Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Main Forum (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Demo tape thoughts. (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=2067)

karateexplosion 2013.07.01 05:56 AM

Demo tape thoughts.

Another dumb thread time!

In this one, we explore Shiina's demo tapes: what song would you have liked to heard as a full release? what release do you wish were more like the demo version? why is this a thread? etc, etc.

As silly as it is, I've always wanted to see My Side of the Bed, her cover of the Bangles song, as a proper arrangement (go Utaite Myouri part deux!). Also, I think the demo arrangement of Gamble far outclasses either ZCS or HF, what with the piano intro and all.

Anyway, thoughts?

TurtleFu 2013.07.03 04:46 PM

The demo version of Aozora is one of my favorites period, and I agree about Gamble.

kalmia 2014.04.29 11:17 PM

Really, the worst stuff on Ringo's demos are on par with what some other artists are coasting on. I wouldn't say that any of the tracks are bad, necessarily. But my favorite songs from the demo are mostly ones that were adapted into full studio versions very early in her career. I'm afraid my opinion may be due by the fact that I was already in love with these songs prior to listening to the early versions. These songs include "Aozora", "Headphone", and "Onaji Yoru". Her young vibrato in the demo version of "Rinne Highlight" gave me chills the first time I heard it.

There were other songs in the demo that made me really understand the appeal of the official versions, such as "Koko de Kisu Shite" and "Daijoubu". On the other hand, I feel that some songs were really improved with just minor changes, such as in "Don't you think" and "Sakana". I understand why she held out on a lot of material until her second album, as it made all the difference in some of the tracks. But I will say that I almost crapped myself when I heard the demo of "Honnou". All I could think about was how young Ringo was when she imagined that beast of a song. The English lyrics also pleasantly surprised me -- unlike "A New Way to Fly".

As for songs that were demo exclusives, I thought that "Sanso wo Kudasai", "How are you" and "Unconditional Love" had a lot of potential. That would be a single I would purchase.

Edit: I strongly prefer the HF version of "Gamble". What do you like about the demo version?

hedgehog 2014.04.30 10:14 AM

The only demo I preferred over the final would be 17. There was a certain charm to the lo-fi recording. These demos also make me curious about her personal beliefs. She has 2 songs with Jesus in the title. What's the history there?

deadgrandma 2014.04.30 07:54 PM

Man, I gotta revisit these demos again. Can't agree with the Gamble demo being better than ZCS or HF though...

Nimh 2014.05.01 07:34 AM

I like Shampoo. :)

kalmia 2014.05.01 10:14 AM

To me, it has always been Demo < ZCS < HF. I felt that each new version was an improvement instrumentally and vocally. Gamble is a beast of a song so the stripped down demo seemed awkward for me. The orchestra is a big part of the reason I fell in love with that song. But then again, it probably doesn't help that I listened to the versions in reverse order.

I like Shampoo too but I felt like the main ideas in that song could have easily been adapted to some of her other compositions. There are a number of solo and Jihen songs that have a similar vibe and sound. It specifically reminds me of a early prototype of Kenshou Naoshi. Of course the melody and tempo are different but the same types of instruments are present and they play similar roles.

a_grumble_cake 2014.05.02 02:36 AM

There is so much raw talent evident in these demo tapes, I wonder what it's like to receive something like that as a talent scout.

matan-san 2014.05.03 05:38 AM

I love the poppy-ish arrangement of the Tsuki ni Makeinu demo. and Sigma too

kalmia 2014.05.05 08:07 PM

Yes, that arrangement of Tsuki ni Makeinu is truly something. Those verses really pull at the strings of my heart. The change is something like what she did with the versions of Koufukuron, isn't it? The demo version of Sigma just irritates me though. That's like a different song, for real.