Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Main Forum (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SR/TJ songs being recycled (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=575)

cyruslo 2008.01.12 12:55 PM

SR/TJ songs being recycled

Have you heard any songs that once you heard it...
:hmph:"Hmmm, I must have heard it before"...
:whacko: "No i didn't, but why it sounds so familiar"...
:blink: "Can't it be copying from(or borrowing ideas from or sounding similar to) a song of SR/TJ?!"...
:o "Oh! It is____!"

Here is my example:
Aiko - Shiawase

I do not think Aiko intentionally copied from Ringo, but it at least made me think in the way I mentioned above starting from 1:30, and "Oh! It is Suberidai - One of my favourties!"

HEDOfloe 2008.01.12 12:58 PM

I don't know, I've heard this song many times and I never once felt that it sounded like a Ringo song.

alleon86 2008.01.12 01:00 PM

its definitely plagiarism I can totally hear it from 1;30 from what you said. However, it suberdai even released? i dont think it was released officially.

cyruslo 2008.01.12 01:04 PM

Your reply is so fast @_@
I've heard it two or three times before, but I just had that feeling last time I heard it again.
You can try to hear it again and compare it with Suberidai.

alleon86 2008.01.12 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedofloe (Post 23498)
I don't know, I've heard this song many times and I never once felt that it sounded like a Ringo song.

if one or two lines sounds familiar then its okay, maybe coincidence, but we are talking about the whole chorus here. lolz

cyruslo 2008.01.12 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alleon86 (Post 23499)
its definitely plagiarism I can totally hear it from 1;30 from what you said. However, it suberdai even released? i dont think it was released officially.

It was released in the revised version of Konfukuron: http://www.emimusic.jp/vmc/artist/do.../toct22011.php
(すべりだい = Suberidai)

Nhexima 2008.01.12 01:30 PM

I don't know, I guess they sound somewhat similar, but I couldn't consider it plagiarism.

Ha, I'm always surprised for some reason that Aiko is still around... I remember really liking some of her songs from her first two albums, but then I completely forget about her...

Orenji 2008.01.12 02:11 PM

Hmmmm... I don't find any similarities... I love both songs, though.

HEDOfloe 2008.01.12 02:20 PM

Actually, I went back to compare them and they sound a little similar. But, yea, I wouldn't call it plagiarism either since the main similarity is just the flow of the chorus. But, I don't really know what you can really call plagiarism in music, unless its like unauthorized sampling or something like that.

justriiingo 2008.01.12 03:44 PM

Nice feel-good pop song!
The first line of the chorus totally sounds like Suberidai, and the whole song has the feel of Marunouchi Sadistic. Sounds like something a younger Ringo would sing.
I wouldn't call it plagiarism though. The chord progression is kinda different. And many songs sound like this anyway.

frecklegirl 2008.01.12 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyruslo (Post 23502)
It was released in the revised version of Konfukuron: http://www.emimusic.jp/vmc/artist/do.../toct22011.php
(すべりだい = Suberidai)

And Suberidai was also released on the very first Koufukuron single o_O Its first appearance was not the re-release.

As for the Aiko song, it just makes me want to go listen to Suberidai. XD This also explains why my (Korean)native-Japanese-speaker friend was a fan of both Aiko and SR.

cyruslo 2008.01.12 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frecklegirl (Post 23517)
And Suberidai was also released on the very first Koufukuron single o_O Its first appearance was not the re-release.

You are right! I missed it O_o

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cambridge Dictionary - "plagiarize"
to use another person's idea or a part of their work and pretend that it is your own.

I think this "part of their work" can be as small as a few lines in the chorus. But whether you "pretend that is your own" work can be arguable.

Perhaps aiko heard Ringo's Suberidai, from which part of the melody turned into her memory. And when she wrote Shiawase, she mistakenly toke out some melody lines from her memory instead of the creativity center of her brain (and was amazed by herself that she wrote an excellent chorus:P)

No one ever heard a song similar to SR/TJ's? This thread is becoming an Aiko thread:whacko:

Canto 2008.01.13 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justriiingo (Post 23508)
Nice feel-good pop song!
The first line of the chorus totally sounds like Suberidai, and the whole song has the feel of Marunouchi Sadistic. Sounds like something a younger Ringo would sing.
I wouldn't call it plagiarism though. The chord progression is kinda different. And many songs sound like this anyway.

When was Suberidai & Marusade like other pop songs? you can never judge SR songs' quality with progressions. She (well, the pre-HF she) always managed to give brilliant fresh melodies out of those old common chord progressions. I call this genius.

Hint: Aiko debuted along with Ringo in the same music contest (Yamaha Music Quest '96). But most of her famous work are released after year 2000. Now a teenpop idol, she's actually even 3 years older than Ringo.

Yahiko 2008.01.13 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frecklegirl (Post 23517)

As for the Aiko song, it just makes me want to go listen to Suberidai. XD This also explains why my (Korean)native-Japanese-speaker friend was a fan of both Aiko and SR.

yep, the song released only in the re-release was toki ga bousou suru =)

and.. whats chirinuruwowaka's drummer doing in this pv?! XDDDDD

justriiingo 2008.01.13 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canto (Post 23527)
When was Suberidai & Marusade like other pop songs? you can never judge SR songs' quality with progressions. She (well, the pre-HF she) always managed to give brilliant fresh melodies out of those old common chord progressions. I call this genius.

I was referring to the general "feel-good" quality of the of the songs. Many UA songs have that quality, as well as Yamashita Tatsuro's.

Cosmo! 2008.01.13 11:54 AM

It sounds vaguely similar to Suberidai, but I doubt Ringo can rush out to a lawyer to collect.

madpawn 2008.01.13 03:02 PM

ah, this artist is just what I needed right now! every song I've listened to of hers has been really quite good. :D and it's all so happy.

Lena-chan 2008.01.14 02:48 AM

aiko and SR are friends, I'm sure one day they were togheter and...

aiko: õ.õ suddenly I want to make a song very alike your suderidai and marusadi, any problem with this?
SR: not at all o.O
aiko: yey /o/

cyruslo 2008.01.14 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lena-chan (Post 23580)
aiko and SR are friends, I'm sure one day they were togheter and...

aiko: õ.õ suddenly I want to make a song very alike your suderidai and marusadi, any problem with this?
SR: not at all o.O
aiko: yey /o/

This is the best interpretation.-_-

By the way...
The awardsssss-winning producer from Hong Kong, Mark Lui, who is infamous for plagiarism, has been accused of plagiarising the arrangement of Gibusu for this song:

>>Click if you don't mind listening to bad song<<

My opinion:
I can feel that he tried to imitate Gibusu, but he failed to do so, that's why I don't blame him for plagiarism:P

Lena-chan 2008.01.14 07:52 AM

I liked it XD
don't know why

cjhobbies00 2008.01.14 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyruslo (Post 23593)
This is the best interpretation.-_-

By the way...
The awardsssss-winning producer from Hong Kong, Mark Lui, who is infamous for plagiarism, has been accused of plagiarising the arrangement of Gibusu for this song:

>>Click if you don't mind listening to bad song<<

My opinion:
I can feel that he tried to imitate Gibusu, but he failed to do so, that's why I don't blame him for plagiarism:P

MuhaHHAHahA, my god that was terrible. Since I was born in Hong Kong I would like to apoligize to the rest of the world for the crap that they produce.

imkookoo 2008.01.14 06:13 PM

The first time I heard Gips, I was thinking of Britney Spears' "I'm Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman" for just a tiny bit. The "I'm not a girl" part is the same as the "Anatawa" part of Gips.

That's probably purely coincidental though as it is only like one measure. :)

I wonder if there will be a point where creating any song will be exactly like a song that already existed before. There can only be so many combinations of notes and rhythms.

cyruslo 2008.01.15 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjhobbies00 (Post 23620)
MuhaHHAHahA, my god that was terrible. Since I was born in Hong Kong I would like to apoligize to the rest of the world for the crap that they produce.

I'm from Hong Kong too! - but just not brave enough to admit it when I was posting HK pop music:P

Frankly I don't think that song was that bad, but the producer - I really dislike him.

Anyway... Gips and I'm Not a Girl??:blink: Ringo and Britney??:whacko:

cjhobbies00 2008.01.15 02:52 PM

^ I think that the instrumental arrangement was terrible, like most HK songs. I didn't like the lyrics either (Chinese lyrics are terrible nowadays, so bland and they chose the worst words...). The singer is ok (Kelly Chen, rite?), too bad she has to sing garbage like this all the time.

ShadyNook 2008.01.15 09:54 PM

aiko's entire career was built on Suberedai-type of music. She has alot of original hits even without that sound-alike song, so I'll let that one...slide.

check this out

Marunouchi Jheri Curls

also the scat solo from jazz a gogo is recycled by Ukigumo on a certain Adult track. if you heard Utaite Myoli, then you know what I'm talking about.

guess the solo

and I posted in another thread this recycled melody

guess the kyoiku song

onetwotrey 2008.01.20 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadyNook (Post 23661)

check this out

Marunouchi Jheri Curls

I would like to add this, as a friend pointed out to me:

what melody line comes to mind

But her song is still so sexygood

HEDOfloe 2008.01.21 04:11 PM

Ohh!! Juju did a cover of that song, "and I like it"!! I was cracking my head thinking of who it was, but I finally got it. ^_^

imkookoo 2008.01.21 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetwotrey (Post 23900)
I would like to add this, as a friend pointed out to me:

what melody line comes to mind

But her song is still so sexygood

I've listened to Grover's Just the Two of Us for the longest time, and I haven't made the connection with SR'S song until now that you mention it. :O It's a big enough difference though. (:

ShadyNook 2008.01.22 10:50 PM

you stumped me. I dont know what song that sounds like! what is it?

okay, see if you can get this one, imagine a saloon piano playing backup:

guess the TokyoJihen song

guess the TokyoJihen song2

guess the TokyoJihen song3

Orenji 2008.01.23 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadyNook (Post 23953)

Oh, I don't find any similarities in the two first songs, but the last one is obviously Toumei Ningen :O.

Yahiko 2008.01.23 08:16 AM

the first for me sounds a BIT like tasogare naki...

imkookoo 2008.01.23 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadyNook (Post 23953)

Tasogare Naki, Crawl, and Toumei Ningen.

And the song that Grover's Just the Two of Us sounds a bit like is Marunouchi Sadistic..

Yahiko 2008.01.26 08:15 PM

damn wheres the video I put here?!

:whacko: guess whats that song

imkookoo 2008.02.12 05:51 PM

How about this one..

guess the Shiina Ringo song

justriiingo 2008.02.12 07:29 PM

I'm guessing OSCA. and that's not a SR song.

imkookoo 2008.02.13 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justriiingo (Post 24859)
I'm guessing OSCA. and that's not a SR song.

Nope.. the intro of Identity.

fluffiethesock 2008.02.13 11:30 AM

The drumming sounds much more like Kronekodow though.

haruhi-suzumiya 2008.02.13 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyruslo (Post 23497)
Have you heard any songs that once you heard it...
:hmph:"Hmmm, I must have heard it before"...
:whacko: "No i didn't, but why it sounds so familiar"...
:blink: "Can't it be copying from(or borrowing ideas from or sounding similar to) a song of SR/TJ?!"...
:o "Oh! It is____!"

Here is my example:
Aiko - Shiawase

I do not think Aiko intentionally copied from Ringo, but it at least made me think in the way I mentioned above starting from 1:30, and "Oh! It is Suberidai - One of my favourties!"

I was listening to it and thought it sounded....really simmilar. At some point she thought she was about to sing suberidai...

If Ringo did a version of suberidai in this style, it might sound good.