View Single Post
Old 2010.09.08, 06:59 PM   #58
ecogazoo

ecogazoo is headed in the right direction

Now, I'm not sure if JM Romeo and I were talking about exactly the same things, or if NIMH Rat is referring to me. But if anyone counts me as someone who "doesn't acknowledge Ringo as an erotic icon", they're incorrect. Nor am I a fan of censorship, except reasonable self-censorship in a community setting. Seemingly escalatory exchanges like this one raise my fear that I haven't exercised mine thoroughly enough.

Ringo is too remote a personality (an image which she also seems to cultivate) for me to regard her as an accessible sex object. I require some illusion of "accessibility" in my sex objects! Others are free to differ. But if I had any Ringo fantasies, I would spare them out of (what I perceive as) consideration for the sensibilities of others. Why, I don't know.

Now, if JM Romeo is talking about "general celebrity fandom" for Shiina Ringo, that's a separate issue which would be (even) harder to take seriously here. I know far more about the personal lives of Western celebrities whose professional output I know or care absolutely nothing substantial about, yet I will involuntarily learn more whenever I watch TV or buy a candy bar.

So if I learn the name of Ringo's son, or even her bra size, it will still be less than I (and millions others) know about the personal life of some Jonas kid or a Victoria's Secret model. I'd rather know about Ringo. Who cares?
ecogazoo is offline   Reply With Quote