Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Introductions (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   New Members Thread (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=7)

deadgrandma 2012.10.24 01:15 PM

Who on earth finds White Chalk boring? Sure, it may not appeal to rock heads (who missed the whole point of PJ to start with), but boring? This isn't a new Tori release...

Not to mention if you stopped listening after it, then you missed out on last year's AOTY, Let England Shake. I mean, cmon.

Inseu 2012.10.24 03:47 PM

"Boring" is a bit harsh, I should say "introspective", and that's not the direction I'm interested in. Let England Shake is alright...still a tame affair IMO.

Admittedly, I overplayed Polly's early albums in 2005, and I haven't listened to her on a regular basis ever since. My relationship with Polly is like a middle school boy's relationship with Nirvana - the boy eventually grew out of that teenage angst stuff and moved on.

Speaking of teenage angst...I still listen to early Ringo, because I had a big crush on her after watching the PV of Kabuki-chou no Joou, then all hell broke loose.

frecklegirl 2012.10.28 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manwonman (Post 83701)
Born in Omaha, Nebraska, but have spent significant portions of my school life in Houston, Texas and Atlanta, Georgia, but I've been living in Seoul since 2004 and I'm a huge fan of Ringo and TJ. I have visited Japan 5 times and have particularly enjoyed Fukuoka (where Yumiko spent some time growing and transforming into the woman we have come to know and love, Ringo), where I've had the pleasure of spending the most time.

Ha! My parents' hometown is Lincoln and I've spent a lot of time in Houston (although I hate it), so holla! I'm going to be spending New Year's in Fukuoka, so if you have any recommendations (esp a shrine to go to for hatsumoude), by all means!

Quote:

Originally Posted by chatenoire (Post 84709)
I used to be a die-hard fan of Ringo, followed her tours around Japan.
After the second phase of Tokyo Incidents, everything went on the downward spiral to me.
She is also killing me with all sorts of collaborations.

I don't want to be a drama queen, yet I feel a part of me has died.
But you know what? A lot of me doesn't give a rat's ass.

Oh, this is very interesting. You mean you were following her around Japan when she was still a solo artist? Are you Japanese or a long-term Japan resident? Well, I definitely can sympathize with you to some extent; Ringo is no longer what she was, but some songs here and there are quite good, maybe even brilliant, and probably no artist can be consistently fantastic and at some point the blaze/anger/rebellion of youth fades for everyone.

Kuroneko 2013.01.04 01:49 AM

Hello!

I've been a Ringo fan since 2003, and a non-contributing lurker since the inception of the Ringo Jihen forums.

frecklegirl 2013.01.04 04:17 AM

Haha, welcome! It's always good to see lurkers come out of the woodworks.

Kuroneko 2013.01.04 06:57 AM

Thank you, Sarah. :)

orphic okapi 2013.02.06 12:39 AM

Hi guys. I'm living in Japan right now working for the JET Program. Recently discovered Shiina and am pretty much in love. My favorites are (kinda predictably) SS and KSK, but I like the first two Tokyo Jihen albums a whole bunch too. Apart from Shiina, I like Tom Waits, Joanna Newsom, and Sufjan Stevens.

Um . . . Byoushou Public is really awesome?

orphic okapi 2013.02.06 12:51 AM

EDIT: Sorry I screwed up somehow.

TurtleFu 2013.02.06 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orphic okapi (Post 86303)
Hi guys. I'm living in Japan right now working for the JET Program. Recently discovered Shiina and am pretty much in love. My favorites are (kinda predictably) SS and KSK, but I like the first two Tokyo Jihen albums a whole bunch too. Apart from Shiina, I like Tom Waits, Joanna Newsom, and Sufjan Stevens.

Um . . . Byoushou Public is really awesome?

Yes. To everything.

Welcome home!

JunAttic 2013.03.14 02:57 AM

Hello everyone!
I'm a fan of Shiina Ringo and Tokyo Jihen since i don't remember ahaha but I don't care about it.
Well...I'm not really good at presentation,so,sorry for my bad english.