Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Main Forum (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where one song justifies the existence of another (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=2156)

Scribble R 2014.12.09 02:22 PM

Where one song justifies the existence of another

The fourth track on Sunny (I'm terrible with newer titles) isn't anything we haven't heard from Ringo before. But it sets up JL005 as the 'star' of the album. It creates this lazy summer atmosphere that you take for granted until it's terminated, blue screen of death style, via accordion. JL005 then tries to reboot Sunny's sunshine.

Mayakashi Yasaotoko and Togatta Teguchi does this in reverse, where the former has a daring quality about it that Togatta Teguchi immediately follows up on. You might criticise Togatta Teguchi for following through on its premise of 'Sharpened Tricks' as a solo song, but the contrast between it and Mayakashi Yasaotoko makes it a success in its own right.

Boutoumin is this with BB Queen. Kabuki may fail at being this unless it's paired with Shoujo Robot.

Inseu 2014.12.14 01:31 PM

This thread feels like confusing, illogical literary analysis from a college essay written right before the deadline.

Mayonaka wa Junketsu justifies the existence of other spy songs cos it's so damn good?

Genjitsu o Warau justifies the existence of its prelude Genjitsu ni Oite cos otherwise it is a boring little piano piece that wouldn't make any sense?

Uki's poverty justifies the existence of Tokyo Collection.

Ringo's fertility justifies the existence of Noa.

Noa justifies the existence of Ringo's fertility.

Scribble R 2014.12.14 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inseu (Post 92689)
This thread feels like confusing, illogical literary analysis from a college essay written right before the deadline.

My life story =p I just mean: "songs you would hate if they didn't enhance the next/previous song in the sequence"

I wouldn't listen to track four on Sunny if it didn't lead into track five. Or: track five is a great song, but the average track four is key to its greatness.

I totally forgot about the Genjitsus, and they're the most obvious examples of songs that rely on each other. I didn't need to listen to Oite before Warau until I included Kao - Oite - Warau - If You Can't Touch It as part of my Kyouiku playlist.

kalmia 2014.12.20 07:34 PM

I think this applies to Honnou and the song before it.

Maou 2014.12.23 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalmia (Post 92750)
I think this applies to Honnou and the song before it.

EMF doesn't appreciate great guitar work.

kalmia 2014.12.24 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maou (Post 92781)
EMF doesn't appreciate great guitar work.

Are you admitting that is all the song has going for it? :P

Maou 2014.12.26 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalmia (Post 92803)
Are you admitting that is all the song has going for it? :P

I'd say it's the main attraction when there are three guitars in the song and the vocals are sung through a guitar pedal. :(