Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Introductions (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   New Members Thread (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=7)

bromithia 2009.04.19 05:48 PM

I find your ugly face very ugly.

Happy?

TeslaGuy 2009.04.19 09:06 PM

I find your lack of lozenges◊, interrobangs and asterisms disturbing.

Simon 2009.04.20 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justriiingo (Post 50335)
Thank you Simon! I appreciate that!

*takes reading glasses off*

*eats your glasses*

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masuku (Post 50378)
welcome Simon!
you already have posted half the amount of my posts and i joined Jan 07.. you'll beat me in no time

Thanks! And don't worry, it's not a contest :D

Lena-chan 2009.04.20 09:25 AM

yey
new members
/o/
\o\
welcome everyone
omg why does shinji suddenly is full of love?

Masuku 2009.04.20 12:58 PM

Thanks! And don't worry, it's not a contest :D[/quote]

no oh i was just wondering beetween the lines how i should maybe be more active here, and not just stalk what others blab blab :D

Arabesque 2009.05.11 05:07 PM

This seems to be a thread pertaining to my interests

whats up guys

Lena-chan 2009.05.12 03:58 AM

hey o/
welcome

a_grumble_cake 2009.05.12 06:44 AM

hi Arabesque!

ron2112 2009.05.12 03:57 PM

Hi folks! New member here, I just discovered Tokyo Jihen this past year and I think they're awesome. I haven't gotten into Shiina's solo stuff yet but I'm sure I will in time. Right now my favorite of the three albums is Variety, but I love all three for their own reasons.

I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I do an occasional podcast about the music I enjoy, and my most recent episode focused on Japanese music. I played two TJ tracks, maybe you'd get a kick out of it. I even tried to speak a little Japanese!

http://www.the-mosi.net/podcast.htm

So anyway, if you check it out let me know what you think.

I'm still finding my way around here, but I think I get how it works. I look forward to following up a few leads on where to buy TJ vids (check the Reviews thread, got it). It doesn't look like Society of the Citizens or Spa & Treatment are available yet...? Hopefully when they are they'll be available in Region 1 or 0, though judging from the other DVDs I've seen it doesn't look very hopeful. Too bad, I'd pay top dollar for an official DVD-quality version of this...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxBl4XpyVPA

Anyway, that's my introduction. I look forward to meeting many of you in the forums!

EDIT: Man, I just checked out the pictures thread... apparently I should have disclosed the fact that I am an OLD GUY! All you young whipper-snappers around here, makin' me feel ancient and stuff.

Ron Moses

Inaudible-Whisper 2009.05.12 05:10 PM

Welcome Arabesque. I'm a big fan of 'All About Lily Chou-Chou'. I really should watch it again.

Hey Ron2112 (Rush are awesome). Glad to see you're enjoying Jihen. You should have great fun discovering Shiina's solo works. You'll find that the vast, vast majority prefer her solo works so if you can appreciate Jihen you have a lot of awesome listening ahead! When it comes to live shows, Dynamite Out and Electric Mole are the obvious recommendations. Electric Mole may be a solo show but it fully features Tokyo Jihen and it might be an interesting place to be introduced to some of her solo work if the albums are intially putting you off (as your podcast indicates -- yes, I'm listening :p Quite enjoying it thus far!). You're not the only "old guy" here either, don't worry. Stick around!

zarya 2009.05.12 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron2112 (Post 53298)
I'm still finding my way around here, but I think I get how it works. I look forward to following up a few leads on where to buy TJ vids (check the Reviews thread, got it). It doesn't look like Society of the Citizens or Spa & Treatment are available yet...? Hopefully when they are they'll be available in Region 1 or 0, though judging from the other DVDs I've seen it doesn't look very hopeful. Too bad, I'd pay top dollar for an official DVD-quality version of this...!

Welcome to EMF!

Actually, all their DVDs available are region 0 :D And only one Shiina Ringo DVD is not, so we're lucky that way, to be able to buy and watch their DVDs without the need for region-free players or gimmicks. If you have doubts or want to confirm the region on any DVD, just ask in the products threads. We have information that's waaay more reliable than what the resellers tell you.

Glathannus 2009.05.12 06:37 PM

Quote:

Man, I just checked out the pictures thread... apparently I should have disclosed the fact that I am an OLD GUY! All you young whipper-snappers around here, makin' me feel ancient and stuff.

I don't think there is anything about Tokyo Jihen that specifically attracts younger fans. When it comes to the age of fans outside of Japan, you can blame the nature of the internet more than the nature of Tokyo Jihen. Most people your age are not as technologically and multi-culturally connected as you are. We youngins around here actually have a lot of respect for our older members (older from a date-of-birth standpoint - not a membership standpoint), because you tend to be more familiar with older music that Shiina Ringo is also more familiar with than us, and our interests are not exclusive to new/hip/trendy music. Shiina Ringo is sort of a bridge between the west of decades ago with the east of decades ago, so a lot of us like to talk about and listen to her influences.

We'll try not to make you feel younger than us when we reflect on our years of being acquainted with Shiina Ringo's history inside and outside of Tokyo Jihen. :P

TeslaGuy 2009.05.12 08:10 PM

Quote:

Man, I just checked out the pictures thread... apparently I should have disclosed the fact that I am an OLD GUY! All you young whipper-snappers around here, makin' me feel ancient and stuff.

To quote Frank Lloyd Wright: "Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old."

And you are a month older than my little brother, who is almost five years younger than me.:D

justriiingo 2009.05.12 10:57 PM

welcome to EMF ron :)

Quote:

Right now my favorite of the three albums is Variety,

hey fluffie, your best friend just came!

merman 2009.05.13 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justriiingo (Post 53341)
hey fluffie, your best friend just came!

And your arch-enemy :D:D

ron2112 2009.05.13 10:38 AM

Thanks for all your warm welcomes! Seems like this is going to be a fun place.

So yeah... I'm getting the impression that Variety is not much-loved among the fanbase, is that correct? That's okay, if I was a trend-follower I wouldn't be listening to TJ in the first place! ;) Honestly my favorite varies as my mood shifts. If I'm in the mood for something jazzier, definitely Adult. Something more rough-edged, Education. Those three albums are so distinct, it's easy to pick the one I'm in the mood for at any moment.

I haven't heard enough Shiina solo stuff to judge it as a whole, but I get the impression from what I've heard that it tends to be more... what's the word I'm looking for... mainstream? Accessible? I'm not sure either of those are right. For the most part, my tastes run more towards progressive rock and what you might call "out there" music... Zappa is a big favorite, as are Yes, King Crimson, etc. So I get the sense that TJ leans closer to those directions than her solo work does. (They sound like a Japanese Mr. Bungle at times.) Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure.

Thanks for all the advice on the videos... complicated stuff, I guess. And thank you, Inaudible-Whisper, for giving my podcast a listen! I'm glad you found it enjoyable.

So I guess I have to ask... where should a person of my tastes start in regards to Shiina's solo work?

Ron Moses

ShinjiPG 2009.05.13 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron2112 (Post 53398)
So I guess I have to ask... where should a person of my tastes start in regards to Shiina's solo work?

It's hard to say, for me, but I guess Karuki Zamen Kuri no Hana, or KZK, will really give you another perspective over her solo work (if you haven't heard it already). It's similar to Adult, in the sense that it mainly blends Jazz with Rock (in a broad sense), but it's also so much more, as you will feel it's not that easy to label it with a genre.
Well, that's my opinion... but I don't really know any of the bands you mentioned, and the ones you played at your podcast don't give me a precise direction lol.

PS - Currently listening to the Sakanaction portion of your podcast. Really good! Never heard of them :o

merman 2009.05.13 11:51 AM

Yes, definitely Karuki Zaamen Kuri no Hana if you like stuff that's "out there". It's probably the most "out there" record that could still be called pop music :D
Tokyo Jihen are much more straightforward than her solo work tends to be, there's a band sound to it whereas she experimented more with her solo stuff, so there's a good chance you'll like that better.

ron2112 2009.05.14 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merman (Post 53405)
Tokyo Jihen are much more straightforward than her solo work tends to be

Obviously I'm basing this on very little experience, so I'm probably full of crap, and feel free to tell me so. This is all first impression -- in other words, things I'm going to be embarrassed to have written six months from now.
:D

But as I'm listening to samples from Karuki Zaamen Kuri no Hana, it seems like the solo work is more sonically adventurous, whereas the TJ stuff is more musically adventurous. The KZK material I'm listening to is amazingly dense with all sorts of wonderful sounds, but beneath it all is a tendency toward very simple melodies. Of course, simple melodies -- almost childlike at times -- are a big part of both Shiina's and TJ's appeal, but to my ears, the solo work raises the stakes by enveloping those melodies in these incredible soundscapes, whereas TJ raises the stakes by tweaking out the melodies a few extra degrees, and keeping the presentation relatively straightforward.

For example, I'm listening to Yattsuke Shigoto. Great tune! There's really not much to the composition itself, but all these cartoony flourishes throughout the track elevate it well above a simple pop song. I can't imagine it working acoustically, but in its recorded form it's a wonderful listen.

Compare this to a track like Keshou Naoshi. Sonically, it's far simpler than Yattsuke Shigoto. But musically, the melody and chord progression are considerably more intricate. This is where I hear the difference between the solo work and the TJ stuff. Neither is inherently superior to the other, but they're different approaches, and which you prefer depends on where you're coming from as a listener.

Of course these are isolated examples, and as I said, only a first impression of what I'm hearing. I like it, though, a lot. I'll be purchasing this later today. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Ron Moses

merman 2009.05.14 05:13 AM

I never thought of it that way, so I can't say whether I agree or not, but you DO have a point! Good post.
By the way, why don't you listen to the original version of Yattsuke Shigoto? You could then confirm or deny for yourself how it translates in a more conventional arrangement.

Yattsuke Shigoto from Zecchoushuu

pariscombo 2009.05.14 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron2112 (Post 53476)
Obviously I'm basing this on very little experience, so I'm probably full of crap, and feel free to tell me so. This is all first impression -- in other words, things I'm going to be embarrassed to have written six months from now.
:D

But as I'm listening to samples from Karuki Zaamen Kuri no Hana, it seems like the solo work is more sonically adventurous, whereas the TJ stuff is more musically adventurous. The KZK material I'm listening to is amazingly dense with all sorts of wonderful sounds, but beneath it all is a tendency toward very simple melodies. Of course, simple melodies -- almost childlike at times -- are a big part of both Shiina's and TJ's appeal, but to my ears, the solo work raises the stakes by enveloping those melodies in these incredible soundscapes, whereas TJ raises the stakes by tweaking out the melodies a few extra degrees, and keeping the presentation relatively straightforward.

For example, I'm listening to Yattsuke Shigoto. Great tune! There's really not much to the composition itself, but all these cartoony flourishes throughout the track elevate it well above a simple pop song. I can't imagine it working acoustically, but in its recorded form it's a wonderful listen.

Compare this to a track like Keshou Naoshi. Sonically, it's far simpler than Yattsuke Shigoto. But musically, the melody and chord progression are considerably more intricate. This is where I hear the difference between the solo work and the TJ stuff. Neither is inherently superior to the other, but they're different approaches, and which you prefer depends on where you're coming from as a listener.

Of course these are isolated examples, and as I said, only a first impression of what I'm hearing. I like it, though, a lot. I'll be purchasing this later today. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Ron Moses

In some point you are lucky that you have tons of stuffs to listen and watch in the future.

Welcome to forum.

ron2112 2009.05.14 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pariscombo (Post 53504)
In some point you are lucky that you have tons of stuffs to listen and watch in the future.

Welcome to forum.

Thank you, I'm kinda feeling the same way about it. :D

Ron Moses

nayth 2009.05.19 06:33 AM

Hello folks from all over the world, I a new member here, though I wander around for quite some time now. I currently live in Japan that is a good plus !
I can consider myself a big big shiina ringo fan as I followed since the year 2000 or something. I think her greatest work must have been around electric mole and dynamite out, I think this statement really tells in which side of the fans I am, still I can enjoy some phase 2 tracks...

I have two questions in particular,
1 - wasn't there a fanart thread in some old 'picture section' ? cos' as a ringo-fanatic and a painter I would have loved to show some of my pieces :)

2 - and do you know what happened to the website that hosted the translated lyric of Ringo's song ? because I failed to save them before it got down or something -_-

yup, nice to meet ya all !

merman 2009.05.19 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nayth (Post 54021)
2 - and do you know what happened to the website that hosted the translated lyric of Ringo's song ? because I failed to save them before it got down or something -_-

If you mean frecklegirl's Nostalgic Lavender, then that's here now:
http://www.nostalgic-lavender.net/ringo/
Welcome to the forums! :)

Lena-chan 2009.05.20 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nayth (Post 54021)
I think her greatest work must have been around electric mole and dynamite out

yey
welcome
/o/

elekipomme 2009.05.22 12:02 AM

Hi! I'm Ri. I've been a fan for about a month now (such a newbie :unsure: ) My violin teacher played in the orchestra for Ringo Expo '08, so that was when I started to get interested. Then one of my friends recommended me (more like nagged me :P) to start listening to her.

And here I am. :D

I'm completely in love with the way she composes her songs, the double meanings in her kanji (Hey, I'm Japanese, and some I don't even understand, lol) and her lyrics are amazing. Of course, the music is flawless as well. I'm hoping to get into Tokyo Jihen as well sometime. :D

なので、
よろぴく!www

ShinjiPG 2009.05.22 01:48 AM

Your english is perfect.
You are nominated as EMF's official japanese to english translator, by me.
Just joking.
But a little bit serious.
Actually, 70% serious.
Make it 90%.

And it's awesome that your violin teacher played at the Ringo Expo orchestra.

Welcome.

Lena-chan 2009.05.22 04:01 AM

welcome! your english is really good °o°

a_grumble_cake 2009.05.22 04:40 AM

Hi Ri! welcome!
I always wonder what "wwwwwwwww" means. I see it all the time in youtube/nicovideo comments.

ShinjiPG 2009.05.22 05:18 AM

It's the japanese equivalent to "lol".
Wait, I saw that on week-a-peedia, so it's bound to be wrong.
Use google.

elekipomme 2009.05.22 07:04 AM

Thanks guys!
It's just that I've been in international schools since kindergarten - that's why my English is good.

www is like O(≧∇≦)O. It's hard to explain but I often use it when I'm happy about something or being nice.

frecklegirl 2009.05.22 11:29 AM

Shinji, I'm not EMF's official translator, nor do I even want to be. If I was, I'd be posting links to my translations in all the first posts of Product Reviews threads next to the tracklists, as if they were the "official EMF, sponsored by Freckle's site" translation.

But I'm not, even though Glath told me I could and I turned him down. Wonder why?

Hint: It has to do with not being arrogant.

And let's drop the wikipedia thing already. You need to learn to let things GO.

fluffiethesock 2009.05.22 12:47 PM

Welcome, new guys / gals!
Ron, I'm looking forward to hearing you speak more about Variety... positive remarks about that album are a breath of fresh air. :B

bromithia 2009.05.22 03:46 PM

pariscombo 2009.05.22 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake (Post 54295)
Hi Ri! welcome!
I always wonder what "wwwwwwwww" means. I see it all the time in youtube/nicovideo comments.

笑い(laugh) -> warai -> w
wwwwwwwww-> warai warai warai warai warai warai warai warai warai

nayth 2009.05.25 02:14 PM

merman > thanks for the website :D

fluffiethesock 2009.05.25 05:53 PM

merman is greater than most types of thanks!

merman 2009.05.26 01:42 AM

LOL :D
you're welcome :)

Scribble R 2009.05.27 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elekipomme (Post 54266)
Hi! I'm Ri. I've been a fan for about a month now (such a newbie :unsure: ) My violin teacher played in the orchestra for Ringo Expo '08, so that was when I started to get interested. Then one of my friends recommended me (more like nagged me :P) to start listening to her.

And here I am. :D

I'm completely in love with the way she composes her songs, the double meanings in her kanji (Hey, I'm Japanese, and some I don't even understand, lol) and her lyrics are amazing. Of course, the music is flawless as well. I'm hoping to get into Tokyo Jihen as well sometime. :D

なので、
よろぴく!www

Wow, so you're like, the closest person to Shiina Ringo here. VIP treatment.

Simon 2009.05.29 01:30 PM

It's funny how it's so refreshing to have a Japanese person on board. You feel somewhat less of a nerd! Hahaha.

Mint 2009.06.04 01:24 AM

Hey everyone~ I'm not actually a new member (evident by my join date), but I never properly introduced myself (or posted much at all) and for some unknown reason decided to do so... today.. at this very moment. :D! I do, however, post on the SR LJ community, which is (if any of you are on there) probably where you guys would better know me... (lady_holymelon don't make fun of my LJ name). I'll just go by Mint for now.

I don't remember how long I've been a Ringo/TJ fan, but the most important thing is that I am one, right :)? I do collect her CDS, DVDS, and occasional magazines with her in it, so I can probably provide scans :P. Anywho, thought I'd just drop a hello before I start posting on threads.

Thank you and good night ^_^! I love you all~

justriiingo 2009.06.04 01:58 AM

I hope your introduction will inspire other lurkers to come out of the closet.
Welcome to EMF!

a_grumble_cake 2009.06.04 04:06 AM

I recognize you! Hi lady_holymelon :)
welcome!

ShinjiPG 2009.06.04 04:36 AM

Welcome! You are just in time for the new album discussions, which have actually already started xD
It's nice of you to decide to start posting :)

Glathannus 2009.06.04 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mint (Post 55931)
Hey everyone~ I'm not actually a new member (evident by my join date), but I never properly introduced myself (or posted much at all) and for some unknown reason decided to do so... today.. at this very moment. :D! I do, however, post on the SR LJ community, which is (if any of you are on there) probably where you guys would better know me... (lady_holymelon don't make fun of my LJ name). I'll just go by Mint for now.

I lurk at LiveJournal a few days per year, and I was hoping you (not just anyone over there) would eventually start posting over here.

Quote:

I don't remember how long I've been a Ringo/TJ fan, but the most important thing is that I am one, right :)?

You could be not-the-most-enthusiastic fan, but as long as you have the courage to say what you believe and the thoughtfulness to be constructive about it, that's more important to the rest of us than whether or not you love everything Shiina Ringo has ever touched.

Quote:

I do collect her CDS, DVDS, and occasional magazines with her in it, so I can probably provide scans :P.

Our respect for you isn't dependent on the things we see LiveJournal members constantly asking for. Have you noticed a distinct lack of scans around here? That's no accident. It's your words that we're much more interested in. We're intellectuals first, then leechers third, fourth, fifth, or never. :P

Quote:

Anywho, thought I'd just drop a hello before I start posting on threads.

I look forward to that. :)

Mint 2009.06.04 01:26 PM

^_^ thanks all for the warm introductions~

a_grumble_cake! I recognize you too XD and your amusing icon... hello.

@glathannus: " I was hoping you (not just anyone over there) would eventually start posting over here" (ok so apparently I'm still a newbie at this so I don't really get the quotes), but aww ^_^ thanks~ "intellectuals" darn I was hoping I wouldn't need to use my brain over the summer (I kid). I'll definite throw my personal opinion on some of the stuff :P See you on the forums then.

Osiris12345 2009.06.04 01:30 PM

Welcome to the community, Mint!

ShinjiPG 2009.06.04 03:02 PM

Hey!Hey!Hey! Where did you get the awesome Ringo fanart that you use as an avatar? :)

Mint 2009.06.04 03:17 PM

http://tinypic.com/r/2100pqb/5 for full picture. And I got it from http://taipeijihen.blogspot.com/ which I believe is a Taiwan band.. inspired by Tokyo Jihen and Shiina Ringo (My Chinese is way too limited for me to read all they post, but they do a lot of covers of SR/TJ music). It's pretty neat though huh :D

Ringo~Bingo 2009.06.04 03:19 PM

That picture is awesome! :o

By the way, Welcome! :wub:

ShinjiPG 2009.06.04 03:25 PM

Inspired or on the verge of plagiarised :D
But the art is awesome, thanks!

Mint 2009.06.04 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG (Post 56018)
Inspired or on the verge of plagiarised :D

Well judging by the Kanji in the picture and in their blog, I'm pretty they give a lot of credit to them XD! Because if they were copying, there'd be a lot of angry people :D . And you're welcome~

BanFan 2009.06.19 08:37 AM

Sort of new here, so I'll introduce myself.

I'm BanFan (or Brian), and I tend to forum hop.

I've been a Shiina Ringo fan since late 2002, when I stumbled upon the "Identity" music video, and haven't lost interest in her since. I was really into Jpop from 2002 to 2006, but a friend got me into Björk and since then I've gradually ditched all but a few Jpop acts (Shiina Ringo, Tokyo Jihen, the brilliant green, Amuro Namie and UA) for mostly indie stuff.

a_grumble_cake 2009.06.20 03:22 AM

Hi Brian! welcome.
I think being a fan since 2002 sort of makes you part of the old guard, at least in the the English fan base. How did you just stumble upon the Identity PV back then? Watching stuff online was a nightmare of grainy vids and endless buffering.

Lena-chan 2009.06.20 06:25 AM

I thought you were a DAI or a tomiko fan because your nick XD

welcome btw
/o/

s3r3nity 2009.06.20 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glathannus (Post 55944)
You could be not-the-most-enthusiastic fan, but as long as you have the courage to say what you believe and the thoughtfulness to be constructive about it, that's more important to the rest of us than whether or not you love everything Shiina Ringo has ever touched.

Our respect for you isn't dependent on the things we see LiveJournal members constantly asking for. Have you noticed a distinct lack of scans around here? That's no accident. It's your words that we're much more interested in. We're intellectuals first, then leechers third, fourth, fifth, or never. :P

Included in this post are some of the many reasons I am in love with this forum. :wub:

JonnoJ 2009.06.22 03:27 AM

Long time lurker, but my Ringo addiction has been growing so much in the past few months I wanna start posting lol. Shiina fan since 2005ish I think, first song was Remote Controller (weird place to start lol). Heard KZKH and was hooked immediately, one of the greatest albums I've ever heard.

justriiingo 2009.06.22 03:30 AM

somebody likes la cryma christi.
welcome to emf! please start posting in other threads as well!

JonnoJ 2009.06.22 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justriiingo (Post 57740)
somebody likes la cryma christi.
welcome to emf! please start posting in other threads as well!

Lol, did in 2007 when I registered, think I've overplayed them and killed any love for them since. Who'd I have to PM to change to username?
And will do :)

a_grumble_cake 2009.06.22 04:14 AM

ooh I just assumed your name was Christy. wroooong.

justriiingo 2009.06.22 04:17 AM

yeah, Jrock/viskei is long dead anyway...
you should probably contact Glath for stuff like that.

Glathannus 2009.06.22 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justriiingo (Post 57756)
you should probably contact Glath for stuff like that.

Administrators can do name-changes. Don't underestimate them.

frecklegirl 2009.06.22 10:37 AM

Yeah, if you want your name changed, just PM me.

chibijelly 2009.06.22 01:42 PM

Hey guys. My name's Sam - and I'm now officially posting here, haha. I've lurked for a long time and then finally caved and got an account last month.

a_grumble_cake 2009.06.22 01:49 PM

Hi Sam!
don't be discouraged because of all the recent drama. People here occasionally like to bicker like an old married couple.

chibijelly 2009.06.22 02:06 PM

Hey! I know you from ONTD. :) Nice seeing you here.

All the bickering makes me bawww, okay. D: I'll try to get over it, though. Promise.

a_grumble_cake 2009.06.22 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chibijelly (Post 57948)
Hey! I know you from ONTD. :)

lol! that's a first. Awesome.

chibijelly 2009.06.22 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake (Post 57952)
lol! that's a first. Awesome.

Zac Efron Death Note posts... lol those icons. :D

a_grumble_cake 2009.06.22 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chibijelly (Post 57956)
Zac Efron Death Note posts... lol those icons. :D

chibijelly 2009.06.22 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake (Post 57960)

DIES.

I'mma chargin' mah DESU NOTO--!

s3r3nity 2009.06.22 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chibijelly (Post 57939)
Hey guys. My name's Sam - and I'm now officially posting here, haha. I've lurked for a long time and then finally caved and got an account last month.

HEEEY I'm a Sam from Florida too~!:wub:

chibijelly 2009.06.22 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3r3nity (Post 57996)
HEEEY I'm a Sam from Florida too~!:wub:

Awesome! :D Which part of Florida?

s3r3nity 2009.06.22 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chibijelly (Post 58005)
Awesome! :D Which part of Florida?

Southern, where there's nothing but old people, rich people, and palm trees. :P

chibijelly 2009.06.22 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3r3nity (Post 58008)
Southern, where there's nothing but old people, rich people, and palm trees. :P

Central here.

marcus314 2009.06.23 05:53 PM

Hi there *waves*

New member from Canada, but currently living in London. My name is Marcus :)

I made my first post in the Shiina forum but didn't see this intro thread. Anyways I am VERY VERY glad that I have found a forum for one of my favourite jpop singers. My affection goes back to 2003 when I discovered her through KSK...which remains to be my favourite SR album.

Nice to meet you all. どうぞよろしく!!!

a_grumble_cake 2009.06.24 05:14 AM

hi Marcus!
That's funny... I was sure you posted here months ago but I guess not. huh.
What made you listen to KZK back then?

marcus314 2009.06.27 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake (Post 58295)
hi Marcus!
That's funny... I was sure you posted here months ago but I guess not. huh.
What made you listen to KZK back then?

Hi a_grumble_cake *waves*

Heehee I don't think I have posted here until a few days ago :lol:

Back in 2003 I was only exposed to artists more well-known outside of Japan (namely Ayumi and Namie) and wanted something different and more exotic. I bumped into this very interesting album cover back then

I had a hunch this was going to be interesting. Listened to it, and initially detested it, but very quickly I had the album playing non-stop :P .

Other artists I love:

MISIA
Hirai Ken
Onitsuka Chihiro
Salyu
Nobuchika Eri
Enomoto Kurumi
Nakashima Mika

Artists I like/tolerate:

Kimura Kaela
Amuro Namie
Pizzicato Five

Artists I dislike:

Hamasaki Ayumi
hitomi

:)

a_grumble_cake 2009.06.27 12:01 PM

from detest to love... that's pretty unusual but it did happen to me once (PJ Harvey's Rid of Me).

Osiris12345 2009.06.27 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcus314 (Post 58830)
I had a hunch this was going to be interesting. Listened to it, and initially detested it, but very quickly I had the album playing non-stop :P .

That was exactly how I felt about KSK when I first heard it. It's an acquired taste, huh?

Anyway, welcome to the forums!

merman 2009.06.27 12:09 PM

Aww, no wonder. Rid of Me has this very raw, off-putting disturbing sound. I think the album is brilliant but that took a few listens, and it still sounds almost like something she'd sing to a guy she tortures :D

a_grumble_cake 2009.06.27 12:58 PM

haha yes
It was really the first time I heard anything like that. It made metalheads with big hair and loud guitars seem like sulky princesses in comparison.

justriiingo 2009.06.28 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcus314 (Post 58830)

Other artists I love: Hirai Ken

Artists I like/tolerate: Pizzicato Five

*does not make sense..........*

marcus314 2009.06.28 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justriiingo (Post 59026)
*does not make sense..........*

:lol: why not?

Having said that I have known Hirai Ken's music way way longer than Pizzicato Five so....

TeslaGuy 2009.06.29 12:47 PM

^Love the P5, marcus! I know I do. Good taste is not genre-specific, but has more to do with appreciating the best.

Scribble R 2009.06.29 01:01 PM

I wanna be a pop star!

憂い菩薩 2009.07.14 05:14 PM

Hey everyone, I suppose I'm obligated to post here since I'm a new member :P I'm Aaron, I live in North/South Carolina (depends on the month), and I'm a fan of Shiina Ringo and Tokyo Jihen (that's my arm over there <--------, I want to get a little black cat batting at the bottom of 'hen' too :P). I'm glad this place exists, because I don't know anyone else that listens to my favorite band and recording artist, so here I can have conversations! About music that I like and have thoughts about! Hooray!

So yeah, nice to meet everyone.

Glathannus 2009.07.14 08:11 PM

You're the third person to come forth in this community with Shiina Ringo related tattoo(s) to show off. I wonder how many more of you are out there, who haven't found this community yet.

I too have a difficult time finding talkative Shiina Ringo fans (with or without tattoos) outside of this community.

In any case, welcome to EMF. :)

Kh9 2009.07.18 05:08 PM

Hi everyone. I'm a relatively new fan of Ringo; just discovered her music on youtube earlier this year and fell in love. I registered here a while ago but mostly lurked so far. My favourites include Souretsu, Marunouchi Sadistic, Tsumi to Batsu, Yami ni furu ame, Poltergeist, Meisai, Yume no ato, Rakujitsu, Kokoro, Bosai Hada, and many others.

Scribble R 2009.07.18 06:29 PM

Welcome. Souretsu is awesome.

Enjoy this nice community of Shiina Ringo fans :)

Gal 2009.08.04 09:55 PM

My god, I been a member here for a while and until now, I just decided to post. Anyways, I been having a woman crush on Shiina Ringo for a few years now. I haven't listened to her latest release yet, but I love most of her solo and Tokyo Jihen work. Besides Ringo, I'm a huge fan of the Beatles and I won't bother mentioning every single artist/band I listen to. And la la la la...more bullshit...

God, this introduction is awfully boring.

a_grumble_cake 2009.08.05 04:15 AM

hi Gal! you should post more, if only to balance the testosterone levels on this forum :lol:

Scribble R 2009.08.05 06:57 AM

Hey Gal, I hope you have fun in this brilliant forum!

JChan09 2009.08.05 07:46 AM

Hello, I think this is the right place for this :D

Here goes my little music history introduction...
I was raised on jazz and classical, but I didn't start my obsession with music until I started listening to Nirvana, Hole,
Babes in Toyland, and other such loud 90's grunge bands when I was about eleven. Shortly after that I discovered
Rasputina and took up learning the cello, and two years after that I discovered Tori Amos and the piano and seriously took up music.

Ever since then I've learned to love everything from psychedelic music to klezmer
and music has become my biggest passion in the world.
I just recently found these forums, looking forward to it.

a_grumble_cake 2009.08.05 10:21 AM

Jazz, classical, early 90s grunge bands, female singer songwriters... if Shiina Ringo isn't perfect for you I don't know what is.

Najica 2009.08.21 12:39 PM

Hello, i really havn't got a clue what to say, nor can i say for sure how long i have liked Shiina's and Tokyo jihen's music :)
well..nice to meet you all o/

justriiingo 2009.08.21 11:05 PM

Well, you said something, so that's a start! Why don't u post something in the currently listening thread, or join our friendly banter in the Sanmon Gossip thread. Welcome to EMF!

zyoeru 2009.08.28 11:24 AM

Hey~ I'm new! :)
I've not been a fan for that long, but I've known about her for a year.
Some of my other favourite artists are: Gackt, RURUTIA, ayumi hamasaki, Misora Hibari, Yumi Matsutoya, etc. :)

Scribble R 2009.08.28 11:35 AM

Welcome. Shiina Ringo looks like Ayumi Hamasaki now. =)

What are your favourite Ringo tracks?

zyoeru 2009.08.28 11:43 AM

Haha, they're both beautiful ladies. :)

My favourite tracks are probably Marunouchi Sadistic, Kabukichou no Joou, Gibusu, Onaji Yoru, Ringo no Uta, and Futaribocchi Jikan. :)

the fox 2009.10.31 06:59 PM

Hi all. I've been lurking here for a few months now, so I figured it was about time I finally got around to making things official. So, umm... here I am. heh.

I live in a very small and boring town, complete with only 2 red lights. Video games and listening to music are probably my biggest hobbies. I'd like to think I enjoy a decent variety of both, though I've mostly been playing RPGs and oldschool shooters and listening to Utada and The Mars Volta for the past 5 or so years.

As for when I became a fan, it was a little less than 2 years ago. I stumbled on a video of Yume no Ato from Dai Ikkai Ringohan Taikai no Moyou on Youtube one night. I was sold the moment she opened her mouth and have been listening ever since. She's easily one of my favorites. :)