View Single Post
Old 2013.12.06, 06:22 PM   #11
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Hmm... was gonna do 3 each day, but this is addicting, so like an addict would say "just one more"....

14. Scud Mountain Boys- Do You Love the Sun

When I first heard news of a new Scud Mountain Boys album, I was at first excited, then afraid, then excited again. Their 1996 album Massachusetts is one of my all time favorite albums and I didn't want to see the band release a midlife crisis album like so many other bands that come back after 10 years or more. Luckily then, that they delivered the goods. Joe Pernice (one of the few male vocalists I adore) is on the top of his game, and the band (the original lineup of Pernice, Bruce Tull and Stephen Desaulniers) sound like they haven't aged a day.

So what about the album itself? Well, it's a quiet, meditative affair. But it is also very intricate and requires multiple listening to really appreciate. If you are familiar with any of Scud Mountain Boys previous work, or any of Pernice Brothers, you will know that all their work needs time. It's certainly not for everyone, the country elements may be a turn off for some, but for those willing to put time in (or those who are fans of Scud Mountain Boys earlier work) this album is an understated blessing.

I love it quite a bit, and it deserves its place on my Top 20 of 2013 easily.

No youtube clips, buy you can listen to 3 tracks here