Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Main Forum (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ringo Trivia Thread (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=16)

frecklegirl 2007.03.26 01:16 AM

Ringo Trivia Thread

A c&p of the original thread by Freackled:

Quote:

Originally Posted by freackled
I in now way take any credit for coming up with these facts (some are rumors and speculations)!!!!!!! These are simply things I've accumulated after visiting numerous outdated and old message boards over the past couple of years. Enjoy, I hope you learn a couple of new things!! :)

Gips
-There are two covers for the Gips single, one featuring herself cutting an apple, and the other featuring her cutting her wrist. It's interesting to note that she has a morbid little grin in the pic with her wrist being cut.

-The line " I wanna be with you" is written as "i "i 罠 B wiθ U". The kanji wana (罠) means trap or snare. The line could then have a double meaning, such as "I am ensared by you"
-This part is PURELY an opinionized interpretation of the song and has no validity:
Because of the reference to Kurt, other connections can be made. The line "Mata shigatsu ga kita yo" (another April has come) may be reffering to Kurt's death in April. The line "If you're Kurt, doesn't that make me Courtney?" might be implying that the main character of the song is contemplating suicide on the anniversary of her lover's death. Thus, the line "I wanna be with you" could be meaning that she wants to be dead with him. Basically, the song/video is a representation of a woman whose lover has died, and after a year of mourning contemplates suicide but decides not to do it for the sake of her daugher (the girl in the video). This is similar to Courtney Love's life.
-The message "Mit Liebe" appears on the screen very fast in the video. The phrase means "With Love" in German.
-The entire video is very similar to Nirvana's "Heart-Shaped Box Video". Watch it here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=W7QD_m83pWU

Honnou
-Ringo has mentioned that she originally wanted to appear like Jamiroquai in the "Virtual Insanity" music video, but has admitted that really didn't happen. (This was from an article in Daily Yomiuri online)
Watch the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7B-dqbD5ss...related&search=
-She has acknowledged that the glass smashing has no real meaning. However, she's said she wanted the video to express her opinon that women have as much
right to erotic fantasies as men do.

Marunouchi Sadistic
-Marunouchi Sadistic inspired the creator of FLCL, particuarly the line "soshitara benjii, atashi o gurecchi de butte" (And then Benzie smacks me with his Gretsch)

-In the English version, A New Way to Fly, the lyrics are:
"Pass the time kickin' as time rips by
Neither goose nor the gander fly
Flyin' high across the plain
Purple flowers ease the pain
Now take a look..
So I am careful for a new meditation
Still looking for a...a new way to fly
I do not want any plastic validation
Not looking for a...a new way to die
So I am lookin' for a new stimulation
Quite bored of those in flat able ties
and I am looking careful for a new rock sensation
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides"

These lyrics come from threedifferent songs on Stone Temple Pilots' album, "Tiny
Music...songs from the Vatican Gift Shop".
(From "Seven Caged Tigers":)
Pass the time kickin' as time rips by
Neither goose nor the gander fly

(From "Adhesive":)
Flyin' high across the plain
Purple flowers ease the pain

(she adlibs..."Now take a look..", which is close to "Adhesive's"
"Here take a listen")

(From "Tumble in the Rough":)
I'm looking for a new meditation
Still looking for a new way to fly
Don't want any plastic validation
Not looking for a new way to die

I'm lookin' for a new stimulation
Quite bored of those inflatable ties
I'm looking for a new rock sensation
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

Mayonaka wa Junketsu
-The name of the cartoon character in the music video is Mayo Kiyozumi. Her last name, Kiyozumi, contains the same two characters for junketsu ƒŒ‰ reversed, and her first name, Mayo ^–é, is the first part of mayonaka ^–é’†
-There was a contest held for fans to name the character. The winner received a figurine of the character. (edit: the kanji isn't showing up right here! sorry!)

Muzai Moratorium
-PURELY interpretation: The album is a concept album means to represent the ficitional autobiography of a recording artist who has commited suicide by drug overdose. It's a cliche tale of a girl who comes to the big city to become a rock star, succeeds, becomes disillusioned, drops out, and then drops dead. Each song represents metaphorically the emotion and mood of the "artist" at the time of composition:
01) Tadashii Machi -- arrives in big city
02) Kabukichou no Joou -- becomes street musician [more obvious in maxi-single version]
03) Marunouchi Sadistic -- begins pro career
04) Koufukuron -- gets record deal [album version represents hectic pace of rise to stardom]
05) Akane sasu Kiroterasare -- emotional isolation and disillusionment with fame set in
06) Shido to Hakueyuumu -- fills emotional void with drug experimentation
07) Tsumiki Asobi -- feeling exploited and made servile, other forces seem to dictate her life
08) Koko de Kiss Shite -- hits less frequent, feared her Muse betrayed her until this song came into her head
09) Onaji Yoru -- live tours become monotonous "greatest hits" shows; every night seems the same night
10) Keikoku -- anxiety attack, nervous breakdown, exacerbated by her career and course of life
11) Morphine -- clean out of art, life has lost relevance, leaves this song as suicide note
-This use of mood progression was probably inspired from Goethe'e novel Letters From Young Werther.

Miscellaneous
-The sailor outfit that she wears in the Koufukuron video is of a Petty Officer 3rd Class in the United States Navy.
-In KZK, Shiina is credited as "Princess Shiina 'Sadist' Ringo"
-In the first talent contest Shiina entered (Talent Scout Caravan 1994), her entrant number was 77 (symmetry even from the beginning!)
-She gave birth to her son on July 12 (not sure what year)
-Ringo is the one whistling in Tomosaka Rie's song "Mokuren no Cream"
-Muraishi Masayuki had to play drums for both Ringo and Yuming's tours at the same time. Thus, both tours were planned so that no 2 concerts were on the exact same day. Murai then married one of Yuming's backup singers.
-Kaoru from Dir en Grey is a fan of Ringo. They met once on Music Station, and she said this to him:
"I like your manicure, but don't you play the
guitar? It will fall off". Kaoru replied with, "I can always get another
one".
-Ringo has claimed she intentionally decided to get pregnant without being married first.

Zecchoushuu
-The single places heavy emphasis on medication. The outside box has a layout very similar to medicine, and the pictuers inside feature her clutching her stomach and head as if she's ill.
-Underneath the icon of the toxic apple, it reads "pain and fever releaver"
-Ringo and Kameda both don't have any arrangement credits. Instead, the band itself is credited (ex: written by Tensai Praparat)
-On the box, the following is written:
* This is medication for the soul, so it is not edible.
If you accidentally injest it, please see the head teacher
of your academic grade, the chief of your work department,
or your mentor immediately.
* Furthermore, if you give up on this product, we cannot
be held responsible at all for your actions. We apologize
for the inconvenience.
* Those with heart problems and those who are suckers for
authority should refrain from using this product.
* No medicine exists to cure idiots.

Tomosaka Rie
-Rie had similar stage personas as Ringo. On some lives, Rie appeared as Sakamoto Eri which was supposed to be a strong rocker woman, opposed to Rie herself who is a typical Jpop artist.
-The total time for the Shoujo Robot single is 12:12
-In the linear notes of the single, it credits Rie, Ringo and others as Expert Bad Girls
-Ringo took the photos for the cover and such
-Notice in the video it's Ringo who has control: She begins the song (playing the piano) and ends it (she bows first, Rie makes sure to bow after)

Shouso Strip
-Each of the first 6 songs has to do with what Shiina considers a crime, and each of the final 6 songs has to do with what Shiina considers to be the punishment for the crime.
-The album runs 55:55
-Go here for more info on the symmetry of Shouso Strip:
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Ringo_Jihen/ind...p?showtopic=991

Interviews and Translations (none of which were translated by me)
-This is a translated article from Rockin' On Japan April 2000, talking about Shiina's photoshoot (pics here: http://shiinaringo.se/pics/index.php?dir=....00&sortby=name)

Location Hunting for the Soul

The concept for the photo shoot this time was thought up by none other than Ringo Shiina herself. `For the next interview I`d really like to do the photo shoot at a love hotel, ya` know. I have a friend who`s a photographer, and her pictures from when she stayed at one one time were so cute!` Ringo Shiina, a love hotel, Ikebukuro ---- I get the picture!

`But I dunno` know where the place is, though.` Um, I`ll find it for you. I contacted the photographer, borrowed the pictures Shiina had, and finally found a room that looked the same in a love hotel guide. `An outward appearance of Colonial Style and symmetrical forms.` ... I see. When I went for the preliminary inspection I discovered that it was an extremely popular room and it`s hard to find it open no matter when you go. I continued to write `Rabuho Excursion` on our company schedule board, only to be reviled by the president, `You`re fired!` and have the female employees talk about my acts of `sekuhara` behind my back.

February 15, 11 AM, I finally find the room open and was able to check it out. No doubt about it, this is the room! Just as I expected, how `thick` -- the air was on this day after Valentine`s, the sheets still not changed from the day before.

-This is an old translated letter that comes from Shiina's website, announcing her pregnancy:
Hello everyone. This is Ringo Shena.
Facing a new century, lots of time has already passed, but Happy New Year. Recently, I have been unable to bring you any new sounds. I'm sorry. All the schedules have been fully planned, so please check them out later.

Actually, I have a reason to be here and I've thought a lot about it and I'd like to take over this space and talk to you. If you would like, please read on.

Now, there is a new life growing in my stomach. I've had menstrual pains strong enough to make me pass out, but as they have stopped, I have come to miss them. (But I digress...) But this is totally different from saying "I accidentally got pregnant".

The man I have been dating and I decided "OK, let's have a baby", so we worked hard to make one. If I say things like "work hard", etc., I guess many people will start to think of many processes in work, like pre-production, rehersal, camera rehersal, general production... (But I digress...II) But, when the time came, I did once think "Implantation complete". (But I digress...III) Because my intelligence is scarcely considerable, I think I was really lucky when I said "OK, let's have a baby" and daily I am constantly amazed by the mystery of this tiny life. The baby is due in May (those of you who counted back, shame on you) and I must apologize for taking to long to get the news out to you. Soon, I am told, I should be entering a safe, stable phase but up until now if I didn't keep an eye on my condition, it couldn't be said if the child in my stomach was developing correctly or not. Of course, I wanted to let everyone know earlier. Anyway, I have made a decision with the father of the child in my stomach to help each other and to live with each other. I'm okay. Everyone, there is no need for worry. Oboshimese.

Now, the co-creator of this child that I've talked about is a priceless partner to me, so let me give him a simple introduction.

The person whom you are reading about has given me his support on a daily basis and to cut to the chase, he was a part of last years' tours "Gekokujo Extasy" and "Zazen Extasy" and the guitarist of the band Gyakutai Glycogen, Junji Yayoshi. The reason I chose him is that he doesn't use his guitar or effectors overwhelmingly. But, if for some reason, I am asked by a reporter or something like that, I am thinking I would answer "Because of his impersonation of Master Katsura Sanshi..."

This is getting rather long, so I had better come to a conclusion soon.
From now on, as always, I will continue to live "Always truthful".

I am very grateful for everyone to listen to me. Thank you for your support. Thanks. Have a nice day.

Shena Ringo, 22 years old

-This is the letter that Yayoshi Junji wrote:
For parties and journalists,

Hello,
As announced at TOSHIBA EMI's site, YAYOSHI,who is a guitarist and a producer, belongs to my office, got married Shena Ringo at 11/25 2000.
At present they have no plan for the wedding ceremony.
We wish them to be always happy and also succeed in their music activities. But it's a private matter, so that we can't accept any interviews and we have no plan for another public announcement. Please forgive it, and sorry for only having annouced this in writing.

Message from Mr. YAYOSHI.

I MEAN IT !!

Tokyo Jihad 2007.04.02 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frecklegirl (Post 18)
-Each of the first 6 songs has to do with what Shiina considers a crime, and each of the final 6 songs has to do with what Shiina considers to be the punishment for the crime.

Is that really so?
How is Yokushitsu a crime?
Identity?

frecklegirl 2007.04.02 04:44 PM

yah, thats Freackled's crazy theory. XD I don't think anyone agrees with it, but it is interesting, if only it were true.

To argue your point, though, Yokushitsu has like.. drowning references (?? I dunno, haha). And Identity is all about the greed of the music business.

badtzmaru 2007.04.03 08:15 PM

My favorite topic!

I still don't see her cutting her wrist in the Gibusu cover!! >_< It looks like she's about to, but the knife is not actually in her skin. Gah, I think I need to buy the actual single and see for myself. :blink:

I want to find out more about those albums' themes!! >_< Here's what Freackled posted about "Tsumi to Batsu" in the old RJ forums, for reference:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freackled@Dec 14 2006, 11:06 PM
I have some trivia about the video, but nothing too deep about the actual meaning.

Tsumi to Batsu is the middle track that seperates the album Shouso Strip in half. The title means "Crime and Punishment" and the structure of the album as a whole is very similar to Fyodor Dostoyevsky's novel "Crime and Punishment". The beginning halves of both the novel and Shiina's album deal with crimes, and the last halves deal with the according punishments.

Here's the symmetrical structure of the novel:

Furthermore, the license plate on the car split in half in the video reads (or at least half of it reads) "Prestuplenie i Nakazanie" which is Russian for "Crime and Punishment".

According to some source I'm sorry I don't have, apparently in the Magazine Quick Japan Vol. 31, the car is actually hers. This might be the car that she refers to as Hitler in Izonshou. It supposedly broke down at a stoplight and never restarted. She was just going to trash it, but then had the idea to use it for the video. The rumor is that she spent 20,000,000 yen to have it cut cleanly in half but I'm not sure how authentic this statement is (also, since we see her DRIVING this broken down car at the beginning and end of the video, I'm not positive that this story is true).

That's all I got! As for the green goopy stuff, the sword, and the red outfit... I'm not sure it has any meaning other than for aesthetic value.

And, that article from Rockin' On Japan (April 2000) is just plain weird. :blink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by frecklegirl (Post 18)
Ringo has claimed she intentionally decided to get pregnant without being married first.

It's not that I distrust Ringo, but I wonder if this statement and what she said in the letter (regarding her pregnancy) is really true. If so, I can't think of any reason why she'd want that. (I'd be really happy if she had some super cool meaning behind that, too. >_<) I dunno, she just doesn't seem like the kind of person that would be happy with that decision, especially for her child.

But anyway, I wonder who Master Katsura Sanshi is... :blink: And, it's so cute how she numbers her "But I digress..."s XD

timuist 2007.04.04 01:37 PM

I heard that the Character I-no in the Video Game Series Guilty Gear was modeled after Shiina Ringo. I'm not 100% sure, but they have much similarites.

CatchFiveBats 2007.04.05 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timuist (Post 413)
I heard that the Character I-no in the Video Game Series Guilty Gear was modeled after Shiina Ringo. I'm not 100% sure, but they have much similarites.

Yes, I-No is indeed based on Shiina Ringo.

Look in the "Music References" section here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-no

arutea 2007.04.06 06:17 AM

Wow! That's amazing trivia! I definitely agree with Gips. :D

haruhi-suzumiya 2007.04.07 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad (Post 82)
Is that really so?
How is Yokushitsu a crime?
Identity?

Yokushitsu is about a girl drowning herself, probably but unclear because her love died.

Identity's about....well, the first half seems to be about a person who expects something out of her man. The last half seems to be about someone being nervous after this happening. It looks like the girl in the song was rapped and it's more about the rappist. Rape is a crime, don't you say?

milk 2007.04.07 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haruhi-suzumiya (Post 744)
Yokushitsu is about a girl drowning herself, probably but unclear because her love died.

Identity's about....well, the first half seems to be about a person who expects something out of her man. The last half seems to be about someone being nervous after this happening. It looks like the girl in the song was rapped and it's more about the rappist. Rape is a crime, don't you say?

Think you mean 'raped' and 'rapist'. Or did you do that on purpose? :) This thread is why I say I'm a casual fan. I didn't notice any of these things when I watched the videos... ( >_< )

Tokyo Jihad 2007.04.07 05:37 PM

Well Milk, don't feel that way. Thats stuff you only "get" after you've translated the lyrics and made heads or tails of em. Which not even I do.

arutea 2007.04.10 04:04 AM

Oh and Marunochi Sadistic... I love FLCL... no wonder I can't stop listening to that song. ><

frecklegirl 2007.04.15 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haruhi-suzumiya (Post 744)

Nope, it's about the greed of the music business. No rape at all ^^

EmilScherbe 2007.05.12 02:58 AM

A line from Souretsu
Quote:

空を斬つてゆく包丁 Kuu wo Kitteyuku Naifu
This is her word play.
She used to wonder why knife has 'k'.
So she inserted pronunced 'k' to knife, クナイフ Kunaifu.

This クナイフ was appeared in Utaite Myouri's booklet prior to KSK.

oasis_heart3 2007.05.19 04:27 PM

Hey, I was wondering if you take contributions to this thread? I just found out something today, about "Yume no Ato":

Yume no Ato
According to this page on "The Tokyo Incidents" fansite...in a March fanclub newsletter, there was a short interview with Ringo Shiina, where she discussed all of the tracks on "Heisei Fuzoku". Here's what she said about "Yume no Ato" (the first part comes from the interviewer, the second part is Ringo's response):

Track 12: “Yume no ato”
—If my memory serves me, this song is used during the best part of Sakuran. Even though the arrangement is different from the Kyoiku version, it’s still traveling on the exact same vector. The theme is universal.

R: Thank you. I’m trying to change myself so that I will never be able to write this kind of song ever again. I had a dream that my child had been drafted. I don’t want to feel that kind of restlessness.

Feel free to reword that to what you think is best, frecklegirl. =)

JimmyKoria 2007.05.19 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilScherbe (Post 4868)
A line from SouretsuThis is her word play.
She used to wonder why knife has 'k'.
So she inserted pronunced 'k' to knife, クナイフ Kunaifu.

This クナイフ was appeared in Utaite Myouri's booklet prior to KSK.

I've never actually got to look at the lyrics in kanji before and I would have never known she used the kanji for knife (houchou?) and just pronounced it like the english/katakana form, naifu.

Marty256 2009.01.24 03:25 AM

Here's another one for the list, though it's pretty trivial (?...pun not intended).

The 'coda' in Kronekodow is a quote of the theme from "Manteca", a pretty well-known afro cuban jazz standard written by Dizzy Gillespie.

a_grumble_cake 2009.01.24 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty256 (Post 44921)
Here's another one for the list, though it's pretty trivial (?...pun not intended).

The 'coda' in Kronekodow is a quote of the theme from "Manteca", a pretty well-known afro cuban jazz standard written by Dizzy Gillespie.

huh... that's cool! I'm going to google that.

Orenji 2009.01.24 07:42 AM

I watched a "Manteca" perform and it didn't remind me of Kronekodow at all '_'.

ShinjiPG 2009.01.24 11:08 AM

Thanks for reviving this thread Marty, I never read it before.
Just wanted to mention her son was born in 2001, regarding this in the first post:

Quote:

-She gave birth to her son on July 12 (not sure what year)

Marty256 2009.01.25 06:29 PM

Hey, no worries Shinji.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orenji (Post 44937)
I watched a "Manteca" perform and it didn't remind me of Kronekodow at all '_'.

Yeah, it wouldn't remind you of Kronekodow at all, but what Iwata plays (the melody) in the last 15 seconds or so of Kronekodow, when the band switches to a mambo sort of feel, is Manteca. or at least a reference to it.

ShinjiPG 2009.03.26 01:32 PM

Hmm, can anyone provide a source for that statement about FLCL being influenced by "Marunouchi Sadistic"? I can't find that info anywhere else.

EDIT: Huh, there's this, but it still not that "official".

ShinjiPG 2009.05.26 04:19 PM

Sorry for the double-post.
Someone added a lil' info at the Shiina Ringo wikipage, here.
In the second paragraph it says:
Quote:

She once called herself in "Shinjuku-kei Jisaku-Jien-ya (新宿系自 自演屋, the person who performs in a play of her own writing in the Shinjuku style)". She currently considers herself a singer of mood-songs and a light music player.
Anyone knows if she actually said that bolded part stuff?

kuro_neko 2009.05.26 05:50 PM

there is no quote for that....

considering what she wrote on Adult, the entire direction of Variety, and the songs she has written from Puffy, Tomosaka Rie, and even TOKIO these past few months, that would seem entirely incorrect. Her music is nothing but light.

Osiris12345 2009.05.26 06:04 PM

Well, if it's referring to 軽音楽 (keiongaku) then that would explain it. The Japanese definition of light music basically means popular music.

ShinjiPG 2009.05.27 01:18 AM

I don't really believe she said that, too. It looks like some kind of exagerated translation of something she may have said, like "I like light-music" lol

Osiris12345 2009.05.27 01:28 AM

Yeah, you're probably right. God only knows how much of what is on there is even true. That article is just a nightmare to read through. It seems like every time I visit it there's something new added. It's just a massive unorganized cesspool of random Ringo facts. :whacko:

merman 2009.05.27 02:25 AM

Shinji, there's this on Ringo's wiki article:

Quote:

In 1999, Haruko Haruhara of FLCL was produced under the influence of Ringo Shiina. There is the heading "Pursue the opinion of Haruko Haruhara = Ringo Shiina(ハルハラハル子=椎名林檎説を追う)" in the liner notes of Vol. 1 of the DVD, and the book "flclsm FLCL Design Works"(Kadokawa Shoten) also has description that there are some Ringo fans among Director Kazuya Tsurumaki and other staff.
No citation but if it's DVD liner notes it should be easily check-able :)

ShinjiPG 2009.05.27 02:38 AM

Oh, thanks merman! Didn't notice that part =)
It does seem legit. I wonder if any EMFer has the FLCL Vol.1 DVD? I guess it's also about time to buy them anyway.

Ringo~Bingo 2009.05.27 02:40 AM

I've got a deluxe FLCL boxset, I'll have a look in the booklet.
(might find something)

Ringo~Bingo 2009.05.27 02:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here we are. :)

Attachment 3602

ShinjiPG 2009.05.27 02:57 AM

Great! Thanks a lot Bingo =)
This is definitely awesome and now I feel like the "Byoushou Public" video I made makes more sense lol

merman 2009.05.27 02:58 AM

LOL I have to watch FLCL at some point finally. It always seemed so good and original, yet I never got around to actually watch more than the first part...

ShinjiPG 2009.05.27 03:05 AM

I wonder what would happen if instead of The Pillows, they asked Ringo to make the soundtrack for the show.
One thing we know is that both FLCL and The Pillows are very popular in the west, and the connection between the two is likely to be the reason for that popularity. Perhaps it would be a very strong turning-point in her career and we wouldn't have what we have now. Parallel Universe Ringo D:

kuro_neko 2009.05.27 03:11 AM

well, for all we know is they could have asked her and she turned them down. we only know what ringo says yes to, obviously, she we just assume she is easy, I mean we see her giving stuff away to TOKIO, Puffy, Tomosaka Rie, songs used for dramas, written from dramas, etc etc, but who knows.

Entry№1 2009.05.27 01:59 PM

I don't know if anyone here has pointed it out, but if you listen really carefully on "Jazz a Gogo" from Utaite Myori, you can hear Ringo singing Pink Lady's "UFO" in the background during the choruses. It happens later in the song.
I think Ringo must have tried to put "UFO" on the album, since she performed it several times, but was not allowed for some reason. This was her kind of protest. I kind of hesitated bringing this up, because it's possibly copyright infringement... perhaps even touchier than "Rinne Highlight".

frecklegirl 2009.05.27 02:50 PM

Oh yeah, that's been mentioned here before (although it might have been on the old forums and not on EMF). Still pretty crazy.

kuro_neko 2009.05.27 04:25 PM

where did Ringo perform UFO? Do we have an audio video of this? Also, I listened very hard and closely for this and I couldn't hear it. Can you provide exact times? also which part of the song she is singing?

Entry№1 2009.05.27 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuro_neko (Post 55006)
where did Ringo perform UFO? Do we have an audio video of this? Also, I listened very hard and closely for this and I couldn't hear it. Can you provide exact times? also which part of the song she is singing?

So many questions!
I know she performed it at Kyoei Buranko in 1999 (the same concert she famously covered "Creep") and with phase-1 TJ in their amazing medley at Sunset Live 2004. Both videos have been on YouTube at some point or another. I have reason to believe she performed it more often than these two times, but I'm not 100% certain.
If you listen to Jazz a Gogo, she starts at about 1:40 I think. It's the background Ringo chorus singing it as a counter-melody to Ringo scatting. It sounds kinda muffled and distorted. Here's the catch: you can only hear them WHILE the main Ringo scats.
Speaking of old bootlegs, there was an awesome Japanese site I found a few months ago that had a list of all of Ringo's songs (up to about 2004, I think) at what concert she performed them at in a vertical checklist. I lost it, though. The web-page's filename was like "jitenlist.html" or something. I've been using the old official ringo site as a bootleg reference since then.
On a side note, I'm really glad shiinaringo.se is back. I missed it so. :wub:

JimmyKoria 2009.05.27 05:14 PM

Shiina Ringo performed UFO once during Gakusha Ecstasy as well :3

frecklegirl 2009.05.27 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Entry№1 (Post 55008)

It's not back; only the main page was even taken down (and it's still that way). You just finally discovered the rest of the site was still up!

kuro_neko 2009.05.27 09:46 PM

I can't discern it in the actual jazz a go go, but listening to ringo cover it at Gakusha Ecstacy I can hear how the part leading up the chorus sounds very similar to the chord progression in jazz a go go, probably because subconsciously the melody is a melding of the two songs and all along the great melody line in jazz a go go was thanks to UFO. Awesome song.

zarya 2009.05.28 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Entry№1 (Post 55008)
So many questions!
I know she performed it at Kyoei Buranko in 1999 (the same concert she famously covered "Creep") and with phase-1 TJ in their amazing medley at Sunset Live 2004. Both videos have been on YouTube at some point or another. I have reason to believe she performed it more often than these two times, but I'm not 100% certain.
If you listen to Jazz a Gogo, she starts at about 1:40 I think. It's the background Ringo chorus singing it as a counter-melody to Ringo scatting. It sounds kinda muffled and distorted. Here's the catch: you can only hear them WHILE the main Ringo scats.
Speaking of old bootlegs, there was an awesome Japanese site I found a few months ago that had a list of all of Ringo's songs (up to about 2004, I think) at what concert she performed them at in a vertical checklist. I lost it, though. The web-page's filename was like "jitenlist.html" or something. I've been using the old official ringo site as a bootleg reference since then.

Talking about this page here?
http://www.geocities.jp/novedua_epsi...ituenlist.html
I love that page too XD
Once when I had lost that link I asked for it here and I think it was Pariscombo who found it again!

Entry№1 2009.05.28 08:31 PM

YES. That is the webpage. Thank you so much. :wub:

ShinjiPG 2009.05.29 11:55 AM

I'm sure I'm not the first person to stumble on this site, but I never saw it mentioned in EMF and it's just really interesting:
Ringo Sheena's web site

A couple of things I noticed:
- Ringo Sheena instead of Sheena Ringo.
- It was made during the Utaite Miyori promotion, which probably means they were going for a overseas exposure.
- "The show was set up to faithfully reflect her musicality, and was announced and webcast to the world in different languages via the Internet, drawing overwhelming reaction from many countries." (about Zazen Xstasy)

I didn't know the Zazen Xstasy webcast was "announced in different languages" and had "overwhelming reaction from many countries". But that's not really my point.
What I am wondering is if there really was any intent to promote her outside of Japan at this point in her career, because most of the rumours that circle around is that she doesn't want to perform outside of Japan for a number of reasons, namely the fact that she is afraid of taking a plain (or was it boat?) and also the fact that she loves Japan very much so she doesn't want to "betray" her japanese fans. There's also some other proof for this, and that is Migoto's report on what Hirama said during his participation in the MONORAL brazilian tour, mainly that Ringo doesn't feel like performing outside Japan.

So I see two possibilities:
- Toshiba-EMI wanted but Ringo didn't.
- Both wanted but failed.

waxringo 2009.05.29 12:35 PM

ugh.....that is really old
and they havent touched it
it's kinda sad

Orenji 2009.05.29 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waxringo (Post 55230)
ugh.....that is really old
and they havent touched it
it's kinda sad

Well, it's TOSHIBA EMI. What could we expect?

frecklegirl 2009.05.29 01:03 PM

It wasn't made during the time of Utaite Myouri; that was just the last time it was updated.

ShinjiPG 2009.05.29 01:07 PM

Ok, thanks for the correction.
I thought it was during UM because the Profile text speaks of her career up until that point, like they were trying to summarize it for a new audience, and also because there's no other news items.

ShinjiPG 2009.06.10 07:40 AM

Sorry for the double-post...

I found this at the japanese wikipedia:
Quote:

1997年、知人を辿って英国へ2か月間ホームステイする。その経験がのちに楽曲等に影響を与えることになる。 また、当時売り出し中だったBONNIE PINKがテレビに出ているのを見た同級生の母親がそれを椎名林檎と誤認して彼女の母親に伝え、その話を聞いた母がホームステイ先の本人に「あんた、いつ日本に帰ってきたの?」という電話をかけてきたこともあった。
Any clue what it says? I can spot Bonnie Pink :P

papilionidae 2009.06.10 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG (Post 56599)
Sorry for the double-post...

I found this at the japanese wikipedia:

Any clue what it says? I can spot Bonnie Pink :P

BONNIE PINK was mistaken for Ringo, by Ringo's classmate's mother XD
She told Ringo's mother that she saw Ringo on TV, and Ringo's mother called her: You came back? When?
(Ringo was having her study tour in England at that time)

:whacko:

ShinjiPG 2009.06.10 08:12 AM

Well, Bonnie Pink's style during her debut was kinda similar to Ringo's, I guess. Thanks a lot papi, that's an interesting piece of trivia :)

papilionidae 2009.06.10 08:18 AM

Because of their moles, I guess XD

ShinjiPG 2009.06.10 08:26 AM

Woah, geez Louise. I never noticed her moles, let alone notice they are almost in the exact same places as Ringo :x

clakaz 2009.06.10 11:12 AM

from Ringo Allergy

While she was in London, she got a message from home. 'I got a message from the mother of one of your friends here at home, she said 'Yumiko's out under the name Bonnie Pink!' Is this true?'

Of course, Bonnie Pink isn't Yumiko Shiina. However, at the time Yumiko had short red hair, and a similar mole near her mouth, so it's not a stretch to say they looked alike.

Yumiko had her mother send her Bonnie Pink's CD from Japan. She liked her music. And she was also relieved that the music was different than the music she was writing herself.

more details on Unauthorized Ringo Biography thread:

http://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=212

Entry№1 2009.06.18 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More fashion-inclined forum members may have already noticed this, but I just wanted to point out that some of the clothes in the "Mayonaka wa Junketsu" music video have appeared elsewhere in Ringo's career. Some of them are obvious, others not so much.

bromithia 2009.06.18 09:55 PM

Whoa, didn't notice that before. :P Cool.

merman 2009.06.18 11:07 PM

I didn't either! So much for the ARGHHH horrible hat she likes to wear nowadays :D

kuro_neko 2009.06.18 11:22 PM

I haven't noticed her wearing them during appearances but I have seen the production shots they took of her in costume for the PV. you can see her wearing various clothes from the animated version and even the actual cat suit she wears later in the Ringo no Uta PV. I'm assuming they took the pictures to send to the artists to ease production. kind of cool she is using them again.

ShinjiPG 2009.06.19 02:51 AM

The hat should be restricted to animated music videos. And even then...

Thanks for this EntryNº1! Where is the first photo from?

Orenji 2009.06.19 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG (Post 57414)
Thanks for this EntryNº1! Where is the first photo from?

I think it's from Electric Mole. And wow, the hat appeared in the Mayonaka PV? OMG.

Yahiko 2009.06.25 12:01 PM

where did you see this, Kuroneko? o.o

kuro_neko 2009.06.26 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahiko (Post 58572)
where did you see this, Kuroneko? o.o

Ringo Book

Yahiko 2009.07.08 08:56 PM

I hope no one mentioned it also..

OSCA pv was based on blur's Crazy Beat:

blur - Crazy Beat

EmilScherbe 2009.07.09 02:17 AM

please use search function
http://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=341

Yahiko 2009.07.09 07:29 AM

yes, I did so

but didnt got any useful information

try yourself! search for 'blur crazy beat'!

bromithia 2009.07.09 08:37 AM

That was already discussed when the OSCA PV was released.

Orenji 2009.07.09 08:56 AM

Oh, I didn't remember that D:! Shocked again. That Blur song is cool, btw.

Yahiko 2009.07.09 09:02 AM

not everyone was around when OSCA was released ;)

yes, I like the song too :O

Yahiko 2010.06.03 08:01 AM

During Spa&Treatment tour, after coming back for the first encore, Kameda asked the audience: "Which kind of treatment do you prefer, Spiritual or Physical?" (心と体、どちらのトリートメントがいいですか) . Depending on the audience's answer, they then performed Karada (体 Physical) or Kokoro (心 Spiritual). Kokoro had a different arrangement.. that's probably why the official translation of 心(kokoro) was changed from 'mind' to 'spiritual', and 体(karada) from 'steam' to 'physical' in their official website.

Scribble R 2010.06.03 10:07 AM

Haha, Choose Your Own Adventure. Neat.

Cinders 2010.06.11 01:34 AM

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...0/1d7e7946.jpg

Is it just me or does SG cover intentionally look like the start of the Koufukeron PV? or maybe it's just a coincidence?

Orenji 2010.06.11 06:07 AM

Oh, good point! I hadn't noticed :O!

zyoeru 2010.06.12 05:54 AM

I think it's just a coincidence because in Koufukuron she's laid down on the floor whereas in SG she's hugging her knees.

Scribble R 2010.06.20 01:00 AM

Ringo Gillette

I didn't know this existed. Haha.

(Why did they say that Kissmint was her CM debut?)

Glathannus 2010.06.21 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scribble R (Post 69563)
I didn't know this existed.

You can find it in one of the early Seteiki Healing volumes.

Orenji 2010.06.21 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scribble R (Post 69563)
Ringo Gillette

I didn't know this existed. Haha.

(Why did they say that Kissmint was her CM debut?)

I think they meant it was her CM debut since she joined the Incidents. I think there's even an older CM of a soy milk in which she was almost undressed with a katana as Tokyo no Onna sounded hahaha.

EmilScherbe 2010.06.21 03:35 PM

All CM clips in Seiteki Healing is fake.

clakaz 2010.06.22 05:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 4859

Image from the La Salle de Bain PV for Heisei Fuzoku DVD.
Two things: the trees that resembles the antlers head of Ringo Expo and the knife dropping scene reenacted on the same show.

zyoeru 2010.06.24 03:21 PM

http://tokyo.cool.ne.jp/r_minimum/lyrics.html#stoicism

I never knew Stoicism's lyrics before now.

Yahiko 2010.06.25 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilScherbe (Post 69575)
All CM clips in Seiteki Healing is fake.

yup, i wondered the same when kissmint cm was out. all those cm are fake, so the one with 3min is actually her real debut cm on tv :)

and stoicism lyrics are parts of tsumi to batsu reversed!

Orenji 2010.06.26 03:36 AM

Is this fake too?
Soy milk CM

Yahiko 2010.06.26 04:27 PM

yes!

EmilScherbe 2010.06.26 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orenji (Post 69609)
Is this fake too?
Soy milk CM

CM is fake but products itself is real.
FoodChemifa Soy Milk

following companies are listed in ending credit of Seiteki Healing

FoodChemifa
Toshiba Lighting & Technology
Paul & Joe Beaute (Manicure)
Kawano Paper (Tissue Paper)
Gillette

and the man in Tissue Paper and Razor CM is Gyakutai Glycogen's keyboardist Minagawa Makoto.

Jeane 2010.09.05 03:10 PM

Anyone else notice this? Second is Robbie Williams' debut which came out two years before.

Glathannus 2010.09.05 03:27 PM

The most fundamental difference between the cover arts is that Robbie Williams is the center of attention and there's at least a little space between him and the photographers. On the Muzai Moratorium cover art, the title is the center of attention, and Shiina Ringo is simply another member of the dense crowd. Then when you open the jewelcase up, you see Shiina Ringo in a photographer role - in other words, a spectator role. She establishes very adamantly in her packaging that she herself is not the center of attention - her production warrants more attention than she herself does.

Granted, Shiina Ringo gets her inspiration from a lot of sources and there's some obvious connections between the outfits she'll wear at a concert and the outfits other notable performers have worn, but I don't think this Robbie Williams cover art was any inspiration for Muzai Moratorium's cover art.

Ringo~Bingo 2010.09.05 08:32 PM

Never noticed the covers before :/ Life Thru a Lens is a great album!

frecklegirl 2011.01.25 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zyoeru (Post 69596)
http://tokyo.cool.ne.jp/r_minimum/lyrics.html#stoicism

I never knew Stoicism's lyrics before now.

those aren't the official lyrics, just what someone wrote down of what they heard her sing. The official lyrics are MUCH more condensed (into like eight words).

W3iHong 2011.02.28 10:02 AM

I have this gut feeling that Toki Ga Bousou Suru is inspired by Claude Debussy's Ballade.

The melody at the beginning sounds very similar. If I'm not wrong(I'm no music expert), the key signature of the piece is also the same.

Maybe it's of no surprise because Claude Debussy was Ringo's favorite composer!:P

Ballade

W3iHong 2011.03.01 02:00 AM

Sorry for double posting but... I just discovered that shuukyou was inspired by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky's swam theme.

The melody is the almost alike... The shock at the start and then the slow haunting music after that which gets progressively louder just like shuukyou.

Swan Theme

I wonder just how many SR's songs are inspired by these great classical pieces lol. Well, of course, she trained as a ballet dancer when she was little. Maybe she heard many ballet pieces?

TeslaGuy 2011.03.01 02:30 AM

To embed: [yt=(Title)](letter and number sequence after ?v=)[ /yt] . No space between the [ and the /
It keeps trying to embed my advice if I write it correctly. You can always go back and edit your posts if you want.

vielleicht 2011.05.17 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W3iHong (Post 72748)
I wonder just how many SR's songs are inspired by these great classical pieces lol. Well, of course, she trained as a ballet dancer when she was little. Maybe she heard many ballet pieces?

Two covers and one lullaby in Utaite Myouri, that goes without saying? And actually «Toki ga Bousou Suru» contains a few opening bars in Mozart's KV331 before the final refrain, which is also very obvious.

deadgrandma 2011.05.17 11:11 PM

Her favourite videogame is Road Rash. I have no proof but it is true.

W3iHong 2011.05.17 11:56 PM

Lol It might be an inspiration for Noriki =P

mr. Pillow 2011.05.18 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vielleicht (Post 74486)
Two covers and one lullaby in Utaite Myouri, that goes without saying? And actually «Toki ga Bousou Suru» contains a few opening bars in Mozart's KV331 before the final refrain, which is also very obvious.

I love the Mozart reference in "Toki ga Bousou Suru", song wouldn't be the same without it. "Komoriuta" (based on Chopin's op. 34 n. 2) is also probably my favourite non-original piece by her, ever.

TurtleFu 2011.07.16 05:06 PM

I'm not sure where to put this, so:
Pronouns are pretty damn important in Japanese. I won't go into details (use wikipedia), but generally "atashi" = very feminine, "watashi" = feminine, "boku" = masculine/neutral, "ore" = extremely masculine/very strong-willed

For Shiina, it seems a little strange that in her Muzai Moratorium/Shouso Strip days, she mostly used "atashi", even though she had this image of a "badass rocker chick".

She used "boku" from the late Shouso Strip-era, but she uses it infrequently.

She mostly uses "watashi" to refer to herself right now.

The only time she has used "ore" is in Kronekodow, because it is told from a proud black cat's perspective.

Thoughts?

Nimh 2011.07.16 11:50 PM

^^^^ I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure she keeps to standard address structure within a song, no matter which form she chooses. When she uses "watashi" or "atashi," the you-form is "anata." And "kimi" goes with "boku." Pretty standard.

TurtleFu 2011.07.17 07:21 AM

Well, yeah.
My point is, which pronoun you use in Japanese is a part of self-identification and how you want to come across to the listener/receiver.

Like, MM-era she had an image of this really tough, non-feminine girl, but she used the very feminine "atashi", and as she got older she switched to "watashi" (which is less feminine and little more mature).

I'm curious why she uses "boku" in certain songs.

so_cold 2011.07.17 08:43 AM

I'll defer to anyone with proper Japanese skills here but I once asked someone why a female singer used "boku" when I lived over there (pretty sure it was early Utada), and was told it was just a songwriting convention.

More tenously I always associated SR's use of "atashi" to her own identification with her lyrical subject matter, precisely as an ordinary girl, just well okay not a pretty frilly dresses ordinary girl. I mean there's Memai and there's Henry Rollins.

My ex-girlfriend was a cool, sussed chick as well and she used "atashi". I think it's fairly normal for young women. I texted a friend of mine about it but she's not back to me on that yet :(

TurtleFu 2011.07.17 10:04 AM

I've heard some women use boku in an everyday way. One was a lesbian.

It's interesting because if Muzai Moratorium is supposed to be Ringo's most personal songs, the songs themselves seem to reflect an idea of self as an ordinary girl, and we all know Ringo was anything but ordinary. She even felt that way in 17.

So, then, the question is: are the subject matter of the songs what Ringo actually felt, or what she thinks she should have felt?

I think it all comes down to the distinction between the performer (Shiina Ringo) and the person (Shiina Yumiko). Or, if you want, the persona and the person.

frecklegirl 2011.07.17 04:52 PM

Watashi is not feminine. It is neutral and can be used by either sex.

I do agree though, she's gone from atashi to watashi. Probably when you reach a certain age, maybe after 25, you feel silly using atashi anymore.