THAT big between DO/Adult and what we get in Variety, but its more “overt” pop and the “ideals” here are different than what they were in Kyoiku/Adult. Now, when I say “I wouldn’t choose to listen to” I almost specifically mean “this album.” Cuz I know pop music, however I don’t think theres any great pop songs here. Definitely some decent, maybe some good. But decent songs does not a good album make. Thems the breaks. I never intended to go to Shiina for pop songs, and this album enforces that – even if she didn’t write blah blah. It’s hard to judge this album without Dynamite Out’s “Superstar” gnawing at me, but I’m being as “well, pretend this is a totally different, unrelated band” as I can. I don’t think many of these songs are particularly strong, or necessarily above “middling.” Remembering you can trace this album back to Honnou and Tsumi to Batsu..only hurts more.

I give it a “Goraku” out of a “Innocence Moratorium”

3 top tracks: Fukushuu, Shiseikatsu, Pinnochio (lolz, ok. Tsukigime-hime)
/a-ccentuate the positive
5: the number of times I listened to Fukushuu while writing this review

madpawn 2007.09.24 12:01 PM

What I like about the album are the shifts--not just the shifts in mood/genre between the songs, but within the songs. Uki's songs, in any case, veer off into some bizarre and mostly welcome directions with some regularity, and that regularity prevents it from feeling chaotic. Right?

In any case, this feature of the record reminds me of "Take Me Out" by Franz Ferdinand—that song is basically four or five perfectly good choruses of pop songs stitched together. Now, I don't like that song, but it works here--I don't have the same complaint that there are no choruses, but rather I see it that almost everything is a chorus. Maybe I'm just an optimist.

The shifts in Ringo's vocal style are what alarm me the most. I find sometimes the song is sometimes brought down a bit by her singing. What I love about her vocals are when they get ugly. That's what keeps me coming back. I love her raggedness in HF's Gamble, her growls in OSCA, anytime she gets shrill and weasely—it's delightful. Which is why I think Killer Tune is certainly her best vocal performance on the album. You know how a sadistic Ike Turner wrote songs for Tina that were consistently just above her comfortable vocal range? It's kind of like that. Ringo is straining to get those notes, squealing almost, and it's just painful enough to make what would just be a catchy, bit-too-pretty ballad-in-the-rain into something interesting—desperate, almost, and filled with tangible, piercing emotion. The uglier the better.

Which is why I dislike her performances on Mirrorball (rote and over-edited), Shiseikatsu (smoooth until the end when it's drowned in schmaltz anyway), Fukushu (I would actually prefer this song with another singer... never felt that way about SR/TJ before, but there you go). Tsukigime Hime--when it gets interesting, her voice is mixed DOWN and processed so you can't really hear her or ascertain her vocal timbre. WTF?

Listening to it again, her performance on Sake to Geto is brilliant. The shift to an almost dour Christmas mass song to a gothic rock-opera voice is done really, really, well. KU(roneko)DOS.

SSAW is something special because it's the first time I've really heard her effectively blend her voice into someone else's. It's not like in Kono Yo No Kagiri where Junpei's voice either drowns her out or doesn't exactly jive. Yes, she smooths her voice out in this song, but the two voices together are really nice and don't sound as if they would be better on their own, a common complaint I have with her duets.

More thoughts later, but as a singer I had to get this stuff out of the way first. :P

cjhobbies00 2007.09.24 12:23 PM

I don't really have time for a full review right now, but I'm on a whole pretty dissappointed with this album. There are some good ideas here, but Shiina's input would've completely salvaged this album.
Mirrorball is listenable on this album while I thought JCHI mirrorball was unbearable.
The group vocal works are actually the highlights of the album.

Summary- some decent B-sides on this album, but there is nothing here that I would consider "shiina" good. I'm just praying for a Shiina solo album right now.
I might not even break Variety out of its plastic wrapping when it arrives.

fluffiethesock 2007.09.24 12:31 PM

I need to listen to the album a lot more before I say anything. At this point my general reaction is positive, though just about every song (besides OSCA) sounds like they could have done something to improve it. However, I wasn't a big fan of Adult when I heard it the first ten or so times, and it's now my favorite Ringo album. So we'll see.

Actually, I'll say this. Right now I'd rank it as my least favorite TJ album, though that's not saying it's bad.

cjhobbies00 2007.09.24 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock (Post 16875)
Right now I'd rank it as my least favorite TJ album

Ditto, almost no redeeming qualities, except for the possibility that Shiina was saving all her shit for a return to solo work.

HEDOfloe 2007.09.24 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjhobbies00 (Post 16874)
I don't really have time for a full review right now, but I'm on a whole pretty dissappointed with this album. There are some good ideas here, but Shiina's input would've completely salvaged this album.

I have not heard the album yet, but from hearing the previews I definitely agree with this. They sounded very interesting and I'm just assuming based on my own preconceptions and other's opinions that it would have been way better if she worked more on the songs. From everyone's descriptions of the songs, it seems like Uki and Izawa were trying to repeat some of what we saw in ADULT with less repeating choruses or just less emphasis on choruses. But, as cjhobbies said, Ringo would have made the album great. Now, from those who liked the album and my personal tastes, I think I will like this album a lot, but I'm pretty sure I won't like it as much as ADULT or Kyouiku. Also, a few people seemed to have confirmed my worst fear that OSCA and Killer Tune would be the best songs on the album. I loved both of those songs, but I will be slightly disappointed if I don't like anything on the album just as much or more than those two songs since I have already heard them so many times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by madpawn (Post 16873)
The shifts in Ringo's vocal style are what alarm me the most. I find sometimes the song is sometimes brought down a bit by her singing. What I love about her vocals are when they get ugly. That's what keeps me coming back. I love her raggedness in HF's Gamble, her growls in OSCA, anytime she gets shrill and weasely—it's delightful. Which is why I think Killer Tune is certainly her best vocal performance on the album. You know how a sadistic Ike Turner wrote songs for Tina that were consistently just above her comfortable vocal range? It's kind of like that. Ringo is straining to get those notes, squealing almost, and it's just painful enough to make what would just be a catchy, bit-too-pretty ballad-in-the-rain into something interesting—desperate, almost, and filled with tangible, piercing emotion. The uglier the better.

That is what I loved about HF and OSCA too!! I think it also works perfectly in killer tune as well. I don't know why Jihad says they are horrendous because they are annoying to him. You could just say they are annoying to you.

EDIT:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad (Post 16872)
I think this is a pseudo-intellectual wannabe pop album with no melodies per se or even “hooks” necessarily. It’s a shame Jihen seems to pretend they make more than “just fuckin’ music.” Shiina solo used to carry herself off like she was just making songs, and hopefully trying to make some good ones here and there. But now it’s like “oh, lets pretend we can raise IQs by music” or lets make pop classy! Or whatever – but of course, whats worse is when people actually buy into it. It should just be fuckin music, you cant go out actively trying to do anything intra-personal with it. If its good enough, it will have a mind of it’s own.

Do you feel the same way about Bjork? She makes some of the craziest music I've heard and it's rarely catchy and its not "just fuckin' music". I still think its great regardless.

ShadyNook 2007.09.24 02:57 PM

Ramp = Like
Mirrorballs = the JCHI version arrangement is better to me by comparison. This sounds like Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Kingyou = Great
Shiseikatsu = like. Kameda's style is easy to identify, isn't it?
OSCA = I like it
Kronekodow = like it. It sounds like Appa. Only Izawa writes this circus type of music.
Fukushuu = even though Uki wrote it, it sounds like something from Ringo's grunge days pre-Shouso Strip, but without a strong hook. I skip this track every time.
Boutomin = The riff is a ripoff, oh wait...a "tribute" from George Benson's "On Broadway." I like hearing the band singing together though. They should do this alot more in the future.
SSAW = Love it. I really want to see Izawa and Ringo do this one live.
Tsukigime Hime = Cool song. The verse melody and guitar is Kurt Cobain, the chorus melody and keys are The Doors. I like this one because of the weird contrast like in OSCA.
Sake to Geko = Its starts sober, then gets drunk, then sober, then drunk.
Killer Tune = good
Metro = This is the first TJ album to end with a chill-out song instead of a giant climax like Yume no Ato or Tegami. I guess this is where the credits for thier tv show starts rolling? This is the only other Uki song besides OSCA that I like.

Variety is a very good album full of goraku [LOL]. But now that Ringo did her big favor for the new guys, I want her songs to dominate the track list again. Pleeeeez! Out of the three albums the band has, I put this one at #3 with Adult at #1.

The album title is misleading. The variety of music here is no different from anything SR or TJ have done in the past. She/they have been doing variety from day one.

Tokyo Jihad 2007.09.24 03:11 PM

Bjork, im not so familiar with, but to me she changes and does different on top of different things because thats just her schtick. I don't think her aim is as comparable to Jihen approaching Variety (KZK maybe, and even then you can criticize KZK for it more than anything.)

Not to steal Maou's thunder, but Variety has less variety than any other major release by Shiina.

imkookoo 2007.09.24 03:13 PM

Variety is an okay album for me. My favorite track is by far Fukushuu. I like the new Mirrorball over the JCHI version, and there are a couple nice tracks here and there (don't remember the titles), but for the most part, the melodies are kind of forgettable. :S

Maou 2007.09.24 03:39 PM

I'm going to wait a few more plays until I do a full-on song-by-song review. That said, my first impression is that I don't care for the album. There's some good (Ramp, Killer Tune, Fukushuu), some bad (Mirrorball, OSCA) and some ugly (Kronekodow, Boutomin, Ssaw). Let me tell you, I have no idea how such horrible songs like Boutomin and Ssaw made it on the album. These are bad, bad songs even worse than Bokoku Joushou, Toumei Ningen and BB. Queen combined. I'd be embarrassed to put these songs on my record.

Where is the Variety? This place hyped up the fact that this album would be wild and varied in style yet it's the least varied album Shiina Ringo has been involved in. Even less than the "straight rock" Muzai debut. Variety is filled with '70's throwbacks that go nowhere. No catchy hooks. No good build ups. They're almost amateur in structure.

EmilScherbe 2007.09.24 04:10 PM

My first impression on this internet leaked Variety album is that
when SR withdrew from compostion, somehow,
their music turns most accessible.
I expected opposite from especially Ukigumo's songs.

justriiingo 2007.09.24 05:11 PM

Any enlightened Hirama-converts yet?

I'm gonna wait a few more days for this album to settle in before I post a review. Initial impressions: I like goldfish, sake to geko and metro.

cjhobbies00 2007.09.24 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justriiingo (Post 16887)
Any enlightened Hirama-converts yet?

I'm gonna wait a few more days for this album to settle in before I post a review. Initial impressions: I like goldfish, sake to geko and metro.

As much as I respect Uki for his guitar work, his presence has now become detrimental to the band. If he writes ONE song on the next album i'll put out a contract for his life.

Adult proved that Tokyo jihen didn't need Hirama. Variety proves that Uki was the wrong choice for a replacement. BRING BACK HIRAMA! He's probably desperate for a job.

EXtra note to Maou- Why do you hate all the songs I kinda enjoy? First Toumei Ningen, now Boutomin. I don't understand japanese so i would understand your hate if the lyrics translated to something really stupid. I hate terrible lyrics...

Tokyo Jihad 2007.09.24 06:30 PM

...and we're desperate for Hirama!
Tho honestly, Izawas keys bugged me way more often than Uki's guitar this time around, sad truth be told ='(

(would still take Izawa over Uki)

Maou 2007.09.24 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjhobbies00 (Post 16891)
EXtra note to Maou- Why do you hate all the songs I kinda enjoy? First Toumei Ningen, now Boutomin. I don't understand japanese so i would understand your hate if the lyrics translated to something really stupid. I hate terrible lyrics...

I just have a Tsuchiya/Jihad relationship with you. Only we play nice. :P

The guys singing in Boutomin drove me nuts. They're even worse than Hirama when it comes to singing. I think my hate of Toumei Ningen comes from how great it was during DO. The Adult version is almost a completely different song.

justriiingo 2007.09.24 06:47 PM

Maybe we should all write her letters begging her to kick Ukigumo out and start writing songs again. I mean, she responded to the call of fans asking her not to write songs.

HEDOfloe 2007.09.24 06:50 PM

I guess since you guys hate it so much I'm going to love it since it's the same people that did not like ADULT, or at least as much as I did. Good for me! ^__^

EDIT: Oh and I can not be trusted because I like OSCA. Don't trust me ^_~

Maou 2007.09.24 07:32 PM

I would just like to take this space to commend Ukigumo on making a very good song in Metro. It doesn't end well, but the rest of the song is very well done. I wish the rest of his songs were this good.

kuro_neko 2007.09.24 09:09 PM

I'm waiting for the hard copy, but my attitude toward TJ is that, well, it just *is*. Ringo created it so she could fuck around and make music and not get caught up in what the means, Kyoiku, Adult, and Variety as well, they all go along with this. Variety was more Uki and Izawa, but who is to say that it wasn't a group project. Ringo wrote the lyrics for most of the album so she played a large role in the creation and I'm sure the entire band as a whole worked together to achieve the style presented in this phase. What I'm getting at is that I don't think that Jihen is trying to necessarily be or do anything other than continue to make music as much as it confuses and enrages some.

And for everyone who is crying that they want a Ringo solo album, go listen to HF again. Maybe your better off sticking with Jihen.

cjhobbies00 2007.09.24 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuro_neko (Post 16900)
I'm waiting for the hard copy, but my attitude toward TJ is that, well, it just *is*. Ringo created it so she could fuck around and make music and not get caught up in what the means, Kyoiku, Adult, and Variety as well, they all go along with this. Variety was more Uki and Izawa, but who is to say that it wasn't a group project. Ringo wrote the lyrics for most of the album so she played a large role in the creation and I'm sure the entire band as a whole worked together to achieve the style presented in this phase. What I'm getting at is that I don't think that Jihen is trying to necessarily be or do anything other than continue to make music as much as it confuses and enrages some.

And for everyone who is crying that they want a Ringo solo album, go listen to HF again. Maybe your better off sticking with Jihen.

Yes, it's undeniable that it's a group projet. The problem is that it's evident that shiina had no part in the creation of the music. There are recycled themes throughout but it's not used in the usually ringoish ways. Most of the songs lack direction and 'hooks', some of he songs almost remind of the medieval gregorian chants; completely aimless.

Damn straight i'm crying for a Ringo solo album, i'm fucking pleading, on my knees! Who wouldn't kill for a true and new Solo album?

Jesse 2007.09.25 01:20 AM

My second impressions, after 3 or 4 listens (I'm likely to have another impression after 10 plays or so).

(Guide: Love, Like, Meh, Dislike)

Ramp -Has grown on me. The fuzzy sounds in the verses are annoying. Verses have a good melody, chorus isn't bad. One of the better songs.

Mirrorball - I prefer this to the JCHI version still. It just sounds like it's trying to fit in with the rest of the album. There's something in the verses that sounds like Sigma to me. It annoys me.

Kingyo no Hako - I lurrrve the music. The verses are great. Chorus' not so great. The guitar solo is the evilest thing on the album, it wrecks the whole song, being why it only gets a 'Meh'. I have dreams about mutilating the mp3 to get rid of it.

Shiseikatsu - Very boring. Don't even like the verses. The end is a direct rip off of Superstar.

OSCA - The best... by far.

Kronekodow - I don't mind it that much. I like the high pitched bits, and the piano. I was going to give it a Like, but it just doesn't give me the urge to listen to it again.

Fukushuu - Sounds great at the start. Finally some variety. But then comes the evil, also known as the chorus. Seriously, does this album have any decent choruses?

Boutomin - It's quite different. I don't mind it too much. One of the better choruses. Otherwise pretty boring.

SSAW - Hello, variety, where are you? This sounds the same as the last one. Except more boring.

Tsukigime-hime - Oooh sounds so good at the start. Love the verses muchly. Again the enter the boring chorus. It's growing on me. And the verses make up for it. Still has nothing on anything from Adult.

Sake to Geko - Now this is what I'm talking about. This is probably the only song with potential to achieve the colour blue. Love the singing. Love the change in the song. It's just something sounds very familiar in the piano around 1:00. It doesn't sound entirely new to me, and it'd be one of the not so good songs if it were on Adult.

Killer Tune - Again with the great verses and sucky choruses. This song goes no where. The first chorus sounds like what the last chorus should sound like. It's just grating. And it's much worse live.

Metro - It's like Karada went and got a little better. Which makes it no where near good.

So that makes... 1 Loves, 2 Likes, 6 Mehs and 4 Dislikes. I was actually expecting more to end up in Dislike. So I guess I don't really mind the album. It's just that it's mostly meh.

Theres no hooks, hardly anything is very catchy, a lot of it sounds recycled. The upside is that I do like the style and a lot of the music is great. Sadly the good verses do not make up for crap choruses. I'm glad I have the OSCA single, because it's really the only song I want.

Jesse 2007.09.25 02:47 AM

...I'm just listening to Adult... Freaking hell, does Variety suck. Considering how many times I've listened to Adult (so I'm pretty over it) and it's still 1000000x more enjoyable, in every way and form. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Edit: Sorry to go on and on about this, but I just got to Tegami.. and f u c k. (I think that speaks for itself)

Pancio 2007.09.25 03:16 AM

It's the turn for my track by track review.... I have mixed opinions actually.
I find most of the track aimless, like they're a bunch of instruments put toghether randomly- despite the fairly good playing.

Ramp- It's a nice opening to the album. This is one of the few tracks (like OSCA and Killer Tune) which has a real "structure". SAVED

Mirrorball- The JCHI version was boring. This is unbearable. Nonsense melody going up and down... Ukigumo song writing ability sucks. But we all knew that :D FIRED

Kingyo no Hako - Carina. It's the italian for "cute". That's what popped out in my mind listening to it the first time. It seems like Sounan + Blackout gone awry though. GRASPING

Shiseikatsu - This is supposed to be "old ringo" style. I noticed some resemblance to Superstar too. It's an average song, not too good no too bad. Probably it will grow on me. Better an entire album of "superstar" clones that songs like "Mirrorball". So: SAVED

OSCA - When I first listened to this song I thought "finally Ringo has gone back to some cool rock" and that's still my opinion. Ukigumo was on drugs (in a positive sense) when he wrote this. SAVED

Kronekodow - I was expecting something great by Kameda+Ringo's trademark BUT, my excpectations were totally wrong. Another "like a drop in the sea" song. Still is fairly nice and fun to hear. GRASPING

Fukushuu - Ringo's perfect english and "western" sound of this made me crumble. This is not any fun. I'M SCARED. GRASPING

Boutomin- I'll pretend this wasn't on the album. Why PINOCCHIO was a B side?? ANSWER ME LORD!!! FIRED

SSAW - I'm pretending this wasn't on the album too. Am I repeating myself? Kaban no Nakami in this place would suit well. FIRED

Tsukigime-hime - Some nice feeling about this song. Mabye the most ringo-ish on the album. Tokyo no Onna's sequel! :) SAVED

Sake to Geko - were they trying to rip off Yume no Ato? No doubt they weren't any succesfull at it. like I said before it's better having an entire album of this than shit like SSAW and Boutomin. SAVED

Killer Tune - A structure finally!!!! Verses and recognizable chorus. This is OK. SAVED

Metro - Karada's better. That says it all :D FIRED

This album is not completely satisfactory. Put the B sides in the place of the tracks i fired and it becomes a 6/10. My final verdict is 5/10

kanzaki 2007.09.25 03:20 AM

Yes! I totally agree that Mirrorball has some elements of Sigma (and maybe Benkai Debussy) in it, which I totally dig. I couldn't stand the JHCI version, this is more bearable. In fact, it's really growing on me.

I consider Kingyo no Hako to be Variety's equivalent of Sounan or Blackout. I like the structure where the beat and style is constantly changing. However, yes, the guitar solo really just spoils an otherwise kick-ass song. I like the unorthodox ending though...

Shiseikatsu intro really reminds me of the short bit of Marusadi they played in Dynamite In, with the crunchy guitar by Hirama. The rest of the song is so so.

Kronekodow is interesting. It makes me glad knowing that she still has some shock value in her. Every time the song finishes I always picture her walking off stage, smiling to herself while the crowd sits in silence, still trying to process wtf just happened just now...

The other songs left no lasting impressions in me...

golem09 2007.09.25 03:20 AM

I listened to it about 6-7 times now, and I changed some thoughts:

Mirrorball can be entertaining if it pops up, and if I miss the first 1-2 minutes of the song. I like OSCA more than I remembered. Kronekodow is not that bad, but I can not listen to the last part with the increased tempo. I still have to skip Fukushuu and Boutomin, these are some really bad songs. Tsukigime hime is not as abd as these two, but it's still on my skip list.
The end of the album is the best part, because I get Sake to Geko, Killer Tune, Metro and Ramp in a row. If I had given this album a x/10 rating previously, I would raise it by 1 comparing to my first listening review.
Still a meh album.

Jesse 2007.09.25 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanzaki (Post 16905)
Yes! I totally agree that Mirrorball has some elements of Sigma (and maybe Benkai Debussy) in it, which I totally dig. I couldn't stand the JHCI version, this is more bearable. In fact, it's really growing on me.

It's the similarities to Sigma that I hate about the song. It's not original.

Tokyo Jihad 2007.09.25 05:37 AM

Shiseikatsu is proof that (with Blackout before) the band still has to rehash Kyoiku-era songs.

When I grow up, I'm going to marry Choobies:wub:

madpawn 2007.09.25 06:47 AM

I've realized that maybe the only reason I like Bo Tomin is because it sounds like something off a Katamari Damacy soundtrack. Is that a good thing? Hrm.

In any case, this album is very good, though not as good as I expected with OSCA and Killer Tune which I adore (particularly the former). Hm. A lot of the songs just aren't that strong, for whatever reason. I tend to love the choruses, and the verses, but not together.

This album is like a fashion show where all the models are wearing dresses over pants.

ShadyNook 2007.09.25 08:39 AM

She's keeping the gold to herself. I know she has a bunch of new songs that she's keeping tucked away. To include just a few of those songs for a next TJ album would mean there would be alot of songs we wouldn't get to hear, so maybe Ringo really is prepping for a true solo album this time so she doesn't end up with another remix/self cover album like HF?

Now we wait another year for another album. won't that be fun. :)

kuro_neko 2007.09.25 08:44 AM

just to let everyone know,

I got my copy of Variety this morning. At the moment I'm in Boston so I was really pleasantly surprised. Although the shipment notice from cdjapan was e-mailed this morning, they mailed their copies out starting on early sunday morning it seems so it took about 3 days in the mail to get here for the release day (its technically still release day in Japan, about two or three days earlier than cdjapan normally arrives)

I LOVE CDJAPAN

edit: HOLY CRAP THAT NOTICE IS FROM MONDAY, they tried to deliver it *YESTERDAY*

anyone who ordered from cdjapan, keep your eyes peeled, XD

kuro_neko 2007.09.25 10:21 AM

okay, so here is my impressions of the packaging, fresh from opening:

in the picture everyone has seen the actual shot of the cover and back end are a slip over that fits over the cd casing. this is a really nice touch because when you slip it off you are assaulted by a cover or pure hot pink and black checkboard, continuing to the spine and inside both the back of the booklet, the cd, and the back of the back cover the same, meaning complete and total pink and black (I really like this)

the booklet is rather nice, the photography is really cool although I suspect some of you would rather put up with pretty pictures of ringo than what your going to get, which is a continuation of the pictures we have seen, like someone is snapping shots of a tv playing a variety program on which the band is quest. There is an opening shot or blurry ringo, a shot of Ringo holding up a sign reading "Sheena", one of kameda holding up "soumusume" (dreaming daughter), then one at the end of izawa holding up a sign and making a hilarious face while ringo is running off screen (his sign reads heian-peace). The opening shot is the one we have all seen of them watching TV.

the actual lyrics are presented with color icons same style as in the singles, some of which are quite elaborate and really nice.

and to put the RAMP issue to rest that song has a highway sign for its icon starting a theme of getting on a Tokyo Jihen roadway of some sort (ending at the back booklet)

anyways, its rather pretty packaging and in this case the limited features will probably just be reduced to the slipcase being printed on the cover and back with no zig zag spine (meaning if you like the pink and black, that is pretty much what your getting with limited)

music impressions to follow

edit: Gracenote read mine as either Goraku (in kanji) or "An amusement" in english, so I'm guessing there is an official english track list prepared out there, although it isn't included in the packaging like with Adult. If anyone opts for the English, be sure to let us know!

cjhobbies00 2007.09.25 10:47 AM

I've developed a different take on the new album. instead of burning it when it arrives, i'll keep a place for it next to all my other Shiina cds. Variety just made me realize how consistently good all of shiina's output is. HF in comparison seems flawless, I mean how many songs in HF would you actually skip over once you start it? I will, however, delete most of the Variety tracks from my iPod (only shiina song i've deleted b4 was sigma...)

kuro_neko 2007.09.25 11:39 AM

okay, time for my impressions, everyone else had their turn and to my knowledge I'm the first one to post with an actual listen from the real cd, so as far as I'm concerned none of the previous opinions mattered, XDXD, since you STOLE THEIR MUSIC AND ARE THUS NOT THEIR FANS :hmph:

okay, seriously though, let me say that the real joy in this album comes from the lyrics. Ringo, relegated to lyrics, really spent a lot of time on this album and the songs she wrote really do shine through. A lot of the emotional impact is in the lyrics and if you can't understand them, that obviously takes away. I'm not claiming to be fluent in Japanese by any means, so the fact that they still reached me through the language barrier says something. Shiseikatsu almost made me cry, the lyrics to that song are so beautiful. Kingyo no Hako is so badass, just the visual imagery it instills is so classic Ringo I can't help but laugh when you guys come here posting reviews about how crappy this music is and how you want another solo Ringo album...well, here your getting it, it is in the lyrics, so I guess that means you guys got to wait a bit until translations get posted by frecklegirl. (on a side note, knh was actually izawa, but that doesn't matter, its still badass and I understand why it got chosen for a really creepy movie, XD)

anyways, on to the album. I've only had one listen through, just finished.

ramp- have heard this a few times thanks to the blog. It is a nice little song, don't feel one way or another about it quite yet but it works very well as the opener to the album and I think in time it will grow on me.

mirrorball- well, minus the vocal work, here is what we have, this is pretty much the version I heard at Countdown Japan, with the elevated chorus. I'm not sure how I feel about this song, I was never initially drawn to it to begin with, but I think the reworked version certainly shows it off more than the JCHI and I wonder who is responsible for that.

kingyo no hako-okay, this song, seriously, lets talk about how awesome these lyrics off. fresh off of sakuran with all that goldfish imagery, here we have the antithesis of that. They were written by Izawa but are so classically old Ringo it isn't funny. They seriously could fit on Shouso Strip with the themes of her disgust for those dependent and insipid goldfish. It even ends with death, dun dun dun.

shiseikatsu- I heard Superstar comparisons and while I understand why Jihad and others would say that in the sense that they have similar sonic landscapes (no one argues that Tsumi to Batsu and Shuukyou have the same chord progressions EVER, in fact, they still are BOTH considered by many some of her best work, despite being pretty much the same song) but that is about it. The lyrics are completely different and this one almost brought tears to my eyes. The last line was particularly moving.

I'm going to skip OSCA and Killer Tune since they are old news by now

kuronekodou- this song is seriously badass and I don't get why anyone couldn't like it. just fun and out there, reminds me of Gogol Bordello

fukushuu- finally jihen actually does some more traditional straight up alt rock. some people have said that variety doesn't actually have as much variety as previous albums and the fact that you have a power ballad, a romanian gypsy dance song on crack, THIS, and then a kind of dirty ballad makes those statements kinda invalid if you ask me.

boutomin-this song has something dirty about that I can't put my finger on. The lyrics are a bit....not quite sure yet, but with the two guys and ringo on their its a bit like a threesome going on and while it sonically remains probably the least interesting on the album upon first listen, because I personally love any ocassion to think about izawa undressed there is an appeal there for me, XD

SS/AW- this song elicited another almost sob moment because it is a straight foward kind of romantic song about a guy and girl going through the 4 seasons and ending with a kind of will we be able to meet again? moment, very very cute

tsukigime-hime-lyrically this song was way too complex for me to piece together while listening to, but sonically it was very impressive.

sake to geko- this is an amazing song because in japanese traditional music sake plays a large role and I can think of many songs by traditional musicians who sing songs about drinking and start to act more and more drunk as they progress, such as Sayuri Ichikawa. Izawa taking this genre and updating it to modern tipsy rock is pretty damn cool if you ask me

metro- cute but the lyrics kind of make me want to throw up, no wonder why ringo said it kind of makes her sick when she thinks about it. it literally is just about a guy and a girl on a date and the guy thinking about the girl etc.

final impression:

more expansive than either kyouiku or adult, I think the tracks are over the place, which is what I personally like in my music. for most people that means a hate/love relationship. I personally liked OSCA and Killer Tune so I knew that was a good sign to begin with. I really think there is some great stuff on this album and rather frankly the reaction it is getting here doesn't surprise me in the least. I know a lot of people are going to either ignore me or argue with me, but that is just my opinion.

Op2 2007.09.25 01:09 PM

Like the previous Tokyo Jihen albums, here are Shiina's obscure English track "titles".

01 - Ramp
02 - Mirror-ball
03 - Box of goldfish
04 - Backstage
05 - O.S.C.A.
06 - My way
07 - Vengeance
08 - The citizens
09 - ss/aw
10 - Princesse mensuelle
11 - Sake & nondrinker
12 - Killer-tune
13 - Metro

kanzaki 2007.09.25 01:38 PM

SPRING SUMMER AUTUMN WINTER

SSAW!

cjhobbies00 2007.09.25 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanFan (Post 16940)
It wasn't as amazing as I was hoping, but it's still really good anyway. I liked it a lot more than their last two albums (Yeah, I prefer Phase 2, shoot me). Besides the singles, I really liked "RAMP", "Kuronekodou" and "Sake to Geko". Seems like a lot of people aren't liking the non-SR compositions, but I actually like the composition on these more than those found on their first two albums. I actually prefer the band stuff over Shiina Ringo's solo stuff, which I think is overrated as being godly or something.

There were three things I didn't like about the album. First of all, I hate "MIRRORBALL", both the live version and this one. Gross. Secondly, as fun as they are, I didn't like the overuse of the Dobutsu no Mori (Animal Crossing)-esque keyboards. And lastly, having the fast ending for "Kuronekodou" right after "OSCA" seemed like a cheap trick to use. But overall, I was pleased with it.

WOAHHH! hold on now, if I interpreted correctly, you are saying that Variety is the best thing that shiina has ever produced...

Now I usually respect others opinions of music, but GODDAMN!

Tokyo Jihad 2007.09.25 01:54 PM

Super Soakers Under X-ray.

ShadyNook 2007.09.25 02:05 PM

Fukushuu is really the Small Stout Underwater Xylophone.

:-)

edit: am I the space alien here that really likes SSAW?

Just like a tv network, this album really does have some programming for everyone to enjoy---and hate.

HEDOfloe 2007.09.25 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuro_neko (Post 16916)
just to let everyone know,

I got my copy of Variety this morning. At the moment I'm in Boston so I was really pleasantly surprised. Although the shipment notice from cdjapan was e-mailed this morning, they mailed their copies out starting on early sunday morning it seems so it took about 3 days in the mail to get here for the release day (its technically still release day in Japan, about two or three days earlier than cdjapan normally arrives)

I LOVE CDJAPAN

edit: HOLY CRAP THAT NOTICE IS FROM MONDAY, they tried to deliver it *YESTERDAY*

anyone who ordered from cdjapan, keep your eyes peeled, XD

OMG I love CDJAPAN TOO!!! I also got my copy of Variety today!! I addressed it to my job so when I got to work today in the afternoon, they had it there waiting for me! On the sticker in the front of the box it said that it was mailed on saturday and arrived in the U.S. yesterday. It did say to "deliver by 3:00 pm today" so I don't know why I did not get it yesterday. But yea, CDJapan had it listed as "in shipping process" since saturday and I also got an email dated today 4 am, that said it was shipped so I was expecting it on wednesday or thursday. So basically, we got it earlier than most japanese people ^__^. First impressions (of earth) coming soon.

golem09 2007.09.25 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuro_neko (Post 16939)
I can't help but laugh when you guys come here posting reviews about how crappy this music is and how you want another solo Ringo album...well, here your getting it, it is in the lyrics

Hmm, I never cared for Lyrics, and this won't change with thise release...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadyNook (Post 16946)
edit: am I the space alien here that really likes SSAW?

No, I'm with you.

Mad_Mac 2007.09.25 03:59 PM

First Press Release Pic

First Press Release Pic Anyone???

I try to order from CDJAPAN because of the 1st press release assurance. But they ask me a lot of requirement from my credit card like recent bill, and copy of it since i use my friends card. Since i don't one to give a lot of problem for friend after using his card and all. I canceled it, and order it from HMV.

Until know it still in order process, not in the shipment yet, and I'm not sure i will get the 1st press release or Not.

SO FREAKING FRUSTATING

ps: And i have to resist the internet leak.ARRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

HEDOfloe 2007.09.25 04:32 PM

"EVERYTHING IS LOOOVE"!!!!!

Jeeezzzzzz I really loved this album after my first listen. It was mind-bottling :whacko:. It's a lot better than I expected. I guess all the pessimism here had gotten to me just a bit. The band's sound is so unique and here it is put even more on display. I really agree with the band calling it a "master piece" because as frenetic and all over the place as the instruments sound, I think they found a way to really put it together to fit nicely. I only heard it once so far so I'm not sure where I will rank it amongst the other two albums, but I'm positive that I like it at least just as much as the other two. I'll say more about the specific songs after more listens. It really is an eargasm :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappySlyme (Post 16844)
man oh man! those sample clips from whatever site it was didn't do variety any justice at all

I knew this was going to be the case all along. The songs just sounded so much better in their entirety. I was surprised by one of them that there was a preview for (I did not pay so much attention to the titles) when the part from the preview popped up. It was like a sort of deja vu because the I did not know it was the song from the beginning and when the chorus popped up I was so surprised.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse (Post 16855)
Mirrorball is better than the JCHI version (which I never liked), but it's still meh. Shiseikatsu is a very crappy version of Superstar.

Superstar? Are you serious?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad (Post 16872)
Lets start with generalities: good choruses: they don’t exist here. A “horrible” album: it’s not – but as I say that, I have to address from the fan in me. This album, is not anything I want to listen to. If this were some other band, I would not have even given two thoughts about it’s existence. But because I thought greatness would ensue one upon a time, I feel obligated. I think this is a pseudo-intellectual wannabe pop album with no melodies per se or even “hooks” necessarily. It’s a shame Jihen seems to pretend they make more than “just fuckin’ music.” Shiina solo used to carry herself off like she was just making songs, and hopefully trying to make some good ones here and there. But now it’s like “oh, lets pretend we can raise IQs by music” or lets make pop classy! Or whatever – but of course, whats worse is when people actually buy into it. It should just be fuckin music, you cant go out actively trying to do anything intra-personal with it. If its good enough, it will have a mind of it’s own.

I do not know where you are getting these feelings from. I think this is the most playful album they have made and not intellectual at all. It sounds like they were fucking around a lot more than trying to make you really dive into the music and "learn" something.

I also thought the choruses were very easy to follow along with even the first time listening, unlike OSCA and killer tune which took some getting familiarity with at first (which I guess is why they are such good songs).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad (Post 16881)
Bjork, im not so familiar with, but to me she changes and does different on top of different things because thats just her schtick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadyNook (Post 16880)
The album title is misleading. The variety of music here is no different from anything SR or TJ have done in the past. She/they have been doing variety from day one.

Just as shady said, they have always done a variety of music, I'd say to just compare the first two albums but you do not think they differ too much anyway. How come its Bjork's "schtick" but not TJs if they always made different kinds of music? Bjork is always Bjork even when she tries something new and I think the same goes for TJ. This album, I think, has many new sounds that they have not incorporated into their other music, but I still feel it just sounds like them. If you just had the instrumentals without Ringo's voice, I think you would be able to say it was TJ who played these songs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad (Post 16908)
Shiseikatsu is proof that (with Blackout before) the band still has to rehash Kyoiku-era songs.

For the bajillionth time, how does Blackout sound like Sounan?! They are NOTHING alike. Neither do Shiseikatsu and Superstar. How do you get this comparison? Do you think they have similar bass lines, guitar riffs, lyrics? I do not get this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuro_neko (Post 16926)
in the picture everyone has seen the actual shot of the cover and back end are a slip over that fits over the cd casing. this is a really nice touch because when you slip it off you are assaulted by a cover or pure hot pink and black checkboard, continuing to the spine and inside both the back of the booklet, the cd, and the back of the back cover the same, meaning complete and total pink and black (I really like this)

I was very happy with the packaging as well. I thought it was really cool since the picture for the cover was on that "sock" sleeve that it let the rest of the cd case be in that crazy pink, checkered pattern. Really cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadyNook (Post 16946)
am I the space alien here that really likes SSAW?

I really like this song also.

EDIT: Only in Variety could you hear a song like Fukushuu be followed by Boutomin :D

EDIT 2: It's funny that the icon displayed for Fukushuu in the booklet is a mirrorball getting stabbed :D :D :D. I guess it means that it's not more fun and games like Mirrorball was ^_^

Jesse 2007.09.25 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe (Post 16957)

I wouldn't be serious because? (I'm mainly talking about the end of the song).

Okay, so I don't necessarily think Variety is a bad album. I'm just not liking it at the moment.

Tokyo Jihad 2007.09.25 05:06 PM

lol at "masterpiece"

i think thats all that needs to be said =P

Jesse 2007.09.25 05:21 PM

Oh, I would forever be in debt to anyone who could remove the guitar solo from Kingyo no Hako successfully (like have the two loose ends blend together or something).

Should I be requesting this elsewhere?

HEDOfloe 2007.09.25 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad (Post 16959)
lol at "masterpiece"

i think thats all that needs to be said =P

Good way to dodge my question. Real smoooth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse (Post 16961)
Oh, I would forever be in debt to anyone who could remove the guitar solo from Kingyo no Hako successfully (like have the two loose ends blend together or something).

Should I be requesting this elsewhere?

Dude!!!! I love that part ^_^.

EDIT:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse (Post 16958)
I wouldn't be serious because? (I'm mainly talking about the end of the song).

If you are going to say one part of the song is like a weaker part of another, then you should be specific and not generalize a whole song like that.

Silverrime 2007.09.25 05:46 PM

My CD came in before lunch, so I I've had time to have a few listens.

Songs I dislike:

Mirror Ball - I didn't like it in JCHI and I don't like it now, the chorus is what gets me.
Kronekodow - I get that the album has the whole different styles/scenarios schtick going on, but the cartoony sound goes too far for my taste.
Boutomin and SSAW - Both have some fundemental quality that rubs me the wrong way, they feel like fleshed out versions of elevator music.

Songs I can live with:

Ramp - The song's OK, it just doesn't build up to anything, it just is, and therefore I shall let it lie. I don't get what is manly about though.
Shiseikatsu - I can see some resemblance to Superstar, and I too think Superstar is better, but I don't get all the hate for this song. It's a good enough ballad, I just don't like ballads much. The chorus reminds me of Kom, susser Tod from the Evangelion movie.
OSCA - I initially disliked this song quite a bit, but it grew on me. I got the idea in my head that heavier guitar played similarly to it's current style would have made for a contrast that would have improved the song, oh well.
Fukushu - This, like Kronekodow, seems to me like an entry forced too much into the niche it's supposed to have in the album. However, it's played well and I happen to be biased towards this particular sound.
Sake to Geko - See Ramp.

Songs I like:

Kingyo no Hako - This barely made my 'like' list. I enjoyed the guitar, but the organ just sounded out of place.
Killer Tune - Another one I was on the fence about for a bit, this one because of Ringo's singing in the chorus. In the end I found that it doesn't really bother me that much unless I'm sitting just listening, giving the song undivided attention. I do like how the music flows, despite little guitar solo.
Tsukigime-hime - I'm comfortable with calling this the Sounan of this album. All of the instruments seem to be in their sweet spot and the song sort of adds more layers as it progresses. I like how Ringo's voice briefly goes from slightly whiny and forlorn to dark and aloof right before the chorus.
Metro - I knew I would like this just from the preview. I guess it's my guilty pleasure, seeing the other responses to this song. I dig the chill feel, like I should be cruising the freeway at 3 in the morning, or sitting at a lounge sipping a martini with some friends. I like the filter used on Ringo, it works really well for her voice, and I like how the general sound becomes a bit more organic towards the end.

Overall, the album isn't bad at all. Though it's got the only examples of Ringo/TJ work, other than Sigma, that I would actively skip on the playlist.

Jesse 2007.09.25 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe (Post 16963)
If you are going to say one part of the song is like a weaker part of another, then you should be specific and not generalize a whole song like that.

It was my first impression of the song. In a later review I expanded on this statement:

Quote:

Shiseikatsu - Very boring. Don't even like the verses. The end is a direct rip off of Superstar.
And this is all personal opinion.

HEDOfloe 2007.09.25 05:55 PM

Oh, I apologize for calling you out on that, I guess I missed that part since I was going over everyones opinion's all at once.

Tsuchiya 2007.09.25 06:08 PM

Quote:

I do not know where you are getting these feelings from. I think this is the most playful album they have made and not intellectual at all. It sounds like they were fucking around a lot more than trying to make you really dive into the music and "learn" something.

Keep in mind that Jihad has the music taste of a suburban 14-year-old living in the year 1998. :D

Tokyo Jihad 2007.09.25 06:14 PM

Hey guys, iz dat sum flaming? =Q

And Hedo, I was under the impression that everyone would rather me avoid your questions, so. y'know. But since you insist.

I suppose your Q was regarding the Bjork thing? Why can't that be Jihen's schtick? Well, if I started posting like HEDOfloe, people can tell it's not "really" whats coming from within, per se. And Shiina sorta hinted at that as very well. That this isn't really from within her, that what he had when i was 14 in 98 (and Shiina not too much older btw) is what was and is from within. Not frontin'

kuro_neko 2007.09.25 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Op2 (Post 16942)
Like the previous Tokyo Jihen albums, here are Shiina's obscure English track "titles".

01 - Ramp
02 - Mirror-ball
03 - Box of goldfish
04 - Backstage
05 - O.S.C.A.
06 - My way
07 - Vengeance
08 - The citizens
09 - ss/aw
10 - Princesse mensuelle
11 - Sake & nondrinker
12 - Killer-tune
13 - Metro

where did this come from? This is a lot closer than Adult I must say, maybe except for backstage and my way.

kuro_neko 2007.09.25 06:27 PM

double post

goraku actually translates as "amusement" or "entertainment" and to Variety shows specifically, which I think explains the general lighthearted and sometimes cartoony element of some songs. In this sense I think the album captures and complete succeeds in doing what it was claimed to set out to be. I also think having all those types of genres bending together and working in the space of one album that still feels cohesive is a massive feat.

I was thinking and I reject the whole notion of an artist's work being weighed by how it stacks up against the proceeding work. Like with every album you should be topping yourself again and again. I think that is bullshit, each work is seperate and I think it is more of a feat to create work that is horizontal instead of vertical, rather, instead of trying to just constantly outdo yourself in work and hit a glass ceiling, to create work that is innovative and new and earns it spot next to other works as different and complimentary

this album fits so well on the shelf next to the previous two, even her solo work.

And I *love* SS/AW and Boutomin. I think I'm a weirdo....I like the keys. This album is very piano-centric I think...maybe that is a turn off for some, but it just increases the attraction to me.

Tokyo Jihad 2007.09.25 06:34 PM

I dont think its a matter of "topping" everytime. Of course, its a nice surprise. But there shouldnt be a incongruous drop of quality, and it should 'sound' like the same artist while showing "progression."

To illustrate my point, lets look a my fav mortal band, Oasis (*Tsuchiya chuckles*) They havent made an album that tops their sophomore album from back in 1995. The 4 albums afterwards, have all failed to be as great as that and their 94 debut. Howevva, none of them are shames. None of em "well, maybe I should pretend this album doesn't exist." They all have quality, they sound like Oasis and they show progression musically.

I don't think Variety fulfills all these aspects.

HEDOfloe 2007.09.25 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad (Post 16969)
Hey guys, iz dat sum flaming? =Q

And Hedo, I was under the impression that everyone would rather me avoid your questions, so. y'know. But since you insist.

I suppose your Q was regarding the Bjork thing? Why can't that be Jihen's schtick? Well, if I started posting like HEDOfloe, people can tell it's not "really" whats coming from within, per se. And Shiina sorta hinted at that as very well. That this isn't really from within her, that what he had when i was 14 in 98 (and Shiina not too much older btw) is what was and is from within. Not frontin'

avoid my questions? That's ridiculous. Anyway, if you really wanted to avoid my questions just don't say stuff I will disagree with ^_~.

Anyway, what do you mean posting like me???? I see what you are saying though, she did say she was uncertain of whether to do styles she's done before or do something new again, but I don't think this is just questioning herself in the sense of "am I doing the right thing" but more in a tactical way. She said what styles she does not or cannot do and I think she feels they almost reached a point where they have to settle on a style because anything else would really not be "them".

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuro_neko (Post 16972)
double post

goraku actually translates as "amusement" or "entertainment" and to Variety shows specifically, which I think explains the general lighthearted and sometimes cartoony element of some songs. In this sense I think the album captures and complete succeeds in doing what it was claimed to set out to be. I also think having all those types of genres bending together and working in the space of one album that still feels cohesive is a massive feat.

I was thinking and I reject the whole notion of an artist's work being weighed by how it stacks up against the proceeding work. Like with every album you should be topping yourself again and again. I think that is bullshit, each work is seperate and I think it is more of a feat to create work that is horizontal instead of vertical, rather, instead of trying to just constantly outdo yourself in work and hit a glass ceiling, to create work that is innovative and new and earns it spot next to other works as different and complimentary

this album fits so well on the shelf next to the previous two, even her solo work.

And I *love* SS/AW and Boutomin. I think I'm a weirdo....I like the keys. This album is very piano-centric I think...maybe that is a turn off for some, but it just increases the attraction to me.

Wow, I totally agree with this post. I felt the exact same way about the title and I was going to mention that when I review all the tracks but you already said it. I also do not think you should judge an album based on another. I think its completely fine to compare albums, but I would never dislike or put down one album just because I thought another was better.

I also love the piano a lot which is one of the reasons why this band really intrigued me, beginning with HZM.

EDIT:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad (Post 16974)
I dont think its a matter of "topping" everytime. Of course, its a nice surprise. But there shouldnt be a incongruous drop of quality, and it should 'sound' like the same artist while showing "progression."

To illustrate my point, lets look a my fav mortal band, Oasis (*Tsuchiya chuckles*) They havent made an album that tops their sophomore album from back in 1995. The 4 albums afterwards, have all failed to be as great as that and their 94 debut. Howevva, none of them are shames. None of em "well, maybe I should pretend this album doesn't exist." They all have quality, they sound like Oasis and they show progression musically.

But don't you think this has to do with the fact that they were trying to achieve different things? Tokyo Jihen and Ringo alone are/have trying/tried different styles consistently so if one is not to your preference, it does not mean it has a lack of quality. It's like you said before, you did not sign up for J-pop. It's a genre change, not a lack in quality. I'm more biased towards the album because I do like pop, but I'm not huge on it. Sure, looking at my avatar would tell you otherwise, but there is no way in hell I like any other pop as much as this album. Ayumi or most other pop groups just lack the depth to be more than just entertaining and this is the depth that I feel TJ has which you call a lack of quality or drop of quality.

But, I digress, basically I think Oasis and most other groups just want to improve whereas TJ wants to do something different at the same time. I still think this album sounds very experimental and I can only hope that I has been a great learning experience for them.

Tsuchiya 2007.09.25 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuro_neko (Post 16972)

Thank you. The keys are brilliant and I think the most unexpected. Total '70s flavor and they always add so much to the songs.

Tokyo Jihad 2007.09.25 06:38 PM

I posted first, Hedo. You disagreed with me =P

Tsuchiya 2007.09.25 06:41 PM

Quote:

To illustrate my point, lets look a my fav mortal band, Oasis (*Tsuchiya chuckles*).

Haha, I did a little, actually.

Seriously, though, I used to own Morning Glory and Be Here Now. Yes, I liked them when I was...14.

Tokyo Jihad 2007.09.25 06:45 PM

So, you disrespect your past? What got you here? Its kids stuff? tsk tsk. The past makes us what we are Tsuchiya.

aaanyway, uuhhh. Fukushuu. im not sure if its "actually" good, or just been so long since ive heard something like it. I have listened to it alot, so i'unno.

HEDOfloe 2007.09.25 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsuchiya (Post 16978)
Haha, I did a little, actually.

Seriously, though, I used to own Morning Glory and Be Here Now. Yes, I liked them when I was...14.

I think this is just wrong because, although I'm not too familiar with their music, Oasis does not sound like kids music. I don't see what's wrong with liking them. I like the beatles and I was introduced to them by my father since I could remember. He played them on almost every car ride (or so it seemed :D) and am I immature or clinging on to my past just because I like them? I do not think so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad (Post 16979)
aaanyway, uuhhh. Fukushuu. im not sure if its "actually" good, or just been so long since ive heard something like it. I have listened to it alot, so i'unno.

I think you LOVE it. Just say you love the rest of it, we all know you do :D

kuro_neko 2007.09.25 07:07 PM

Quote:

no one is saying that about this album at all. There was negative backlash to HF even spread amongst the fan base because of the use of older music, but the reception to this album has been mostly positive with the exception of some of what I have seen on these forums. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but don't make the mistake of thinking yours is the only.

Variety definitely earns its stripes and I think if your disenchanted with it you probably will be just as disenchanted with whatever comes next, be it TJ or Ringo.

Tokyo Jihad 2007.09.25 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuro_neko (Post 16985)
but the reception to this album has been mostly positive

Really? You really think so? I'd say it's "turbulently mixed" at best.

If the next album isn't some lame gimmick (other than perhaps to produce quality music with some soul) I will warmly open it, so long of course the music doesnt suck in spite of the hypothesis.

Tsuchiya 2007.09.25 07:14 PM

I think "Fukushuu" is the only real flaw with the album. It doesn't even sound like Tokyo Jihen. Even when I try to overlook the extremely distasteful style of the song, I struggle to find anything remotely redeemable. Though I will say that it improves a bit closer to the end.

But COME ON, it's like EVANESCENCE or something. I was walking to work this morning listing to Variety, and every track was just sounding supremely epic (even "Mirrorball" sounded good...it's a good walking track because you have more patience to put up with the track's relatively stagnant structure)--just SO GOOD. Numerous shivers were had. Then I got to "Fukushuu" and it was like I stepped in dog shit. I really made me feel like a giant tool listening to that thing. I thought it might have been possible for Tokyo Jihen to tackle such a genre, but it turns out that not even the talented, inspired TJ can polish a hopeless ball of dung into a gem. What about the track has the Tokyo Jihen character? I wonder.

I don't blame Uki, though, because I think it's pretty obvious that the band (or someone...) wanted to have a track to attract their old fans--the ones who were teenagers when Shiina was solo. "Uki, make a song with angsty guitar wailing." It's also SMACK in the middle of the album. Damn. I've never been a "playlist" guy and I don't really believe in deleting songs from an album, but I just can't imagine this track ever working out for me.

I guess that counts as my review of "Fukushuu." I will to force myself to bear the stench in search of some sort of glimmer of quality, but there's really not much to sift through. All the other tracks are so detailed and layered that I can't see them growing old...ever really.

Whoever said that "Fukushuu" is the only track he likes...you just made my list.

Tsuchiya 2007.09.25 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe (Post 16980)
I think this is just wrong because, although I'm not too familiar with their music, Oasis does not sound like kids music. I don't see what's wrong with liking them. I like the beatles and I was introduced to them by my father since I could remember. He played them on almost every car ride (or so it seemed :D) and am I immature or clinging on to my past just because I like them? I do not think so.

I'm mostly just giving him a hard time. I think Oasis are a good band, but I just kind of lost touch with them.

Tokyo Jihad 2007.09.25 07:18 PM

Ok Tsuchiya. Really now, lets stop with the elitism. If is not "what japanese music do you like" its this "lolz kids" stuff.
/to your second to previous statement

Maou 2007.09.25 07:23 PM

Quote:

Yeah, see, they start eerily similar, they build up eerily similar, the guitar solo ending is similar and the song pretty much ends the same. So yes, serious.

Tsuchiya 2007.09.25 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe (Post 16980)

He's scared to like a Tokyo Jihen song.

Jihad, it's okay, we'll still like you if you admit to enjoying a song by the band that this board (you know, the one you have 10,000 posts on) is dedicated to.

Tsuchiya 2007.09.25 07:27 PM

I will agree with you dudes that "Superstar" is quite reminiscent of the new Kameda track.

Tsuchiya 2007.09.25 07:27 PM

And, Maou, I'm happy that you like "Metro"--it's a brilliant track.

Tsuchiya 2007.09.25 07:32 PM

Not to spam the page, but let me just say that I'm not crazy about Kameda's bass tone on a lot of the tracks...too treble-y and roundwound-y. Would have been nice to hear a little upright or, yeah I'm saying it, fretless.

RollOverHobo 2007.09.25 08:17 PM

......and 63 pages later
..........I haven't heard the album yet, but no way is it going to top Adult.......and if it does I'll.....no, it just can't. I'm srsly disappointed...only reason I listen to the Jihens is to get my Shiina fix (don't care about effing lyrics, can't understand japanese anyways)...*sigh* I might as well crawl up into my HoboHole and wait for the next album where she actually contributes something worthwhile.......:(

Op2 2007.09.25 08:37 PM

The English tracklist is on Kronekodow's Variety page, kuro_neko.

BTW, it's funny to see how that when Adult (Otona, as it was called back then) first came out, many people hated the style change and the new band members. People had nothing but vile things to say about the album. After Jihad's first positive review of the album, almost every reply was filled with anger about how much the album sucked. Now it is largely regarded as the best Tokyo Jihen album, and some people go as far to say it is the best Shiina Ringo album.

The exact same thing happened to Heisei Fuuzoku. People said it was pure shit when it first came out (hey, even Jihad said my critique of the album was harsher than his). Now, people love the album compared to initial reviews.

I can't wait to see what Variety is ranked in 4 months.

lazer85 2007.09.25 09:00 PM

It seems clear to me Ringo's judgement isn't nearly as good as her songwriting ability, I keep hoping their going to say the leaked version was a joke. This would be a fine B-side album for anyone else but in the context of ringo and the bands career, it's trash. There isn't anything special about any single song, perhaps make an exception if you want to count Kuronekodou, kingyou no hako, and killer tune, but each sounds like something else.

KZK was the most brilliant album I've ever laid my ears on and all other ringo's has been just a few steps behind it. It was all arranged so beautifully and full of originality and the most catchy vocal melodies. Theres some parts on this album that just sound like they were written by some depressed emo kid and it throws off the whole mood, the vocal melodies are nothing compared to ANYTHING else ringo has ever made, and nothing sounds new, either ripping off old ringo/jihen or sounded way more typical than is normal for the band.

For anyone else this would be a B- or a C+ but for an artist who has never ever let me down as much as I expect it (I was pretty certain Hesei was going to do it until I listened to it a second time) this has left a huge void in music to look forward to. I truly hope this was just a failed experiment and they'll come back strong, until then, I'm dissapointed.

Someone please recomend me something to fill this huge gap that will remain until TJ's 4th album is on its way. Something with vocal melodies and arrangement as beautiful as ANYTHING ringo has done before this.

PS I'm sure I'll grow into this album a little more, but I'm positive I'm never going to love it, at all.

lazer85 2007.09.25 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Op2 (Post 16998)
The English tracklist is on Kronekodow's Variety page, kuro_neko.

BTW, it's funny to see how that when Adult (Otona, as it was called back then) first came out, many people hated the style change and the new band members. People had nothing but vile things to say about the album. After Jihad's first positive review of the album, almost every reply was filled with anger about how much the album sucked. Now it is largely regarded as the best Tokyo Jihen album, and some people go as far to say it is the best Shiina Ringo album.

The exact same thing happened to Heisei Fuuzoku. People said it was pure shit when it first came out (hey, even Jihad said my critique of the album was harsher than his). Now, people love the album compared to initial reviews.

I can't wait to see what Variety is ranked in 4 months.

true! but!
i did this with heisei but never anything else in ringo's career and I still think it was a lame excuse to put out 2 or 3 new songs without having enough material for a full album. It's this downward curve thats worrying me. 2 initial dissapointments in a row, and while the first has disolved a bit this one is going to be very hard to lift.

ShadyNook 2007.09.25 10:55 PM

Flipflopper!

justriiingo 2007.09.25 11:18 PM

JR's review.

Good. Nice. Meh. Sucks. Note the lack of the "Excellent" and "Orgasmic" categories.
Ramp - Optimistic opening.

Mirrorball
- I guess I like this slightly more than the JCHI version, but it's still a bad song.

Goldfish (mostly good, partly sucks)- This should be the opening track. It's so inviting. I like the verses in this one, it's got a good rhythm to it. The chorus is a throwback to DO's Toumei Ningen, but it works here. I like the exuberant feel of this song. Only bad thing? The guitar solo. Terrible.

Private life
- I think this song has so much potential to be so excellent, I'm disappointed that it isn't. The verse has a nice melody, but the chorus is "meh".

OSCA (this means that it's 25% nice and 75% meh) - In comparison, I think this track is actually one of the better ones on this album. Since you all know I don't like OSCA, I guess that says so much about the other tracks on this album.

Kuronekodow - What is this. The arrangement is not working for this melody. I would rather it be a straight-forward, piano-based jazzy ballad. I think that would work much better.

Fuukushu
- On it's own, it's not too bad. But it doesn't belong on this album.

Botomin (meh & sucks at the same time)- Those guys shouldn't be singing. SR is the only one who sounds like she's actually singing. This song doesn't do anything for me. What's the kabuki reference all about anyway?

SSAW - The chorus is rather nice, but it sounds like one of those pop songs that stars sing on charity shows. The verse needs to be rewritten.

Princess mensuelle
- Whatever. I hate this.

Sake to Geko
- Nice. I like this. I love it when they switched to that lush piano part in 3/4. Such a lovely melody. Not crazy about the verse but I guess it still works in this context.

Killer Tune - Enjoyable song.

Metro - Not crazy about the 80s effects and references, but I have to say I really like the general feel of this song, and I love what happens in the chorus. I've been playing it in my head quite a bit these few days, so I guess this is the best song in Variety.

Save for a few tracks, I would say this is a largely unremarkable album. Maybe even terrible.

The Shiina Ringo (and possibly Tokyo Jihen) school of music (to me), is about pushing the boundaries of pop music, bending and fusing genres, giving the old a fresh new twist, and most important of all, originality. And because it's pop music, it's got to be catchy and listenable. What is it in Variety that adheres to this philosophy? If I thought Adult was somewhat "placating", then Variety is paying lip-service to fans who requested more songwriting involvement from the other band members. Variety doesn't even come close to Adult in terms of quality, it's got zero visceral impact compared to Kyouiku, and when it comes to being soul-stirring (something I've come to expect from SR songs) - absolutely NOT at all.

Frankly speaking, if Variety was released after Kyouiku, I would have stopped being a Tokyo Jihen fan immediately. But I guess SR gave me enough time to expect the worst (and the queerest) from Tokyo Jihen (and Ukigumo) so I was a lot more open-minded and lenient when listening to this album. None of the tracks on the album got me to a level of excitement like Kyouiku and Adult. But I've gotten past the disappointment stage. Unless SR goes back to songwriting, I will channel all my listening energies to other artists.

justriiingo 2007.09.25 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsuchiya (Post 16968)
Keep in mind that Jihad has the music taste of a suburban 14-year-old living in the year 1998. :D

I would rather believe a 14-year-old in 1998 than a 14 year old in 2007. Boybands > Rappers.

Seriously, pop music back then was so much more enjoyable and listenable, unlike the nonsense that's being overplayed and overhyped now. I don't even listen to anything remotely mainstream now, not because I'm an elitist bitch who thinks mainstream music is for idiots, because everything mainstream disappoints me so much, I truly believe they were made for idiots now. The 90s were a way better period for music than the 00s, and it seems that SR/Tokyo Jihen is following that unfortunate downward trajectory.

Seriously, if I make a "Do you like Variety?" poll now, I believe most of the responses will straight out "NO."