View Single Post
Old 2010.12.31, 05:50 PM   #6491
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

Emil, you're welcome. Oum Kalthoum is my absolute favorite in Arabic music, and one of my absolute favorites, probably second only to (the very different) Sun Ra. I've probably mentioned her before. I tend to prefer her work from before the 60s, but I think the beginning of Baid Anak (also from the 60s) demonstrates more about her artistry than "Enta Omri" (at least in any realization of it that I've heard--I haven't clicked on that youtube link to see if it's unfamliar). Her earlier recordings allowed more room for her to improvise, but I think you can see her ability to seize the moment in this opening section of Baid Anak:

"Oum Kalthoum Baed annak (part 1/11)

I am actually the world's greatest pseudo-expert on Oum Kalthoum.

Oh, incidentally, I recommended that Bachar Mar-Khalife because of it's connection to prog. and electronic music. I didn't even realize you were interested in Arabic music, or had lost track. As far as Marcel Khalife goes, my favorite work remains At the Border from the 80s. I don't generally find his instrumental work very satisfying, or even enjoyable, and he's devoted a lot of energy to that over the years.

Last edited by Superficial Fan : 2010.12.31 at 06:23 PM.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote