View Single Post
Old 2007.11.28, 07:08 PM   #60
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Well, the DTS isn't exactly included within "The Main Feature". They created a separate DVD Title (think of DVD Titles as meta-tracks - it's used to split up overall features while each featurette can have their own tracks or "Chapters" within) for just the segments that featured DTS, even if that meant duplicate video footage. There's optional 48kHz/16bit PCM stereo associated with this separate Title of three Chapters, just like the main and the only form of audio you find on all the other Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen DVDs (except for Gekukojyo Xtasy - which is the only other DVD that stands out). "The Main Feature" with its own Title, is 96kHz/24bit stereo PCM only, and it's all crossfaded.

You need to set your Options > IFO to split files by Chapter, then you need to do Stream Processing, uncheck everything but the audio, and while highlighting the audio, select Demux. I really should come up with a tutorial for this, with pictures and all, but I've been pressed for time lately. Basically you do that and you end up with a bunch of WAVs that most software still won't understand because software is more accustomed to dealing with 48kHz or 44.1kHz. DVD Decrypter will have no problem extracting the raw audio, but then you still need other programs to compress and tag it (unless you like WAV - but I tend to look at it as a nontaggable bloated waste of space).

If you've never singled out the audio in a DVD rip before, this isn't the most rewarding disc for you to start off with, due to the crossfading. If you want standalone audio in 96kHz/24bit, I suggest you check out e-Onkyo. The only problem (aside from needing to deal with registration/purchase pages in Japanese) is you need Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player in order to perform the purchase, and this is all because of Digital Rights Management that Windows seamlessly takes care of in the background. Unless you break the DRM (and there are ways - depending upon what version of Windows and WMP you have - newer usually means less chance), you can only play the purchased songs in Windows Media Player, and only on the system you purchased those songs with. If and when you break the DRM, the tracks truly are lossless 96kHz/24bit, and you can convert them to WAVs or any kind of unprotected lossless you want, though most forms of lossless specialize in 44.1kHz/16bit. WavPack is the undisputed king of high samplerate lossless compression, in terms of how much the audio has been squeezed, versus how smoothly it plays. At lower resolution (like 44.1kHz/16bit), most audiophiles prefer FLAC.