View Single Post
Old 2009.06.01, 11:42 AM   #28
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
Currently playing Vagrant Story

Only thing I have to blame is the time it takes to access the weapons menu and change them. One would think that given the importance of changing weapons during the game, they would make it more accessible. I can't understand why they didn't include it in the shortcut system =F
Just because you can swap weapons in mid-battle, doesn't mean that's what the game developers want you to be doing. I always ran around with just one actively-in-service weapon, but that shouldn't surprise anyone.

This is my old faithful,
a Hagane Wakizashi with a Power Palm and three Braveheart gems,
that I beat my first playthrough with:

DP: 135          PP: 110
  Class:        Affinity:            Type:
  Human: 109    Physical:  40       Blunt:  0
  Beast: 109         Air:   8       Edged: 15
 Undead: 109        Fire:  23    Piercing: 12
Phantom: 109       Earth:  91                          Org:
 Dragon: 109       Water:  50                        Range:  3
   Evil: 109       Light: 109                         Risk:  2
                    Dark:  59                   Attack/STR: 41
                                                Attack/INT:  5
                                                   Agility:  7
Now although this wakazashi certainlly had some room for improvement, the thing that made it a really nice underdog weapon...
Wakizashis have a fairly nice flow when you are trying to Chain with them
3 Braveheart gems were giving me +60% on my chance to hit, so even when I was getting a little too carried away with my Chains and my Risk was getting too high, a lot of my next hits could still connect with the enemy.
It should also be noted that although most of my Affinities weren't very good, Light was all I needed against the final boss. So this really was a weapon that could carry me through the game, but it wasn't as effective against some of the mid-bosses as I wanted it to be, or some of the side-dungeons that get unlocked during the second playthrough.

Now, moving on to more serious business.
This is my no-room-for-improvement weapon,
a Damascus Rhomphaia with a Spiral Hilt and three Arturos gems:

DP: 280          PP:  57
  Class:        Affinity:            Type:
  Human: 190    Physical: 190       Blunt: 20
  Beast: 190         Air: 190       Edged: 20
 Undead: 190        Fire: 190    Piercing: 20
Phantom: 190       Earth: 190                          Org:
 Dragon: 190       Water: 190                        Range:  5
   Evil: 190       Light: 190                         Risk:  3
                    Dark: 190                   Attack/STR: 64
                                                Attack/INT: 52
                                                   Agility: 15
Now, this weapon is not without its drawbacks. It gives you 3 Risk everytime you take a swing with it, and it doesn't have the nicest flow when it comes to Chaining. However, with the longest range of any one-handed weapon in the game, I can still use a shield, plus this weapon is strong enough that it's not like I need to Chain an enemy very much to kill them. The other notably nice thing about it is the very high Durability Points compared to the very low Phantom Points. It takes you almost no time at all to begin dishing out double-damage with that weapon, and once that starts, the rampage continues on for far longer than it ever could with my Hagane Wakizashi. You see, by the time I got full PP on the old weapon, most of its DP was already gone, so you never got to have a very long session of "max PP with some DP" (the requirement for double-damage).

I'm very proud of this weapon, and it was totally worth going through the game on a second playthrough, and getting more acquainted and abusive with the Workshop.