View Single Post
Old 2012.03.04, 08:03 PM   #114
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

I think one of the things I'm going to miss most about Tokyo Jihen is discussing the albums on the forums. You'll find no two members that think the same way and it's really interesting to get different perspectives on the well-received albums and the lackluster ones. Anyway, without further ado, I guess this will be my last Tokyo Jihen album review.

1. Konya wa Karasawagi -
The best track on the album and, what a surprise, it's Ringo's. It's just solid. It's got a good melody, nice instrumentation, and it grooves well. It's the kind of track I find myself listening to repeatedly, which is a good sign. I feel like this encapsulates the best of the Phase 2 sound.
2. Kai-horrordust - Horror is a very appropriate word for this actually. This is Izawa's BB Queen. Good god, this is bad. I mean, frecklegirl really said it all. If you want my exact thoughts on this song, just read her post.
3. Time Capsule - Thanks to this song, we don't need to listen to Kameda's other tunes. He was considerate enough to place his entire TJ career output into one 4 minute time capsule. How thoughtful of him. Thank you, Kameda.
4. sa_i_ta - Ukigumo scores another hit here. It's a hot dance tune. Very groovy, very infectious. They definitely needed more tracks like this. Love those background vocals, that guitar, and the synth. Cool track. Definitely my second fave.
5. Honto no Tokoro - Meh. Hata's vocals are definitely... interesting. This didn't leave me sold on Hata one way or the other. I kind of lean towards this being a throwaway track, to be honest. The melody ranges from awful, to grating, to somewhat tolerable. It wants so badly to be a Kimaru and it just falls short in every regard. Nice try though. It would have been interesting to see what else Hata would have come up with if he wrote more songs in the band.

Overall it left me feeling kinda meh. Maybe it's not such a bad thing that these guys are breaking up after all.