Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Main Forum (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   [SR] 2018.5.23 Adam to Eve no Ringo (CD) [Cover Album] (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=2255)

chestnutflowers 2018.04.19 06:49 PM

[SR] 2018.5.23 Adam to Eve no Ringo (CD) [Cover Album]

Adam to Eve no Ringo

Tracklist
  1. AI – Tsumi to Batsu
    Producer: AI & Gakushi
  2. Inoue Yosui – Carnation
    Producer: H.GARDEN, Arranger: Inoue Yosui
  3. Utada Hikaru & Obukuro Nariaki – Marunouchi Sadistic
    Producer: Utada Hikaru & Obukuro Nariaki
  4. Kimura Kaela – Koko de Kiss Shite.
    Arranger/Producer: Kameda Seiji, Piano Arranger: Ichiyo Izawa
  5. Shiritsu Ebisu Chuugaku – Jiyuu e Michizure
    Producer/Programming: Yoichiro Nomura
  6. Tajima Takao – Tsugou no Ii Karada
    Producer: Tajima Takao (ORIGINAL LOVE)
  7. Fujiwara Sakura – Akane Sasukiro Terasa Redo
    Arranger/Producer: Keiichi Tomita (Tomita Lab)
  8. Matsu Takako – Arikitari no Onna
    Arranger/Producer: Satoshi Shiotani
  9. Miura Daichi – Suberidai
    Aranger: UTA & Miura Daichi
  10. MIKA - Sid to Hakuchuumu
    Arranger: Jonathan Quarmby for 365 Artists
  11. RHYMESTER – Honnou
    Producer: Mr. Drunk, Turntables: DJ JIN
  12. LiSA – NIPPON
    Arranger: Schroeder-Headz & Hama Okamoto (OKAMOTO'S)
  13. Rekishi – Koufukuron
    Producer: Rekishi
  14. The Urashima’s (Vo. Masamune Kusano from SPITZ, Dr. Hideya Suzuki from Mr. Children, Gt. Kensuke Kita from ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION, Ba. Ryosuke Korenaga from Ame no Parade) – Tadashii Machi
    Producer: Kameda Seiji
Release Information:
Release Date: May 23, 2018
Price: JYP 3,000 + tax, USD 27.86 + tax
Catalog #: UPCH-20485
Available from: CD Japan

chestnutflowers 2018.04.19 06:59 PM

Previews

AI

Inoue Yosui

Kimura Kaela

Tajima Takao

Mika

RHYMESTER

Rekishi

Urashima’s

zeroryouko 2018.04.20 02:50 PM

That RHYMESTER remix is just wrong.

a_grumble_cake 2018.04.21 01:53 AM

Congrats to MIKA for elevator music-ing Sid to Hakuchuumu more than Ringo could ever hope to by herself. Is this the western musician MIKA?

All of these have their own flair except I guess Kimura Kaela who is just doing karaoke.

chestnutflowers 2018.04.21 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake (Post 98291)
Is this the western musician MIKA?

Yes, he's a fan of her apparently.
Quote:

Mika mentioned Ringo as one of his favorite Japanese artists, alongside Puffy AmiYumi, The Yellow Monkey, Yoko Kanno, and the Yoshida Brothers; in several interviews during his visit to Japan in 2007.
Interview, starts at 0:45

Quote:

When Courtney Love visited Japan in 2001, she was recommended several Japanese female rock singers by the music magazine editor of rockin'on. Sheena and Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her were in Courtney's favor.
It would have been fun if they somehow got Courtney to cover Gips, ha.

NCORE 2018.04.23 06:05 AM

I think Courtney Love would've been more interesting for sure. Though MIKA being on it is surprising.
Not sure about this album, looks to be quite forgettable like it's cover art, although that the Urashima's cover of Tadashii Machi sounds nice. Not as good as the MM version or Shiina's cover of Spica, but good :P

Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) 2018.04.23 06:29 AM

I want to know why the maestro of Ringo covers, Scott Murphy, wasn't invited to participate here! :hmph:

NCORE 2018.04.24 06:13 AM

Did you look that up or actually remember the guy's name? :P

Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) 2018.04.24 07:09 AM

It was branded on to me after the first time I heard his audio atrocity all these years ago. You can't forget!

a_grumble_cake 2018.04.25 03:41 AM

I remember some old rambling myspace post of Courtney's from around 2008-9 where she suddenly threw a "and whatever happened to sheena ringo anyway", so it didn't sound like she was all that familiar with Ringo but it was still funny. It's Ringo's rock song and subversive rock girl persona that she liked so I'm not sure she would be into 2018 Ringo.

Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) 2018.04.25 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake (Post 98338)
whatever happened to sheena ringo anyway"

A question we all ask ourselves each morning. :P

deadgrandma 2018.04.28 05:07 AM

Honnou Murdered

If you want to hear Honnou get absolutely buttfucked, here.

a_grumble_cake 2018.04.28 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadgrandma (Post 98361)
Honnou Murdered

It's not that bad but then Japanese rap all sounds the same to tme.

chestnutflowers 2018.04.28 12:14 PM

Forgot to add this, but the album will also come with a short novel.
Quote:

To celebrate the 20 year career of incredible Japanese artist Sheena Ringo, a special tribute album will be released on 23 May 2018!
The concept of the record is to ‘go beyond’ – beyond generations, beyond music genres and beyond all borders.
There will also be a special short novel by million selling writer Tesuya Honda for the CD booklet.
http://www.mikasounds.com/mika-featu...versary-album/

gekokujyo 2018.04.29 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadgrandma (Post 98361)
Honnou Murdered

nice update! just want to add that it's pretty hard for song lyrics to translate so effortlessly to rap and the fact that it sounds good here is really testament to how good of a writer SR is. it's easy to get caught up with her theatrics and showmanship but the fact that she's an excellent lyrical writer with a real commitment to her craft seems to be under-discussed these days

zeroryouko 2018.05.01 09:08 AM

So what does everyone think of the new samples that were just released?

chestnutflowers 2018.05.01 09:46 AM

Daichi Miura

This is the only preview not region locked in the US.

Utada
https://www.bilibili.com/video/av22819153?
Utada

LiSA
https://www.bilibili.com/video/av22830420
LiSA

Shiritsu Ebisu Chuugaku
https://www.bilibili.com/video/av228...03811432380551
Shiritsu Ebisu Chuugaku

Fujiwara Sakura

Matsu Takako

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroryouko (Post 98372)
So what does everyone think of the new samples that were just released?

I couldn't find Fujiwara Sakura's or Matsu Takako's, but the others were sadly very boring. I expected nothing and I'm still left disappointed. At least with the first batch of previews, the artists managed to put their own spin on Ringo's material. Utada's cover was exactly what I expected (a duller version of EXPO) and LiSA somehow made NIPPON even more unbearable (and I say this as someone who likes Schroeder-Headz!). Surely Ringo has more clout than this album would suggest; she can get better acts to cover her than Shiritsu Ebisu Chuugaku and LiSA, right? Even Chatmonchy had a better lineup for their tribute album with the likes of CHAI and Kinoko Teikoku.

zeroryouko 2018.05.01 10:00 AM

For me, there is some inherent appeal in most of the covers, just from the standpoint of liking the source material and being able to look at it afresh with a performance that I don't already have memorized. But I also kind of feel like the artists/performances were carefully selected so as not to outshine her or deviate too much from the original. Some of it even feels like what Ringo herself would have done with the material if she were releasing it today instead of ~20 years ago.

chestnutflowers 2018.05.01 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroryouko (Post 98374)
For me, there is some inherent appeal in most of the covers, just from the standpoint of liking the source material and being able to look at it afresh with a performance that I don't already have memorized. But I also kind of feel like the artists/performances were carefully selected so as not to outshine her or deviate too much from the original. Some of it even feels like what Ringo herself would have done with the material if she were releasing it today instead of ~20 years ago.

Yes, you're right. I suppose that's why I'm disappointed though, I want to hear new artists and not the familiar sounds of her collaborators like Tomita Lab, Kameda and Rekishi.

deadgrandma 2018.05.01 04:02 PM

This is about as dull as the Utada Hikaru tribute album. And that had Ringo and Hamsandwich on it

Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) 2018.05.01 04:56 PM

I want this instead!

Pistol Takehara - Tsumi to Batsu
Ging Nang Boyz - Aozora
Koji Tamaki - Gips
Utada Hikaru - Memai
BiSH - Koko de Kiss Shite.
Maron Hamada - Mayonaka wa Junketsu
Miyavi & Shishido Kavka - Meisai
Jun Shibata - Carnation
NakamuraEmi - Keikoku
Aimyong - Tadashii Machi
NGT48 - Sakana (LOL)
Wakusei Abnormal - Yokushitsu
Atarashii Gakkou no Leaders - So Cold
Kamin Shirahata - Poltergeist
Jun Togawa - Souretsu

zeroryouko 2018.05.01 05:39 PM

OMG, now *that's* a cover album!

ETA: Actually the entire rest of the album could be total crap and Togawa doing Souretsu would still make the whole thing worth it.

Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) 2018.05.01 05:41 PM

:uki:WOW

zeroryouko 2018.05.01 05:45 PM

Oh man, I forgot we had an Ukigumo emoji!

deadgrandma 2018.05.01 06:27 PM

Jun Togawa is too good to cover Ringo. Fail, stop posting

Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) 2018.05.01 06:49 PM

Put Oomori in instead doing "Otona no Okite"

11!!11!1!!!1!

deadgrandma 2018.05.01 07:18 PM

Is this seriously the only 20th anniversary thing she's gonna release?

I thought she woulda milked it dry like the 2 million pointless releases for her 15th anniversary.

Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) 2018.05.01 07:41 PM

What can she put out? She milked her best on the 15th and the last 5 years haven't exactly been a victory lap! She's exhausted all the songs she did for others with reimport CD/LP as well.

It's time for the reissue vinyl box set.

What better way to guarantee the shifting of those Reimports!

Unless...

JIHEN REFORM TOUR!!!

deadgrandma 2018.05.01 07:44 PM

She could put out a BEST OF proper lol

Pretty sure Reimport vinyl has finally sold out. Took a while though, even though it was advertised as EXTREMELY LIMITED YOU AINT GETTING IT FUCKER.

Meanwhile, relatively unknown CHAI sell out a 2000 run of PINK in half a day (the same amount of pressings as Reimport 2 iirc), MUTEKI gone in a weekend.

Jihen reforming is sadly the best thing we can hope for right now. I remember being stoked when they broke up. If only I knew what was coming from solo Ringo in hindsight, I woulda cherished Jihen a lot more at the end.

Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) 2018.05.01 07:53 PM

To be fair, the only people still buying Ringo releases these days are only allowed out from their cells once a fortnight so it was obviously going to take some time!

:wub:

deadgrandma 2018.05.01 07:54 PM

Most of the 'hardcore' fans left that I know are people who dont buy ANY music at all so yeah.

As for this release: I'm someone who buys every fucking Ringo release and I haven't even thought about ordering this covers album ffs.

Dunno how well that bodes for the sales if the suckers aren't even biting.

That said, it has the name Utada Hikaru attached.

zeroryouko 2018.05.01 08:11 PM

It's not as bad as that. Except that cover of Honnou, that should be burned in a fire.

chestnutflowers 2018.05.02 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) (Post 98382)
Put Oomori in instead doing "Otona no Okite"

11!!11!1!!!1!

What about Killer Tune instead? :P
Oomori

Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) 2018.05.02 07:48 PM

!

zeroryouko 2018.05.03 07:44 PM

OK, my official verdict based on the samples:

Tsumi to Batsu by AI - Lacks the raw emotion of the original - largely because Ringo's vocals were excellent even for her - but not a bad interpretation of the material.

Carnation by Inoue Yosui - Not great. The original is a lullaby or the soundtrack to a magical fantasy, but the vocals on the cover are just pedestrian, instead of filled with the sense of wonder that Ringo delivered. Either stick to the source, or do something totally different with it - don't just half-ass it.

Koko de Kiss Shite by Kimura Kaela - Pretty much the same as the original. Not bad but doesn't add anything either.

Tsugou no Ii Karada by Tajima Takao - Too normal. Ringo gave this a sense of frenetic energy while the cover is just bland. I've always interpreted the original as a number in a Broadway-type musical, and Ringo's vocals escalate with each successive verse, as an homage to that theatrical type of acting you don't see much anymore. This is just...less than that.

Sid to Hakuchuumu by MIKA - I know it's crazy, but I actually like this one. Although I'm not sure what language it's in - doesn't sound Japanese. French maybe? But not good French. Nonetheless, the cover actually went bossa nova, and I love it! Although if Ringo had done a bossa nova version it probably would have been better.

Honnou by RHYMESTER - KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!

Koufukuron by Rekishi - Too much vocal doubling, but not terrible. At least it sounds fresh. Still not as good as the demo though!

Tadashii Machi - Also not bad. Doesn't add much vs. the original, but sounds more modern at least.

(I'll do the rest in a bit. Dinner time!)

chestnutflowers 2018.05.03 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroryouko (Post 98397)
Sid to Hakuchuumu by MIKA - I know it's crazy, but I actually like this one. Although I'm not sure what language it's in - doesn't sound Japanese. French maybe? But not good French.

Yes, it's French. I don't know the slightest thing about the language, but it's sounds better than Ringo's French? Maybe? The lyrics, thanks to Google:
Quote:

Qu'est-ce que j'ai fait pour mériter ça?
Tant d'amour ça ne se refuse pas
On s'habitue à tout
A ce coeur qui bat qui fait pa pa pa
Même à des mots tout doux
Et d'heures qu'avant toi j'aimais pas?

Et dire qu'avant toi j'aimais pas?
C'est quoi ce bonheur qui s'acharne sur nous?
C'est quoi ce soleil sur nos joues?
Ah si on m'avait dit que ça valait le coup l'amour toi et moi!
C'est quoi ce bonheur qui s'acharne sur nous?
C'est quoi cette envie d'être fou?
C'est pas compliqué, pas plus compliqué
Qu'un bisou comme ça
And the English translation:
Quote:

What did I do to deserve this?
So much love you can't say no
You get used to everything
To this heart that beats that goes pa pa pa
Even to very sweet words
And to hours I didn't like before you?

And I can't believe I didn't love before you?
What's this happiness that's going after us?
What's that sun on our cheeks?
Ah if I had been told love between you and I was worth it!
What's that happiness that's going after us?
What's this desire to be crazy?
It's not complicated, not more complicated
Than a kiss like this

zeroryouko 2018.05.03 08:02 PM

I would have hoped it was at least in keeping with Ringo's original. As bad as Ringo's French is, I'll take it over some random's any day. And Janis Ian - dammit, I bought Janis Ian's greatest hits because of this song.

Lena-chan 2018.05.04 07:45 AM

I was expecting more from a tribute album =_=
IMO the newer songs (NIPPON and etc) should not have the right to be on it, I don't think anybody might possibly be a fan of Ringo BECAUSE of her recent music, people just endure the new music because of everything released before 2005. With that being said:

AI – Tsumi to Batsu: Meh. AI was the best in Utada's tribute album... I was expecting more
Inoue Yosui – Carnation: Meh
Utada Hikaru & Obukuro Nariaki – Marunouchi Sadistic: Meh, like anything released by Utada these days
Kimura Kaela – Koko de Kiss Shite: I agree, It's karaoke.
Shiritsu Ebisu Chuugaku – Jiyuu e Michizure: wtf, this is the least meh track so far, but still meh. I'll give it an OK
Tajima Takao – Tsugou no Ii Karada: OK
Fujiwara Sakura – Akane Sasukiro Terasa Redo: This is good! It reminds me that the Cranberrys' singer died O.o (...Airurando no shoujo ga utau)
Matsu Takako – Arikitari no Onna: Meh
Miura Daichi – Suberidai: I kinda like it... good, I guess
MIKA - Sid to Hakuchuumu: between Good and OK, better than if it was SR executing it
RHYMESTER – Honnou: This sounds fresh, but I don't like it. This is my favorite song in the whole word, I will never be satisfied with a cover of it.
LiSA – NIPPON: Hate it. Hate the original too.
Rekishi – Koufukuron: Surprisingly good O.õ I like it
The Urashima’s – Tadashii Machi: the best one ;o; the only track good enough to be in a SR tribute album, maybe I just feel this way because of Kusano Masamune's voice

And I would definitely prefer Bongo's tracklist. I'm even imagining in my head how those songs would sound, though Koji Tamaki's voice in my head will always sound more like it was in the 80s than how it is now

Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) 2018.05.04 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lena-chan (Post 98402)
IThe Urashima’s – Tadashii Machi: the best one ;o; the only track good enough to be in a SR tribute album, maybe I just feel this way because of Kusano Masamune's voice

The same with me. I'm so biased with Spitz that I couldn't say it was anything less than amazing. :lol: It is quite good regardless. The real surprise I'm seeing here with this record is that a few folk agree with me that Daichi Mura's pretty much the highlight. LMAO! :D

chestnutflowers 2018.05.04 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lena-chan (Post 98402)
I was expecting more from a tribute album =_=
IMO the newer songs (NIPPON and etc) should not have the right to be on it, I don't think anybody might possibly be a fan of Ringo BECAUSE of her recent music, people just endure the new music because of everything released before 2005. With that being said:

Eh, I think it's only fair that some of her recent material is included and NIPPON was sadly popular with the general public. For a lot of people, I assume, that song is representative of "current Ringo." That said, the inclusion of Jiyū e Michizure, Carnation and Arikitari no Onna is overkill and only makes the absence KSK-era songs much more apparent. Kabukicho, Gips and Ariamaru Tomi are all seemingly more notable would have made more sense, imo of course.

Lena-chan 2018.05.05 05:32 AM

And isn't kabukicho one of the 100 top tracks every years in japanese karaokes?
It would be nice to listen to a girl rock band doing a cover of it, or maybe Ziyoou-vachi

deadgrandma 2018.05.05 07:00 AM

Daoko's version is rad

Why the fuck isn't that on here? Theyre same label now aren't they?

Lena-chan 2018.05.05 10:33 AM

No idea!
I have to check this version NOOOW
*goes to youtube*

3knotsJK 2018.05.06 04:20 AM

Honnou in rhymester version is simply streaming shit.

monochrome 2018.05.06 12:48 PM

loved the daoko version. so different but still great

chestnutflowers 2018.05.06 09:33 PM

I can't read Japanese so I'm just going by what Google Translate spits out, but it looks like there will be a Twitter campaign to promote the album and her anniversary. With the #MyRingo (#わたしの林檎) hashtag, fans can submit illustrations, song reviews, videos and such to show off their Ringo appreciation and to earn their very own sticker. The promotion runs from May 7th (so, today) until July 6th; 10 stickers will be given to 10 people every week.

Are you guys ready to earn your Ringo stickers? Yeah, not exactly the most exciting reward. :P
https://twitter.com/search?q=%23わたしの林檎
https://sp.universal-music.co.jp/rin...e/#scrolllink4
https://natalie.mu/music/news/281061

deadgrandma 2018.05.06 10:16 PM

This reeks of desperation.

Everyone knows that this album will be forgotten in a fortnight.

Fuck it here's mine https://twitter.com/deadgrandmablog/...74233727139840

Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) 2018.05.07 01:43 AM

Fans should submit their own covers. Probably smoke most of the record's line-up when it comes to passion and song choice.

Osiris12345 2018.05.08 11:53 PM

AI – Tsumi to Batsu: Not as offensive as I expected but nothing to write home about either. It ends up being a kind of ho-hum cover, at least from the preview. One thing this showcases though is that Tsumi to Batsu has a f-ing brilliant melody and even a garbage tier artist would sound decent because of how good the song is, not to say that this artist is necessarily “garbage tier” but the point still stands.

Inoue Yosui – Carnation: I’m not terribly familiar/attached to the original but I know it’s better than this crap. This is a real snoozefest of a cover. Ringo deserves better.

Utada Hikaru and Some Guy: Would be much better if it was just Utada covering the song. The guy doesn’t add anything substantial. I know a lot of people on the forum are poo-pooing the arrangement of this because it’s kind of RnB styled or more like the EXPO MaruSadi version but that doesn’t bother me. I could get into a Hikaru Utada slow version of Marunouchi Sadistic. It’s basically inoffensive.

Kimura Kaela – Koko de Kiss Shite: Ah, the Basic Bitch version of Koko de. If Shiina Ringo’s original is a black caffeinated coffee, this is a decaf with extra cream and sugar. I’m not saying the original is my fave Ringo tune but shit, man. They just took all of the energy and edge out of a song that was already one of the most mainsteam pop songs in Ringo’s catalog. This is the version of the song you play for people who think Ringo is “really loud” and “has an angry voice”. Smh.

Shiritsu Ebisu Chuugaku – Jiyuu e Michizure: Actually a surprisingly fun piece of bubblegum pop. Sounds pretty close to the original but the female singer gives it a Puffy Ami Yumi vibe. I’m actually okay with this, especially since it’s no slight against the original.

Tajima Takao – Tsugou no Ii Karada: Wow. This is AWFUL. Like, trainwreck awful. I looked up this guy and apparently he was a vocalist in Pizzicato Five from 1987-1990, which is a shame because they’re great but the guy can’t sing this to save his life. I mean, there’s more bum notes here than there are seconds in the preview. Couldn’t they have tried to convince Maki Nomiya to sing this? Nothing about this works. In fact, it’s kind of so bad it’s funny. To me this is basically if Tommy Wiseau directed La La Land, which again, does a 180 and kind of becomes amazing in its awfulness.

Fujiwara Sakura – Akane Sasukiro Terasa Redo: Video won’t work in my country :(

Matsu Takako – Arikitari no Onna: Same shit :(

Miura Daichi – Suberidai: This is REALLY GOOD. Seriously. I had no idea I needed this cover in my life but this guy is GREAT. Tonally and musically PERFECT for the gentle nostalgic mellow vibe of Suberidai. Honestly the highlight of the album for me.

MIKA – Sid to Hakuchuumu: I actually like this. I’m sure he wanted to avoid singing Japanese lyrics so he didn’t look like a weeaboo so the French works for me. I’ve always love Mayonaka Sid so this is perfectly serviceable.

RHYMESTER – Honnou: You know, this cover actually reminds me of the ending scene in Saw V when the brutal successor to Jigsaw’s legacy played expertly by Costas Mandylor, let’s call him “RHYMESTER”, lures the detective we’ll call “Honnou”, played by Scott Patterson, to a renovated nerve gas house where he finds an underground room containing a clear box filled with broken glass. Inside Honnou finds a tape that he picks up. When he presses play, the tape is RHYMESTER’s voice. RHYMESTER asks Honnou to enter the box but Honnou stops the tape when he hears the sound of someone coming into the building. It’s RHYMESTER with a gun. RHYMESTER steps inside the room to find Honnou missing but when he looks into the door of the glass box, he sees the reflection of Honnou. The two fight each other and Honnou actually manages to overpower RHYMESTER before throwing him into the box, sealing the room’s exit. Honnou tries to get out but the door won’t budge. He turns back to the glass box and urges RHYMESTER to tell him how to open the sealed door. RHYMESTER points down to the tape player that’s lying on the ground. Honnou picks it up and presses play again. It conveniently picks up from where it left off and tells Honnou if he doesn’t go into the box he will never be heard from again. “You will never be found. You will simply vanish.” As soon as the tape ends, the walls of the room begin to slowly close in on Honnou, like a noose tightening around his neck. He desperately tries to push against the walls or do something to escape. He begins shooting at the glass box now containing a smirking RHYMESTER but the bullets have no effect. The music swells as the walls close in on our hero. RHYMESTER, now safe in the glass box, begins to be lowered down into the floor as he watches upward to see Honnou’s inevitable fate. Honnou only has seconds left now. As the walls get closer, he begins to try climbing up against both walls using his hands and feet to make an escape through the ceiling. The clock is ticking. This is his last chance to get out. He manages to make it up to the grating on the ceiling and he holds on with his hands, suspended over the room that is about to swallow him. It’s too late. His arm is crushed by the wall and he screams in pain, blood spurting out onto the glass coffin below as a gleeful RHYMESTER watches his handiwork. Honnou screams in horrible agony as the walls slowly crush him, blood now quickly pooling down onto RHYMESTER, as credits roll.

Yeah, that about sums it up.

LiSA – NIPPON: Passable, I guess. I’m not a huge fan of the original so a karaoke version is not offensive. Is it great? Meh. Not for me but I bet the average Japanese fan will like it just fine.

Rekishi – Koufukuron: I really like this. It’s actually a really fun, lively cover of this song that you would expect in a cover album. I wish the others were this quality, to be honest.

The Urashima’s – Tadashii Machi: Really good. Definitely another highlight of the album. So many great people on this track. SPITZ, Mr. Children, and ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION. I mean, fuck. Couldn’t we have gotten them all to do separate tracks? There’s too much awesome compiled into one song!

Like many other posters are saying, this isn’t what I’d want my Ringo tribute album to be, but maybe for Japanese fans it’ll be what they’re craving. Miura Daichi, Rekishi, and The Urashima’s are all the clear winners here. The rest range from god awful (Tsugou no ii Karada, HonNOOOOOOOOOO) to decent (MaruSadi, Sid). It’s probably a middle of the road album for me. I may pick up the album regardless although it’s not high on my priorities.

Lena-chan 2018.05.10 08:41 AM

Ok, after a few days of deep thinking I arrived at what I would consider the perfect tribute album:

Ziyouvachi: Kabukichou no Jou
Aimer: Gips
Itsue: Memai (it would probably be my favorite track of this album)
Minami Kitasono: Aozora
Nakashima Ko: Honnou (he is the only one who could make it right :wub:)
Kazuya yoshii: Tsumi to Batsu
Show-ya: Kuki
Tokyo Girls Style: Meisai (the somewhat mandatory idol track)
Tatsurou Yamashita: Suberidai (this song would sound good with so many artists doing it, but he is the one who would deliver it better :wub:)
Kazuho Oogiya: Torikoshi kurou
L'arc en ciel: Gamble
Aiko: Koko de kiss shite
Utada: akanesasu (only if she did a RnB cover)
Petrolz: Tsukimi Asobi (don't deny! If they did a funky cover of this song if would be pretty awesome!)

deadgrandma 2018.05.14 08:02 PM

Poison on it's way

deadgrandma 2018.05.22 07:39 PM

Can confirm it's a one time listen only

gekokujyo 2018.05.22 11:53 PM

full version of tadashii machi is absolutely sparkling! will wait till i'm home from work to listen to the rest

gekokujyo 2018.05.27 08:03 PM

too lazy to make a new thread for this but she's touring again this october! ringo expo 2018. this, plus the utada tour, is threatening to render me brankupt. if the show is anything like the past two ringo expos i'm gonna be ecstatic.

tsukigimehime 2018.05.30 09:36 PM

I really, really liked the cover album!

Daichi's cover of Suberidai was so smooth and more than I could have dreamed of, Fujiwara Sakura gave me all the same unreal vibes with her Akane Sasu as the original, and I loved how Tsugou no Ii Karada wrapped you up in its madness. If the original were Peter Pan, this would be Alice in Wonderland, that kind of thing.

Anyway, I'm just here to say that I wish the Honnou cover were a little sexier, but was really impressed with how they worked the lyrics of the song, since for a lot of Japanese people it's Ringo's lyricism that really sets her apart from other artists (still true today). UNCHAIN pulled off the groove way better for what I wanted, personally.

Also Dempagumi.inc doing Shuen no Onna... I'm waiting for you...

kalmia 2018.06.08 02:54 AM

I have not gave this a listen yet. I heard a few previews and tried the Utada cover at karaoke. Stopped it a minute in and lost all interest in the real thing, which I've heard none of. How the f*ck do you ruin classic Ringo??? Somehow seems worse than the Utada tribute album?

Lena-chan 2018.06.08 03:42 AM

suberidai, tadashii machi and akanesasu are good though

deadgrandma 2018.06.08 05:13 AM

I think it's probably worst album of the year so far.

Might not count though seeing as it's V.A.

gekokujyo 2018.06.09 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadgrandma (Post 98837)
I think it's probably worst album of the year so far.

Might not count though seeing as it's V.A.

lol

Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) 2018.06.11 05:23 PM

I forgot this existed these past weeks!

thespidereggs 2019.03.02 02:32 PM

Adam to Eve no Ringo was selected as Concept Album of the Year for the Japan Gold Disc Award 2019.

(Source)

deadgrandma 2019.03.03 03:28 AM

What concept

TeslaGuy 2019.03.03 11:35 AM

I guess the unifying theme is that all the tracks are cover versions.