Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Introductions (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   New Members Thread (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=7)

Inaudible-Whisper 2008.11.28 03:56 AM

Welcome MortAd and pocket! Good to see some new members actually introduce themselves!

pocket, strangled hamster works quite well for most of her early solo career. As a compliment of course :P Anyway, you sound like a brilliant woman; blasting Shouso Strip, playing video games and worshipping Hirama :wub:

pocket 2008.11.28 04:46 AM

No disrespect when I mentioned the hamster, honestly I think that's the one thing that made me think "woahh" when I first heard her and started to want more.

Ohh you are too kind :wub: no-one has ever called me brilliant for playing too many video games *lol* However I'm obviously fantastic for being a rabid Hirama fangirl though. :lol:

Oiran 2008.11.28 05:11 AM

Well, I'm not exactly new in the forum cause I registered a long time ago, and I have already "participated" in some threads. Anyways, here I am xD

I'm a 20 years Spanish girl. I'm currently studying graphic design and I'm in the last year, making a final thesis or something like that XD I work as a waitress the weekends (XD) cause its really difficult to find a job of graphic design having no experience :(
I know Shiina since I had 15 and I loved SS, but I followed her seriously the last two years. I damnly love her! I hope some day I'll go to Japan to see her or Tokyo Jihen *___* I would die happy then : D
I also like other japanese groups\musicians like Base Ball Bear, Perfume, Capsule, Yuki, Chara or Hikaru Utada, but Shiina is definitely my favourite.
It's a pleasure to meet you all :D

PD: Sorry for my English ^^U

a_grumble_cake 2008.11.29 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oiran (Post 42025)
Well, I'm not exactly new in the forum cause I registered a long time ago, and I have already "participated" in some threads. Anyways, here I am xD

I'm a 20 years Spanish girl. I'm currently studying graphic design and I'm in the last year, making a final thesis or something like that XD I work as a waitress the weekends (XD) cause its really difficult to find a job of graphic design having no experience :(
I know Shiina since I had 15 and I loved SS, but I followed her seriously the last two years. I damnly love her! I hope some day I'll go to Japan to see her or Tokyo Jihen *___* I would die happy then : D
I also like other japanese groups\musicians like Base Ball Bear, Perfume, Capsule, Yuki, Chara or Hikaru Utada, but Shiina is definitely my favourite.
It's a pleasure to meet you all :D

PD: Sorry for my English ^^U

welcome!!
Why are you all apologizing for your English? Shiina Ringo never did! She brandishes her carrot with pride! :lol:

NCORE 2008.11.29 07:40 AM

Because they want to be understood

Welcome all!

pauline~ 2008.11.29 10:42 AM

Hi everyone!
I am strangely new, I was registered in the old forum (much time back) with the nickname of Ayi Ringo or something like that. I'm chilean, I'm 19 years and... uhm... I don't know, sorry for my english, greetings ;D

Glathannus 2008.11.29 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauline~ (Post 42160)
I was registered in the old forum (much time back) with the nickname of Ayi Ringo or something like that.

I remember you.

Welcome back. B)

Orenji 2008.11.29 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauline~ (Post 42160)
Hi everyone!
I am strangely new, I was registered in the old forum (much time back) with the nickname of Ayi Ringo or something like that. I'm chilean, I'm 19 years and... uhm... I don't know, sorry for my english, greetings ;D

You forgot telling everybody that you're the apple of my eye =D!!! Welcome back, Pauline, I'm happy you're here again.

(Y no tardes en crear el tema hispano, eh... Y habla mucho, pequeña Izzie xD)

Lena-chan 2008.11.29 12:07 PM

Welcome everyone

OMG pocket!!! I'm your fan *3*

I also remember the nickname ayi ringo, but don't remember your posts XD

Oiran!!! I know a place next my work that needs a graphic designer, even no-experienced... but I live in Brazil XD so it's a little far

and baaaah my english is ridiculous and none here ever get bothered with it LOL
then everyone can feel confortable here
WELCOME
/o/
\o\
\o/

pauline~ 2008.11.29 12:34 PM

I never post so much previously, but I want do it now *-*

pocket 2008.11.29 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lena-chan (Post 42176)
OMG pocket!!! I'm your fan *3*

What did I do?? :lol:

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Inaudible-Whisper 2008.11.29 02:35 PM

My attempt at learning another language in school (French) was disastrous, so I have nothing but respect for anybody that manages to speak English like you guys. Don't ever hold back because of it, you're all fully understandable and we welcome you with open arms :wub:

Jonny 2008.11.29 04:39 PM

I know that if I'd be a tad more graphic designer (like, screen design), things would be much more easy. And I think we need to install a filter in the forums so no parts like "sorry for my English" get through to the database.

TeslaGuy 2008.11.30 05:23 AM

I understand how they feel. I occasionally apologize for my poor French at another forum. I know my French is bad, but am never quite certain how poor it is because, um, because my French is bad.

Yappabass 2008.12.04 06:56 AM

Hey guys,

I guess I'm just your average 19 year old black guy who games, plays bass, and likes listening to Japanese music (among many other things.) I know a 'decent' amount of Japanese, and I'm hoping to can eventually become fluent. But enough about me.

I fell in love with SR/TJ stuff a couple weeks ago, sort of by accident. I was tryin to suggest Japanese music to my friend so I was letting him listen to stuff on my iPod. I happened to have the song "Sounan" on my iPod (not sure how it got there) and ended up looking up more of their music. By chance, the first thing I was able to find was Tokyo Jihen's 'Dynamite Out' concert, which blew me away since I usually hate the live versions of songs. I'm now in the process of listening to and collecting of TJ's albums and Shiina's solo work.

Just from reading around the forums I think I may have started backwards, as I've listened to Tokyo Jihen's Kyouiku and Adult albums like 100 million times and just actually started listening to Shiina's solo work today. I haven't been listening to all of their material for very long so I haven't gotten a chance to formulate any kind of rankings in terms of my favorite songs/ albums. So far though, Kyouiku is probably my favorite Tokyo Jihen album and I've been amazed at what I've heard from SR's solo album Karuki Zamen Kuri no Hana (did I get that right? lol)

I guess that's a long enough "Introduction" and I hope I'll be able to meet some other Shiina/TJ fans and...enrich my fandom..or something like that lol.

merman 2008.12.04 07:12 AM

Welcome!
Actually I think it wasn't bad to start with Tokyo Jihen; I discovered Ringo just after her solo career, TJ were probably formed as a regular band by that time, but not even Gunjou biyori was out by then. I liked Kyouiku a lot, I was less impressed with Adult (although I still have to say it's pretty damn good), and liked Variety in a way but always thought it's their weakest album. I thought it's going to grow on me but it really didn't have much chance, as I've always listened to SR solo more.
However you can probably appreciate them a lot more, which is a good thing... so, have a good time discovering just how great she was even before TJ! :)

justriiingo 2008.12.04 07:14 AM

Welcome to the forums Yappabass.
You're on the right track, Tokyo Jihen Phase 1 is the greatest!
Have you had the chance to watch the Electric Mole concert yet? If you liked DO, EM might just blow you away. ;)

Ringo~Bingo 2008.12.04 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justriiingo (Post 42505)
EM might just blow you away. ;)

It'll do more than that!! it will alter how you view life in general :hmph: you'll think to yourself afterwards 'how did life even mean anything before that' :lol:

(probably)

Anyway, welcome to the forums!:)

ShinjiPG 2008.12.04 10:02 AM

Welcome to the forums Yappabass.
Nice introduction :)

frecklegirl 2008.12.05 02:37 PM

Welcome everyone :)

bromithia 2008.12.05 09:20 PM

New members! Woooo!

evilBOXevil 2008.12.15 06:00 PM

Oh hello...

I used to come here a long time ago.
I doubt anyone remembers me- but I came back just now.

Tokyo Jihad 2008.12.15 06:05 PM

I dont remember you.

evilBOXevil 2008.12.15 06:09 PM

Thank you, Jihad.
I knew that you would make me feel wlecome again.

fluffiethesock 2008.12.15 09:06 PM

I think I sent you a virus after you dissed Phase 2 on Last.fm, evilBox. :p

Glathannus 2008.12.15 09:33 PM

Quote:

"evilBOXevil is not a member of any public groups"
This simply means there aren't Social Groups people can join or quit at-will.
Is that a problem?

evilBOXevil 2008.12.16 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glathannus (Post 43119)
This simply means there aren't Social Groups people can join or quit at-will.
Is that a problem?

Not a problem at all. I just like the sound of it. It fits to my life very well.

Lena-chan 2008.12.16 06:26 AM

hi evil o/
we missed you
now that you're back maybe SR could do good music again ~3~

Br4d 2008.12.23 08:51 PM

hi Im brad

im a big time lurker and a small time talker, sorry for that. But im gonna try to be active and talk :hmph: (is this guy holding his head?)

I enjoy a lot of different type of music, I live in texas, im asian, im 21, i play the guitar, i fly, i eat, i sleep, i poop, and currently my wisdom teeth hurt.

but besides that. um.

this forum is awesome. i love Ringo sama

fluffiethesock 2008.12.23 10:05 PM

Hahah, please continue to post :B

ShinjiPG 2008.12.24 03:11 AM

Welcome! :D

Ringo~Bingo 2008.12.24 05:30 AM

Yeah, hi Br4d welcome!

Lena-chan 2008.12.26 04:36 AM

best introduction ever
welcome
/o/

Whisle 2008.12.29 05:10 PM

Hello i'm Marco , 22, from Germany and i've been listening to Shiina's music since about 2003. Back then a friend was quoting an anime (Chobits) and some people found it funny - i didn't understand the joke back then, asked him about it and he sent me the scene. There was some music involved in that scene that i liked so he sent me more of the music - my first contact with japanese music so to say. One song he sent me later that day was identity which is, in fact, still one of my favorite songs ever.

In my freetime i mostly play videogames and listen to music. Besides Shiina there is TJ, The Seatbelts, Perfume, Love Psychedelico, Utada, Witches, Yuko Ando and the like. Of course i listen to non-japanese music too - mostly metal, folk rock and indie.

I like to run regularly but recently it's been too cold and i don't have the cloths to run in the winter. I don't go out that often - i'm a pretty shy person.

Ringo~Bingo 2008.12.29 05:12 PM

Welcome to the forum Marco.:)

frecklegirl 2008.12.29 07:24 PM

Haha, from Chobits to Ringo is quite a stretch! At first I thought you were going to say you heard Ringo in a Chobits episode and I was about to scratch my head because I certainly didn't remember that! hahaha.

riskyfish 2008.12.30 05:43 PM

I guess I should say something. (I'm not sure what.)

I've listened to Ringo-hime for a good while; I recall really getting into her music around the time TJ started up/Kyouiku was released. I always liked how (for lack of a better word) spunky she was at first ("Honnou" was the first song I heard of hers), but then I came to the realization that her music was so great because of how varied and original it was.

In truth I'm rather boring, and I feel even worse as a total "n00b." I like to draw and write, listen to music and surf the Internet. I also tend to be very picky about spelling and grammar on the web, I guess... so my posts and ramblings get a little long and uninteresting.

However, I'll do my best to be a helpful, productive and friendly member of the forum. Good day to you all. :3

Inaudible-Whisper 2008.12.30 06:47 PM

Welcome Whisle and riskyfish! :)

fluffiethesock 2008.12.30 07:23 PM

Hey kids, welcome to the forum!

ecogazoo 2009.02.20 04:26 PM

Hi EMF, I have been lurking here for a couple of months, taking in the info & opinions. I first heard of SR in early 2007, but started to really "get it" in November 2008. I'm still in the process of swallowing her whole catalog. Yum! :D

SR is the first artist in the Internet Age who has compelled me to buy the retail product. I already have everything (that I know of) Ringo on file, and most of the audio is lossless...but I still feel the need to have the original Japanese product. I have an immediate question about one product...Shoujo Robot...and I will ask it in the appropriate thread.

My hat is off to EMF as a very good resource, and also to Frecklegirl whose lyric site is really helpful & entertaining.

Glathannus 2009.02.20 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecogazoo (Post 46122)
Hi EMF, I have been lurking here for a couple of months, taking in the info & opinions. I first heard of SR in early 2007, but started to really "get it" in November 2008. I'm still in the process of swallowing her whole catalog. Yum! :D

I saw you lurking, and was wondering if you were ever going to post. Honestly I don't think anyone else who has finally posted, had ever pre-lurked more intensely than you have. You can take that as an insult or a compliment, but I'm telling you, ya broke some kind of EMF record.

Quote:

SR is the first artist in the Internet Age who has compelled me to buy the retail product. I already have everything (that I know of) Ringo on file, and most of the audio is lossless...but I still feel the need to have the original Japanese product.

From an Exact Audio Copy standpoint, most peoples' lossless rips are 'wrong' anyhow (including many rips performed with EAC itself if the CD owner doesn't know what they are doing), so being able to rip something yourself is always great.

Quote:

My hat is off to EMF as a very good resource, and also to Frecklegirl whose lyric site is really helpful & entertaining.

She is also one of our admins, and doesn't use her powers when people go to war with her (and they will) over whose subjectively-produced translation is the best. She's about as much a contributor here as she is at her translations website, and it's nice to see someone giving her props, because not everyone does.

ecogazoo 2009.02.20 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glathannus (Post 46125)
I don't think anyone else who has finally posted, had ever pre-lurked more intensely than you have.

I figured that might draw some attention, but most of that time was spent in a background tab I while I did something else or didn't turn the PC off. On the other hand, I have read through almost every Shiina-related thread. Haven't spent much time in the lounge, though.

Glathannus 2009.02.20 05:20 PM

I don't presume to know how long you left each page/tab open, and know how long you stared at each one versus how long they remained open. I just noticed that you had gone almost everywhere outside of the EMF Lounge, and most lurkers are more selective than that. They look for one piece of info, they post a question out of nowhere about it if they can't find it, then they're gone.

Contrary to a few of the "forgive my n00bishness" remarks I've seen from people lately, we older members don't look down on newer members if we believe you are actually crawling out of your shell. And it sounds like that's what your are aiming to do, so...

Welcome to EMF. B)

kurarisa 2009.03.25 07:41 PM

Well hello, my name is Risa, 22, living and studying Fine Arts in Los Angeles. I'm straight as an arrow but Shiina definately tends to seduce me to the other team. I think she's an absolute genius, not to mention how amazed I am that she started her career so young. I have too many favorite songs but Stem, Sid to Hakuchuumu and Aozora will always mean something special to me (regardless how many times she performs Stem).

Other than Shiina, I love Radiohead and L'Arc~en~Ciel as well as Ken Hirai, Salyu, Namie Amuro, RIP SLYME, etc.

fluffiethesock 2009.03.25 08:19 PM

Personality aside, your avatar is beautiful, so you should keep posting here. :B

kurarisa 2009.03.25 09:34 PM

Thank you! I painted it actually (watercolor)

frecklegirl 2009.03.25 10:05 PM

Ooh, another Ringo artist! Awesome :) Welcome, kurarisa!

Also welcome--I am kind of late here, sorry--riskyfish (what a great name!!!) and ecogazoo; thank you for the compliments on my site! Also thanks Glath XD although I'm trying to stay away from going to war over translations (or anything) anymore!

merman 2009.03.26 01:32 AM

Kurarisa, welcome! Could you possibly upload that picture in a higher resolution somewhere? :)

Oiran 2009.03.26 02:24 AM

Ohh, kurarisa! Nice fanart! :)
Are you in Deviantart? I think I've seen this picture before...

ShinjiPG 2009.03.26 03:29 AM

I thought you were a guy Kurarisa. It says "Male" in your profile.
Welcome (again), regardless.

fluffiethesock 2009.03.26 04:00 AM

Mmm, this is good stuff.

(I hope you don't mind me linking that, risa)

wilson 2009.03.26 05:12 AM

welcome Kurarisa, love your avatar. Nice Paint! ;)

kurarisa 2009.03.26 07:03 AM

Thanks for the compliments guys! (fixed my gender Shinji, thanks haha, and nah I don't mind fluffie.. are there nicknames I should be referring you guys as?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by merman (Post 48291)
Kurarisa, welcome! Could you possibly upload that picture in a higher resolution somewhere? :)

Here you go

Inaudible-Whisper 2009.03.26 07:10 AM

Beautiful work! Welcome to the forum :)

merman 2009.03.26 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurarisa (Post 48311)

Thanks!
Checked out the DA page fluffie posted and I liked the bridge (a bit reminding of impressionism and that's good) and the red thread picture :)

Glathannus 2009.03.26 08:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I like this DeviantArt contribution from kurarisa better, and I am by no means a L'Arc~En~Ciel fanboy.

Attachment 3115

Anyway, welcome to the community!

kurarisa 2009.03.26 11:08 AM

Haha, thanks Glathannus

Lena-chan 2009.03.26 01:09 PM

I'm almost a laruku fangirl
I must say that I looooooooooooooove how you draw/paint
and that I eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenvy yooooooooooooooooou soooooooo muuuuuuuuuuuuuch >_<

welcome btw /o/

so_cold 2009.03.29 03:34 PM

kurarisa, your avatar's beautiful!

I should say hi here, despite having made a couple of crap posts already.

I was born in '78 same as polite old lady Ringo, I'm from London and like photography and films (just got a DVD of Sakuran to watch...) I lived in provincial Japan for a year and can speak a little Japanese but not enough not to be indebted to Frecklegirl's translations (thank you!)

At that time I just knew and liked Kyoto Jazz Massive, Shibuya-kei and Utada Hikaru. But since I saw La Salle de Bain last year it was love. I'm actually getting worried about my addiction to her songwriting style, it's like I'm trying to concentrate on work but I can't because I've got Hatsukoi Shoujo playing in my head and I'm in heaven. This is the first time I've ever wanted to join a music forum before, and I particularly like the Currently Listening To... thread because I would always give time to the music of other SR/TJ fans because her own tastes are so intelligent and diverse. She's also got me composing for kicks again for the first time since I was in school.

Sorry, this is an essay, I'll just finally say 1) I love EXPO, I think it's wonderful to finally have an artist I love have crowds in the thousands for once and a big celebration :wub: and 2) I promise I don't only do gushing posts like this...

wilson 2009.03.29 09:37 PM

Welcome SO_COLD!

no, don't worry your post isn't so long :P. it's an original presentation! :)
you're very lucky to understand her lyrics.
I love too Utada, so once again Welcome here

(sorry for my poor english ^^)

merman 2009.03.30 01:50 AM

And you should post more, so_cold!

a_grumble_cake 2009.03.30 02:23 AM

welcome, so_cold!
you should do gushing posts MORE.

ShinjiPG 2009.03.30 03:08 AM

Welcome So_Cold, even tho I think I talked to you before ahah.
Anyway, yeah, post more.

so_cold 2009.03.30 05:44 AM

Thanks everyone! I guess I meant gushing as in saying everything's wonderful as much as being lengthy, LOL I should make a post about Variety... Oh and I'm a male, I forgot to say that...

And for Wilson: yes Utada's great, her voice always makes me catch my breath. I'd guess my favourite of hers is Letters and I recently got Ultra Blue (do you like the new album?) Always had a soft spot for her because Automatic was the first Japanese song I ever voluntarily sang (at karaoke), my conversation class was forced to sing an enka song in a choir in front of people and I don't enjoy that sort of thing very much!

[Belated edit: Shinji, I really liked the Ringo Menu video you made, repped +1.]

bucklemyshoe 2009.04.01 11:20 AM

wow, how do i only have 1 post in this forum?

anyway, hello everyone. i love shiina ringo. (i even play i-no, her video game incarnation)

my current favorite song of hers is Rakujitsu. (I saw it live on a recent DVD and just fell in love with it)

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjIe3tKVWm4

fluffiethesock 2009.04.01 05:47 PM

Welcome, buckle-requester! Yeah, that is a great performance. I think I'll always like the one from JCHI best though.

Maou 2009.04.01 05:51 PM

Rakujitsu from JCHI is definitely one of the best Tokyo Jihen performances. Ringo's guitar really enhances the song.

bucklemyshoe 2009.04.01 06:44 PM

Anyone have a youtube link to it?

I've only seen 2 Tokyo Jihen performances. Dynamite In? (Out? the one where they're all wearing green) and some live festival that there was torrent floating around of.

fluffiethesock 2009.04.01 06:55 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKyP0mNRW20

bucklemyshoe 2009.04.01 10:45 PM

that was simply wonderful, do you happen to also have a link to wear I can buy it?

Glathannus 2009.04.02 02:44 AM

Fluffy's link comes from the tail-end of Just Can't Help It (much of which plays out like a series of PVs even though it's a concert DVD). You will find links there for different international sellers, and many of those links are actually... ahem.. non-affiliate. We prefer to make informed decisions around here not necessarily on price (service can be more important to a few people), but sometimes just on availability - like when a product quietly goes out-of-print and begins to disappear, it's nice to have a central gathering of links to alternate vendors who might still have the product in stock.

You may notice there is somewhat of a stigma around here against retailers/branches based outside of Japan. The succesfull retailers from Hong Kong (like Play-Asia or YesAsia) all have affiliate programs, they almost always charge more than the native Japanese stores, they tend to ship out new Japanese CDs/DVDs more slowly, more of their older offerings are backorder-only, their expectations are less realistic about which of their backorders will truly be available, and they are generally looked at more like resellers (middlemen in the darkest sense of the word) than retailers.

We have a great deal of respect for resellers (like Otaku) who actually keep older or rarer items in-stock, and only list out or offer the products they truly have on-hand. Hong Kong hasn't exactly enriched the world in that way, when it comes to original Japanese products. If you want to catch up on the out-of-prints, or be one of the first nonJapanese folks to get their hands on an upcoming release - you pretty much have to order from Japan, and not flinch at the delivery costs.

ShinjiPG 2009.04.02 02:57 AM

I don't really know if it was your point, but you gave a somewhat bad image of YesAsia, Glath :o

Glathannus 2009.04.02 04:07 AM

Well, the first thing he posted was a link to Play-Asia. The only thing I like about them is they actually give you your money back, when you find out how much of a joke their availability is (I've had that experience with videogame-related goods). So I'm not trying to paint this picture of "YesAsia dreams up all of these diabolically evil schemes". If they actually kept an extensive Japanese inventory (not just a listing - but an actual real inventory), I'd be giving them props, but no sellers in Hong Kong really do that (unless bootlegs and sample copies on eBay actually count).

What's really messy is the few Hong Kong eBay sellers who actually stock anything old and legitimate, are often also selling illegitimate stuff in other listings, and the untrained eye doesn't know which stuff is which, so from what you can gather from their feedback, everything must be legit or everything must be fake. On that basis, chances are you dismiss the few good opportunities out of fear of getting sucked into a bad opportunity. Or you're just a huge sucker who gets lucky sometimes.

When you try to buy Japanese goods from Hong Kong, you don't know what you're getting (in the case of samples/counterfeits on eBay or second-press at Play-Asia or YesAsia), if you're getting it, or when you're getting it. Comparing that to the Direct-from-Japan Experience is like comparing witchcraft to science. It's the difference of hoping versus knowing. If you're a big fan of certainty (I know I am), then there's not a lot of great things you can say about buying Japanese goods from Hong Kong. It's an overrated phenomenon in other communities about Japanese music, and this guy was perpetuating it the moment he first started posting here. I blame the all-too-rampant affiliate program more than I'd blame his own personal preference of where he might choose to buy from.

I'm just pointing him (I'm assuming it's a him) to a good example of vendor linking and implying that if he wants to do us any favors, any linking he supplies us with ought be more than just affiliate-only. I noticed that the English-speaking Ayumi Hamasaki forums were linking exclusively to YesAsia before, but that after CD Japan introduced their own affiliate program, that community started linking to CD Japan instead (when they could be linking to both). As a matter of credibility, why can't someone just link to a vendor like HMV Japan, or post non-affiliate links to CD Japan or YesAsia? That's the kind of credibility most EMFers have, and if bucklemyshoe wants to be welcomed as an equal, they should conduct themselves the same way.

The only official affiliate linking at EMF (at the beginning of every Product thread) is to help fund the community. Affilate links are not the only official links, nor are they covertly-affiliate like Play-Asia links. That's the example to follow. If you want to link to only one seller, don't be a douche about it.

I guess the cat's out of the bag now.

ShinjiPG 2009.04.02 04:36 AM

Oh, sorry 'bout that. I didn't notice his link for the new Ringo single at Play-Asia was actually an affiliate link. That's not very nice bucklemyshoe... I actually got suspicious when the very first (or second) post he made after joining was a simple link to an e-store, but kinda dismissed it as just a coincidence.

But just to make one thing clear about YesAsia, I'd like to say that even tho the prices are higher than the original japanese price, they become cheaper if you consider the free shipping that they offer, whereas if you buy them directly from Japan, the shipping cost usually brings a total payment of more than whatever price YesAsia tagged the product with. Long story short, items at YesAsia are usually indirectly cheaper than buying from japanese sellers.
This matter aside, the rest you mentioned is mostly true.

Oh, and welcome bucklemyshoe =)

bucklemyshoe 2009.04.02 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glathannus (Post 48758)
last 2 posts

Hey now, I don't think it's accurate to bash on play-asia so much. I've shopped at yesasia and cdjapan as well. I've found that play-asia is the most reliable and often quickest. Although you say you never know which version of something you're going to get, that's not true either. They always give product details and the information always matches.

You mentioned my personal prefernce might take the backseat and what you said might be the case with some but you're wrong about me. It usually goes play-asia > yesasia > ebay > cdjapan > wherever else I can find it. (based off personal experince)

lastly i don't understand your somewhat of a gripe with affiliate links. to tell you the truth i'm completely opposite, i think it's good to click on other peoples links. i rather do so if i have the choice. not only does it help some one else out without doing anything extra on my end but it also increases awareness of new products and sales. (which in term help the foriegn music, movie, and game scenes) if you're going to buy something anyway, then why not?

i guess i should have clearly stated it was an affiliate link?

@ShinjiPG

It's true that often things at yesasia are cheaper when considering the free shipping. The only thing that really isn't is their video game collection, for some reason they love to go beyond overpricing that field.

Glathannus 2009.04.02 01:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bucklemyshoe (Post 48790)
Hey now, I don't think it's accurate to bash on play-asia so much. I've shopped at yesasia and cdjapan as well. I've found that play-asia is the most reliable and often quickest. Although you say you never know which version of something you're going to get, that's not true either. They always give product details and the information always matches.

You mentioned my personal prefernce might take the backseat and what you said might be the case with some but you're wrong about me. It usually goes play-asia > yesasia > ebay > cdjapan > wherever else I can find it. (based off personal experince)

lastly i don't understand your somewhat of a gripe with affiliate links. to tell you the truth i'm completely opposite, i think it's good to click on other peoples links. i rather do so if i have the choice. not only does it help some one else out without doing anything extra on my end but it also increases awareness of new products and sales. (which in term help the foriegn music, movie, and game scenes) if you're going to buy something anyway, then why not?

i guess i should have clearly stated it was an affiliate link?

Let's use Ringo EXPO 08 as an example of knowing (or not knowing) what you are getting. Are they offering first-press or are they offering second-press? Let's take a look at the details...

Attachment 3130

Well, that doesn't really tell us which version Play-Asia has on-hand (though their "Usually ships within 5-15 days" near the top of the page tells me they don't have it on-hand at all), and I've never heard of any vendors being able to backorder first-press... Usually the only way a vendor offers first-press is they get it in-stock on the release date, they sell it until they run out, and that is the extent of the first-press copies they will ever offer. So unless the publisher has the most excessive first-press manufacturing run ever, it might be safe to assume that if Play-Asia has to backorder - you are going to get second-press. Play-Asia isn't even telling us that there are different pressings.

I also find it very interesting that Neowing (an actual Japanese retailer) is mentioned, as well as "Lightbox 2.0 by Lakesh Dhakar". Seriously?! Is Play-Asia even using the Lightbox that Neowing has?

It should also be mentioned that Neowing is the Japanese-language version of CD Japan (which is the English-language version - they are basically two different faces of the same company). So why would Play-Asia be quoting Neowing? Perhaps because Play-Asia has no direct association with any Japanese record labels, and Play-Asia simply.. resells from Neowing...

If we knew for a fact that Play-Asia was reselling goods from Neowing, then not only could we look at Neowing to know which pressing Play-Asia is going to backorder, but we also have to ask ourselves... Why not just cut out the middleman, and order directly from CD Japan? I would be especially suspicious about possible reselling, if Play-Asia won't list a Japanese CD/DVD before Neowing will (aside from the fact that everything is a backorder). Like there was a Yoko Kanno CD that Amazon or HMV or Tower Records listed out weeks before Neowing, but Play-Asia didn't list it until the CD has already shown up on Neowing...

When a "Limited" edition has its own separate catalog number from the regular edition - sure, Play-Asia is going to tell you it's a Limited item. That's no different than what YesAsia and all of the native Japanese retailers do. I'm talking about first and second pressings. Different packagings that have the same catalog number and the same price, with perks offered to buyers on a first-come, first-served basis. For a reseller that likes to quote Neowing (whether or not Neowing is their source of the actual discs) including a Lightbox that Play-Asia doesn't even use, you would think they'd have no problem being able to declare "First-Press Available" or "First-Press Sold-Out".

Also, there's this little flash animation that loads on every product page, saying that Play-Asia has a 8.98 rating on "resellerratings.com". Hmmmm... RESELLER ratings. How many more indications would anyone need, in order to believe that Play-Asia is anything but a first-generation hoarder/retailer of Japanese CDs?

So tell me something.
How can "Usually ships within 5-15 days" be the quickest, or among the quickest? Even if you lived in Hong Kong right nextdoor to Play-Asia, I would think you could still get your hands on something days sooner from any of the native Japanese retailers, because Play-Asia can't make a profit in the reselling business if they paid for anywhere near the fastest possible shipping from Japan. Play-Asia probably goes through a weekly batch-backordering process for everything their customers placed an order on. How could Play-Asia ever be the last buying frontier for music that is on the verge of disappearing? As much as I like to rag on YesAsia sometimes, at least they actually have Ringo EXPO 08 in-stock right now. It's not very old. Does Play-Asia know about some risk of radioactive exposure to their owner/employees from having factory-wrapped Japanese music in their warehouse for too long?

Because YesAsia keeps at least some kind of an inventory of Shiina Ringo items, that gives them the credibility to be a recommended 'retailer' at EMF. Play-Asia only does backordering, it's the slowest backorders for basically the same base price as YesAsia charges for items already on-hand (or offers with faster backordering), and Play-Asia always charges you something for shipping no matter how slow you want to go. Suppose you want to pay for EMS - what does that effectively get you? Yes, I want to wait a week or two before Play-Asia has the item, then I want to pay a premium for the goods to travel super-fast the rest of the way? What kind of option is that?

So to add insult to all of that injury, Play-Asia has one of the most stealthy (which could be construed as dishonest) affiliate-linking systems in the world. So not only aren't you informing us about the fastest seller or even the cheapest seller, or somebody with a rarities hoard that might go overlooked and remain intact while competitors empty out on the same product, but now you're covertly standing to make a commission if we take you seriously about the one seller you've directed our attention toward. How am I not supposed to think that commissions were your motivation for singling out Play-Asia? What other motivation could you possibly have?

I would like to believe you have the best of intentions here (because you are a fellow Shiina Ringo fan), but you're a little bit off the scale of my Benefit Of The Doubt meter.

bucklemyshoe 2009.04.02 01:50 PM

you say all this about play-asia and while i've never looked that detailed into things because all that really matters to me is that i get what i order. i've used them a lot and haven't had bad experience. If I'm worried about a first press or limited edition then I'll get it form somewhere that clearly states that's what it is.

I'm going to post this as an example, the most recent order I've received from them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by actual tracking info
Mar 27, 2009 15:43:00 US MANTECA DELIVERED Signed by: Location: MET CUST MAN Mar 27, 2009 07:46:00 US STOCKTON OUT FOR DELIVERY Mar 27, 2009 07:37:00 US STOCKTON ARRIVAL SCAN Mar 27, 2009 06:37:00 US MATHER DEPARTURE SCAN Mar 27, 2009 04:50:00 US MATHER LOCATION SCAN Mar 27, 2009 04:33:00 US MATHER OUT FOR DELIVERY Mar 27, 2009 04:01:00 US MATHER ARRIVAL SCAN Mar 27, 2009 02:44:00 US ONTARIO DEPARTURE SCAN Mar 27, 2009 00:38:00 US ONTARIO LOCATION SCAN Mar 27, 2009 00:13:00 US ONTARIO IMPORT SCAN Mar 27, 2009 00:07:00 US ONTARIO IMPORT SCAN Mar 27, 2009 00:04:00 US ONTARIO IMPORT SCAN Mar 26, 2009 23:45:00 HK CHEK LAP KOK DEPARTURE SCAN Mar 26, 2009 23:37:00 US ONTARIO ARRIVAL SCAN Mar 26, 2009 21:00:00 US LOS ANGELES ARRIVAL SCAN Mar 26, 2009 20:49:00 HK CHEK LAP KOK ORIGIN SCAN Mar 26, 2009 20:49:00 HK CHEK LAP KOK EXPORT SCAN Mar 26, 2009 20:17:00 US LOS ANGELES DEPARTURE SCAN Mar 26, 2009 18:08:00 HK KWAI CHUNG PICKUP SCAN Mar 26, 2009 04:22:38 HK BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

I'd say 1 day to me is fast shipping. yesasia has never shipped that fast to me and they have a warehouse in san fransisco. I didn't pay for 1 day shipping either.

In my experince again (I actually shop there a lot) when things usually say within 5-15 days they're shipped out within 3 days.

I'm not trying to be all pro play-asia or anything but you've put me in a corner and I have to say the way things are. At least for me, sounds like maybe you had a bad experince and harbor some sort of resentment because of it?

Glathannus 2009.04.02 02:13 PM

My bad (but not terrible) experience was I tried to order a Special Edition copy of Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - a Japanese RPG. I searched all over the web, and no sellers claimed to have new copies of the North American release - except Play-Asia. That was after a lot of searching. So here I'm thinking, "Yes!! SCORE! I've uncovered a treasure trove of overlooked gems!". I place my first-ever order with Play-Asia, and find out not only don't they have the item on-hand, but they can't obtain it either. That should have been obvious, but... I wasn't as cynical back then as I am today.

In Play-Asia's defense, they really did give me my money back. When you find out that YesAsia can't obtain something for you, they keep your money as store credit.

The betrayed expectation after so much searching for this game I was very interested in, crushed my spirit - that's all. If Play-Asia is a reseller of most/everything they offer, then their 'availability' claims are merely secondhand information. Sometimes CD Japan could get it wrong (even as a first-generation seller). Everyone makes mistakes, but being a reseller - Play-Asia is more prone to falsely-declared availability than any of the retailers based in Japan. You simply have a habit of pursuing the particular items that don't disappear. I make no attempt to hide that I am an elitist bastard, so pretty much most of the things I want are disappearing as we speak, and if Play-Asia is ever going to be wrong about anything, I'm one of those pricks who would find out the hard way more often than any other aspiring buyers.

I'm all out of steam about Play-Asia here. You've made your case, I've made mine, we seem to have different buying strategies, and I should have a more welcoming attitude.

bucklemyshoe 2009.04.02 02:31 PM

I'm an SMT fan too. I know Nocturne has been reprinted now but I can imagine you being fairly upset about thinking you were going to get it and then not. I had to search high and low for months before I could find an affordable copy of Digital Devil Saga. Then when I got it (off ebay) it was covered in stupid gamestop stickers (on the deluxe box) not shown in the auction and I was pissed. They reprinted the normal editon that now too :)

Glathannus 2009.04.02 03:42 PM

I didn't discover SMT until after Nocturne was 'gone', but before Digital Devil Saga came out (and I have since then procured a new copy of Nocturne Special Edition). So I've mostly kept up with the SMT collecting ever since. I pre-ordered both halves of Digital Devil Saga as they were coming out, so I got the box to hold them together, plus I have both of the bonus soundtracks and a controller skin. Just so I could be all smug, I recently watched an eBay auction for both halves of Digital Devil Saga together, factory-sealed. It closed for $180. I didn't actually open Digital Devil Saga to play it, until a month or two ago - even though I've had it all these years, and still have my EB Games receipts somewhere.

I've put about 70 hours into Part 1, my characters are all around Level 91, I am right before the final boss, and two of my characters have the standard/nonquesting Mantra Grid entirely maxed out, and a third character is almost-maxed. What I've done for the last couple hours I've played, is side-questing to unlock bonus sections of the Mantra Grid. I'm a few more hours away from completing that - then I am starting a new cycle of Part 1 so I can redo/replace the storyline decisions I made on my first playthrough, because I originally wasn't powergaming in preparation of Part 2. I'm also looking forward to fighting the Demi-Fiend from Nocturne, which some people say is more difficult than attaining the True Demon Ending in Nocturne.

SMT really is an awesome series, and Nocturne is one of the greatest RPGs I have ever played. It's better than anything Square has made in the last 10 years. My only gripe about Nocturne is how you have to throw old abilities away to learn new ones, but it's nothing I can't handle.

You might be happy to know I'm not the only SMT fanatic in this community. There's also Maou. Maybe now there's enough of us to warrant an SMT thread that would actually have more than just two people talking back and forth.

Also, if you hate what GameStop does with their used games - then you might loathe them to a whole new level for how their retail chains treat the 'unused' games they keep on-hand. There's nothing wrong with how they handle new games you purchase online, but their walk-in retail experience makes me feel so violated.

bucklemyshoe 2009.04.02 04:21 PM

Is Nocturne your favorite in the series? DDS used to be my favorite but once Persona 3 came out that changed. I hated the localization of P3 though, I play the undub while the original just sits in it's pretty little box on my shelf. Currently I'm working on the undub of 4 (about 25 hours in) and have been stuck in the middle of Devil Summoner for about a year.

Sera is still my favorite character though. I absolutely love her concept and design.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glathannus (Post 48829)

Also, if you hate what GameStop does with their used games - then you might loathe them to a whole new level for how their retail chains treat the 'unused' games they keep on-hand. There's nothing wrong with how they handle new games you purchase online, but their walk-in retail experience makes me feel so violated.

Yea their whole deal about giving you an opened copy as new is bullshit but I still think their used game manner is worst. The last time I bought a used game there they went out of their way to tape the case closed and put in the bag just so I wouldn't have a chance to look at the bottom of the disc. (of course I opened it up and checked right there. I said something to the guy working there but really it's not his fault that he has to do that)

Glathannus 2009.04.02 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucklemyshoe (Post 48835)
{I} have been stuck in the middle of Devil Summoner for about a year.

Same here, and I've orchestrated some of the most outrageous no-weakness demons possible. I think I even have a Thoth (this monkey that absorbs basically everything - except they are weak against physical) with Phys Resist. I don't even remember much anymore about where I'm stuck, or how I got there, or remember what the storyline wanted from me next. Something about a west military base I've never been to, with soldiers blocking it off from every possible angle (including the rivers). Even if I were to jump into an FAQ, I wouldn't know where to look for details on the particular part of the game I'm stuck in. It's really quite depressing because I take pride in finishing most of the things I start - especially RPGs. I'm probably supposed to talk to a character in some remote and not-recently-relevant neighborhood I've had easy and fruitless access to for the last several chapters. I hate it when RPGs do that, and Omikron is the worst in that way.

Lena-chan 2009.04.17 01:08 PM

welcome Simon
you're posting a lot
I like it (I like newbies that come here to stay, and not just to post 4 or 5 times and go away forever o.o)
welcome /o/

Simon 2009.04.17 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lena-chan (Post 50198)
welcome Simon
you're posting a lot

Aw yay. I officially have no life. :lol:

Thanks, nice person who shares my mother's name! I can't believe someone posted about me here before I posted myself. Hahaha.

justriiingo 2009.04.18 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon (Post 50205)
Aw yay. I officially have no life. :lol:

Thanks, nice person who shares my mother's name! I can't believe someone posted about me here before I posted myself. Hahaha.

Hi Simon. Welcome to the forums.
I'm a polite old lady who's hard of seeing. Could you please increase your font size? Grazie!

ShinjiPG 2009.04.18 03:05 AM

Thanks for mentioning that JR :x

ChickShhh 2009.04.18 03:44 AM

Perhaps the big font should come back. :)

Simon 2009.04.18 04:18 AM

It's not that I'm giving in to peer pressure or anything. I just have a soft spot for Italian ladies with bad eye sight.

:angry:

justriiingo 2009.04.18 06:10 AM

Thank you Simon! I appreciate that!

*takes reading glasses off*

ShinjiPG 2009.04.18 06:11 AM

Italian =)

Masuku 2009.04.18 11:28 AM

Well people can make the font bigger by themselfs from the tools/settings/wtv from somewhere at the server's menu :'D

But welcome Simon!
you already have posted half the amount of my posts and i joined Jan 07.. you'll beat me in no time

frecklegirl 2009.04.18 12:39 PM

Are you even still in Milan, JR? I thought you were moving around everywhere!

justriiingo 2009.04.18 02:03 PM

Yup I'm doing my exchange in Milan, and doing what all exchangers do - partying and travelling. :D

s3r3nity 2009.04.18 02:06 PM

I found my way to this site through Frecklegirl's lyrics page. My first SR/TJ song was Killer Tune, and it remains my favorite TJ song. I'm throughouly enjoying my journey into Shiina Ringo!

justriiingo 2009.04.18 02:10 PM

Hi s3r3nity, welcome to the forums.
You have a long way to go if your favourite song is killer tune. Go listen to Tsumi to Batsu already. :)

s3r3nity 2009.04.18 02:55 PM

Ah, it's not my favorite Shiina song by any means! Just my favorite Jihen!
My favorite Shiina song...would be hard to chose. There's only a few I'm really familiar with so far. The first one I really got into was Marunouchi. The one I'm most into now is Rinnie Highlight.

Edit: First Shiina song was actually La Salle de Bain, I sometimes forget it's a Shiina song. :x

Renko 2009.04.19 02:42 PM

Hi! I'm Renko, I'm spanish and i've been a fan for a few years now. I think my first Shiina song was Honnou, and I instantly fell in love with her.
I've been visiting this forum for a couple months, but now I decided to start posting! Sorry if I make any mistake, I'm not very good at english >_<

ShinjiPG 2009.04.19 03:16 PM

Perfectly understandable english from a foreign <3
Perfectly correct uppercase/lowercase usage <3
Perfectly good use of commas and full stop marks <3
Perfectly cute smiley at the end <3

I salute you mister. Welcome to EMF! =)

bromithia 2009.04.19 04:55 PM

I don't think you love that post enough

ShinjiPG 2009.04.19 05:15 PM

I find your lack of full stops disturbing.