View Single Post
Old 2010.02.01, 11:47 PM   #44
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

YUKI and yui, lol. I don't listen to yui and I know almost nothing about her. YUKI is really apart and aside Ringo in my mind in withstanding and changing while managing to define the Japanese music industry. She has run the gambit of almost every type of style you can associate with "pop," even including more punk rock sensibilities back during Judy and Mary days. I personally prefer her solo work, there is some true innovation and it isn't defined by a certain sound, whereas when I hear Judy and Mary, with the exception of a few classic songs, I immediately think of Japanese Rock in the 90's (but that is because they largely defined the scene, they were HUUUUGE. YUKI is probably more prolific and definitely has been around longer than Ringo. She has been a giant in the recording industry since the early 90's, when Ringo was still a preteen...)

YUKI is definitely best when she is just being wacky. Her music runs the gambit and her debut album, Prismic, is more experimental alt rock with some strong ballads, while her more recent stuff is a bit more experimental electro pop. If your interested in checking her out I'd get ahold of five-star-, which was the album she released about two years ago to celebrate her 5 years as a solo artist and it contains all of her single a-sides up until wonderline. it will give you a taste of her breadth and you will manage to hear most of her singles (with the exception of the last 4/5 singles), so I'd start there. Since each album and era of hers tends to be quite different it is hard to pick any one album to start with because she has truly changed.

but basically she has Prismic, Commune, Joy, and Wave for original albums. Prismic is a mix of experimental alt rock, ballads, and overall is most similar to the Judy and Mary mix. Commune is a continuation of Prismic with a transition to a more defined sound and less crazy disco/rap/experimental breakout moments and a more streamlined sound. JOY is when she started to make the transition towards a more defined pop sound, away from rock, and WAVE is where she really reached her current image of electro pop princess. But with songs like Fugainaiya she still rocks pretty hard, even JOY has funky rock songs (Wagon). YUKI is just really eccentric and versatile. She is a hard cookie to sum up. Her singles are great and listening to five-star- is a great introduction, but man, some of her greatest songs aren't singles, naturally, so thats when I would start to venture into the albums.

five-star- is missing wonderline, kisha ni notte, rendezvous, cosmic box, and ureshikutte dakiauyo for singles. all of the above mentioned are on the new original album except wonderline. If you watch the videos for those four I think you can get a sense of the way her sound is changing, she seems to be making a progression back towards a more organic pop rock sentiment, almost like a mix of commune and WAVE.

rendezvous is a favorite of mine, the video is a lot of fun

http://www.im.tv/Vlog/personal/3002882/5618838

kisha ni notte is also my favorite straight up ballad she has done since Prism on Prismic (her second single from the first album). the video for this one is a really good representation of her as a person. no wig, just her being herself.

http://v.ku6.com/show/0KW9esrwEROhL5CR.html

EDIT: oh and for the record YUKI >>>>>>>>>>>>> Judy and Mary

oh and this is why YUKI is amazing. David Lynch would be honored. the dude with the cloud on his head scares the shit out of me.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...76094795367842

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2010.02.02 at 12:01 AM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote