View Single Post
Old 2014.12.16, 04:28 PM   #31
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

4. The New Mendicants- Into the Lime

I'm usually one to whinge when artist(s) repeat themselves (see my comments on Sunny for example), but when Joe Pernice and Norman Blake use their new band "The New Mendicants", also featuring Mike Belitsky on drums- as an outlet to bring more of each member's trademark sound, it worked so damn well that complaining would be mere nitpicking. Two minds bring us a singular, beautifully flowing, amazingly rich, robust album of perfect guitar driven pop. Not a dud track on the entire thing and it demanded repeat listens from me. All year long.

Arrangement wise, there's something almost thrilling about these tracks' simplicity and straight-to-the-point structure. On first release, I read an opinion that described this album as 'wonderfully unhurried'- and this description has stuck with me ever since. There is no better way to put it. The New Mendicants find something that works perfectly- and give it enough time to breath and grow.

Both voices bear the characteristics of seasoned singers- both know their timbre well, and use it to full impact. There is a heavy use of harmonizing throughout- and the result is downright heartwarming. Never does it feel like either Joe or Norman are trying to gain some kind of spotlight- it sounds like two friends singing tunes together for the love of it.

Lyrically, this is some of the best work I've heard from either artist. Sure, it's sentimental, but it's always realistic. They create such rich narratives on some of these tracks that it's easy to imagine the story they tell in the listener's mind. Often they pick on themes that have actually happened to most of us- there's never a sense of overkill or hyperbole so these tracks have the power to really hit all the way home, right in the heart.

I cannot recommend this album more to people who dig this kind of indie rock. It's a perfect example of how artists can stick to their roots yet still make something sound fresh and brilliant. Definitely one of the heaviest spun records in this household, I have managed to convert quite a few people onto it with a single play.

Also: that chorus on this track!:

High on the Skyline

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.12.16 at 04:33 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote