View Single Post
Old 2007.10.04, 01:18 PM   #315
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by zach View Post
Hi everyone, I've been away for quite some time. I am chagrined to see that I've missed maybe 1200 posts of Hedo and Jihad arguing over trivialities and perceived offenses! Anyway, other than that, I have a lot to catch up on. :p
Not cool Zach.

Originally Posted by zach View Post
Shallow - the music lacks depth, mostly from a songwriting perspective, but arguably also from an emotional perspective. The album generally comess across as feeling fun, but flat. It's mostly level ground, with few hills and valleys. (Disclaimer: I haven't attempted to understand any of the lyrics yet. When I'm talking about the emotions I'm referring to solely the delivery, not the content.)
I mainly agreed with everything you said, but I just wanted to talk about this part. I think you really explained it very well. This is what I have been struggling with the album. I really love listening to it, but I haven't rated all my songs as such because I just can't they just don't get over the hump and have that moment, the climax of the song which really captures me like their older songs. Tsukigime Hime and Sake to Geko, for example, sound like something I just have to love, but I don't. I really like them but they just don't have that emotional power that their previous works have. They have their "hills and valleys" but they just don't go high enough to really capture me.

It's sort of disappointing whenever I think about it, but never while I'm listening to it, I just go along with it and enjoy it. Fortunately, like you said, the music is pretty easy to swallow, and it's easy to just go along and enjoy it. I don't want to look too far into the future since we barely just got the album, but I think anyone who did not like the album should not be so down on the band because it was such a crazy theme that I doubt we'll get anything like it again. Since I really like it, though, I wish Ringo had worked more on it because it is a good theme and idea that she could have only made better.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote