View Single Post
Old 2014.05.16, 10:58 PM   #1054
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by xephyr View Post
Hope I'm not bursting a bubble, I meant it about instruments mostly, but I do know what you mean about vocal gymnastics. A good vocal tremolo carries a long way for most people.

incoming rant: I've been into shredders/guitar instrumentals for a while, and the accusation I hear most is how "soulless" and "robotic" it is. Not to say none of it is: there are plenty of people who are horribly boring and unstimulating, and there's a reason they're not grouped with the guitarists most people like. I think this accusation hurts when you think about applying it to any sort of music that isn't produced solely as a product to make money.

Some people may not be able to enjoy or comprehend technical music, but that doesn't mean the musician who wrote it is some sort of note-machine robot who can't blend skill with assumedly interesting composition. Personally I think emotion comes more from the composition and musical labor of a piece than hearing variations of some slow-pace 3-chord rock song with poetic lyrics and an attractive person behind it
edit: for the record this is not directed towards anyone on the forum it's a huge sweeping generalization towards casual music fans in a sense
Technical music can carry passion too. Example in math rock:

Passionate: Converge
Robotic: tricot