Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Introductions (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   New Members Thread (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=7)

deadgrandma 2011.03.20 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtleFu (Post 72989)
I guess I should have posted here earlier.
Hi! I've actually been lurking here for a while, I only just recently made an account. I used to be into idols, but that is LONG past me. I love Shiina's music, it has completely changed my tastes. Before, I listened to Kesha and Japanese idols. Now I listen to Shiina and bands like Tegan and Sara

My opinions about Shiina are probably very contrary to what most people like.
I love Jazz Shiina more than Rock Shiina. That means I like Heisei Fuuzoku, Adult, SG, and KZK.
I don't like Shouso Strip a lot. I do like MM, though, because of its Kayoukyoku influence.
My favorite song is probably Meisai.

I like Variety, even though I feel like Shiina is a stronger songwriter than the rest of TJ. She should at least write the majority of the songs on any given album (at least one more than Izawa or Uki does), and arrange almost all of them.
I do like Izawa's songs though, like Denpa Tsuuchin, Kingyo no Hako, and Killer Tune.

Outside of Shiina, (within Japan), I like Utada Hikaru, Rie fu, Bonnie Pink. I also like Jasmine, Shimizu Shota, and Kato Miliyah.
Outside Japan, I like both Top 40 and "Indie" music.
Oh, and I'm a huge Amanda Palmer fan.

Holy shit, your Ringo tastes are EXACTLY the same except my fave song is Souretsu by SR and Pinnochio by TJ. Amanda Palmer is very cool too.

TurtleFu 2011.03.21 06:37 AM

Souretsu was mind blowing! The first time I heard it, I was listening to it in the middle of an independent study and I just started crying my eyes out!

Oh, I also love the Baishou Ecstasy versions of most KZK songs than their KZK versions.

frecklegirl 2011.04.11 06:46 AM

Welcome new members :)

xephyr 2011.05.11 09:31 AM

Hey, just discovered EMF, I've been a fan of Shiina for a few months now but I've just been sucked into listening to almost all her work more the last month or so. I'm actually kind of a metalhead, and I'm assuming most of the fans here are just Jpop/pop fans, with some people just having broad tastes. I read through a lot of the posts a couple days ago in search of PV/dvd info that wiki doesn't have and it's been helpful, thanks.

Didn't feel like bumping the old post of "listening to Utada leads to listening to Shiina": I did like Utada but only because of her song in Kingdom Hearts, which I watched my friends play years ago. I can't really remember how I came across Shiina but she's easily my favorite non-metal Japanese artist. I love that each of her new albums, whether its TJ or her solo work, has something different and she does a pretty good job at making it catchy yet distinctive from whatever big influence was behind that album (free Jazz, orchestral).

I post a lot on the SR/TJ pages on last.fm, I'm mistatwinkies there. Nice to meet you all!

justriiingo 2011.05.11 05:19 PM

Welcome on board xephyr the metalhead.

kourai 2011.06.05 02:57 AM

Well, hello!
I think I've been coming and going from this forum for a couple of years, but it's been ages since the last time I came around.
I was kind of gossiping here and there, felt a bit nostalgic and decided to *cof* retrieve my password cause I no longer remembered it *cof* and join again...

Sooo... hello!

frecklegirl 2011.06.06 06:31 AM

Welcome back kourai :)

Tokyo Jihad 2011.06.06 08:25 AM

Welcome back Kourai! I had often wondered what happened with you!

Tisheena V. Manzana 2011.06.06 09:43 AM

Welcome Back Kou♥!!!!!! So glad to see you againn

bienvenida de nuevo amiga C:

frecklegirl 2011.06.10 06:16 AM

ahhhhh and welcome back TISHEENA!!!!

Tisheena V. Manzana 2011.06.10 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frecklegirl (Post 75420)
ahhhhh and welcome back TISHEENA!!!!

thank you Sarah C: I did miss you! We used to talk a lot.
I'm always the same~~

karateexplosion 2011.07.02 10:00 PM

Participation! End of an era of lurking! Opinions go!

So I've been here just beyond the cusp of actually posting anything for quite a while, pleasantly watching the innocuous bickering from the sidelines and using EMF as my singular source of Ringo-related news since about the release of Variety, I think. Has it been that long? I could be wrong, but that sounds about right. Overdue introduction commence!

I originally got into Ringo sometime around late 2005. I only know this because I was super-pumped when I found that Adult was coming out at some point. As far as what I heard first, it's hard to say because I rarely listened to entire albums during that time. My most prominent recollection of a particular song during that time was Marunouchi Sadistic. Oh boy, I loved that number. Then I discovered more and more, culminating with the entirety of Adult, still my favorite, primacy and all. Going farther back than that, my first actual exposure to Ringo Shiina, without even realizing until years later, was a song called Siin by DJ Sharpnel that samples Tadashii Machi. Skip to 02:06 to hear what I'm talking about and avoid my former self's horrible taste in music.

A little more actually about me:
I play bass, grovel at Kameda's feet, live in Seattle, cycle, hike the beautiful Cascades, unsuccessfully went to film school and am currently developing a game for XBLA/PSN/Android/iOS/W7P with a friend based on '70s and '80s movie nostalgia, kung fu and still photography. It's gonna be terrible.
Also, my username is based off of an old Netzero commercial.
Also, run-on sentences.

OH AND BY THE WAY, way to go frecklegirl. Your site is the bee knees. Especially since I'm a big Rie fu fan as well. Many a thanks for your hard work.

Glathannus 2011.07.02 11:34 PM

A fellow member from Washington? For real?

It's about damn time.

W3iHong 2011.07.03 12:46 AM

Hory shit. It's hardo gay!

karateexplosion 2011.07.03 09:57 PM

Egads! You live a ways out from me, I'm actually in the downtown Seattle area itself. First Hill, if you know it. Camano's nice though. I'd definitely like to head out there sometime this summer. I actually used to live up in Mukilteo. Fun area, especially if you have a boat.

Glathannus 2011.07.03 10:46 PM

There's a lot of Seattle I'm still not familiar with, including First Hill.

I have a local friend with a boat, who owes me a dozen favors. Whenever we go on any rides, marijuana and German beer are usually involved - in that order. We've gone through Deception Pass all the way out to Anacortes, and there's some beautiful country out here that you'd hardly see from a ferry. He's gone as far south as Mukilteo with some of my family members, but I wasn't on the boat the time.

When you're starting in Camano, it's actually quicker to reach Coupeville by boat (even with all the time it takes to go through the Boat Launch), than to drive all the way there. We've done that a couple of times just to grab a decent burger. We'd like to take the boat to Port Townsend someday, but it would be an extremely indirect route with Whidbey between us and the outer area.

If you're ever heading to the area, let me know. ;)

karateexplosion 2011.07.03 11:03 PM

I love Coupeville. There's a retaurant there, Christopher's I think, that has hands down the best mussels I've ever had the privilege of consumining.

A friend of mine's dad used to have a boat that we'd take out all time to go crabbing/see the sights. Goddamn I love me some seafood. Really pretty area though, especially Deception Pass.

Will do though, and let me know if you ever make it down to the city as well. There's a great German pub I love in Cascade called Fierabend that has the best, dark German beer in the city. You should try it.

justriiingo 2011.07.04 05:55 AM

Shout-out to the boys in the Pacific Northwest! Used to live up in Vancouver, BC... Love Seattle though!

thespidereggs 2011.07.09 07:48 AM

Hi!

Like karateexplosion, I have also decided to come out from the shadows with the hope of actually contributing to this forum. I've been lurking on and off since about the release of Hiyori Hime, which was actually what led me to SR fandom. So I like to think I was still in the womb during the whole pre/mid/post-Variety fiasco. :p

How did I discover Shiina Ringo? I mentioned before that Hiyori Hime was the first time I had ever heard a Shiina Ringo song, but it's a longer tale. I had had a particular interest in the Japanese music scene since I discovered PUFFY's Nice. album in middle school, which looking back is probably one of the most influential albums on my current music taste/sentiment. But I hadn't really dared to venture outside of a few artists until I heard Hiyori Hime, which to this day I still consider decent, but not good, but there was something about the track that really piqued my curiosity. I liked the sound of it, even if I didn't like the song itself.

So I looked up SR and quickly downloaded what was definitely the most acclaimed of her albums, KZK. And I listened to it, but at the time I didn't get it (contrary to the present, where it's one of my all-time favorites). So she drifted in and out of my musical consciousness for a few months (I did decide to purchase SG, but that didn't do it for me either) until someone posted the Tsumi to Batsu video on Twitter, which immensely captured my fascination. I always associate one "discovery" song with my favorite musicians, and that was SR's song. After hearing that, I absolutely had to hear everything she had to say. SS the album itself finally pulled me in.

Today, SR is my favorite musician, although the Beatles are giving her a run for her money. But even then, I feel almost an emotional attachment to her early works that I feel with few other artists. As for TJ, it took me an even longer while to get into them. My earliest memory is looking them up on Youtube, watching part of the OSCA PV, quickly deciding "I don't like this," and shutting it off.

Jesus, sorry for the long introduction. @_@

frecklegirl 2011.07.10 12:13 AM

Oooh, great story! Welcome :)

s3r3nity 2011.07.11 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thespidereggs (Post 76672)
As for TJ, it took me an even longer while to get into them. My earliest memory is looking them up on Youtube, watching part of the OSCA PV, quickly deciding "I don't like this," and shutting it off.

Hahaha, I think I did the same thing actually. It was right after I found Killer Tune and I wanted something exactly like it, and even OSCA wasn't poppy or whatever enough for me.
What do you think of OSCA now? (I like it, but only in moderation :P)

thespidereggs 2011.07.11 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3r3nity (Post 76756)
Hahaha, I think I did the same thing actually. It was right after I found Killer Tune and I wanted something exactly like it, and even OSCA wasn't poppy or whatever enough for me.
What do you think of OSCA now? (I like it, but only in moderation :P)

I like it, and I think it has a killer bass line, but otherwise I'm with you. Moderation. I think it starts out pretty cool, but doesn't really go anywhere until the last minute or so, with the tempo change. It could have made a cool interludey track on the album (a la Stoicism), but regardless it's one of Variety's highlights. And despite my criticisms, it's still one of the songs that keeps me coming back to Variety. :P

Tokyo Jihad 2011.07.11 10:28 PM

I say "i Dont like this" and shut off osca and Killer Tune to this day!

The Most Curious Thing 2011.07.12 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thespidereggs (Post 76672)
My earliest memory is looking them up on Youtube, watching part of the OSCA PV, quickly deciding "I don't like this," and shutting it off.

I did the same thing three months before really digging into TJ, but the tragic thing is that I did it after watching the Himitsu PV and loving it. I guess I hated OSCA more than I loved Himitsu.

Nowadays, I'm with both of you on OSCA: moderation.

TurtleFu 2011.07.12 07:40 AM

OSCA made me fall in love with TJ. It's the first EVER TJ/SR song I heard.

Followed by Nadouteki Sanpunkan (sp?)

justriiingo 2011.07.13 05:51 AM

Hahaha. I totally get it. You're being sarcastic. Yay!

Jonny 2011.07.13 06:37 AM

Come on! Jihen made lots of stuff greatly worse than OSCA. How about... the last couple albums!

TurtleFu 2011.07.13 07:17 AM

@justriingo
I'm not being sarcastic! I really do love OSCA. I love the structure and the chord progression. Besides that, I just like the way it sounds.

karateexplosion 2011.07.15 02:34 AM

OSCA has a chord progression? I thought it was just random bass/piano fills and percussive guitar with the occasional squeaking noise from Ukigumbo.

deadgrandma 2011.07.15 03:42 AM

Don't be lame. OSCA is cool stuff. :-p

karateexplosion 2011.07.15 03:54 AM

Haha, I'm just hatin'. I like OSCA.

ron2112 2011.11.10 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtleFu (Post 76788)
OSCA made me fall in love with TJ. It's the first EVER TJ/SR song I heard.

Long-time lurker here, I don't think I've actually posted anything since introducing myself in this thread two years ago (around page 71 or so). I don't even remember to log in most of the time, I'm just here to read.

But anyway, TurtleFu, I came from exactly the same place. I heard OSCA and it was SO up my alley, I just had to find out who the heck this is. Which probably explains why Variety remains, to this day, my favorite TJ album. I know, bring on the haters. ;)

To my ears, Variety is like a musical three-ring circus. It's not the smoky nightclub of Adult, and it's not the coiled fist of Education, nor is it whatever Sports is supposed to be. (I haven't listened to Discovery enough to pigeonhole it yet, but I sure do like it more than Sports.) When I'm in a carnival kind of mood, it's Variety all the way.

One thing that's changed in the past two years is that I've definitely found my appreciation for Shiina's solo work at long last. In fact, I'd have to say Karuki Samen Kuri No Hana is my favorite of her work, even over the TJ stuff I fell in love with first. I also got very immersed in Sanmon Gossip, but ultimately went back to Karuki as my comfy musical blanket. Sanmon's a bit too schizophrenic for me to endure for a full listen.

Okay, ready for a bit of blasphemy? A few weeks ago I went through all my Shiina/TJ mp3s and changed their titles to the English equivalents, using Shiina's translations where available. Even the album titles. So Karuki is now listed as "Chlorine, Semen, Chestnut Flowers". **GASP** I know, I've never seen anyone here using the English titles ever. But I don't speak Japanese, and I just can't keep the titles straight, I'm sorry. I can't remember Torikoshi Kurou, but I can remember Over-anxiety. It just works for me, and it makes it easier for me to keep her music straight in my head, so it can't be all bad, right?

ron

TurtleFu 2011.11.10 05:11 PM

Do you use the translations (as per frecklegirl) or the transliterations from Kronekodow?

Tai-Jin 2011.11.11 05:03 AM

hello!

Been lurking for some time now, finally got around to registering. Been a Ringo addict since 2009, I just posted how I got to know her in the designated thread :)

My favorite album by Ringo is KSK and by TJ its a tie between Adult and Education...I own some stuff by her, but it is just so damn expensive to get it to the Netherlands, so I plan to save money and stock up on some CD's, Vinyl and DVD/Bluray when I go to Japan next year.

Other favorite artists are: NUMBER GIRL, Rin toshite shigure, Quruli, Maximum the Hormone and Togawa Jun, the Beatles, Radiohead, Muse, Nas etc.

Yoroshiku!

karateexplosion 2011.11.11 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron2112 (Post 79467)
Okay, ready for a bit of blasphemy? A few weeks ago I went through all my Shiina/TJ mp3s and changed their titles to the English equivalents, using Shiina's translations where available. Even the album titles. So Karuki is now listed as "Chlorine, Semen, Chestnut Flowers". **GASP** I know, I've never seen anyone here using the English titles ever. But I don't speak Japanese, and I just can't keep the titles straight, I'm sorry. I can't remember Torikoshi Kurou, but I can remember Over-anxiety. It just works for me, and it makes it easier for me to keep her music straight in my head, so it can't be all bad, right?

Get out.

Just kidding, nobody cares. Though you may have trouble keeping up occasionally since we usually refer to everything by their Japanese titles here. Anyway, welcome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron2112 (Post 79481)
Rin toshite shigure

I approve of this.:hmph:

ron2112 2011.11.11 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtleFu (Post 79470)
Do you use the translations (as per frecklegirl) or the transliterations from Kronekodow?

I've been referring to the frecklegirl pages exclusively, using the "Shiina's version" translations where provided, only because I actually didn't know about Kronekodow until you just told me about it. Not sure how I missed that in all my lurking. Bookmarked!

Comparing my titles against theirs, the only differences I see at first glance are the song titles on Karuki, which are quite different. What is the source of the Kronekodow transliterations? Are they considered "official"? Obviously, I'd prefer to use Shiina's versions whenever possible.

Oh, and I use the Pour Femme version of the Adult cover in my mp3 tags. :D

ron

ron2112 2011.11.11 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karateexplosion (Post 79483)
Get out.

*sob*

Quote:

Just kidding, nobody cares.

Whew! I thought I was going to have to leave for a moment there...

Quote:

Though you may have trouble keeping up occasionally since we usually refer to everything by their Japanese titles here.

Honestly, that was a struggle already anyway. When you guys get into a discussion of a certain track, I always have to go back to Winamp, search for it, and refresh my memory as to what tune you're talking about. Sometimes I don't even need to play it, just see what track it is on what album. But rarely am I able to say, "Oh yeah, Okonomi de, I love that tune!" (I do!) I imagine if I really focused on learning the titles phonetically I could get there, but I guess my fanaticism has not yet reached that level. :D

But now that you mention it, I will no longer have the option of going back and searching for that track, so I probably did myself a disservice in that regard. No problem, weekend project: Put the Japanese title into the Comment field of the mp3 tags. Looks like I'll be up late Saturday night!

ron

TurtleFu 2011.11.12 06:14 AM

Kronekodow is the official site of Shiina's management company. So yes, they are the most official versions.
Most of titles are played with to maintain symmetry, so Kyouiku is different, as is Variety, Sports, Adult. Dai-Hakken has no symmetry.

sylfi 2011.11.12 11:13 AM

I just realised that I never formally introduced myself on here. Might as well do so now.

I'm a senior in high school, my favorite Asian artists are Shiina Ringo (duh), Utada Hikaru, Namie Amuro, alan, BoA, Rie fu, Shimatani Hitomi, etc. Favorite Western artists are (check this) Britney Spears, Kylie Minogue, Natalia Kills, Amerie, Katy Perry, etc.

In terms of my taste in Ringo, favorite solo album is a tie between Heisei Fuuzoku and Kalk Samen Kuri no Hana. Shouso Strip is good too. I still haven't tried seriously listening to Muzai Moratorium, mostly because it's too poppy for me. Normally, I would like pop, but I really prefer my Ringo weird, which leads me to my next point: I don't really like Tokyo Jihen all that much. I enjoy Kyouiku and Dai-hakken. Sports is godawful, I haven't heard Variety at all, and Adult is kinda meh to me.

As for my favorite Ringo songs... Off of HF, I love Oiran, Kono yo no Kagiri, and the Yokushitsu/la salle de bain mashup. Also Gamble and Yume no Ato. Fuck, I just love that whole album. KSK, I really love Okonomi de, Odaiji ni, Yattsuke Shitgoto, and Souretsu.

Also, to all the SG haters, I LOVE Sanmon Gossip, so you can all jump into a ravine.

:D

Oh, and here's my last.fm for those curious: http://www.last.fm/user/windykitt

Tokyo Jihad 2011.11.12 02:41 PM

where are there SG haters?

sylfi 2011.11.12 02:55 PM

Maybe it's changed since I actually first started lurking (I only really started posting last week, I guess), but I remember that there were a CRAPLOAD of people hating on SG over a year ago or so. Even before I had registered and was just a full-time lurker.

Tai-Jin 2011.11.13 10:17 AM

Forgot it but might as well post my last.fm here as well, feel free to add me:

http://www.last.fm/user/Tai-Jin

As for SG, I really enjoy it, too bad it has some less exiting moments here and there...

Andikki 2011.11.14 11:54 PM

Quote:

... we usually refer to everything by their Japanese titles here.

Yeah, right, you acronym freaks :angry:

W3iHong 2011.11.15 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andikki (Post 79628)

I wish you guys would just spell our the japanese pronunciation in english. But I realised that it was too tedious to do it too myself. So I started using acronyms too for speed-posting:P

karateexplosion 2011.11.15 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andikki (Post 79628)

Only for album titles. :hmph:

sylfi 2011.11.15 08:20 PM

You can really only do it with album titles. If you start saying "HEY GAIZ I REALLY LOVE JWOD", people may think you're a little off.

TurtleFu 2011.11.16 07:36 AM

Or KCNJ. Or MS. Or KJ (Guess that one!)

ron2112 2011.11.16 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtleFu (Post 79706)
Or KJ (Guess that one!)

First thing that popped into my head was Kenka Joutou. (and this from the guy who complains he can't keep the Japanese titles straight)

ron

frecklegirl 2011.12.09 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron2112 (Post 79503)
I've been referring to the frecklegirl pages exclusively, using the "Shiina's version" translations where provided, only because I actually didn't know about Kronekodow until you just told me about it. Not sure how I missed that in all my lurking. Bookmarked!

Comparing my titles against theirs, the only differences I see at first glance are the song titles on Karuki, which are quite different. What is the source of the Kronekodow transliterations? Are they considered "official"? Obviously, I'd prefer to use Shiina's versions whenever possible.

Oh, and I use the Pour Femme version of the Adult cover in my mp3 tags. :D

ron

Yup, kronekodow is official, but in a lot of cases they are very stylized translations, AKA not quite so accurate/literal. And they are not always consistent, either, I've noticed. And recently they've been French, so if you don't understand that either, going from Japanese to French won't help you much in remembering titles, haha :) But they are a very good reference point for me.

Nothing wrong with using the Pour Femme version cover! I never use limited edition cover artwork in my files.

geekmichi 2011.12.17 10:02 PM

Hi everyone! I've been a Shiina fan since around 2005 and yet I'm just discovering this forum, lol.

I came here mainly to see if anyone else shares my almost FANATICAL love for all the different live versions of her songs. My outright favorite is Tsumi to Batsu from Ringo Expo 08. I just love how COLD it is in the end, and how well that contrasts with the first parts of the song which are just exploding with emotion. I get chills every time I hear/see it, and it gets me SO EXCITED. Just thinking about how amazing it is gets me excited...

The other thing I love is how different every song and every iteration is. I can keep all the albums and live rips on shuffle and NEVER get tired of it <3

Anyways, I must seem pretty crazy, lol... I am just SO excited right now because I haven't watched the Expo 08 video in a while and it's making me drop my jaw all over again.

Kuridamo 2011.12.18 12:22 PM

Hey there,

I just discovered this forum, been a fan since this spring. I started learning japanese again and one of my goals is to understand 'Ariamaru Tomi', which is my favorite song.

I just love how many styles the band has, it's also what I love about the Beatles. I hope to have some good conversations here!

frecklegirl 2011.12.18 04:32 PM

welcome! Ringo lyrics are difficult for even Japanese speakers to understand readily. Aside from complicated sentence construction, old-fashioned vocabulary, and pretty much using the most roundabout way possible to express an idea that should be simple, there's a lot of archaic character usage, reworked idiomatic phrases it's hard for anyone who's not a native speaker to recognize, and unusual/non-standard ways of writing words. I'm not sure anyone will ever reach the point of being able to just 'read' Ringo lyrics and understand them... but of course it's possible to learn enough to recognize what she does in her writing, which may be your goal. Anything more, I feel like it would be similar to wanting to learn English just so you can read Shakespeare. Or even Chaucer.

TurtleFu 2011.12.18 05:39 PM

Even my friend, who is a native Japanese, says Ringo's lyrics are not only cryptic, but almost impossible to understand without reading them. Her use of wordplay also plays on sounds, so sometimes it sounds like nonsense/gibberish anyways!

I don't know how you do your translations frecklegirl. I really appreciate what you do.

(Though, I think a lyric discussion thread would be a good idea)

Kuridamo 2011.12.19 05:23 AM

My japanese tandem partner (is that a valid term? Well she teaches me Japanese) also said the lyrics her are very hard to grasp, as well as the lyrics by Go!Go!7188. Also a great band.

Baccibloo 2012.01.06 12:49 PM

Hello there!

Ummm, hi there! I'm bacci and I've been a Ringo fan since last year (which I call the year of the ringo xD). Even though I like some of her solo stuff, I think her work is TJ is what really made me a fan sooo...

I don't know what else to say xD

red door 2012.01.07 05:01 AM

Hello:
I am tired of being a lurker so I thought I had better introduce myself.
All of my friends who are interested in Japanese music are mostly
interested in bands like Melt Banana, Nisennenmondai, Acid Mothers Temple,
Ghost, and things like that. I've tried to turn them on to Ringo,
but they just think it's some mainstream garbage. I keep saying "no no, you
you don't understand, she is really special", but they just don't see it.
I played them "Kalk Samen Kuri no Hana", but even that didn't work.
I want to start posting comments and questions with other people who
share my obsession. I guess that's all I have to say right now.
Thanks.

so_cold 2012.01.08 01:11 AM

I love Melt Banana and Nisennenmondai. You'd hope people would be able to hear how she's different to what else is in the mainstream but then she is still very pop, which not everyone is going to go for.

red door 2012.01.08 07:33 AM

I see what you are saying. I love Melt Banana and Nisennenmondai,
but I also enjoy listening to far more mainstream music. I know
not everybody is like that. Anyway, I plan to start posting some
hopefully relevant comments on various topics on the forum in the near future.
Thanks!

W3iHong 2012.01.08 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red door (Post 80691)
I see what you are saying. I love Melt Banana and Nisennenmondai,
but I also enjoy listening to far more mainstream music. I know
not everybody is like that. Anyway, I plan to start posting some
hopefully relevant comments on various topics on the forum in the near future.
Thanks!

Irrelevant comments are also welcomed :P

frecklegirl 2012.01.11 09:34 AM

First off, to established members, yes, we've moved this thread to its own subforum. This is to cut down on potential sneaky spammers who get past us by starting off posting unoffensive, bland, yet off-topic (from Ringo) stuff, and then let loose spammy stuff. This way, everyone has to establish themselves as a fan of Ringo first--then they can post throughout the forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtleFu (Post 80374)
I don't know how you do your translations frecklegirl. I really appreciate what you do.

(Though, I think a lyric discussion thread would be a good idea)

If you want to start one, go right ahead! As for me, taking on obama917 as my consultant/copy editor has been incredibly beneficial to me. He catches so many things I didn't even pick up on.

FadedSun 2012.01.17 06:43 PM

So, I'm new here! I decided to join after I found out about TJ disbanding. I'm happy to be a part of the board! My Shiina Ringo journey started with first hearing Tokyo Jihen thru a random blog I came across. I was hooked instantly. I tried to find all the music of hers that I could and absorb all of it. I'm still finding new music from her I haven't heard since coming to this board.

I'm also really into bands and artists from Japan in general. Some of my favorites are: Boris, Sparta Locals, Go!Go!7188, Toddle, Mayumi Kojima,Midori, Zazen Boyz, Number Girl,Utada, Ai Aso,Blood Thirsty Butchers, Boom Boom Satellites, Dir En Grey,Envy, Te',Mono,FLiP,Mass of the Fermenting Dregs,Melt Banana,Mongol800,Nujabes and School Food Punishment.

Sorry, I got carried away looking thru my itunes. Nice to meet you all!

TeslaGuy 2012.01.17 06:57 PM

Welcome, FadedSun!

Tinuszka 2012.02.08 04:51 AM

Hi guys out there, greetings from Romania (however, I'm actually Hungarian)! I hate introducing myself in such a way, but the time may come I would post here, so... First I've heard about SR when I was listening to Soil & Pimp Sessions’ My Foolish Heart. Took only a few seconds to start googling about her, and, I have to admit, I’ve started to dl her works… Since then, I consider SR my favourite female musician, and because of her I’ve become quite interested in Japanese culture, even learning this very interesting language. I just hope a day will come, when I will get the chance to see her live! And, of course, I've already bought a few original release...

D.K.Liu 2012.02.10 02:17 PM

Welcome to EMF, Tinuszka!

I know how you feel about the identity issue (I live in Australia, spent my childhood in South Korea, but am ethnically Chinese). In a globalized world a naive question of 'Where are you from?' doesn't bring up the complete picture.

W3iHong 2012.02.10 03:35 PM

Welcome, Tinuska!

We welcome pirates too. :P

Tinuszka 2012.02.11 02:14 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome :) There is a thing with all this pirating issue. I would probably never discover SR without yout. and file sharing community. But I always try to do my best and buy may favourites’ stuff. And I’m sure many of us proceed the same way.

TeslaGuy 2012.02.12 07:05 PM

Welcome, Tinuszka!

waranghira 2012.02.23 08:36 PM

Oops. Hi!

Made this account for some time now, only posted recently because of the disband thing.

Thanks!

dik426 2012.02.24 10:46 PM

hey,
shiina ringo fan from los angeles

Kaffeemann 2012.02.25 06:50 AM

Hey there!

Just registerd here after some lurking.
I feel the urgent need to post my opinion in the EMF best TJ song thread!:lol:

W3iHong 2012.02.25 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaffeemann (Post 81873)
Hey there!

Just registerd here after some lurking.
I feel the urgent need to post my opinion in the EMF best TJ song thread!:lol:

DO EEEEEEETZZZ

AND WELCOME!

HAVE SOME DELICIUS CAEKZ

ada1126 2012.02.27 08:37 PM

Hi everyone~ from HK!!

Kingyohime 2012.03.10 04:47 AM

Hey there EMF people, and wow am I late to this party... could I please amend that to fashionably late?

I'm a binational (EU/US) expat translator, which are really just a bunch of fancy words that make it easier to support my music habit and other nerdly pursuits.

I honestly don't know how long I've been into Ringo's music (though Honnou was the gateway drug, and heaven knows you never forget that first time), nor how I didn't end up a member of these forums way sooner, but after seeing how much overlap there was between the community here and the Shiina fanciers on Jpopsuki, I thought it was time. That and it seems like the occasional round of Ukigumo-bashing will make it easier to cope with my recent bout of Jihen withdrawal - and fun to speculate about what's next!

W3iHong 2012.03.10 11:31 PM

Jihen is over so...

Yeah probably speculations are on whether Ringo is coming back, when and with what.

frecklegirl 2012.03.11 11:21 AM

welcome!! Thanks for joining us over here! What languages do you translate?

deadgrandma 2012.03.11 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W3iHong (Post 82304)
Jihen is over so...

Yeah probably speculations are on whether Ringo is coming back, when and with what.

Duh, its her and Ayumi Hamasaki double trouble next

W3iHong 2012.03.11 08:57 PM

I would rather see Ringo collaborate with ayama japan for maximum lulz

Kingyohime 2012.03.16 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frecklegirl (Post 82318)
welcome!! Thanks for joining us over here! What languages do you translate?

Thanks kindly! I've been a frequent Nostalgic Lavendar visitor for a few years now, and your mentions of EMF also led me here.

I'm primarily a Japanese-to-English translator, with a bit of the reverse now and then (which is not my preference, being a fairly firm believer in the "translators should translate into their native languages" line of thought, but, well, it pays the bills). Some Greek <-> English now and then too, mainly medical documents and unexciting government-type stuff, although sadly my skills there are now so rusty that I'm not much good as anything other than a proofreader.

frecklegirl 2012.03.17 12:02 PM

yes, I completely agree with you there. I wouldn't be comfortable with E->J translation. @_@

jsmoove5 2012.04.10 11:19 PM

Hey all, I just realised I haven't intoduced myself yet. I have been a fan of Ringo since Sounan, realised she's the same person who sang Mayonaka Junketsu (the only SR song I've heard before via Tokyo ska paradise), and I start looking up her earlier work. Totally got me hooked.

Although I didn't really enjoy the last 3 TJ albums as much as her earlier works, I still enjoy them more than most of the mainstream stuff out there.. so, yeah..

Anyway, nice to meet you all.:)

a_grumble_cake 2012.04.11 05:21 AM

Welcome, jsmoove5! Your experience resembles my own a lot :lol:

manwonman 2012.07.21 05:34 AM

American fan in Seoul

Hello!

Born in Omaha, Nebraska, but have spent significant portions of my school life in Houston, Texas and Atlanta, Georgia, but I've been living in Seoul since 2004 and I'm a huge fan of Ringo and TJ. I have visited Japan 5 times and have particularly enjoyed Fukuoka (where Yumiko spent some time growing and transforming into the woman we have come to know and love, Ringo), where I've had the pleasure of spending the most time.

Nice to meet you all!:D

Maou 2012.07.21 11:15 AM

Welcome, manwonman!

I'm a little jealous you've been to Fukuoka. It's the one place I wanted to go to in Japan that I didn't get to. A college mate of mine went to school in Fukuoka, but I didn't meet him until after I returned to the States. I think he moved back to his hometown in Kumamoto now.

Well, hope you have a long, somewhat painless stay here at EMF.

danaersatz 2012.07.22 02:13 AM

hi I have just discovered this forum and new to this place, i became a fan since ringo no uta, and became crazy when i heard tadashii machi and shuukyou. nice to meet you all! :)

TeslaGuy 2012.07.28 07:33 PM

Welcome to you both.

Interact if you feel the slightest desire.

Enhance EMF with your thoughts.

Burma Shave

neoyume 2012.10.14 03:56 PM

Hello everyone !

First of all, I've got a shitty english (written/spoken, but I understand most of that I hear/read ) sorry.
I really try to improve my skill, I have to practice and that's one of my reasons to be here.

I'm Cédric, 25, I live in Paris, France. I'm a newly and happy freelance Graphic Designer (GraphistMan.com)

I read EMF since few years ( the ADULT era maybe )
I discovered Ringo in 2003 with the Casshern OST - STEM.
It was such a big time for me... this voice... BAM I had felt a very strange effect. Since I heard that, there was a before and an after : it's like I always was deaf before I heard her voice. A weird, but wonderfull audio-shock.

After this Ringo's Voice became my reference. Eclectic, passionnate and artistic genius within. I've quickly buy a lot of ringo's products. And today I've got my Tokyo Jihen - Ringo Collection . (I really love Central67 design.)

Even if I think that there are a lot of change since 2003 ( the voice, more treble...)
I really enjoy the evolution, I loved each style, each era.
I'm impatient to see her next work :)

Nice to meet you EMF !

Glathannus 2012.10.14 06:22 PM

You'd be surprised at how few of us were introduced to Shiina Ringo, through Casshern.

I don't know if I'd describe it like "I was deaf until I heard this", but I get what you're trying to say. The way those vocals and instruments came together, had me bewitched.

Welcome. B)

neoyume 2012.10.15 02:57 AM

"Bewitched..." I like this word !
Thanks Glathannus :)

chatenoire 2012.10.24 12:23 AM

Hello everyone and no one.

I used to be a die-hard fan of Ringo, followed her tours around Japan.
After the second phase of Tokyo Incidents, everything went on the downward spiral to me.
She is also killing me with all sorts of collaborations.

I don't want to be a drama queen, yet I feel a part of me has died.
But you know what? A lot of me doesn't give a rat's ass.

Anyway, I just want to recommend the shit out of THEE MICHELLE GUN ELEPHANT to Inseu.

Thanks for tolerating my rant.

Inseu 2012.10.24 12:21 PM

Thanks for the recommendation!

I know that feeling. I stopped listening to PJ Harvey after she released White Chalk - a bunch of boring piano songs.

"All sorts of collaborations" imo is a sign of being burned out. You try to make music for 15 years, and ensure every song is a classic. Cut her some slacks! :) "今夜はから騒ぎ" still rocks.

deadgrandma 2012.10.24 01:15 PM

Who on earth finds White Chalk boring? Sure, it may not appeal to rock heads (who missed the whole point of PJ to start with), but boring? This isn't a new Tori release...

Not to mention if you stopped listening after it, then you missed out on last year's AOTY, Let England Shake. I mean, cmon.

Inseu 2012.10.24 03:47 PM

"Boring" is a bit harsh, I should say "introspective", and that's not the direction I'm interested in. Let England Shake is alright...still a tame affair IMO.

Admittedly, I overplayed Polly's early albums in 2005, and I haven't listened to her on a regular basis ever since. My relationship with Polly is like a middle school boy's relationship with Nirvana - the boy eventually grew out of that teenage angst stuff and moved on.

Speaking of teenage angst...I still listen to early Ringo, because I had a big crush on her after watching the PV of Kabuki-chou no Joou, then all hell broke loose.

frecklegirl 2012.10.28 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manwonman (Post 83701)
Born in Omaha, Nebraska, but have spent significant portions of my school life in Houston, Texas and Atlanta, Georgia, but I've been living in Seoul since 2004 and I'm a huge fan of Ringo and TJ. I have visited Japan 5 times and have particularly enjoyed Fukuoka (where Yumiko spent some time growing and transforming into the woman we have come to know and love, Ringo), where I've had the pleasure of spending the most time.

Ha! My parents' hometown is Lincoln and I've spent a lot of time in Houston (although I hate it), so holla! I'm going to be spending New Year's in Fukuoka, so if you have any recommendations (esp a shrine to go to for hatsumoude), by all means!

Quote:

Originally Posted by chatenoire (Post 84709)
I used to be a die-hard fan of Ringo, followed her tours around Japan.
After the second phase of Tokyo Incidents, everything went on the downward spiral to me.
She is also killing me with all sorts of collaborations.

I don't want to be a drama queen, yet I feel a part of me has died.
But you know what? A lot of me doesn't give a rat's ass.

Oh, this is very interesting. You mean you were following her around Japan when she was still a solo artist? Are you Japanese or a long-term Japan resident? Well, I definitely can sympathize with you to some extent; Ringo is no longer what she was, but some songs here and there are quite good, maybe even brilliant, and probably no artist can be consistently fantastic and at some point the blaze/anger/rebellion of youth fades for everyone.

Kuroneko 2013.01.04 01:49 AM

Hello!

I've been a Ringo fan since 2003, and a non-contributing lurker since the inception of the Ringo Jihen forums.

frecklegirl 2013.01.04 04:17 AM

Haha, welcome! It's always good to see lurkers come out of the woodworks.

Kuroneko 2013.01.04 06:57 AM

Thank you, Sarah. :)

orphic okapi 2013.02.06 12:39 AM

Hi guys. I'm living in Japan right now working for the JET Program. Recently discovered Shiina and am pretty much in love. My favorites are (kinda predictably) SS and KSK, but I like the first two Tokyo Jihen albums a whole bunch too. Apart from Shiina, I like Tom Waits, Joanna Newsom, and Sufjan Stevens.

Um . . . Byoushou Public is really awesome?

orphic okapi 2013.02.06 12:51 AM

EDIT: Sorry I screwed up somehow.

TurtleFu 2013.02.06 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orphic okapi (Post 86303)
Hi guys. I'm living in Japan right now working for the JET Program. Recently discovered Shiina and am pretty much in love. My favorites are (kinda predictably) SS and KSK, but I like the first two Tokyo Jihen albums a whole bunch too. Apart from Shiina, I like Tom Waits, Joanna Newsom, and Sufjan Stevens.

Um . . . Byoushou Public is really awesome?

Yes. To everything.

Welcome home!

JunAttic 2013.03.14 02:57 AM

Hello everyone!
I'm a fan of Shiina Ringo and Tokyo Jihen since i don't remember ahaha but I don't care about it.
Well...I'm not really good at presentation,so,sorry for my bad english.