Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Main Forum (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New album 三毒史 announced (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=2305)

Slowdive 2019.04.04 01:05 PM

New album 三毒史 announced

Out May 27th

13 songs including

獣ゆく細道
目抜き通り
長く短い祭
神様、仏様

https://www.kronekodow.com/gaiko/newalbum2019/

thespidereggs 2019.04.04 01:30 PM

Damn, beat me to it! :P Thanks for posting the official announcement.

According to this source, Jiyuu-dom and Shijou no Jinsei will apparently be on the album as well. So that leaves 7 new songs on the tracklist. I guess that reads as slightly less offensive than SUNNY'S tracklist (which had 7 singles and 6 new songs)?

And what a promo shoot. I could try and speculate on the sound based on the photos but then you throw Nagaku Mijikai Matsuri and Jiyuu-dom in the mix and I end up getting confused lol. My gut reaction was that a darker sound would be refreshing, but the suit of armor and wings seem like a lot of camp on this one.

Does anyone have a read on the romaji for the title?

[EDIT]
The title is sandokushi.

deadgrandma 2019.04.04 06:13 PM

I wrote this

http://aramajapan.com/news/shiina-ri...cX08wx85oeNuRo

Has everything that Kronekodow said

Im only gonna trust the official source seeing as everywhere is reporting different shit.

chestnutflowers 2019.04.04 06:18 PM

No Ma Cherie is odd.

Promo shots are rad, though.

deadgrandma 2019.04.04 06:28 PM

Yeah that is pretty odd, was just gonna write that haha. Perhaps she's counting it as a NEW song so didn't put it in the pre-released list?

Still, no final tracklist yet.

Which is also odd, seeing as its only 1.5 months away.

Lena-chan 2019.04.05 02:07 AM

To me the promo pic kinda looks like one of those ads for mmorpg games that appear when you are playing clicker/incremental mobile games
XD
but that's not a bad thing, it's only funny

JimmyKoria 2019.04.05 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lena-chan (Post 99534)
To me the promo pic kinda looks like one of those ads for mmorpg games that appear when you are playing clicker/incremental mobile games
XD
but that's not a bad thing, it's only funny

"CLICK TO PLAY THE HOTTEST MMORPG TODAY! UNIQUE SOUNDTRACK, AMAZING GRAPHICS!"

I feel like I'm getting Soul Calibur vibes. Shiina Ringo just wanted to rep her custom character.

gekokujyo 2019.04.05 07:41 AM

i mean surely we've all seen this..............

https://aramajapan.com/news/newrelea...-queens/64050/

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3icw71u9lo

zeroryouko 2019.04.05 09:45 AM

Ringo wore it better.

deadgrandma 2019.04.06 02:36 AM

So some fun time regarding the concepts of the album. Here's two things I noted talking to people and sifting through the hype:

(It may be coincidence, maybe not.)

1. After reading into the sandoku beliefs (three poisons) I found this quite striking (source): All human beings are born with sandoku: (1) tonyoku (貪欲, “greed”), (2) shinni (瞋恚, “anger” or “resentment”), and (3) guchi (愚痴, “stupidity” or “ignorance”).

Note how the third one is called guchi. Pretty damn similar to GUCCI, no?

2. Secondly, on Kronekodow, she talks about how the three poisons are represented by chicken, boar and snake. Our old buddy op2 pointed this out to me on the Ringo Expo '18 announcement image:

Check out what 3 animals the aliens are abducting, coincidence?

Anyway. This album, conceptually, is probably the most exciting thing since KZK. Hopefully at least SOME of the music lives up to the thought she has seemingly put into it.

Also, finally, and while not necessarily relating to the album itself, I found this interesting tweet that seems more than relevant on the 20th anniversary on Muzai Moratorium

Maybe it's something. Maybe its nothing. Maybe I'm just fanboying- something I have not done regarding Shiina Ringo for about five years.

Feels good.

shirasagi 2019.04.08 01:35 AM

I'm going to be more cynical here and argue that the sandoku concept was either around from 2015 or was just tacked on after the singles started coming out and they had to be tied together somehow to be on an album.
The religious/folklore motives on the Nagaku Mijikai Matsuri single cover, the Kamisama, Hotokesama video, the Hyakkiyagyo concert... also, all of the singles were tie-ins, which makes the concept seem more like an afterthought to me.
I'm curious how it will pan out in the final tracklist. Will the songs be divided across the three themes? Does "Menukidoori" stand for greed?

At this stage, I'm kind of most curious about the eventual cover artwork, because this knight armor image is tacky and not in a good way. I've seen people point out here that it reminds them of mobile games or hostess bars and I pray that something like that was the intention, because damn if this is not ironic.
The "Marilyn" picture that was the teaser for Sunny ended up being the booklet cover, so this one probably isn't really going anywhere either.

thespidereggs 2019.04.08 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirasagi (Post 99541)
I'm going to be more cynical here and argue that the sandoku concept was either around from 2015 or was just tacked on after the singles started coming out and they had to be tied together somehow to be on an album.

Agreed, it seems like a strong concept but the connection to the singles seems more tenuous. Remember when SUNNY was announced Shiina mentioned she noticed she'd written a lot about sunlight between 2009-2014 so she just threw in a vague enough concept to loosely tie the album together. So, Sandokushi seems at lesat stronger conceptually, and if the concept really was born in 2015 then at least she's been somewhat intentional about the long-term project.

Quote:

I'm curious how it will pan out in the final tracklist. Will the songs be divided across the three themes? Does "Menukidoori" stand for greed?

Lol I literally was wondering that too. Is she both cashing in and selling out Ginza Six for the sake of social commentary? Talk about multitasking. :lol:

Quote:

At this stage, I'm kind of most curious about the eventual cover artwork, because this knight armor image is tacky and not in a good way. I've seen people point out here that it reminds them of mobile games or hostess bars and I pray that something like that was the intention, because damn if this is not ironic.

It turned me off too at first, but damn if it isn't a bold visual statement. I mean the reactions I've been seeing are all "This is tacky af" or "I love it!!". Knowing Ringo and her love for camp (and angel wings apparently) I'm sure it's intentional on her part.

shirasagi 2019.04.08 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thespidereggs (Post 99547)
Agreed, it seems like a strong concept but the connection to the singles seems more tenuous. Remember when SUNNY was announced Shiina mentioned she noticed she'd written a lot about sunlight between 2009-2014 so she just threw in a vague enough concept to loosely tie the album together. So, Sandokushi seems at lesat stronger conceptually, and if the concept really was born in 2015 then at least she's been somewhat intentional about the long-term project.

Lol I literally was wondering that too. Is she both cashing in and selling out Ginza Six for the sake of social commentary? Talk about multitasking. :lol:

It turned me off too at first, but damn if it isn't a bold visual statement. I mean the reactions I've been seeing are all "This is tacky af" or "I love it!!". Knowing Ringo and her love for camp (and angel wings apparently) I'm sure it's intentional on her part.

I agree! I really hope I warm up to it. At least others get it, which is nice to see. I'm really curious about the final artwork.
Now, if she really repurposed "Menukidoori" and the Coke song that would be badass, but let's be realistic :D I do wonder about the tracklist and I'm excited to hear new songs. I really have no expectations beyond that, so I can only be pleasantly suprised, I guess!

I was wondering a couple of things since the announcement too, like how much Tokyo Jihen is going to be involved - remember, their logo was slapped on to the Jiyû-dom artwork and either they were around for a lot of the songs or stuff like Shijô no Jinsei and Donzoko Made reminded me of Jihen too. And wasn't Jihen just popping up randomly here and there over the past few years? I may be wrong but they may pop up here too beyond the cameos they made on previous albums.

And also, if there were sonic parallels to be drawn between the first Reimport and Sunny (terrible mastering aside) - that's probably really subjective - then is the second Reimport any indicator of this new album? I wonder how the singles are going to hold together in the end, it worked out well enough on Sunny for me - and this time, we're only reaching four years back :D

Also, I haven't seen the new Expo yet but apparently there was a new remix of Marunouchi Sadistic included? We may get a bonus track ala SG and get a new version of MaruSadi every ten years from now on too. Lol

zeroryouko 2019.04.08 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thespidereggs (Post 99547)

And here I was thinking Sunny was about Japan taking its place as a modern nation in the international community.

I think it's likely that she came up with the sandoku theme after the singles (or some of them, at least) had already come out. But that's not necessarily a disqualifier - if the new songs were written with that theme in mind, and with an eye toward actually tying in the singles. IIRC Yattsuke Shigoto was written years before the rest of KZK, for example.

deadgrandma 2019.04.08 02:38 PM

Honestly Ringos been campy for so long now that the promo shot was not even something that registered as cheesy, I just thought of Mariah Carey and Ayumi Hamasaki lol.

At least it's not her in another Gucci-made Kimono (it still makes me scoff), that shit was getting super stale

shirasagi 2019.04.09 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroryouko (Post 99549)
And here I was thinking Sunny was about Japan taking its place as a modern nation in the international community.

I think it's likely that she came up with the sandoku theme after the singles (or some of them, at least) had already come out. But that's not necessarily a disqualifier - if the new songs were written with that theme in mind, and with an eye toward actually tying in the singles. IIRC Yattsuke Shigoto was written years before the rest of KZK, for example.

That is a good point, but that was one single (technically, an EP track) and completely reimagined. I don't think any of us is expecting a new arrangement on any of these songs, plus that's an entire backlog of singles right there.
Also keep in mind she sacked Mayonaka and the b-side, nowadays she would probably throw in the Sid remake in too just for completion's sake lol
As for Sunny, I remember she said something about writing about both the sunny and the dark sides of Japan or something to that effect? She may mention it in the Sunny interview in that "Ongakka no Karute" book that I never got around to.

And sure deadgrandma, the camp is nothing new - it's probably also my dislike of knights and medieval/fantasy aesthetics that's putting me off, it just does nothing to me. I never watched Game of Thrones either, I'm that person...

I also listened to Menukidoori for about the fourth time in my life last night and I will say the song is better than I remember it, so maybe it will end up just being one of the less remarkable tracks on the album. Certainly nothing on here is on NIPPON level, am I right?

deadgrandma 2019.04.09 03:37 AM

Coke Song is pretty damn bad lol

Scribble R 2019.04.09 04:10 AM

Quote:

I agree. wouldn't consider myself a cynical fans, but we already have four songs that do not inspire confidence that she'll be exploring this concept in a particularly 'new' or 'exciting' way, at least where the album as a cohesive entity is concerned. Like I'm sure I'll enjoy the 5/6/7th entry in the Mayonaka Cinematic Universe, but I don't expect my world to be rocked.

shirasagi 2019.04.09 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadgrandma (Post 99556)
Coke Song is pretty damn bad lol

Oops, I forgot to out myself as the Coke song fan. In fact I'd like to know what makes it so hateable - is it the autotune, is it Ukigumo or just the mediocrity? It's a long shot from her best singles but I always enjoyed it.
So if the Coke song is the NIPPON of this album, I'm not too mad. I hope the rest will find it easier to stomach "in the context of the album" :D

I agree with Scribble! And hopefully the album will inspire stronger reactions than indifference (in either direction), I'm interested in other folks' takes on it.

Actually, did anyone pre-order? I wonder why she even bothers with the PV disc anymore, aren't the videos all on YouTube in HD?

zeroryouko 2019.04.09 10:59 AM

It's the autotune, on top of being a mediocre song in general. That shit is for people who can't sing, not Ringo.

I pre-ordered both the Expo '18 Blu-ray and the limited edition of the album. I don't think there's a PV disc though.

deadgrandma 2019.04.09 05:31 PM

It has no bonus disc at all- just hardcover booklet.

The videos are up on YouTube- but from what I'm seeing quite a lot of people are region locked haha.

shirasagi 2019.04.10 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroryouko (Post 99560)
It's the autotune, on top of being a mediocre song in general. That shit is for people who can't sing, not Ringo.

I pre-ordered both the Expo '18 Blu-ray and the limited edition of the album. I don't think there's a PV disc though.

Could you post a couple of snapshots once they're in? I'm sure they're going to look nice but I'm just not buying CDs anymore.
I will probably buy the vinyl once that's out, but as far as I can recall they're always announced like two months after the initial album release (which I think is kind of a dick move)

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadgrandma (Post 99563)
It has no bonus disc at all- just hardcover booklet.

The videos are up on YouTube- but from what I'm seeing quite a lot of people are region locked haha.

I was still going by the rumors from that Chinese forum and it didn't catch my eye that there is no BD/DVD. That booklet better be real pretty!

I seem to be able to watch all the videos on YouTube in Europe, but I have given up on applying any logic to region locking at this point. And Menukidoori didn't even have a proper PV, right? Not that we need that.

thespidereggs 2019.04.11 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirasagi (Post 99553)
I also listened to Menukidoori for about the fourth time in my life last night and I will say the song is better than I remember it, so maybe it will end up just being one of the less remarkable tracks on the album. Certainly nothing on here is on NIPPON level, am I right?

I have to say Menukidoori aged better than anticipated. The melody is solid and the bass line is catchy as hell. The only real problem (as with other singles) is the arrangement. I get the big band treatment really sells the "Let's make shopping classy!" feel for Ginza Six, but it's also as if Shijou no Jinsei sold so poorly that she's hesitant to stray into other territory.

If she's willing to re-work Otona no Okite maybe there's a real chance we could get some new arrangements (minus the fact that song wasn't a single per se)

Also, in reading through the SUNNY thread I found this...

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadgrandma (Post 91779)
Though, if she does make an album 6, it better "feel" like something new- a maximum of 4 tracks we already know.

Prescient as ever, deadgrandma ;)

deadgrandma 2019.04.11 05:38 PM

She definitely came on here before announcing the tracklist to see what her real fans want.

I wish.

Lena-chan 2019.04.14 10:08 AM

Ringo,
if you are reading this, please
GIVE ME A SHUUKYOU LIVE PERFORMANCE!

deadgrandma 2019.04.21 05:38 PM

https://natalie.mu/music/news/328870...bI5KIvPJJXFv9E

Don't get too excited

Full tracklist is out and there's only 5 new songs total.

Fuck you bitch.

thespidereggs 2019.04.21 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadgrandma (Post 99591)
Full tracklist is out and there's only 5 new songs total.

:hmph:

Well, maybe 6 including Ma Cherie? Probably jumped the gun on preordering this if it's gonna be another SUNNY situation lol. Donzoko Made really made the list?

On the brightside:
  • Really looking forward to 急がば回れ since I enjoy all her collabs with HZM.
  • The collab with Sakurai Atsushi of Buck-Tick should be interesting too.
  • There's a new closer this time (that maybe hearkens back to Ko no Yo no Kagiri)? A lack of a new, epic closer was one of SUNNY's weakest aspects.
  • There's still hope the cover will be better than SUNNY's gaudy copy-paste collage style.

Still, this is pretty weaksauce, Ringo. At this point maybe she should take her own advice and just produce for other singers. It would be nice if she found a dedicated muse a la Okuda Tamio / PUFFY and produced a truly great album (for the first time since 2009). While she doesn't have anything to prove, she clearly doesn't carry the same interest in her own work.

Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) 2019.04.22 12:42 AM

All these tired half albums...:rolleyes: Is it really beyond her scope to make just one fresh album these days? It's been 4&1/2 years since SUNNY!

Lena-chan 2019.04.22 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thespidereggs (Post 99592)
It would be nice if she found a dedicated muse a la Okuda Tamio / PUFFY and produced a truly great album (for the first time since 2009).

IMO she is trying to do this since Tomosaka Rie (maybe even since Riyoko Hirosue?!)
I think she just didn't find the perfect muse for her yet

deadgrandma 2019.04.22 05:25 AM

Hope you guys like Ringo autotune

Cause that new single is, well, rough.

The main shimmer of hope I have is that it'll be bad, but memorably so.

Vorpax 2019.04.22 03:05 PM

Really loving the Atsushi Sakurai (huge fan here!) and Ringo collab news, but I'm definitely not excited about this album. Honestly, I think it'll be worse than Sunny.

thespidereggs 2019.04.22 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorpax (Post 99598)
Honestly, I think it'll be worse than Sunny.

Maybe. I'm suspending judgment til I hear the album in its full context. Based on the available tracks I think it could def be a more cohesive listen at least. Having 獣ゆく細道 come in after 鶏と蛇と豚 does it a ton of favors, and the new/old tracks seem more evenly distributed throughout.

And I am the only one who thinks the autotune is actually an interesting effect on 鶏と蛇と豚? Then again I don't find autotune as distasteful as others here (to each his own!) :P

Osiris12345 2019.04.22 07:55 PM

The autotune didn't bother me either so you're not alone. I actually enjoyed the instrumentation a lot. It felt very "Hatsukoi Shoujo" meets "Superficial Gossip" in a good way. The Buddhist chanting was also a nice touch.

As far as the new album goes, I really wish we'd get an album full of all new material too. I think we all want that. Maybe Ringo read all the comments EMFers made about her albums post-Adult and she was like "yeah, fuck that" :lol:

deadgrandma 2019.04.23 02:49 AM

I find the instrumentation to mainly sound like the opening track from Daihakken

Vorpax 2019.04.23 05:44 AM

Just listened to new single, yeah, nice instrumentation but the autotune is totally unnecessary.... And I'm not even an autotune hater, I think it has it's uses...

Lena-chan 2019.04.23 11:21 PM

I actually liked the single
I didn't loved it, of course, it's very nu-Ringo as most of her songs after 2005 are
but I wouldn't skip it if it came randomly in a playlist

JimmyKoria 2019.04.24 03:21 PM

I had to re-listen to it, since I heard it at 4 am and couldn't turn up the volume. The monk chants give me faint illusions to KZK, because they are some what haunting. I don't mind the auto-tune but it could have been a lot less abrasive and given off the impression (if any) that was intended.

I thought the lyrics were in English and they are. They feel strange. I saw them posted on the YouTube upload and thought "is that a translation?" nope lol.

chestnutflowers 2019.04.30 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thespidereggs (Post 99592)
  • There's still hope the cover will be better than SUNNY's gaudy copy-paste collage style.

Man, do I have some bad news for you...

thespidereggs 2019.04.30 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chestnutflowers (Post 99619)

Lmao. I love it. It's definitely a statement :wakka:

To be fair the limited edition cover is cropped slightly better:
Quote:

deadgrandma 2019.05.01 03:09 AM

Can't even make a joke about it for the joke of the cover itself is too strong.

gekokujyo 2019.05.01 04:46 AM

lmao she’s such a troll

edit: wow the new track /sakurai is such a trainwreck hahahaha

thespidereggs 2019.05.01 11:24 AM

Does anyone else...?

The new track isn't on Spotify US yet but I gotta hear this! :P

chestnutflowers 2019.05.01 11:37 AM

I immediately thought of BTW, ha. I still remember the backlash surrounding that cover.

Anyway you can hear the new track here: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av51095464/

Lena-chan 2019.05.01 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chestnutflowers (Post 99619)

OH
THE HORROR!

JimmyKoria 2019.05.01 03:31 PM

deadgrandma 2019.05.01 06:35 PM

It's OK, Telsaguy fixed the album cover.

And yes. That Ringo/Sakurai track is indeed the worst thing she has ever recorded. Worse than Coke song.

JimmyKoria 2019.05.01 06:44 PM

I've been re-listening to it and I actually grew to like it.

...am I ill? ...help me....

thespidereggs 2019.05.01 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyKoria (Post 99630)
...am I ill? ...help me....

Nope, you just have a different opinion. Own it! B)

The new single didn't immediately grasp me the way that Niwatori to Hebi to Buta did, but it's grown on me with repeated listening. Ringo's voice meshes well with Sakurai. It's busy and doesn't really click for me until the bridge, but it's been a while since she's sounded this aggressive. While NHB reminds me of KZK, this track is more reminiscent of Shouso Strip (think Benkai Debussy), and tbh it's nice to draw that kind of comparison again.

Besides, she's written worse songs than both this single and Coke song, let's not get carried away.

Vorpax 2019.05.01 07:57 PM

I like the new single as well... Weak chorus but their voices go along well, nice arrangements and it's not a fucking showtune. I don't see how it can be worse than coke song, but to each his own

kanzaki 2019.05.01 10:58 PM

I can’t believe she got to release an “album intro” track as a single. :blink:

Also we are now looking at like, 4 new songs for the album?

Well played, Madame Ringo.

ps: I’m still hoping for the best.

Lena-chan 2019.05.02 12:31 AM

I didn't hate her new song with Sakurai
I wouldn't put in my weekly playlist, but it sounds different than that characteristic nu-Ringo sound
at least is not a repetition of her collabs with tortoise matsumoto and the elephant kashimashi guy

shirasagi 2019.05.02 01:49 AM

I like the new song. Not as a single, but the release of what is technically an intro to the album and this song suggests to me that this new album might be a more cohesive body of work than what we probably all expected what with all the old singles.
The intro is supposed to be followed by "Kemono yuku hosomichi" and this song is followed by "Donzoko made" on the album - I can see these songs flowing well into each other. How the Coke song and "Jiyuudom" will fare I have no idea, but this song sounds sonically bolder than anything we've heard since Reimport (vol. 1) in my book. I'm now geniuinely looking forward to listening to the whole thing.

Tokyo Jihad 2019.05.02 09:29 AM

I am going to be honest. This is bare honesty. I don't enjoy being the constant contrarian. Kakeochi-sha (if thats what its called) is the most interested I've been in a Shiina Ringo song since Ariamaru Tomi. The most surprised (in a good way) since Virgin Line Souretsu -- and if not that -- KZK at all? Was not expecting that!

I take it the rest of the album isn't going to be in this weird, almost Scott Walker, style?

thespidereggs 2019.05.02 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad (Post 99636)
I take it the rest of the album isn't going to be in this weird, almost Scott Walker, style?

Probably not, but paired with the previous single Niwatori to Hebi to Buta the new sound seems at least to be consistently darker, heavier and more orient-inspired.

We'll see if the other new tracks follow through, and if they balance out some of the lighter/poppier singles that are attached. Really intrigued to hear the rest, and can only lament how cool it would've been to get an album that fully embraces this aesthetic...

deadgrandma 2019.05.02 01:51 PM

If you've heard BUCK-TICK this song isn't remotely surprising.

It also just sounds like poor man's version of track 2 from Reimport 1. If that can even exist LOL.

But hey if someone can find SOMETHING out of this one, that's something. I won't lie- I am enjoying the meltdown from the Ringo apologists and those ceaselessly using the "she's for the 1%/housewife" defense for her. What housewife will want to listen to this lol.

Oh one thing to note that may provide a glimmer of hope- I assume some of the older songs have rearrangements. Why? Apple music revealed the song lengths and some vary wildly from their OG ones. Donzoko is only 2:20. Also they only let you preview a few of the pre-release tracks.

TeslaGuy 2019.05.02 06:15 PM

I'll confess that I haven't listened to a single Ringo song in at least a year.

The last two CDs I burned (burnt?) for my car were the latest OOHYO and 80 minutes of mid-70s Steely Dan.

But I am really looking forward to this release. And because it is Shiina I will listen once, twice, fifteen plus times before I begin to cement my opinion.

And a thing I'm truly glad about is how this site reappeared, for reasons I don't believe even Glath is fully certain of, in time for this release.

thespidereggs 2019.05.02 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadgrandma (Post 99638)
I won't lie- I am enjoying the meltdown from the Ringo apologists and those ceaselessly using the "she's for the 1%/housewife" defense for her. What housewife will want to listen to this lol.

Who's saying this now? Haha

I get much of the criticism, but it seems reductive to characterize people who enjoy the new tracks or have more nuanced opinions as "apologists". Reading some comments here and on JPS, it seems like some people want the album to be terrible for the satisfaction of hating on Ringo, without giving her material a fair shake. There's always room for thoughtful critique and analysis, but that's clearly different from the disparaging, petty remarks that have run pretty rampant. Besides, if she's caught between the criticisms of "she only makes music for housewives" and "not even housewives would listen to this" that seems like an impossible situation for her, no?

As for the possibility of rearrangements, that's definitely exciting. I wonder if it's also for the sake of another symmetrical runtime (SG and HIT were both 50:05).

kanzaki 2019.05.02 07:06 PM

Won’t it be funny if T O K Y O is just a rearranged NIPPON with more Engrish?

Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) 2019.05.02 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeslaGuy (Post 99639)
And a thing I'm truly glad about is how this site reappeared, for reasons I don't believe even Glath is fully certain of, in time for this release.

This forum and Ringo cannot exist without one another. She feeds off this place to fuel her evil.:P

Lena-chan 2019.05.02 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeslaGuy (Post 99639)
the latest OOHYO

:wub:

Quote:

Originally Posted by thespidereggs (Post 99640)
I wonder if it's also for the sake of another symmetrical runtime (SG and HIT were both 50:05).

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the songs were not properly rearranged, but they only added more seconds at the end to make them flow smoothly from track to track and, of course, to make the album runtime symmetrical or at least a relevant number (like 55:55)

shirasagi 2019.05.03 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadgrandma (Post 99638)
If you've heard BUCK-TICK this song isn't remotely surprising.

It also just sounds like poor man's version of track 2 from Reimport 1. If that can even exist LOL.

But hey if someone can find SOMETHING out of this one, that's something. I won't lie- I am enjoying the meltdown from the Ringo apologists and those ceaselessly using the "she's for the 1%/housewife" defense for her. What housewife will want to listen to this lol.

Oh one thing to note that may provide a glimmer of hope- I assume some of the older songs have rearrangements. Why? Apple music revealed the song lengths and some vary wildly from their OG ones. Donzoko is only 2:20. Also they only let you preview a few of the pre-release tracks.

I get where your disappointment is coming from (my mind went to Kachû no otoko within like three seconds), and that is also why I said that I like the song, I just don't see it as a single. I feel like both the first track and this one are supposed to be teasers for the album moreso than singles in the proper sense. Both of them sound like two parts of a song cycle rather than standalone songs, even though the album is chock full of old singles.

I looked at the track lengths on iTunes and except for Donzoko, they are all just slightly trimmed, so I'm not getting my hopes up for rearrangements - we've seen this on Sunny. But who knows?

I'm with thespidereggs on this one - this darker sound would be amazing and fresh throughout the entire album, but it's probably not going to happen. But I'm pleased we're hearing new sounds. Even if it sounds like Kachû no otoko and Buck-Tick (I have to admit I last heard Buck-Tick probably fifteen years ago), it sounds refreshing to hear influences she hasn't explored as much in the last decade or so.

shirasagi 2019.05.03 04:42 AM

Okay, my session expired while I was posting and I had to log in again and now I see my post appeared two times, and I don't see where I can delete a post. Am I just stupid or does someone have to do that for me?
Sorry about that!

madpawn 2019.05.03 07:27 AM

As someone whose favourite Ringo song might be "Hatsukoi Shoujo," Niwatori is making me super excited for this album.

zeroryouko 2019.05.03 10:42 AM

So I've listened to this new single a few times now, and frankly, it's growing on me.

There are problems, to be sure - the mastering is awful, the chorus is slightly hokey, and I don't think any self-respecting EDM or industrial fan would consider this to be a well-executed example of either of those genres (if indeed that is what it's trying to be).

But the melody is memorable and Ringo's vocals cut like the shining edge of a sword. The dissonance is amazing. And I disagree with the idea that this is just Kachuu no Otoko lite - this has a much harder sound. Even if it's not a 100% new sound for her, it is definitely an area she has not explored very much. Just as she refined her jazz offerings over the years, maybe this will become an element of her music that she refines over future releases too.

So I'm giving it a 7/10. Mock me if you must.

shirasagi 2019.05.03 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroryouko (Post 99648)
So I've listened to this new single a few times now, and frankly, it's growing on me.

There are problems, to be sure - the mastering is awful, the chorus is slightly hokey, and I don't think any self-respecting EDM or industrial fan would consider this to be a well-executed example of either of those genres (if indeed that is what it's trying to be).

But the melody is memorable and Ringo's vocals cut like the shining edge of a sword. The dissonance is amazing. And I disagree with the idea that this is just Kachuu no Otoko lite - this has a much harder sound. Even if it's not a 100% new sound for her, it is definitely an area she has not explored very much. Just as she refined her jazz offerings over the years, maybe this will become an element of her music that she refines over future releases too.

So I'm giving it a 7/10. Mock me if you must.

Good take!

Lena-chan 2019.05.04 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirasagi (Post 99646)
Okay, my session expired while I was posting and I had to log in again and now I see my post appeared two times, and I don't see where I can delete a post. Am I just stupid or does someone have to do that for me?
Sorry about that!

I guess you have to go on " Advanced Edit" and there is an option on top to delete message, if I'm not mistaken

Slowdive 2019.05.14 03:14 AM

deadgrandma 2019.05.16 04:26 AM

TOKYO was just released.

It's a showtune.

How many times can she release the same song?

shirasagi 2019.05.16 04:57 AM

So I was reading these "liner notes" today: https://sp.universal-music.co.jp/rin...XHvPTEMGaO5BbI

Here are some interesting takeaways:

Right off the bat, don't let Ringo fool you by mentioning the similarities to KZK because she's talking about the creative process. The point she's making is that she regards Sanmon Gossip, Sunny and Sandokushi as a trilogy of albums, much like MM-SS-KZK are regarded, and in that sense, making this album felt similar to when she was making KZK. She's also talking about referencing life and death in the first and last tracks and that the album was designed to flow continuously, all of which are similarities with KZK, but those are more of a conceptual than musical nature. As a side note, "Donzoko made" has a different tempo on the album - hence the different track length. I suspect this is going to be similar to what happened with "Dopamint".

However, she also mentions that she started working on the new album pretty much right away after she finished Sunny. I mean, not that we didn't know as much with the singles dropping since 2015, but she also mentions that even while writing those songs, she was always considering them as a part of a larger whole and was also thinking about what place they would have on an album. Similarly, both the Hyakkiyako and Air Pocket concerts have been a part of this album concept.

She also says that she conceived of this album from the standpoint of "performance" - which includes (but is not limited to) singing. Make of that what you will, she doesn't really elaborate on that. However, all the guest vocalists on the album are apparently also a Horse in the Chinese zodiac, just like Ringo is. I only googled Sakurai Atsushi and that is true, the rest would have to be verified - but what's interesting is that even the selection of the featured artists is a part of a bigger concept.

Reading between the lines, it feels like she's closing a chapter with this album. After ten years of this "trilogy" in the making, that's exciting!

Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) 2019.05.16 06:33 AM

The only similarity between trilogies is that they both feature sound and that it was recorded. To form any level of comparison in regards to originality or quality of composition would be a sectionable offense. She's delusional.

The only chapter needing closed right now is the one on her career. She needs an extremely long holiday.

Fauxie 2019.05.16 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) (Post 99669)
The only similarity between trilogies is that they both feature sound and that it was recorded. To form any level of comparison in regards to originality or quality of composition would be a sectionable offense. She's delusional.

The only chapter needing closed right now is the one on her career. She needs an extremely long holiday.

What difference to you if she continues making music you don't like rather than retiring? How odd.

gekokujyo 2019.05.16 08:04 AM

TOKYO is kind of excellent, but then ive enjoyed most of her 'showtunes'

ironically enough, it sounds like it could be a TJ track

Lena-chan 2019.05.17 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirasagi (Post 99668)
However, all the guest vocalists on the album are apparently also a Horse in the Chinese zodiac, just like Ringo is.

Is that why she is carried by a horse in identity? It would make sense O.o
I would be so happy to live in a world where we would be all theorizing about how it makes so much sense that those three albums are a trilogy, all the amazing eater eggs and the genius of her writing, and how good those three albums sound. Sadly that is not the case, they are not good enough, and it doesn't make any sense for them to be in a trilogy together.
What I hope is that SR will be an artist like Yumi Matsutouya, who had some periods of bad albums but it didn't stop her from releasing good albums a decade later. So let this awful trilogy go away, and let a new (and hopefully good) trilogy begin!
(after all her children will not be kids forever, they will grow up and she will get bored with her life)

gekokujyo 2019.05.17 02:46 AM

sandokushi is the only album of hers so far that looks like it’s coming close to being “bad” tho so not sure if she’s really had a “period”of bad albums...

sonically uninnovative sure, i guess.

pretty excited to see what she does after this album. gut tells me she’s going to form another band.

Lena-chan 2019.05.17 06:59 AM

I didn't mean bad like a Johnny's album or anything like that...
I meant bad compared to her early albums, I don't want anymore albums that don't make me feel the urge to listen to them.
I've spent 2 whole years of my life only listening to SR's music, and even now when one of her old songs comes up I stop everything I'm doing because they resonate so intensely with my soul.
She is the only one who made me feel this way about her music, and I wanna be able to feel this way again before I die (not that I'm dying or anything).
But her songs that came up after the Shuraba single rarely make me feel anything at all =_=

gekokujyo 2019.05.17 10:06 AM

ive to say the relative disappointment in the new material coming from her on this album has led to a new found appreciation for her b-sides that i previously dismissed (e.g. sakasani kazoete, donzokomade etc)

deadgrandma 2019.05.17 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lena-chan (Post 99676)
I didn't mean bad like a Johnny's album or anything like that...
I meant bad compared to her early albums, I don't want anymore albums that don't make me feel the urge to listen to them.
I've spent 2 whole years of my life only listening to SR's music, and even now when one of her old songs comes up I stop everything I'm doing because they resonate so intensely with my soul.
She is the only one who made me feel this way about her music, and I wanna be able to feel this way again before I die (not that I'm dying or anything).
But her songs that came up after the Shuraba single rarely make me feel anything at all =_=

Just go Jun Togawa and never look back.

gekokujyo 2019.05.17 10:38 PM

i find jun togawa’s voice to be pretty much unlistenable even if i enjoy the sound of her music

Lena-chan 2019.05.17 11:01 PM

I have to be in a very specific mood to appreciate her voice, it only happens once a year

deadgrandma 2019.05.18 02:18 AM

She only has the best vocals of any Japanese singer, ever. No big deal.

Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) 2019.05.18 08:03 AM

BUT MAH "TOKYO" with no orchestra !!!!

Time better spent here!

The Life of Teshigawara Mika

deadgrandma 2019.05.21 04:55 PM

Ringo

God can you imagine if this came out 10 years back, the amount of analysis and theories it woulda gotten on here? She's actually put a fair bit of detail into this thing, but unfortunately most of the comments I see are 'its pretty' or 'so fierce' etc.

Doesn't help that it's not even really a proper song, just the intro track for the album.

Oh well, that's the way the apple rots.

PS. also before you get blown away by that eyeball art installation like I did, I'll save you the pain and tell you that it wasn't made for this MV, it's just the fucking Subaru building haha

kanzaki 2019.05.21 08:21 PM

I was very surprised to see Aya Sato. Does anyone know whether it was filmed recently or filmed some time back and only released recently? Aya Sato disappeared from my radar completely and I had read some pretty awful rumors about her.

Lena-chan 2019.05.21 09:09 PM

What happened to her? I didn't even know she and bambi broke up

thespidereggs 2019.05.21 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadgrandma (Post 99686)
PS. also before you get blown away by that eyeball art installation like I did, I'll save you the pain and tell you that it wasn't made for this MV, it's just the fucking Subaru building haha

Ahhh, so that's where this classic KZK promo was shot:

(Larger res)

16 years later and full circle?

gekokujyo 2019.05.22 03:05 AM

outstanding music video. it does a spectacular job of elevating the half-song. i’ll be sorely disappointed if there is no follow up video to close/answer the plot that’s been set up here.

this also makes me really want a pair of sister videos for shuukyou/souretsu

waranghira 2019.05.23 10:04 AM

Why all the effort to make a visual spectacle for a non-song? Is she running out of ideas to spend her money?

Just so frustrating to be hyped up by the sight of the thumbnail in my YouTube suggestions over for nothing.

And her vocals there are again unsurprisingly mixed for a deaf person.

Tokyo Jihad 2019.05.23 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadgrandma (Post 99686)
Ringo

She's actually put a fair bit of detail into this thing, but unfortunately most of the comments I see are 'its pretty' or 'so fierce' etc.

This meta-critique warms my heart.:wub:

Positron 2019.05.23 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanzaki (Post 99687)
I was very surprised to see Aya Sato. Does anyone know whether it was filmed recently or filmed some time back and only released recently? Aya Sato disappeared from my radar completely and I had read some pretty awful rumors about her.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lena-chan (Post 99688)
What happened to her? I didn't even know she and bambi broke up

Kinda curious about that timeline as well, having now seen Aya in the PV and Bambi in EXPO '18.

Looking forward to the HZM track and outro given what's been revealed so far. Getting closer...

thespidereggs 2019.05.25 02:05 PM

Shiina-san performed Tori to Ebi to Buta live on CDTV this weekend: Link here.

Also, Shiina and Sakurai Atsuhi will perform Kakeochi sha on Music Station on Friday May 31st. Really looking forward to that.

Stray thoughts:
The PV - I agree it's quite intricate and I appreciate the attempt to close the loop thematically on the past couple years. The lone horn solo at the end gave me goosebumps. Still, I get the frustration that it's still a prologue. Can't wait to see how she follows up!

TOKYO - It's refreshing to hear her scale down the arrangement and let the melody really shine. It reminds me of Sakasa ni Kazoete in the best way possible. Aside from the general 60s jazz vibe though, I'm not sure what specifically makes this sound like another showtune (esp given the lack of orchestration)?

deadgrandma 2019.05.25 03:32 PM

HZM song is a confirmed Jihen leftover, from Ringo's mouth herself.

Last song was recorded when she was in Bulgaria, but don't get TOO excited, its still an outro.

And finally, I've made this joke everywhere but here's Ringo doing a poor man's Sarah Bonito

kanzaki 2019.05.25 04:43 PM

So glad to see Aya Sato in the flesh!

Also - a full live band for a half song?

JimmyKoria 2019.05.25 05:50 PM

Thank you for the link to the live, Spider!

I really really like her look in that performance but everything else was kinda meh.

Still have yet to see the MV. It's blocked in my country D:

deadgrandma 2019.05.25 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanzaki (Post 99696)
So glad to see Aya Sato in the flesh!

Also - a full live band for a half song?

It's a backing track still (everything on that show is iirc), hence why she's singing into a hairdryer

kanzaki 2019.05.26 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadgrandma (Post 99698)
It's a backing track still (everything on that show is iirc), hence why she's singing into a hairdryer

Lmao that’s even worse, all those people pretending to play a half song. Ringo has GOT to be trolling at this point.

deadgrandma 2019.05.26 01:00 AM

Tbh lots of artists go on there and fuck around

Seiko Oomori went on with toy instruments a couple years back lol

Positron 2019.05.26 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyKoria (Post 99697)
Still have yet to see the MV. It's blocked in my country D:

Browser-based proxy sites work in a pinch if you're curious and not hung up on HD viewing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadgrandma (Post 99695)
HZM song is a confirmed Jihen leftover, from Ringo's mouth herself.

ugh put it in the garbage where it belongs

That being said, I'd kinda like to hear it live with the Mangarama band.

Quote:

Last song was recorded when she was in Bulgaria, but don't get TOO excited, its still an outro.
She should fully embrace her secret agent motif and steal other countries' musical treasures for use on three-minute tracks. If Gate of Hades was the last new song we ever got from her though, I'd be totally content.

(Also, for some reason when the rest of the instruments kick in halfway through it reminds me of "Feelings" by Morris Albert.)

gekokujyo 2019.05.26 07:30 PM

the great:
ma cherie
uptempoed donzokomade
god, buddha
tokyo

the good:
opening and closing tracks
kemonoyuku hosomichi
coke song
a life supreme
menukidoori with male vocal intro

the meh:
kakeochimono (literally only sitting through it for that transition into the next track)
jiyuudom
hzm song

this will no doubt be a very polarising record. at least no one can say it’s boring. still trying to decide what i feel about the whole thing.

Lena-chan 2019.05.26 09:31 PM

best track: Tokyo. Although is a little bit meh it's better than Ma chérie, and they are a little bit better than the others
great, wouldn't skip: Niwatori to hebi to buta, Ma chérie, Kamisama, hotokesama, Shijou no jinsei, Anoyo no mon
good, but maybe I would skip: Kakeochisha, Donzoko made, Nagaku mijikai matsuri, Jiyuudom
ok, don't know if it'll grow on me: Isogaba maware
bad, better than NIPPON tho: Kemono yuku hosomichi, Menukidoori

So here are the results:
Niwatori to hebi to buta 8
Kemono yuku hosomichi 3
Ma chérie 9
Kakeochisha 7
Donzoko made 6
Kamisama, hotokesama 7,5
Tokyo 9
Nagaku mijikai matsuri 6
Shijou no jinsei 7,5
Isogaba maware 4
Jiyuudom 7
Menukidoori 3
Anoyo no mon 8

kanzaki 2019.05.26 10:33 PM

1. Ma Cherie is the bomb. I wish I could get a full album like this.
2. Cleaned up Donzoko is rather pleasant to listen to, although every time I listen to it I keep wondering wHY it had to be remade? Copyright? Ownership? Non-adherence to her horse zodiac theme? (I also like the original)
3. Menuukidori song seems to be slightly remastered. I wonder if the other old songs had the same treatment?
4. Outro song is beautiful, but makes me sad because it shows that she still has so much more to give if she wanted to. EDIT: SAKURAN SEQUEL VIBES