Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Introductions (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   New Members Thread (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=7)

xephyr 2014.05.14 08:28 PM

I'm not new here but I thought I'd post since I'm planning on coming around more these days. I still frequent the lastfm SR/TJ page though I don't post too often, and I'm on *grumbles*tumblr too and I'll occasionally share some new release photos or just video/audio. My main motivation is actually to find high-res scans of a photo in the Honnou release so if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great thanks

kalmia 2014.05.16 10:17 AM

I like the words of your signature, xephyr. Vocal gymnastics aren't what make a musician great. That's just a good vocalist. And most of those types are just voice.

xephyr 2014.05.16 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalmia (Post 90441)
I like the words of your signature, xephyr. Vocal gymnastics aren't what make a musician great. That's just a good vocalist. And most of those types are just voice.

Hope I'm not bursting a bubble, I meant it about instruments mostly, but I do know what you mean about vocal gymnastics. A good vocal tremolo carries a long way for most people.

incoming rant: I've been into shredders/guitar instrumentals for a while, and the accusation I hear most is how "soulless" and "robotic" it is. Not to say none of it is: there are plenty of people who are horribly boring and unstimulating, and there's a reason they're not grouped with the guitarists most people like. I think this accusation hurts when you think about applying it to any sort of music that isn't produced solely as a product to make money.

Some people may not be able to enjoy or comprehend technical music, but that doesn't mean the musician who wrote it is some sort of note-machine robot who can't blend skill with assumedly interesting composition. Personally I think emotion comes more from the composition and musical labor of a piece than hearing variations of some slow-pace 3-chord rock song with poetic lyrics and an attractive person behind it
edit: for the record this is not directed towards anyone on the forum it's a huge sweeping generalization towards casual music fans in a sense

deadgrandma 2014.05.16 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xephyr (Post 90451)
Hope I'm not bursting a bubble, I meant it about instruments mostly, but I do know what you mean about vocal gymnastics. A good vocal tremolo carries a long way for most people.

incoming rant: I've been into shredders/guitar instrumentals for a while, and the accusation I hear most is how "soulless" and "robotic" it is. Not to say none of it is: there are plenty of people who are horribly boring and unstimulating, and there's a reason they're not grouped with the guitarists most people like. I think this accusation hurts when you think about applying it to any sort of music that isn't produced solely as a product to make money.

Some people may not be able to enjoy or comprehend technical music, but that doesn't mean the musician who wrote it is some sort of note-machine robot who can't blend skill with assumedly interesting composition. Personally I think emotion comes more from the composition and musical labor of a piece than hearing variations of some slow-pace 3-chord rock song with poetic lyrics and an attractive person behind it
edit: for the record this is not directed towards anyone on the forum it's a huge sweeping generalization towards casual music fans in a sense

Technical music can carry passion too. Example in math rock:

Passionate: Converge
Robotic: tricot

kalmia 2014.05.19 04:49 PM

I think the quote works well for vocals and instruments alike. When it comes down to it, the human voice is just an instrument itself. It's texture just comes in a larger variety than most.

solarsenshi 2014.06.14 04:43 PM

Hi every one! I believe I never introduced myself here properly, though I've been a member here for some time, mostly to lurk and check the news. x3

My name is Irene and I'm Dutch, though I'm currently residing in Xiamen, China. I enjoy living in Asia and Ringo has been my favorite artist for almost 10 years now ~ (I was late to the party, and got into her at around 2004). She is one of the reasons why I wanted to come to Asia when I first had the chance, and I've been to Japan twice as well.
The first song I heard by her was Tadashii Machi ~ I prefer her solo work but I also adore Tokyo Jihen phase 1.
It's my dream to one day watch her live in concert, if I have the chance. After that I believe I can die happy ~ haha :D
My latest purchase by her was the Toutaikai DVD / CD set, which is amazing. I think her lives are often better than the recorded versions of the songs!

Parsec 2014.06.19 06:19 AM

Hello everyone, I've been lurking here a bit since getting into Shiina's music last November, but have now finally decided to sign up and start posting. I'm from Australia and like composing music and learning Japanese. See you around!

deadgrandma 2014.06.19 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parsec (Post 90921)
Hello everyone, I've been lurking here a bit since getting into Shiina's music last November, but have now finally decided to sign up and start posting. I'm from Australia and like composing music and learning Japanese. See you around!

Good to see another Aussie on here.

What part of the Great Brown Land do you reside?

I'm in Radelaide :-p

Parsec 2014.06.19 07:38 AM

I reside in Melbourne.

I once visited Adelaide with my family when I was a kid, but can't remember all that much of it. I wish I'd had enough money to fly over for the Adelaide festival the last few years, there's been some really great stuff in it..

timeframes 2014.07.01 01:33 AM

Hello, yes hi.
Hm not sure what to say this website looks like a quaint somewhat dead forum (no offense), but I happen to come upon this forum from some google searches. I've been a fan of Shiina Ringo probably for about a year now. Recently I listened to some of her songs again and experienced the emotions and impressions I got when I listened to her for the first time.
Welp that's about it. Nice to meet any of you that post from time to time?