Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Main Forum (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2021 Tokyo Jihen Full Album coming (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=2322)

thefro 2021.01.10 05:13 AM

2021 Tokyo Jihen Full Album coming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6zjFvfJYIQ

A new song ("Dark White" if Google Translate is correct) will be the theme for NHK's "Dream Team". Preview clip is on the website below

https://www.nhk.or.jp/dramatopics-bl...00/441829.html

Also, wanted to say I thought the "Ao no ID" song for Sakura that they released in November is the best song they put out last year and made me hopeful that we'll get some good stuff in 2021 from TJ.

thespidereggs 2021.01.12 09:09 AM

The new single's official English title is "Whiteout".

A few thoughts: I wonder what the theme for the album will be? I'm also wondering if this will be another compilation studio album that's compiled the several tracks they've released in the last couple months.

So far there's:
  • 赤の同盟 (Aka no Doumei)
  • 名実共に (Meijitsu Tomoni)
  • 玉座の罠 (Gyokuza no Wana)
  • 青のID (Ao no ID)
  • 命の帳 (Inochi no Tobari)
  • 闇なる白 (Yaminaru Shiro)

gekokujyo 2021.01.14 05:59 PM

I doubt the Bsides from akai no doumei will be on the album, but I guess you can never be too sure these days...

Most of the singles seem to have a colour theme going in their song titles, but then they already released "color bar" before so it'll be interesting whether this lends itself to another TV-themed album title.

Lena-chan 2021.01.16 02:23 PM

Now that nobody watches TV anymore TJ is gonna make albums themed around things you can find on youtube
starting with painting tutorials

the next albums will be about:
cats
slimes
cooking tutorials
cover versions (this will be an interesting one!)
new apartment tours/ morning routine
reactions
beauty tutorials

matan-san 2021.01.22 09:27 PM

A cover versions album will sound great, I liked all their covers so far

gekokujyo 2021.01.24 09:51 AM

Whiteout is really really good. Sounds like the best bits of Sports, especially that sick instrumental bridge near the 2min mark just before they hit the final chorus. Probably my favourite of their recent run of singles.

matan-san 2021.01.24 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gekokujyo (Post 100114)
Whiteout is really really good. Sounds like the best bits of Sports, especially that sick instrumental bridge near the 2min mark just before they hit the final chorus. Probably my favourite of their recent run of singles.

The auto-tune on Ringo's vocals kill this song for me, can't stand it. They're best new song for me is Inochi no Tobari

NCORE 2021.03.31 11:44 AM

I really don't get the autotune thing... Why?
She sounds amazing, they sound like we remember them.

Even the Uki part. :(

gekokujyo 2021.04.02 04:01 AM

they've put out so many singles now their next album might as well be a compilation lol

Lena-chan 2021.04.04 03:45 AM

I have to say I find those singles quite entertaining, considering I've been listening to them in Spotify's weekly release radar playlists (so they always come in the middle of a bunch of songs from other artists) and towards the end of the playlists I still feel TJ's songs are part of the highlights

NCORE 2021.04.04 10:22 AM

Honestly I've not been keeping up with any of it for years but I really like Ryokushu. Is it just the one song as a single though? Is that the way it's done these days - no B-side?

That still feels half-assed compared to the past but at least Ryokushu is good!

gekokujyo 2021.04.05 10:03 PM

there's another one that's a tie up, kemono no kotowari, unreleased for now..

you can listen to it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuuuE8i10bs&t=7s

matan-san 2021.04.22 02:12 PM

I saw a comment on TJ's last.fm page that the new album is due on 9th June, any confirmation for that?

gekokujyo 2021.04.22 05:37 PM

Yes.

https://kronekodow.com/gaiko/incidentstokyo_music/

New album is called "MUSIC", 13 tracks (6 are singles; 7 are new). It's a mostly Izawa album; Ringo only has 2.5 writing credits on it.

1孔雀
作詞 椎名林檎作曲 浮雲、椎名林檎
2毒味
作詞 椎名林檎作曲 亀田誠治
3紫電
作詞 椎名林檎作曲 伊澤一葉
4命の帳
作詞 椎名林檎作曲 伊澤一葉
<テレビ東京ほか ドラマパラビ「38歳バツイチ独身女がマッチングアプリをやってみた結果日記」主題歌>
5黄金比
作詞 椎名林檎作曲 浮雲
6青のID
作詞 椎名林檎作曲 椎名林檎
<映画 『さくら』 主題歌>
7闇なる白
作詞 椎名林檎作曲 伊澤一葉
<NHK総合 ドラマ10「ドリームチーム」主題歌>
8赤の同盟
作詞 椎名林檎作曲 伊澤一葉
<日本テレビ系新水曜ドラマ『私たちはどうかしている』主題歌>
9銀河民
作詞 椎名林檎作曲 浮雲、伊澤一葉
10獣の理
作詞 椎名林檎作曲 亀田誠治
<D_CIDE TRAUMEREI PROJECT テーマソング>※スマホゲーム/TVアニメ
11緑酒
作詞 椎名林檎作曲 伊澤一葉
<テレビ東京系『WBSワールドビジネスサテライト』エンディングテーマ曲>
12薬漬
作詞 椎名林檎作曲 伊澤一葉
13一服
作詞作編曲 椎名林檎

Slowdive 2021.05.12 11:30 AM

New video https://youtu.be/OS45uTF_8P0

TeslaGuy 2021.05.12 04:42 PM

東京事変 - 緑酒

Doesn't seem like embedding works anymore.

Lena-chan 2021.05.13 05:43 PM

For me it never worked after we got back in 2018

TeslaGuy 2021.05.14 04:40 PM

Hmmm, now it's there.

ChickShhh 2021.05.18 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lena-chan (Post 100140)
For me it never worked after we got back in 2018

second that

fluffiethesock 2021.06.03 05:09 AM

Looks like there will be some kind of live talk airing tomorrow on the 'tube if anyone's interested.

21:00 on June 4th (Friday)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBScDCt1IYg

deadgrandma 2021.06.04 09:53 PM

東京事変 - MUSIC

So here's a teaser, comprised of the opening track on the album, and the closer.

It's... well. Just let it speak for itself haha.

Yeah... she did drop a "MIC CHECK ONE TWO".

fluffiethesock 2021.06.05 07:47 PM

Ahh, that explains why the song seemed all over the place. I'm glad to hear it's actually two combined. Have they released the track lengths yet? I'm curious whether these are the full songs (hoping not). I like what I hear so far, although as always I could do without the autotune.

thespidereggs 2021.06.06 04:13 PM

Interesting that those are the first and last album tracks, I wonder how that bodes for the rest of the album. I personally dig it but I also totally understand the folks who aren't into the sound and autotune. I'm just grateful this album seems like a new step for the band whereas News had one foot set firmly in the past Jihen sound.
The songs remind me of Suchmos and Kirinji actually, and I'm interested to see what the other tracks sound like based on this. As someone with city pop fatigue I hope they don't veer too far into that direction (these songs are already a little borderline city pop here) but manage to do something that sounds fresh this time.

waranghira 2021.06.08 01:58 PM

I'm actually stoked for this album, more so than their 2020 (supposed Tokyo Olympic) comeback. It's just have more hooks to it. And this from only listening the 2nd track and the last song on the preview (Coke song pt.2, yeah yeah everybody here hates that even if it's a fun catchy song that used robotune stylistically).

Can't wait to listen to it in full tomorrow.

fluffiethesock 2021.06.08 07:16 PM

I may have always been a Phase 2 fanboy, but my initial impressions of this album are very positive. It's quickly becoming my favorite since Sports (and surpassing it), and it's possibly their strongest since Adult. From a performance standpoint, the band plays better together as a group than they ever have.

My only complaints are that several of the songs end too early (tracks 1, 2, 4, 12, and 13), and that the album closes awkwardly with the word "music."

deadgrandma 2021.06.08 08:00 PM

Best album in 10 years featuring Shiina Ringo

Review:

https://deadgrandmablog.wordpress.co...-ongaku-music/

fluffiethesock 2021.06.08 08:17 PM

Nice review grandma.. I agree with all but the final score :D

(but I listen to much less new music than you do, so I'm probably rating this one unnaturally high)

waranghira 2021.06.09 01:47 AM

The May 13 video/single is part of the album? Weird that they'd choose that, among the album. Felt like an extension of 2020: forgettable but satisfyingly technical composition.

matan-san 2021.06.12 12:29 AM

my fave of the new songs is 黄金比, it reminds me a bit of Omatsuri Sawagi in the chorus only with more synths

thespidereggs 2021.06.16 01:17 PM

Ongaku is surprisingly great. Their most consistent album since Adult and best overall since Sports. It has its misfires sure - Whiteout borders on inoffensive and feels like a retread of some previous Jihen tracks. But there's also an emotional resonance in songs like Inochi no Tobari and Kemono no Ri that feels missing from Ringo's recent solo releases, which can feel overly intellectual and detached. Besides, a song like Ryokushu is up there with Jihen's all-time great songs, and Kemono no Ri is Kameda's best Jihen track since Superstar.

I'm mainly impressed with Izawa here for carrying the bulk of the record. It's a treat having the band back in full force.

Stray thoughts:
  • Ougonhi is a solid track for being Ukigumo's sole contribution to the album. To echo matan-san, its chorus sounds like Omatsuri Sawagi in the best way, specifically this arrangement from Ringo's 2015 tour.
  • Ao no ID is a lot of fun - like Jiyuu-dom's bolder, badder cousin.
  • As much as I love Ryokushu, I can't help but wish Ukigumo showed some more force during the guitar solo, or at least that his guitar wasn't mixed so low in the track.
  • If the opener and closer aren't the most memorable, they do a good job of bookending the album in a cohesively satisfying way.

waranghira 2021.06.17 09:45 AM

["If the opener and closer aren't the most memorable, they do a good job of bookending the album in a cohesively satisfying way."]

THEY SHOULD HAVE EXTENDED THEM TO FULL SONGS. Get the airtime from some other songs, like the forgettable singles.

Foretaste and Breather are the undeniable banging cream of the gems for me. Both of them on repeat despite Breather being too short.

Blue Period sure is fun, but doesn't have enough hook.

["It's quickly becoming my favorite since Sports"]

But for me, Sports and Daihakken still hit more than they miss in terms of being a collection of tracks. Also, Sports has Sweet Spot. :))

(If I click the quote function, it brings be to the log-in page)

EDIT: Foretaste reminds me of Suberidai/Slide

fernan1234 2021.06.19 01:30 PM

X-posting from JPS since that board is kinda dead:

Old Jihen would have closed this album with 薬漬/Overdose.

And does anyone feel like the mastering of this album is kinda muddy/veiled?

I think 銀河民/The Galactic Man was the highlight track for me on the first listen.

deadgrandma 2021.06.19 07:52 PM

Honestly I've given up entirely on mastering when it comes to Shiina Ringo/Tokyo Jihen

It's always a shitshow.

waranghira 2021.06.20 09:23 AM

That's it. The Ringo trademark. Muddy but Sibilant.

We just need to wait for a live version where the all-powerful ear-damaged Ringo don't take part in the post-prod.

knj7qs 2021.06.20 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernan1234 (Post 100159)
X-posting from JPS since that board is kinda dead:

And does anyone feel like the mastering of this album is kinda muddy/veiled?

I think 銀河民/The Galactic Man was the highlight track for me on the first listen.

>Old Jihen would have closed this album with 薬漬/Overdose.

This! According to Sheena herself (in Liner Voice+), 一服 is supposed to serve as a sort of "bonus track" or "end roll," thanking listeners for listening to the album to its last track.

She also straight up said this song is supposed to sound like SMAP (lol) and similar idol songs. She personally would like for this song to show their recognition (and appreciation?) for the more pop-y genre of music.

fernan1234 2021.06.20 07:38 PM

Another random thought: At least no one can accuse her/them of being Japanese supremacists now that they have some Korean in their lyrics!

thespidereggs 2021.06.21 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernan1234 (Post 100164)
Another random thought: At least no one can accuse her/them of being Japanese supremacists now that they have some Korean in their lyrics!

Interesting, I speak some Korean but didn't catch that. Where did they include Korean lyrics?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernan1234 (Post 100159)

Kusurizuke would have made a fantastic closing track. New Ringo seems all about the intro/epilogue tracks which I don't mind, although I could have used a solid 10 minutes of the band jamming out on Kujaku tbh.

Besides, Ippuku is still way less jarring than Onna no Ko was on Daihakken. :P

fernan1234 2021.06.21 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thespidereggs (Post 100165)
Interesting, I speak some Korean but didn't catch that. Where did they include Korean lyrics?

In Ginga-Min

Lena-chan 2021.06.21 08:45 PM

I've been so busy lately and suddenly EMF is alive again /o/
I still have to listen to the new album >_<
maybe until the end of this week I can catch a break and listen to it to post my mini review here

waranghira 2021.06.27 10:36 PM

Do you think there's a chance they'd do a post-2012 compilation in the future? Or is it always going to include everything right from the start?

fernan1234 2021.07.01 06:47 AM

Looking at the photo book bundled with the first press CD, we can hear this album as it sounded to the band during recording by using a pair of JVC-Victor HA-MX100 monitoring headphones.
I guess this proves Victor/JVC > Sony.

deadgrandma 2021.08.06 12:56 AM

Ok for some reason the site isnt letting me make a new thread, and I dunno if anyone is around to help with that, but, for those that are interested.

On September 29, Tokyo Jihen are releasing all their full lengths (Education, Adult, Variety, Sports, Discovery, Music) on vinyl for the first time. This isn't some weird singles collection like before, but the full albums, all double LP.

Preorders are up already, I preordered all and it came to about $430 Australian including shipping. Sounds a lot but knowing what Ringo vinyl prices go for eventually, seems like it was a worthy investment.

They seem to be getting new remasters too- this is the part I'm fearful of. Remaster and Ringo never go together, but I will hold out a tiny bit of hope haha.

If Glath is still around, I wonder if he'll be buying the LPs too

Oh yeah, for the psycho fans, Jihen are also releasing their own Crosley turntable. It's a piece of shit (a 99 dollar turntable skinned with Jihen logos, with a price tag of 39,800 yen) but you know, it's there if you REALLY want it.

BanFan 2021.09.30 01:19 PM

Had their new song "Primal" on repeat for a while before realizing it's a cover. Maybe it's time to check out the new album even though it's completely unrelated to this track.

I love that now that I have instant access to all of their music, I never get around to listening to any of the new stuff. I didn't even listen to Sandokushi yet!

thespidereggs 2021.10.05 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanFan (Post 100182)
I love that now that I have instant access to all of their music, I never get around to listening to any of the new stuff. I didn't even listen to Sandokushi yet!

That's actually probably the best way to go into the albums. People who have stuck around for all the singles between albums tend not to be as satisfied because the albums compile a lot of those and it can feel less like a proper studio album. Music and Sandokushi are both worth checking out though!

FWIW you should also check out Ringo's cover of LET'S GO on the Ordinary Love tribute album, it's great stuff. Makes me wish we had a full jazz covers album from her.

deadgrandma 2021.10.22 08:41 PM

After going through the new vinyl, I can absolutely without any doubt confirm that all the albums do indeed have a new 'remaster' on them. There's some really nifty things throughout them all and a lot of thought has been put in. Reducing the volume of the hihat on Variety comes to mind haha.

There also are some really questionable things done too, like increase vocal levels on some Sports tracks when they were fine before.