View Single Post
Old 2012.10.07, 09:14 PM   #15
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
Just want to say, mad props to BlueApple and Turtle for keeping the feminism/anti-sexism alive in this thread. Inseu, there's no such thing as a "male feminist"--just a regular old "feminist," which isn't limited to gender, and honestly anyone who believes men and women should have equal rights is, by definition, a feminist, and that's just about all of us these days, whether we like identifying with that word or not--and no need to quickly reassure us that you aren't one, heaven forbid anyone think you're less of a man!!

And I do believe Ringo is very clever and very subversive. I think you're letting the sex appeal she holds for you cloud your ability to view her as the intelligent human being capable of exposing and subverting culture that she really and truly is. I don't think most of us would like her so much if she didn't have that appeal of being very smart.
There are plenty of "male feminists". I did bend the term to describe guys who get very angry when an evil fanboy starts to "objectify" his favourite female singer.

Personally, I think these guys are missing out on the "sensual world of Shiina Ringo". Incredibly catchy avant-garde, jazzy pop-rock songs sung by a sexy nurse dominatrix whose powerful voice touches my soul. That's like a twisted fantasy come true.

Also, it's just music...I love her lyrics, but really don't try to over-analyze them and draw conclusions about the artist.

Last edited by Inseu : 2012.10.07 at 09:27 PM.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote