Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Introductions (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   New Members Thread (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=7)

Nimh 2013.03.14 07:08 AM

Congratulations to JunAttic for making the 1000th post in this thread!

reaiota 2013.03.14 08:59 AM

Hey~

so I've been listening to ringo since 2006
and I'm still obsessed with her

aside from that, I've been on these forums a countless number of times
and I think it's about time I become a regular

ra_yy 2013.04.30 01:42 PM

Bonjour, I'm a fan of Ringo from Canada. I haven't met anyone else from where I am who listens to her or even knows about her music, except for the people i introduce her to. Sigh. I wish she got more recognition.

I've been a fan since... a year ago when i listened to Muzai Moratorium. Starting that album up put a huge smile on my face. My favourite track and the first i've ever heard from her is Queen of Kabukicho. Favourite album is Kalk Samen Kuri no Hana and Japanese Manners.

I know i've only recently started listening but i soaked it all up pretty fast. I can't read japanese to save my life. so I have a hard to referencing track titles. All the tracks i have are in japanese, because of the symmetry of the track listings. Not as into Tokyo Jihen, just can't ever seem to get into that as much as her solo stuff.

Osiris12345 2013.05.01 03:11 PM

Welcome to the forums, ra_yy! I got into Ringo the same way you did! I loved Kabukichou no Joou when I first heard it.

Tell me, did you use YouTube to find out about her like I did? I was just wondering how you got Muzai Moratorium in the first place. That was how I found the Kabukichou video but now I notice that almost all uploads of her PVs and live shows have been taken down. It's gotten much more difficult for international fans to find out about her.

ra_yy 2013.05.01 05:18 PM

i was searching for music around different places around the world at rateyourmusic, then i saw her on youtube, checked the track listings and listened away. the only way i can get her stuff is from amazon or ebay or some other online store

Glathannus 2013.05.01 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ra_yy (Post 86814)
the only way i can get her stuff is from amazon or ebay or some other online store

I recommend amazon.co.jp over amazon.ca, as they could actually charge you less total (even with the international shipping), but Amazon (in any form) probably isn't the best source of Shiina Ringo music in particular.

I don't recommend eBay for people who are new to collecting Japanese CDs, as it's very easy to get tricked into buying Taiwan counterfeits. It's not an entirely bad source for experienced buyers who know all the red flags to watch out for, though. Actually, the Shiina Ringo market on eBay isn't so saturated with fraud, compared to other Japanese musicians who are more internationally recognized. Legit products are the majority among Shiina Ringo listings, instead of the minority. But you should always independently research a Japanese music release before buying it on eBay, so you'll know what it should look like - instead of using the seller's photos as your only reference.

There are other online stores. A lot of us use CD Japan and/or HMV Japan. They're more English-friendly than Amazon Japan, and their shipping is cheaper, too. But don't expect the end result to be cheap. If you don't already know, Japanese CDs are expensive. Maybe not so much if you can get them used, but definitely if we are talking about new. It's not quite so bad, now that the Japanese Yen is weakening (relative to other world currencies), but it's still significantly more expensive than what North American CDs cost, before international shipping even factors into it.

There's also YesAsia, but you should be aware that they are based out of Hong Kong, so although they offer Made In Japan CDs and they're always sincere about what you're getting, they are slower with new releases than any of the vendors based out of Japan, you're less likely to get bonus stickers/posters/whatever specific to the releases, and they are worse about estimating availability of 'backorder' products (which often turn out to be out-of-print). People do have success stories with YesAsia - I got my first couple of Shiina Ringo CDs from there, like 8 years ago. But I see other YesAsia buyers sighing about how long it takes them to receive the latest release which everyone else is already reviewing. YesAsia's main claim to fame was they accepted PayPal for years when no other major vendors (of Japanese music) did, but more recently so does CD Japan.

There are issues with Customs fees which I'm unfamiliar with, as it's not something the United States government is serious about. So if you care about keeping the final costs as low as possible, you may want to see what other Canadians have to say about their experiences with the different vendors, as what's cheap for me (an American) may not necessarily be cheap for you. Supposedly some vendors (or more specifically some shipping methods which not all vendors offer) will slip through Customs more-or-less often than others.

deadgrandma 2013.05.01 07:22 PM

Lets not forget CDJapan's bonus point system... it's well worth becoming a member there rather than just using 'check out'. You get a certain % of the cost of the product as bonus points- 1 point = 1 yen. If you spend over 5000 yen (very easy to do if you're getting more than 1 item) you get another 300 points on top. If you spend over 10,000 yen you get 1,000 bonus points. The Bonus Points then can be used to take as a discount off of your next purchase. I myself usually forget to use them though, so I accumulate amounts of 3,000 pretty easily- giving myself basically an item for free. I'm wondering if they will eventually put a limit on the amount of BP you can use per purchase or if one exists, I certainly haven't run into it. The most I've used at once was something like 3,200.

I advise to buy in bulk lots too, is saves enormously on postage.

Glathannus 2013.05.01 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadgrandma (Post 86821)
I'm wondering if [CD Japan] will eventually put a limit on the amount of BP you can use per purchase or if one exists, I certainly haven't run into it. The most I've used at once was something like 3,200.

I haven't encountered a limit yet, either.

Six years ago, I redeemed 9400 points toward an order of 4 CDs, which covered everything but the shipping. I don't remember if CD Japan would have let me also cover the shipping at the time, but I know they'll allow it nowadays.

A year ago, I redeemed around 6300 points to cover a purchase of 2 CDs with the shipping. The "Final Order Total" (money out of my pocket) was 0.

The only limitation with the points, is they don't compound. You only earn points by spending actual money beyond what the shipping would cost. The more points you use to cover an order, the less points you'll earn from that order. As with my orders where I was paying shipping or nothing, 0 points were earned. I've had huge orders where I redeemed around 6000 points and earned 2000 at the same time, because I was still spending a lot more actual money than what the shipping was costing.

When I do the math (with the points factored in), I choose to look at the overall situation as: shipping only costs me about $1.50 USD per disc when I'm buying dozens, while the effective value I'm getting out of the BasePrice + Shipping is way beyond what I could get from any other international seller (of Japanese goods) for the same price. It's especially remarkable when you consider that CD Japan doesn't cut corners with the packaging, and they often ship out a day or two early on new releases.

Nimh 2013.05.02 08:23 AM

Ordering through a nearby Kinokuniya (if you've got one) saves a bit of money, since they don't charge for shipping. But discounts are nonexistent.

Book Off just recently opened its largest store in California, at the Lakewood Center Mall. And it was HUGE, with a ton of books for $1 and racks of DVDs for $3. But it was basically a reseller of American products, nothing like a usual Book-Off. It was bittersweet browsing those aisles.

Osiris12345 2013.05.03 12:22 AM

Costa Mesa Book-Off is win. That's where I got MM, SS, and KSK used. My sister also gets used $1 manga there all the time too since she can actually read Japanese. We like to go there whenever we get a chance. I pity the non-Southern Californians here.

Tokyo Jihad 2013.05.03 09:54 AM

Why? we don't have to live in so-cal ^_^

Osiris12345 2013.05.06 08:46 AM

You have Book-Offs near you too? :waa:

KSK 2013.05.24 11:03 PM

Tsao Female China.
Hope meet some friends here.

frecklegirl 2013.05.25 10:18 AM

welcome!! Thanks for joining and feel free to stick around :)

3knotsJK 2013.06.11 04:20 AM

Hi, hopefully I can add up something worthy see some interesting discussions.

BadWolf 2013.06.16 10:29 AM

Hi, I'm Giuseppe.
Fan since 2011, a friend made me listen to the "Shuraba" single and I was blown away. Ever since then I started to discover more about Ringo and her music.

karateexplosion 2013.06.16 10:32 AM

DOCTOR WHO!

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum and stuff, too. :o

PJace808 2013.06.28 02:25 AM

Hi, I'm Jace. Live in Hawaii and currently studying Japanese in college. First got introduced to Ringo only 5~ years ago or so when one of my friends picked one of her songs to sing at karaoke and I thought it was pretty cool. Feels like I missed out on a lot of things in becoming a fan so late hah.
I've dabbled in songwriting so I really appreciate the genuine creativity that she brings in a Japanese music market where everything is so heavily produced.
I actually stumbled upon this place because I'm writing about her for one of my papers. I'm still a total noob so please bear with me :p

AaryaSiddharth 2013.06.28 05:50 AM

My name is Aarya Siddharth. I am new here.... Its really feel excited to meet You all people.

hedgehog 2013.09.04 04:04 PM

Hello everyone. I've viewed the forums for like a year without being a member. This seems to be the best place for Shiina news and discussion. I probably would've stayed accountless forever if someone wouldn't have posted pictures of Shiina's second kid! I had to get an account to see the pictures!

karateexplosion 2013.09.05 04:16 PM

^Nice try Yuichi, just because you guys had a kid together doesn't make you automagically wed to one another. :P

hedgehog 2013.09.05 06:01 PM

Haha I thought I was being all funny with my forum name...then immediate regret.

Glathannus 2013.09.05 09:54 PM

You're from Bellevue.. WA?

I've passed through there on I-405, over a thousand times, in my 75-mile commute to/from Renton Technical College. I almost got killed near one of your overpasses, when this 6-inch metal bolt came flying through the windshield of the car I was a passenger of, directly toward my face - but the only half the bolt made it through the windshield, so here I am. I don't know if it actually had anything to do with the bridge (or Bellevue) - that's simply where I was at the time. It probably could've just as easily happened in Kirkland or somewhere else along my commute.

As for why you registered:
I can understand if you suspect this community of trying to bait people into registering, but the intention is merely to keep the Attachments away from robots. It's not worth the time to implement some feature where unregistered users can captcha their way into seeing a particular Attachment, when they only have to go through captcha once to register. We don't require people to post, because then they'll just post absolutely useless garbage, and we've seen enough of that in other messageboards trying to enforce minimum postcounts.

I'll give you a free name-change within the next week, if you're having second thoughts about your current username.

Looking forward to other posts from you, hopefully at least in topics like this.

hedgehog 2013.09.05 11:25 PM

Whoa, that is a crazy story, Glathannus! And I wasn't saying I was baited or anything. I was just saying that's what finally convinced me. EMF seems like a pretty chill place. I might have to take you up on the name change thanks for the offer

Jave 2013.09.07 02:13 PM

Hello !!!

^^ great to find a comunity like this !!!
sharing some of my love to Ringo and Jihens !!!!

東京事変 - 能動的三分間 Bass Cover

東京事変 - その淑女ふしだらにつき Bass CoveR

APajo 2013.09.12 04:08 PM

Hi all
Amazed to find such a large non-Japanese Ringo & TJ fan community.
I'm a fan since I saw them live in 2007. Hope to see Ringo again, this year in November!
Cheers

frecklegirl 2013.09.22 01:38 AM

welcome :) you live in Tokyo?

AppleForMe 2013.10.21 01:48 PM

Hi guys nice meeting you all!!!! So happy to be able to find an English-based SR/TJ fan community!! I've been a SR fun for almost 7 years. The first song I listened to was "Koko de kisu shite". I was blown away by her voice and couldn't stop myself from fall in love with her. Im from Vancouver, Canada~~

Glathannus 2013.10.21 01:58 PM

A lot of us don't particularly like that song, but it won't factor into how we treat you. ;)

We could always use more members from the Pacific Northwest. Kinda feels like we're a minority among Shiina Ringo's North American fans, compared to fans from other parts of Canada, or California, or the east coast in general.

AppleForMe 2013.10.22 01:06 PM

Well "Koko de kisu shite" is not technically my favorite song of Ringo but it's the first song that draws me into Ringo's world =D. My favorite is "Kuki".

I know....We definitely need more ppl from NA XDD

timechaser 2013.10.23 07:54 AM

Hello all.
I'm Nolan.
I've been a fan for a few years now. One of my friends got me into Shiina Ringo's music. I've always loved Japanese culture and was taken aback by Shiina Ringo's beauty and talent.

hoopra 2013.10.24 04:10 PM

i love Koko de shite dynamite out version and prob my favorite for sentimental reason being she wrote and performed that specifically for me

hate the MM studio version tho
thank god i heard the dynamite one first

Rhea 2013.11.08 11:21 AM

I've been lurking for a while now, so I figured I'd finally say hi! Also, apparently I've had this account since 2012 but I don't remember making it @__@;;

I've been a Ringo fan since about 2004/2005, but I've mostly been focusing on her solo works. It's only fairly recently that I started paying attention to Jihen (about 2 years, maybe). I've been a bit out of the loop when it comes to Ringo news lately, and I figured joining a community would help me keep up! This also seems like a good place to find new music~

idk what else to say... I'm 23 and I'm from Norway!

StrawberryPop 2013.11.09 06:06 AM

Found this site upon searching for instrumentals from the HZD album. I've been a fan of Shiina Ringo for about two years. A friend of mine introduced me to Sakuran and I've been in love ever since.

LoLyfe 2013.11.11 10:44 AM

I'm Lo, been a fan for a good few years, I think my introduction to Ringo was via the Sakuran motion picture, although it feels as though I've been listening a lot longer than that...

Looking forward to participating in this wonderful community!

Reggie 2013.12.01 08:27 AM

Heya, I'm Reggie! I've been an SR fan and a TJ fan for quite a while, I think the first song I heard by TJ was Himitsu ♡ I'm a huge jazz fan so of course I was hooked. Anyways, these introductions are hard and awk for me so~ See you all around!! Thanks in advance for answering all of my questions, you all seem very knowledgeable and I've enjoyed reading the forum posts so far.

ambulocetus 2014.01.14 02:49 PM

I posted my intro in the wrong place a while back, and I'm finally going to fix that. Here it is http://forums.electricmole.net/showp...&postcount=245

Kuroneko 2014.01.25 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleForMe (Post 88395)
Well "Koko de kisu shite" is not technically my favorite song of Ringo but it's the first song that draws me into Ringo's world =D. My favorite is "Kuki".

I know....We definitely need more ppl from NA XDD

Are you still alive? :p

JAWofGoethe 2014.03.02 08:05 AM

Hi

Hi, everyone. I’m a young student (future math teacher) mad about SR since 2010. Listening to music is a given while I’m at class, home, reading, writing or drawing. Remember that dreamer type-of-guy that used to be silent and somewhat gloomy in your class at senior high? I’m that type, only a bit older, haha.
Now seriously I’m not that gloomy (anymore) but the dreamer part is still intact (Shiina has a thing against dreamers, right? I mean, guitarist dreamers…) and SR’s music along with other recommendations I have gathered while surfing the web conform my music collection.
I’ve been occasionally reading the forums for about a year or so and the practice (or ritual?) has grown on me strongly every day. No other place has given me so much insight in SR and her work and other artists I know now but would even hint they existed before. This is going to sound exaggerated but, for what it’s worth, it’s a personal truth: although I find EMF because of SR web-lurking, the diversity of opinions and tastes in the site was an echo of Ringo’s music philosophy. In this sense, oddly enough, the forum is a proper tribute to its origins since “it’s all over the place”.:lol:

Right now I got another free week from school and finally decided to post in EMF because well, to put it without stiffness, for the fun of it.
Well, I hope by joining the community I can learn a lot more about music and alike. Thanks in advance to all the members!
On a side note: I apologize if my english seems weird, I’m not a native speaker. I guess this is also a great opportunity to get some feedback in the use of the language. btw, this introduction is a kind of long and stiff, I know, but I like it that way.:)

Glathannus 2014.03.02 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAWofGoethe (Post 89651)
Remember that dreamer type-of-guy that used to be silent and somewhat gloomy in your class at senior high? I’m that type, only a bit older, haha.

You mean, introverted? That's very common here. I wouldn't say it automatically fits the profile of "a Shiina Ringo fan", but more specifically "people who take messageboards seriously in an era when it's not exactly the most well-known type of website".

Quote:

I apologize if my english seems weird, I’m not a native speaker. I guess this is also a great opportunity to get some feedback in the use of the language. btw, this introduction is a kind of long and stiff, I know, but I like it that way.

Your writing doesn't have an ESL (English-as-Second-Language) air to it, but perhaps your spoken English does. The choices-of-words from exclusively-English speakers can already be quirky at times, so the best way to describe your written English is that it's.. no quirkier than what I usually see. If you hadn't disclosed anything about your true nature, I would've just assumed English was your first/only language.

Anyway, welcome! B)

Inseu 2014.03.02 09:01 AM

Quote:

Hi, everyone. I’m a young student (future math teacher) mad about SR since 2010.

I've been mad about her since last year when the gossip came out!

Welcome!

JAWofGoethe 2014.03.02 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glathannus (Post 89652)
The choices-of-words from exclusively-English speakers can already be quirky at times, so the best way to describe your written English is that it's.. no quirkier than what I usually see.

Thanks Glathannus, for the feedback and the welcome^_^

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insue (Post 89653)
I've been mad about her since last year when the gossip came out!

Welcome!

Thanks, Insue ^_^

zordon 2014.03.21 07:37 AM

Hi and nice to meet you all, I'm a Polish guy in his mid-20s, who recently got his master's degree and made first steps into the actual adulthood (which sucks).

I've first gotten interested in Japanese music like 9 or 10 years ago, starting with bands like X Japan or L'Arc en ciel and some anime tracks. While I don't hate these, I've learned a bit more about Japanese rock scene and I simply found better and more interesting music acts, including Ringo, Yutaka Ozaki, Miyuki Nakajima etc.
While Shouso Strip really stands out as my favorite Ringo's album, my favorite song(s) would be both versions of Kōfukuron.

mrnarse 2014.03.25 09:57 PM

Been lurking around these forums for a while, so I thought I'd finally say hi!

I've been a Ringo fan for about 4 or 5 years now, but have only recently started collecting her releases. I've studied Japanese on and off for about 13 years, but I'd say my language skills are intermediate at best.

Some of my other musical likes are JUDY AND MARY, Ulfuls, Yano Akiko, Kishidan (for their goofiness), and Oomori Seiko.

MangleTangle 2014.04.21 08:55 AM

Introduction

Hello,

A search for Seiko Oomori lead me to this site. Much to my delight, it also happens to be a Tokyo Jihen forum as well. Huge fan of both. I'm also a big record collector and go vinyl hunting in Japan whenever I can. Some of my other favorite artists/bands include: Yura Yura Teikoku, Sunny Day Service (and anything Keiichi Sokabe is associated with), Supercar, DempaGumi Inc., RC Succession, Flipper's Guitar, Nikaido Kazumi, Les Rallizes Denudes, Boredoms, Kuchiroro, Quruli, Spitz, Kenji Ozawa, Yasuyuki Okamura, Zazen Boys, Hi-Standard, and on and on...

I look forward to snooping around.

kalmia 2014.04.29 09:17 PM

My name is Alexander. I'm a university student that is currently studying linguistics and music. A great interest in Japanese music led to pursue both of these academic pleasures. I am studying Japanese and am at a level that you might call mid-intermediate. Even now, music has a great impact on my studies. Translators, like our very own frecklegirl, truly inspire me. I am extremely grateful for translations because they function as excellent study tools.

Thank you. So, I discovered Ringo just under a year ago. I really wasn't expecting anything spectacular when I stumbled upon her. How she is not even remotely popular overseas astonishes me. Very few artists have made such a strong impression on me, and I thought I'd never find another. I was getting a bit tired of no one understanding my great discovery, so I finally decided to sign up for an account here.

Let's make our relationship mutually beneficial.

Inseu 2014.04.30 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalmia (Post 90176)
Let's make our relationship mutually beneficial.

Lots of sugar daddies in the forum! Welcome!

kalmia 2014.05.01 10:25 AM

Hey, thanks for the welcoming!

James Shoegazer 2014.05.01 11:52 PM

Hi, Nice to meet you all ! Never knew a forum for her actually existed~
I have been listening to Shiina Ringo for around 5~6 years...

I'm in love with her eccentric writing style and her captivating voice!
Her music really stands out from mainstream garbage nowadays.
She's not your typical pop/rock singer and is undoubtedly my favourite female Japanese vocalist of all time. What saddens me the most is the band's separation...I will never get over it :(

My interests are music composition, poetry, philosophy and photography. I hope we find common grounds.
Let me just feed you with a daily quote written by myself!
'Life is about embracing the essence of both goodness and impurity, appreciating beauty and understanding virtues.'

kalmia 2014.05.12 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Shoegazer (Post 90210)
What saddens me the most is the band's separation...I will never get over it :(

While this means there will be no more Tokyo Jihen, it means that there will be a whole lot more solo Ringo in the near future. Hopefully. It hasn't quite picked back up a whole lot yet.

xephyr 2014.05.14 08:28 PM

I'm not new here but I thought I'd post since I'm planning on coming around more these days. I still frequent the lastfm SR/TJ page though I don't post too often, and I'm on *grumbles*tumblr too and I'll occasionally share some new release photos or just video/audio. My main motivation is actually to find high-res scans of a photo in the Honnou release so if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great thanks

kalmia 2014.05.16 10:17 AM

I like the words of your signature, xephyr. Vocal gymnastics aren't what make a musician great. That's just a good vocalist. And most of those types are just voice.

xephyr 2014.05.16 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalmia (Post 90441)
I like the words of your signature, xephyr. Vocal gymnastics aren't what make a musician great. That's just a good vocalist. And most of those types are just voice.

Hope I'm not bursting a bubble, I meant it about instruments mostly, but I do know what you mean about vocal gymnastics. A good vocal tremolo carries a long way for most people.

incoming rant: I've been into shredders/guitar instrumentals for a while, and the accusation I hear most is how "soulless" and "robotic" it is. Not to say none of it is: there are plenty of people who are horribly boring and unstimulating, and there's a reason they're not grouped with the guitarists most people like. I think this accusation hurts when you think about applying it to any sort of music that isn't produced solely as a product to make money.

Some people may not be able to enjoy or comprehend technical music, but that doesn't mean the musician who wrote it is some sort of note-machine robot who can't blend skill with assumedly interesting composition. Personally I think emotion comes more from the composition and musical labor of a piece than hearing variations of some slow-pace 3-chord rock song with poetic lyrics and an attractive person behind it
edit: for the record this is not directed towards anyone on the forum it's a huge sweeping generalization towards casual music fans in a sense

deadgrandma 2014.05.16 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xephyr (Post 90451)
Hope I'm not bursting a bubble, I meant it about instruments mostly, but I do know what you mean about vocal gymnastics. A good vocal tremolo carries a long way for most people.

incoming rant: I've been into shredders/guitar instrumentals for a while, and the accusation I hear most is how "soulless" and "robotic" it is. Not to say none of it is: there are plenty of people who are horribly boring and unstimulating, and there's a reason they're not grouped with the guitarists most people like. I think this accusation hurts when you think about applying it to any sort of music that isn't produced solely as a product to make money.

Some people may not be able to enjoy or comprehend technical music, but that doesn't mean the musician who wrote it is some sort of note-machine robot who can't blend skill with assumedly interesting composition. Personally I think emotion comes more from the composition and musical labor of a piece than hearing variations of some slow-pace 3-chord rock song with poetic lyrics and an attractive person behind it
edit: for the record this is not directed towards anyone on the forum it's a huge sweeping generalization towards casual music fans in a sense

Technical music can carry passion too. Example in math rock:

Passionate: Converge
Robotic: tricot

kalmia 2014.05.19 04:49 PM

I think the quote works well for vocals and instruments alike. When it comes down to it, the human voice is just an instrument itself. It's texture just comes in a larger variety than most.

solarsenshi 2014.06.14 04:43 PM

Hi every one! I believe I never introduced myself here properly, though I've been a member here for some time, mostly to lurk and check the news. x3

My name is Irene and I'm Dutch, though I'm currently residing in Xiamen, China. I enjoy living in Asia and Ringo has been my favorite artist for almost 10 years now ~ (I was late to the party, and got into her at around 2004). She is one of the reasons why I wanted to come to Asia when I first had the chance, and I've been to Japan twice as well.
The first song I heard by her was Tadashii Machi ~ I prefer her solo work but I also adore Tokyo Jihen phase 1.
It's my dream to one day watch her live in concert, if I have the chance. After that I believe I can die happy ~ haha :D
My latest purchase by her was the Toutaikai DVD / CD set, which is amazing. I think her lives are often better than the recorded versions of the songs!

Parsec 2014.06.19 06:19 AM

Hello everyone, I've been lurking here a bit since getting into Shiina's music last November, but have now finally decided to sign up and start posting. I'm from Australia and like composing music and learning Japanese. See you around!

deadgrandma 2014.06.19 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parsec (Post 90921)
Hello everyone, I've been lurking here a bit since getting into Shiina's music last November, but have now finally decided to sign up and start posting. I'm from Australia and like composing music and learning Japanese. See you around!

Good to see another Aussie on here.

What part of the Great Brown Land do you reside?

I'm in Radelaide :-p

Parsec 2014.06.19 07:38 AM

I reside in Melbourne.

I once visited Adelaide with my family when I was a kid, but can't remember all that much of it. I wish I'd had enough money to fly over for the Adelaide festival the last few years, there's been some really great stuff in it..

timeframes 2014.07.01 01:33 AM

Hello, yes hi.
Hm not sure what to say this website looks like a quaint somewhat dead forum (no offense), but I happen to come upon this forum from some google searches. I've been a fan of Shiina Ringo probably for about a year now. Recently I listened to some of her songs again and experienced the emotions and impressions I got when I listened to her for the first time.
Welp that's about it. Nice to meet any of you that post from time to time?

Nimh 2014.07.01 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timeframes (Post 91019)
this website looks like a quaint somewhat dead forum

when you post enough, you get invited to the big secret party.

anonlurker 2014.07.01 09:54 PM

Well, there's not too much going on to talk about at the moment and all the old subjects have been argued to death. :P

A place largely dedicated to one person is going to be like that every now and again. Check out Seiko Oomori in the meantime! not only is she amazing, but there's a thread for her here too so you can visit and read/chat about her too!

Glathannus 2014.07.02 12:17 AM

Quote:

Hm not sure what to say this website looks like a quaint somewhat dead forum (no offense)

This community periodically rebounds from new releases and new members, either of which can stimulate more participation from older members who've already said everything they could say to each other. We're so diverse that most of our alternate interests match the alternate interests of 10 other Shiina Ringo fans at most, and more often it's 0-2 people. A lot of us are true introverts off in our own little worlds, occasionally glancing at EMF, and rarely seeing any new posts which resonate with our own personal taste. As a result, some people get more satisfaction out of direct messages than they do with posts, because they've only found one other Shiina Ringo fan with a particular alternate interest.

Quote:

I happen to come upon this forum from some google searches.

What were the search phrase(s), which led you to here?

Quote:

Recently I listened to some of her songs again and experienced the emotions and impressions I got when I listened to her for the first time.

This can happen to you every year. I go for long stretches of months without a particular era of Shiina Ringo, and when I revisit the era, I'm like a junkie who hasn't built up or maintained a tolerance. Some of the worst-recorded material is some of the most amazing after all these years.

timeframes 2014.07.02 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimh (Post 91023)
when you post enough, you get invited to the big secret party.

Oh boy, cannot wait for my invite.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonlurker (Post 91024)
Well, there's not too much going on to talk about at the moment and all the old subjects have been argued to death. :P

A place largely dedicated to one person is going to be like that every now and again. Check out Seiko Oomori in the meantime! not only is she amazing, but there's a thread for her here too so you can visit and read/chat about her too!

I am a bit late on Shiina's active years :P I'll check it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glathannus (Post 91025)
This community periodically rebounds from new releases and new members, either of which can stimulate more participation from older members who've already said everything they could say to each other. We're so diverse that most of our alternate interests match the alternate interests of 10 other Shiina Ringo fans at most, and more often it's 0-2 people. A lot of us are true introverts off in our own little worlds, occasionally glancing at EMF, and rarely seeing any new posts which resonate with our own personal taste. As a result, some people get more satisfaction out of direct messages than they do with posts, because they've only found one other Shiina Ringo fan with a particular alternate interest.

Makes sense, community has become more personal and tightknit.

Quote:

What were the search phrase(s), which led you to here?

I was looking up shirt images and found an old thread about custom made t-shirts or something similar to that.

Quote:

This can happen to you every year. I go for long stretches of months without a particular era of Shiina Ringo, and when I revisit the era, I'm like a junkie who hasn't built up or maintained a tolerance. Some of the worst-recorded material is some of the most amazing after all these years.

Hm not sure what I would consider worst-recorded. Like a bad song or a poorly recorded piece? I feel like an addict of Marunouchi Sadistic (expo version) as of recently.

zeiveen 2014.07.03 01:58 PM

:3

Hello,

My name is not zeiveen, pretty sure that this word doesn't even exist.

I'm from Brazil. Guess I've been into anime/manga world for about 20 years (I'm 24 y.o.)

But then, by the time I was 14, I was really into japanese music in general. I even had a band covering AKFG.

I don't remember actually the moment in which I started being a Ringo fan. I mean, I listened first La Salle de Bain on a YT video. I recall saying "Wow, there's so much Debussy in here, but I don't like her voice". So I listened it all over again, a few days later. And my hatred was slowly dropped. A month later I downloaded her discography and now she is my favorite artist/songwriter/performer/genius.

Guess it's been almost 4 years since that episode.

I know someday I'll be able to see her live. I saw X Japan, even though they were disbanded. Yep, I know that day will surely come.

(Sorry if there is any spelling mistake above - guess I'm rusty when it comes to writing in english).

Lena-chan 2014.07.10 06:49 AM

Do I know you?

welcome anyway

I'm from Santa Catarina,
now I'm in Floripa, but I used to live in Balneário Camboriú
so we might know each other from anime conventions

zeiveen 2014.07.10 10:22 AM

To: Lena-chan

Hey, hey, Lena-chan,

I guess we haven't met each other. I've been away from all of the anime events' scene in Brasil since 2009, or even before.

I used to live in Ribeirão Preto or Aracaju/SE back then.

And I went to Santa Catarina once, such a nice place ^_^ .

Dunno how to make a more personal contact (PM stuff) through here, though. It's been a while since I last used these kind of forums.

AngelDust 2014.09.13 03:49 AM

Hey all, I've been a Shiina Ringo fan for just a few months now.

I got into her music as I'd recently been looking to get into different music genres. After I'd played the Persona video game series and really enjoyed the J-Pop music in it, I decided to check out the genre and so I looked for a non-idol Japanese artist and found Shiina Ringo. I downloaded Shouso Strip and loved it.

I really like artists who play many genres, especially if it's in a single album. So after Shouso Strip I checked out KZK, and I was amazed, being the multi-genre masterpiece that it is. Shuukyou was enough to make me sign up!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to being involved in this forum and getting to know all of you.

zeroryouko 2014.09.25 05:02 PM

Hello everyone,

I live in Los Angeles, California and I have been a fan of Shiina Ringo since...2003, I think? I got into anime about 17 or 18 years ago in college, and I started collecting anime soundtracks and seiyuu CDs. After a while I became more interested in Japanese music for its own sake, and I searched for new, more serious musicians. I found a web site that had a clip from Sid to Hakuchuumu (the version from Mayonaka wa Junketsu) - and I thought, I have to get that CD *right now*. The rest, as they say, is history...

Nimh 2014.09.25 08:27 PM

Welcome, Angel and Zero.

bentanhankun 2014.10.08 05:47 PM

Hello!

New member here, but have been secretly admiring your forum posts from afar for years.

My name's Benjamin and I'm from Singapore yo'. Ringo/jihen fan since 2007 and counting. Also, FINALLY managed to saved enough for a ringo concert come 10 Dec, so I'm out of the peeking hole to ask if there're anyone whom I can be gig buddies for the concert! I speak a little japanese, but not enough to get me past the entrance of the arena, so help is much appreciated!! :)

(from afar)*welcome ben!*

WHY, THANK YOU!

kalmia 2014.10.08 06:18 PM

^ Welcome, dude. Have a good time at the concert. Can't make this one, but maybe she'll be doing something some other time we're both in Japan.

bentanhankun 2014.10.08 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalmia (Post 91693)
^ Welcome, dude. Have a good time at the concert. Can't make this one, but maybe she'll be doing something some other time we're both in Japan.

Thank you! :) Definitely not the last concert I'll attend if the experience is positive, and I'll keep you in mind! :)

harry4567 2014.10.30 07:51 PM

Hi, I'm Harry. I'm just another ringo fan in the world ;)

Kyogenshou 2014.12.03 10:59 PM

Hi, Rafa from Spain. First listened to her music around 2003-2004. Increased interest and admiration since then, that for the last 4-5 years became an obsession. Just came back from Japan, I went to the Nov 30th concert at Saitama Super Arena.

Inseu 2014.12.05 01:38 PM

Welcome, what do you think of her new stuff?

Kyogenshou 2014.12.05 11:06 PM

I like it! I like Hizuru Tokoro more than the selfcovers album, but none of them disapointed me. I was bit scared after Tokyo Jihen era, like... is her next stuff gonna keep the level? i think it does.

cowboydan 2014.12.20 12:52 AM

My name is JJ.

Ringo is a relatively new discovery for me. So far I really like Kalk Samen Kuri no Hana and Sanmon Gossip a lot. Marunouchi Sadistic (Expo Version) is such a killer song.
I haven't ventured into Tokyo Jihen yet, as I would like to really absorb solo Ringo much more first.

I'm really an obsessive music fan in general. I'm always buying vinyl records whenever I can afford to. Constantly finding about new music everyday, as much as possible. In the past two years or so I've been on a kick Japanese music kick. Before, I had been into Japanese rock bands Boris, Mono, Envy, Toe, Sete Star Sept, The Gerogerigegege, Hijokaiden, etc. But then I starting REALLY getting into the poppier stuff. Perfume, Capsule, Takako Minekawa, Akiko Yano, Kahimi Karie, Yukari Freshi, Hi-Posi, Zazen Boys, Tujiko Noriko, etc. so a lot of shibuya-kei and more.

I post on Perfume-City a bit but it's pretty dead over there. And I don't feel like I can relate much to the JPH!P community. I think this forum looks more like my cup of tea. Already found out about some very very great bands just lurking on here. Jun Togawa, Oomori Seiko, Mariko Goto, etc.

So basically I'm looking forward to nerding out with fellow music enthusiasts looking to expanding their vast musical knowledge.

also, I play in a couple punk bands and also have a solo project that I'd love to share with people who might also have bands themselves.

TeslaGuy 2014.12.20 06:05 AM

^Welcome! Sounds like you will fit right in here. Please don't feel reluctant to jump in and express your opinions on Ringo's and other's music. No two of us here completely agree about things, and alternative perspectives are almost always respected, though it is appreciated when you provide an explanation of the reasons behind your opinions.

blanket 2014.12.21 11:26 AM

Hi, my name is George. I've been a Shiina fan for about 2 years now.

Before then I was really into math rock and shoegaze and my love for Japanese film and music spread from there I guess.

Here are some bands I like to give you an idea of my taste (idk??)

NUMBER GIRL, Uchu Conbini, tricot, Mouse on the Keys, low-pass, Emiri Ota, Fishmans, Shonen Knife, Boris, Yapoos / Jun Togawa, Midori / Mariko Goto, Ruins, Gogo7188, Etsuko Yakushimaru / Soutaiseiriron, Passepied, Happy End, Pizzicato Five, Merzbow, The Pillows, Tentenko, Kyoko Mimura ....... ok I could go on but I'm sure you get the idea.

I'm also a really big Bjork fan.

did i do it right?

Necronopticous 2014.12.24 01:41 PM

Hi, I've been registered for a few weeks, but didn't realize it was necessary to post here since I've primarily only been lurking on the Oomori Seiko thread.

I'm only moderately into Shiina, but I have been a huge Jun Togawa fan for many years. Recently, I've been going nuts for Oomori Seiko, as I think she is the closest thing to a modern-day Togawa (moreso than actual modern-day Togawa). It seems Oomori Seiko is not very known outside of Japan yet, so I was excited to see such an active following going on here, and I'm eager to participate.

Very nice to meet you all.

deadgrandma 2014.12.24 02:24 PM

Loving all these new Togawa and Oomori fans signing up!

More to add to the Oomori Army :-p

BulletClub 2015.01.05 02:21 AM

Hey there. I actually used to lurk here frequently years back and then fell out of the loop. Checking in lately out of curiosity has actually gotten me into a few artists, and I think I'll do my best to stick around this time.

My name is Steven and I'm from Los Angeles, but I live in Japan. Shiina/Jihen started it all for me, but I have my hand in many pies as far as music goes. I'm currently really into Wakusei Abnormal and may go see them at a show in the near future. Anyway, hope to have fun with you all.

Maou 2015.01.05 09:08 AM

Welcome, BulletClub. Pleased to have you around Kenny "Steven" Omega.

Yeaoh!

BulletClub 2015.01.05 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maou (Post 93017)
Welcome, BulletClub. Pleased to have you around Kenny "Steven" Omega.

Yeaoh!

Haha, thanks and cool to see someone recognize it! Yeahoh!

deadgrandma 2015.01.05 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BulletClub (Post 93015)
I'm currently really into Wakusei Abnormal and may go see them at a show in the near future. Anyway, hope to have fun with you all.

You'll have to keep us all updated on their activity- it's kinda hard finding any info on them really.

I mean, any plans for 3rd release or have I missed out on one?

For a while there was an album listed on Amazon then it disappeared and never came back. It is like when Kominami Yasuha's Chimera first started showing up- except that it was never relisted.

BulletClub 2015.01.05 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadgrandma (Post 93025)
You'll have to keep us all updated on their activity- it's kinda hard finding any info on them really.

I mean, any plans for 3rd release or have I missed out on one?

For a while there was an album listed on Amazon then it disappeared and never came back. It is like when Kominami Yasuha's Chimera first started showing up- except that it was never relisted.

Yeah I try to keep myself pretty plugged in with them but haven't heard anything yet. There's a chance something comes up at the show, if it does I'll happily share.

Inseu 2015.01.05 09:12 PM

Welcome, keep us updated about Wakusei Abnormal.

fooltheman 2015.01.24 08:23 AM

Hello everyone.

Slowdive 2015.01.24 06:39 PM

Hey, been lurking here for years so I thought it was about time I signed up.

Inseu 2015.01.25 09:44 AM

Welcome, you will be surprised if you participate more.

Pretsy 2015.02.05 08:39 AM

I didn't introduce myself here yet? Eeeeeh...

Hello everyone, some might already recognize me/my nick through certain sites and whatnot, but I will put out a brief self-description anyway: I have been a *huge* fan of (Queen) Shiina's work since stumbling upon Jihen's "Himitsu" PV back in the day (I don't remember exactly when lol)

Anyways, looking forward to participating in this community!

Inseu 2015.02.05 10:38 AM

Welcome! I reconigze your nick from last.fm.

brnszetl 2015.04.06 12:29 AM

i am also new to this forum..

Inseu 2015.04.06 11:30 AM

Good to have you here!

Hideki 2015.05.04 10:56 AM

I've lurked here for some time in the Oomori Seiko thread, but I also love Shiina Ringo very much. I'm from Guam and happy to be here :)

zeroryouko 2015.05.04 11:01 AM

Welcome!

Inseu 2015.05.09 05:07 AM

Welcome Hideki!

Vorpax 2015.06.02 09:57 AM

Hi, I'm from Brazil and I love Ringo! Ringo, come to Brazil LOL

The Most Curious Thing 2015.06.02 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorpax (Post 94817)
Hi, I'm from Brazil and I love Ringo! Ringo, come to Brazil LOL

She's coming to the US first :hmph:

Welcome! :)