Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Site Announcements/Feedback/Suggestions (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Ringo Jihen 4th Anniversary (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=849)

Glathannus 2008.09.16 01:33 PM

Ringo Jihen 4th Anniversary

Four years ago on this day, Loire started up the Ringo Jihen community under the InvisionFree system. It lasted two and a half years before we migrated to Electric Mole under the vBulletin system, and now Electric Mole has lasted one and a half years as a continuation of that. Ringo Jihen had 600 members and 20,000 posts before it closed down. Electric Mole has amassed roughly 800 members and 40,000 of its own posts, in 60% as much time as it took to build up Ringo Jihen's history.

If there's anything about Ringo Jihen that I miss, it's that new members would more often introduce themselves, and the people struggling to speak English felt more enthusiastic and less afraid to speak out. Once in awhile I wish we had quotes-within-quotes, but vBulletin's Multi-Quote option is a somewhat adequate substitute for that. Sometimes I also wish we could have secondary titles on our threads. But those are both minor concerns for me. One thing we technically can have, but haven't invested any time into, is more banners. Ringo Jihen had a lot of them. That was one of the things the former co-admin got right.

I like that Off-Topic has become much more... personal than we have treated it in the past. I don't really miss the old Off-Topic, but I kinda miss New Member Introductions getting their own board. I miss a few posters who were more vocal in Ringo Jihen, like evilboxevil. There are also dozens of other members that were somewhat active in Ringo Jihen, who suddenly became silent after Electric Mole started up, even though most of them have accounts here. On another note, I certainly don't miss the magnitude of spam we used to get, from bots and antisocial fans alike.

For everyone who partook in the migration from Ringo Jihen to Electric Mole, has it been everything that you had hoped? What social factors or system features did we gain or lose, that are important to you?

merman 2008.09.16 04:30 PM

I haven't - but it sounds like these forums, and their former self, really have some history. What's unusual to me is how good I feel here, even though I sure don't post often... but it certainly doesn't happen all the time with me; so, I'm glad to have "met" you guys and hope EMF will last much, much longer on :)

Ringo~Bingo 2008.09.16 04:33 PM

This site will live forever!! we have the right people running the show and it's friendly with good folk so here's to the future!

Tokyo Jihad 2008.09.16 07:23 PM

Ever since that Tobias guy changed his user-name, this community turned just as Shiina's career since :hmph:

ShinjiPG 2008.09.17 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad (Post 38398)
Ever since that Tobias guy changed his user-name, this community turned just as Shiina's career since :hmph:

Hopelessly bad?

Tokyo Jihad 2008.09.17 04:31 AM

I was going for annoying frustrating and repetitive. :lol: ;)

Lena-chan 2008.09.17 04:32 AM

hmmm
I like how I made lots o friends here!
back in 2005 I was used to read their posts when I was a lurker XD
I never figured out that someday I would end being friends with them, and would want so much to meet them in real life o.o

ChickShhh 2008.09.17 04:59 AM

Captain_Harlock 2008.09.19 03:29 AM

Oh the old forums~

Tell me you miss me too Glath! :'(

Loire 2008.09.21 03:50 AM

I'm still alive...I think o_O
When I first created the old forums I thought it wouldn't last long and only get few users. I'm amazed that the community got so big and just turned 4..really ;_; Our little child is an adult now